Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:06:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: All Electric v Petrol/Diesel  (Read 6792 times)

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
Re: All Electric v Petrol/Diesel
« Reply #60 on November 20, 2020, 01:59:07 pm by i_ateallthepies »
EV can't come soon enough, it'll stop me putting petrol in my diesel   :blush:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on November 20, 2020, 03:56:45 pm by albie »
National Grid seem very confident about the future demand for Leccy;
https://twitter.com/ng_eso/status/1328997906670608386

With the UK well placed for installing new offshore wind farms, the blades turning at night have a ready market in parked vehicles re-charging.

Fleets, electric buses,delivery vehicles and folk with home charging access are going to mop up the off peak production, and start the day fully charged at low cost price of electricity.

Street parkers might have a lamp-post option, but will adopt a different strategy of top up by use of supermarkets and work places etc.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on November 23, 2020, 08:24:51 am by Axholme Lion »
National Grid seem very confident about the future demand for Leccy;
https://twitter.com/ng_eso/status/1328997906670608386

With the UK well placed for installing new offshore wind farms, the blades turning at night have a ready market in parked vehicles re-charging.

Fleets, electric buses,delivery vehicles and folk with home charging access are going to mop up the off peak production, and start the day fully charged at low cost price of electricity.

Street parkers might have a lamp-post option, but will adopt a different strategy of top up by use of supermarkets and work places etc.

Why would someone's workplace pay to put in a charging point and even if they did who get's to use it? I can see a punch up in the car park...

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on November 23, 2020, 11:54:07 am by selby »
  At this moment in time to pay a premium on an overpriced EV with basically unproven battery lifetime, and discounts being offered especially if you have the cash on some very good diesel and petrol models its a no brainer, what you save on the initial outlay will pay for a lot of fuel especially if you keep the car for  a decent number of years when hopefully EV technology is better and their is a chance of a government scrappage scheme.
   Modern cars are more than capable of lasting until 2030, in lots of works car parks the most common registrations range from 04 upwards so have had careers of over 10 years on the road.
  Of course if you like badge engineering you could always drive a Renault in a German cars clothing and pay a hefty premium.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on November 23, 2020, 12:45:21 pm by Axholme Lion »
  At this moment in time to pay a premium on an overpriced EV with basically unproven battery lifetime, and discounts being offered especially if you have the cash on some very good diesel and petrol models its a no brainer, what you save on the initial outlay will pay for a lot of fuel especially if you keep the car for  a decent number of years when hopefully EV technology is better and their is a chance of a government scrappage scheme.
   Modern cars are more than capable of lasting until 2030, in lots of works car parks the most common registrations range from 04 upwards so have had careers of over 10 years on the road.
  Of course if you like badge engineering you could always drive a Renault in a German cars clothing and pay a hefty premium.

I intend keeping my current motor up until the deadline for petrol cars to be taken off the market. By that time i'll be 63 so a new motor should see me out, God willing. Or I may get run over by a bus tomorrow, which apparently is more likely than a fatal case of Covid.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on November 23, 2020, 05:47:25 pm by albie »
AL,

To answer your point why should workplaces install chargers;
1) Fleet operators will need them for company vehicles
2) Once a Carbon Tax comes forward (it will, soon), businesses will manage their liabilities accordingly
3) They will be effectively zero cost, because the installation will be offset against tax
4) It will become the new normal very quickly, and anyone slow to act will be at a disadvantage

The question is not why would you, but why you would not?

jamie_lf

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on November 23, 2020, 06:34:05 pm by jamie_lf »
I have a Tesla Model 3 as my company car.

I'm with Octopus Energy on their Go tariff and charge my car between 00.30 - 04.30am for 4p kWh. It costs me the grand total of £6 to travel 300 miles.

It's great to be part of the future and isn't the least bit inconvenient when charging etc.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on November 23, 2020, 07:35:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Those are astonishing numbers Jamie.

I'm pretty pleased with the savings I'm making switching from a BMW520 to a Prius. I reckon I'll save well over £1000 per year on fuel and tax. But with your numbers that would be another £1000 per year saving on top of that. I can't have an EV at the moment as we have on street parking, but when that infrastructure is finally sorted, I'll be straight in for one.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on November 23, 2020, 08:46:59 pm by albie »
BST,

Vehicle to Grid is the project referred to;
https://octopus.energy/blog/vehicle-to-grid/

It was covered by BBC Click at the weekend.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000pr0y/click-the-electric-vehicle-revolution
Last few minutes of the show.

Not on YT yet, but will be soon.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:58:57 pm by albie »

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on November 23, 2020, 08:56:34 pm by dknward2 »
BST there is a company called connected kerb that is hoping to install on street charging in lamppost and bollards.

The other up side of an ev is no expensive timing belt and water pump changes which at a dealer can be around 600 pound or even oil changes at a basic change at a garage of around 120

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on November 23, 2020, 09:04:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Like I say, I'm ready to jump as soon as the charging is available.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on November 23, 2020, 09:36:59 pm by Janso »
I'm hoping cars the size of your Mondeos and the like become affordable sooner rather than later, I'll have finished paying for my current car in a couple of years and I'd like to get a decent sized EV afterwards.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on November 23, 2020, 10:39:49 pm by dknward2 »
Like I say, I'm ready to jump as soon as the charging is available.

Nice to here I personally don’t have one either but as soon as I can afford one that is the right size looking at the VW I.D4 or Skoda eynaq iv

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on November 24, 2020, 08:02:21 am by Axholme Lion »
BST there is a company called connected kerb that is hoping to install on street charging in lamppost and bollards.

The other up side of an ev is no expensive timing belt and water pump changes which at a dealer can be around 600 pound or even oil changes at a basic change at a garage of around 120

Did they do the lighting for the Phoenix club?

Yes, that's really good news that service receptionists, parts people and mechanics will all be out of work, wonderful.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on November 24, 2020, 09:47:48 am by dknward2 »
Not at all axhomle I'm a parts supervisor so will effect me aswell.

Mechanics will just retrain cars will still crash and people will still cars fixing just not as often or regular service anyway

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on November 24, 2020, 09:58:49 am by Axholme Lion »
Not at all axhomle I'm a parts supervisor so will effect me aswell.

Mechanics will just retrain cars will still crash and people will still cars fixing just not as often or regular service anyway

But all the profit lies in service parts and cam belt kits. Cars may still crash but if your dealer is a certain German owned franchise there is no trade business as the TPS centres have taken all of that. The only cream you would be left with is pollen filters, discs and pads. Then you have warranty work which you would only make less than 5% profit on.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:03:23 am by Axholme Lion »

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on November 24, 2020, 07:53:23 pm by dknward2 »
Used to be Audi now at merc, dealers will get smaller or less staff and not replace them when they start to leave.

I recommend people who want to work in the motor trade learn as much as possible around electric cars and charging infrastructure also green energy, solar and battery storage as that will be the next big business

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on November 24, 2020, 08:22:14 pm by StocktonRover »
When have the government scheduled the regional power cuts in the North to retain that level of control over everyones freedom?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 08:18:21 am by StocktonRover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on November 24, 2020, 10:02:40 pm by drfchound »
When have the government schedule the regional power cuts in the North to retain that level of control over everyone's freedom?

Pardon the pun....... but I guess it will depend on who is in power.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on November 25, 2020, 07:53:07 am by Axholme Lion »
When have the government scheduled the regional power cuts in the North to retain that level of control over everyone's freedom?

Get yourself to West Butterwick, we have them every week! :(

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on November 25, 2020, 07:54:53 am by Axholme Lion »
Used to be Audi now at merc, dealers will get smaller or less staff and not replace them when they start to leave.

I recommend people who want to work in the motor trade learn as much as possible around electric cars and charging infrastructure also green energy, solar and battery storage as that will be the next big business

We can't get much smaller here, there's only me and the young lad. :)

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on November 25, 2020, 08:52:44 am by dknward2 »

As long as your dealer and manufacturer is embracing EVs you should be fine. My Audi site had three charges installed before I left, at merc we have three plus more in the workshop, Porsche across the road are having 2 high powered chargers installed. So we look like we are moving forward.

As people will be spending less on service and on fuel they maybe willing to buy accessories (again very little profit) and may drive more so needing the few wear and tear item that are needed more often.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on November 25, 2020, 10:13:41 am by Axholme Lion »

As long as your dealer and manufacturer is embracing EVs you should be fine. My Audi site had three charges installed before I left, at merc we have three plus more in the workshop, Porsche across the road are having 2 high powered chargers installed. So we look like we are moving forward.

As people will be spending less on service and on fuel they maybe willing to buy accessories (again very little profit) and may drive more so needing the few wear and tear item that are needed more often.

We have the charging points installed, right by the outside tap for the pitch cleaner!  :lol:
The special tooling and equipment required for the workshop for EV is a small fortune. When people get a repair done they often cough at the price but I don't think they understand how much money a dealership has to invest in mandatory training and tooling. If I was a businessman I wouldn't want a car dealership, it's an awful lot of money to invest for small returns.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on November 25, 2020, 06:41:52 pm by IDM »
Has anyone leased an ev or hybrid, and how close in cost to petrol.?

I’m thinking of leasing instead of buying next time..

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on November 25, 2020, 06:57:01 pm by Ldr »
I lease through work so finances may be different but the hybrid works out about 70 quid per month less than the petrol equivalent due to bik tax

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on November 25, 2020, 07:04:11 pm by IDM »
This is something we are all going to have to deal with eventually - but prices to buy for anything decent need to come down.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on November 25, 2020, 09:04:44 pm by albie »
Tesla extending the range for their models;
https://insideevs.com/news/456579/tesla-improve-range-700-km-435-miles/

All the others will need to up their game as a result.
It will be interesting to see who pitches for the mass market at a lower price point.

A good place for EV info is the Fully Charged Show on YT;
https://www.youtube.com/user/fullychargedshow?disable_polymer=true
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:09:49 pm by albie »

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on November 25, 2020, 09:31:30 pm by Janso »
This is something we are all going to have to deal with eventually - but prices to buy for anything decent need to come down.

That's what's putting me off to be honest. They all look shite and you can buy a decent used Jag for less than what a good brand new EV costs.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on November 26, 2020, 07:51:59 am by Axholme Lion »

That's what's putting me off to be honest. They all look shite and you can buy a decent used Jag for less than what a good brand new EV costs.

Also as it's new technology you could end up shelling out big money now and in three years time find yourself stuck with the motoring equivalent of a Betamax VCR.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on November 26, 2020, 05:32:17 pm by Janso »

Also as it's new technology you could end up shelling out big money now and in three years time find yourself stuck with the motoring equivalent of a Betamax VCR.

Yep, there is that. I almost ended up doing a trade plate driving job a year ago when I was between jobs for BMW and the amount of different things I had to know about the different types of EVs I could potentially be driving was mad because several had ever so slightly different tech.

I think the future will perhaps be in these all inclusive car subscriptions that are starting to become a thing where you can change them every month in some instances.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012