Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:24:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: How thick..  (Read 962 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
How thick..
« on November 06, 2020, 08:58:09 am by IDM »
.. can people get.?

Been watching BBC news this morning.  They had a report on how Remembrance Sunday would be different this year and had a few interviews including some WW2 veterans.

One old man was a glider pilot on and after D Day and was subsequently taken prisoner of war.

The journalist asked him - ?And on Remembrance Sunday do you take a moment to remember your lost friends??

What the absolute f**k.?? There is a big clue in the word ?Remembrance?

Talk about asking the bleeding obvious.!!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 09:57:29 am by IDM »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Darren

• Forum Member
Re: How thick..
« Reply #1 on November 06, 2020, 10:19:07 am by Darren »
I saw that IDM, i wish the gentleman had answered with "What do you think?"

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 06, 2020, 10:45:45 am by IDM »
He said he thought about then much more often than that..

I despair at the lack of common sense sometimes.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 06, 2020, 10:47:23 am by EasyforDennis »
Remember we are talking about the BBC here.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 06, 2020, 11:03:17 am by Axholme Lion »

I'm surprised the BBC haven't banned Remembrance Day for being racist, despite the fact the poppy remembers British, Gurkha,Indian Australian, South African, New Zealand, Indian, Maoris, Canadians, Red Indians and so on who all fought and died.

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 06, 2020, 12:12:40 pm by Hounslowrover »
Do you mean Native Americans? Why would it be racist to name all nations that gave their lives for us, surely that?s being inclusive?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 06, 2020, 12:51:22 pm by MachoMadness »

I'm surprised the BBC haven't banned Remembrance Day for being racist, despite the fact the poppy remembers British, Gurkha,Indian Australian, South African, New Zealand, Indian, Maoris, Canadians, Red Indians and so on who all fought and died.
I too like to get angry at things that haven't happened and never will happen.

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 06, 2020, 05:49:38 pm by redwine »

To be fair I don't think the BBC has a monopoly on non thinking reporters/presenters.

I am constantly amazed that when interviewing politicians they are unable to ask the obvious follow up question. It's clear they cannot think on their feet.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 08, 2020, 09:10:19 am by Donnywolf »
... and not assisted by Eye witnesses (ironic name really) that they seek to interview just after events and end up with ...

Well what did you see ? Eye witness says usually " I heard all 't sirens going off and loads of Police running around and ambulances n stuff" In other words - they saw nothing at all

They once asked a bloke about the Bomb at Paris Airport what he had seen - he gave an answer similar to that above - and added plus lots of smoke. Whats happening now asked Reporter ? Well we are stuck on Coach near Airport as they wont let us get any nearer. In other words he was nowhere near the "action" and never had been

The other one that "gets me" is if there is a shooting or stabbing or mass poisoning in a Street somewhere the "interviewee" always says at some point "well I didnt expect that - this is just such a quiet street"

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 08, 2020, 09:18:58 am by redwine »
Or the oft used "well, he kept himself to himself"

So a bit of a loner, hmmn

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 08, 2020, 11:16:17 am by BillyStubbsTears »

To be fair I don't think the BBC has a monopoly on non thinking reporters/presenters.

I am constantly amazed that when interviewing politicians they are unable to ask the obvious follow up question. It's clear they cannot think on their feet.

And the Andrew Neil alternative is as bad. Going into an interview with a deliberate agenda to trip a politician up over a minor contradiction in a detailed policy area.

It's absolutely the problem that journalists can't think on their feet, or call out lying for what it is when it happens in front of them. So they get played by the very few out and out liars.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 08, 2020, 11:49:41 am by SydneyRover »
I haven't watched the interview so this a scenario rather than a point of order but inteviewers do often have to lead people through an interview for the benefit of the viewer with dixers.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012