Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:00:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Blackpool game  (Read 8113 times)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Blackpool game
« Reply #60 on November 24, 2020, 09:37:02 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I agree completely. Just think these can be put in the played poorly still got a result which is a mark of decent teams. Certainly need to up our performance level quickly.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on November 24, 2020, 09:40:09 pm by steve@dcfd »
The criticism isn’t without merit though is it.
We have only played well in one half of those last two matches.
Four points is good but the level of performance hasn’t been.

I agree we’ve not played well in those first halves but let’s get Richards90mins now and JJ, Gomes and Taylor back in the squad and we should see better performances.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on November 24, 2020, 09:44:26 pm by drfchound »

I agree we’ve not played well in those first halves but let’s get Richards90mins now and JJ, Gomes and Taylor back in the squad and we should see better performances.

It should make a difference, I hope so anyway.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on November 24, 2020, 09:45:05 pm by Campsall rover »
Any one noticed certain posters are missing after that brilliant come back tonight and 3 great points for the Rovers.

Strange isn’t it they only appear when we don’t win.   ;)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on November 24, 2020, 09:46:34 pm by drfchound »
Any one noticed certain posters are missing after that brilliant come back tonight and 3 great points for the Rovers.

Who do you mean mate.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on November 24, 2020, 09:49:54 pm by selby »
Bang on there Hound, we have done it in quite a few games, the difference today was passing the ball forward instead of sideways and back like we did in the first half in which we had by far the most possession in the stats  and very few shots at goal, the whole team being at fault.
  When we play like that it is a centre forwards grave yard, they don't have a chance.
  I thought their penalty a bit iffy, but John got caught with the cross getting mixed up in a tussle when he just had to keep the player on the outside, their second a comedy of errors.
 Lots of positives in the second half, combined with a bit of luck but nobody can complain about the spirit we have shown in the last two games, now we need a bit of consistency not only in a few successive games, but during one game, it is very rare teams get away with such different swings in form during one match, and it isn't the first time we have shown the trend this season.   

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on November 24, 2020, 09:50:32 pm by Campsall rover »

Who do you mean mate.
Now you are trying to stir it hound.  :boxing:  :)   You bad boy. I’m not biting.  ;)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on November 24, 2020, 09:51:12 pm by Bentley Bullet »
My mother-in-law is 89, 4ft 10", diabetic, with failing eyesight, dodgy hips, a dicky ticker and incontinent.  She could have played in goal for Blackpool tonight and kept a clean sheet in the first half.

Second half Rovers were much, MUCH better and I applaud them for that.

So, to summarise, I thought we were shite in the first half, and very good in the second half.

I guess I'm just a fickle fan!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on November 24, 2020, 09:53:16 pm by drfchound »
My mother-in-law is 89, 4ft 10", diabetic, with failing eyesight, dodgy hips, a dicky ticker and incontinent.  She could have played in goal for Blackpool tonight and kept a clean sheet in the first half.

So, to summarise, I thought we were shite in the first half, and very good in the second half.

She could have had a quick toilet break on one of the occasions that Madine was rolling around crying.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on November 24, 2020, 09:54:11 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

I said there's fair criticism hound, but there are those who jump on players and DM's back when things go badly and resort to the same old things.

I'm quite critical of Fejiri's overall contribution however you have to weigh that up against him playing up there as a one. I'm fairly sure DM sees him at his best when he plays in a two or an interchangeable three! He's not really a hold up man but I'm sure we'd all like him to be better at it.

As said, when we get JJ, Taylor and Gomes back, and maybe Tulloch, it's a whole new dynamic with DM having better options.

Richards was excellent when he came on. I sometimes thought he wasn't fully committed but he's one of those players who has the knack of coming out of challenges with the ball against the odds and can open things up. Great chipped cross for James who took the goal with aplom!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on November 24, 2020, 10:00:30 pm by drfchound »

I said there's fair criticism hound, but there are those who jump on players and DM's back when things go badly and resort to the same old things.

I'm quite critical of Fejiri's overall contribution however you have to weigh that up against him playing up there as a one. I'm fairly sure DM sees him at his best when he plays in a two or an interchangeable three! He's not really a hold up man but I'm sure we'd all like him to be better at it.

As said, when we get JJ, Taylor and Gomes back, and maybe Tulloch, it's a whole new dynamic with DM having better options.

Richards was excellent when he came on. I sometimes thought he wasn't fully committed but he's one of those players who has the knack of coming out of challenges with the ball against the odds and can open things up. Great chipped cross for James who took the goal with aplom!

Yep, I agree with most of that Baz.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on November 24, 2020, 10:02:49 pm by Campsall rover »

No an honest summary BB  fickle or not.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on November 24, 2020, 10:18:50 pm by Alan Southstand »
All I can say after that is thank goodness we have defenders who know where the net is.

Relief all round, I suspect.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on November 24, 2020, 10:22:59 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Let's be fair that first half was naff, poor defending no creativity and the attackers not doing their bit.

But the lineup and style the manager picked didn't work.  One change made it all click. Unfortunately Copps was the one who came off and it was the right thing to do.  But Richards was superb and we won the game becauSe it all connected better up top.

The manager will surely be thinking about his selections of late. In fairness to him he has limited options in attack and midfield. Get them guys back and we will win a lot of games, just as we were earlier this season.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on November 24, 2020, 10:35:43 pm by Alan Southstand »
My problem with us at the moment is this consistency thing and, thinking about the Club’s strategy going forward. If you remember back to last season, we kind of hit the wall with teams that set out to stifle us, then as the season wore on, we started to get round the problem and put some results together.

Fast forward to this season and it appears to be the same story, but with a whole new bunch of players who have to learn what is required in this league. The problem is not going to be resolved, as I can only see another large influx of young loanees again next season. And it’ll be like Groundhog Day once more.

DM must feel like he’s hitting his head against a wall at times.

Still, if it’s the only way through this current crisis, then we have to grin and bare it.

Well done to the manager and players for turning that around tonight - we needed that. Now, let’s try and put a run together.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on November 24, 2020, 10:39:09 pm by Chris Black come back »
It is difficult to reach a judgement on Fejiri. He is left totally and utterly isolated, with only the odd heaved ball lumped up to him. Games do pass him by though. His goal aside on Saturday and I think one other chance, in 180 minutes he wasn't really a threat at any stage. The guy needs some support to perform.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on November 24, 2020, 10:55:37 pm by ravenrover »
As has been said earlier in this thread Fej is not a solitary target man, for me the few times I've seen him he needs to pkay off a front man who can hold the ball up and slip Fej in behind defenders.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on November 24, 2020, 11:09:07 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Interesting to read the Blackpool fans’ view of the game:

https://avftt.co.uk/index.php?threads/doncaster-rovers-v-blackpool-official-matchnight-thread-24-11-20.11464/page-32. Warning, more than 600 posts!

Quite a few didn’t rate the referee, and some were not too happy with Madine throwing himself to the ground. Theirs views on their team in both halves could not have been more extreme. They were ballistic with the result!

(Oops! Just noticed that their forum has been mentioned in another thread...sorry!)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:13:10 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on November 24, 2020, 11:14:03 pm by Alan Southstand »
If Fej isn’t a target man, it makes you wonder why we went for him? DM’s preferred system is 4-2-3-1, so it needs a good solid lad, with plenty of energy, to do that job up top on his own.

He’s been here long enough now to realise the demands on him and what he needs to do to cement himself in the side. If anything, he’s regressing rather than progressing on that front. Maybe he’s a lad who needs plenty of time to feel comfortable with what’s needed, but whatever it is, he needs to up his game a hell of a lot more.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on November 24, 2020, 11:16:27 pm by since-1969 »
The Blackpool result could well a season definer, with players coming back to fitness, goals are still coming from around the team . 

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on November 24, 2020, 11:58:55 pm by steve@dcfd »
It’s alright talking about centre forward graveyard every time the ball went to Feji it bounced away so defenders job was easy. He doesn’t anticipate he reacts. In the second half when we were better he didn’t collect a good ball and might aswell not been there. To get another striker near him then we have got to play 442 or 352. But we haven’t got a big man for him to play off. So he needs to be mobile not just playing with his back to goal.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on November 25, 2020, 03:01:16 am by NewDonny »

Great comeback, pleasing to see.

Who do you mean mate.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on November 25, 2020, 06:48:53 am by Donnywolf »
Who was that muppet crying like a girl every time the ball went within 10 yards of him ?

Maiden Madine (Withagram) - is there a more apt name for playing like that ?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on November 25, 2020, 07:18:18 am by SydneyRover »
Pretty good value, first game was Ipswich and now Blackpool  :lol:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on November 25, 2020, 09:01:17 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Alan, I think DM would ideally go for a 4 2 1 3 certainly with the ball, and the front 3 consisting of players who are as comfortable in the box and wide and are flexible to pop up anywhere. For example Fejiri, JJ and Tulloch.

He's had to adapt though to what's available to him, which has left Fejiri up top, but looking isolated when the midfield and or full backs don't get up as quickly as he would like. You often hear DM speak about transition, meaning the speed in which we change formation with or without the ball.

You may recall in a couple of earlier games when some commented it looked like we had 12 on the pitch. That's when it works at its best.

I'm sure we hope once we get a full compliment back, we can look forward to that again.

I also think playing twice a week, being on the edge with injuries has an effect on players trying to pace themselves through games rather than going full throttle.

If Blackpool players know there were going to be 5 subs then you can see why their pace was do high from the kick off. We didn't have the same options but hopefully we will soon.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012