Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:46:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Will there be a deal with the EU  (Read 5005 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Will there be a deal with the EU
« on November 22, 2020, 10:12:46 am by wilts rover »
Deal or no deal?

One senior official says: “To tell you the truth, we don’t know - and frankly, I don’t think the PM knows either.”

Long (but good) read on where we are the moment - and what may/or may not happen this week:

https://www.ft.com/content/9dc54ac8-e38b-4b21-9305-71de25c648d3

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Janso

• Forum Member
Re: Will there be a deal with the EU
« Reply #1 on November 22, 2020, 10:26:59 am by Janso »
This is what gets me about all the "get ready for Brexit" ads out at the moment.

I work in logistics and import/export and I've not even been told what exactly I need to ready my team for, because we have no idea what it is we'll be working against!

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 22, 2020, 12:26:05 pm by tyke1962 »
I feel a capitulation coming from Johnson leaving us with a situation that we may as well have stayed in when you dig down in to the weeds and assess the deal .

There's going to be some very angry people in my opinion .

We voted to leave not compromise .

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 22, 2020, 01:15:19 pm by Donnywolf »
I have past caring now I must admit

By the time things pan out and we know whether we were right or not will probably not be clear for 10 years AND as an ordinary man in the street I think it will cost most of the population and I wont be exempt from that

If it works good - if it doesnt then I expect we will rejoin the EU in the distant future poorer for sure but probably no wiser and will have wasted 10 to 20 years

So I have past caring now I must admit

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 22, 2020, 01:26:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Said all along that Brexit was always and only ever about the power struggle on the right of the Tory party. It was never, ever about what was good for the country and it is painful to see how genuinely held convictions of ordinary people have been cynically used.

We are at the end game now. It's clear to everyone that all the shite about us holding all the cards and oven ready deals was just knowing lies to buttress support. The only question now is not whether things will be bad after the transition period ends, it is just how bad will they be.

But that's all secondary. The primary purpose of Brexit has been achieved - putting Johnson in No10 in charge of the most far-right Govt in over 100 years.

Those who voted Leave enabled that. They succeeded in the primary task.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 22, 2020, 01:30:28 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I feel a capitulation coming from Johnson leaving us with a situation that we may as well have stayed in when you dig down in to the weeds and assess the deal .

All trade deals are a compromise.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 22, 2020, 01:33:12 pm by tyke1962 »

All trade deals are a compromise.

Which is why I don't like them .

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 22, 2020, 01:40:47 pm by Janso »

But therein lies the problem. Nobody knew what "Leave" was back in 2016, and you're not telling me everyone who voted Leave voted for no deal.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 22, 2020, 02:09:45 pm by tyke1962 »

But therein lies the problem. Nobody knew what "Leave" was back in 2016, and you're not telling me everyone who voted Leave voted for no deal.

They voted against the four freedoms Janso and any alignment to that with a trade deal is treachery of the highest order in my opinion .

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 22, 2020, 02:32:04 pm by River Don »
To be honest, most leave voters were probably voting against the scale of immigration.

Since Brexit has won the Tories have gone very quiet about immigration. In fact they have dropped all the targets and any talk of getting immigration back to the levels of tens of thousands has stopped.

Ultimately Brexit will not deliver what those who voted for it, thought it would. An agreement will probably be announced right at the very last minute and it will satisfy nobody.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 22, 2020, 02:40:38 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

They voted against the four freedoms Janso and any alignment to that with a trade deal is treachery of the highest order in my opinion .

WTF has a post-Brexit trade deal got to do with the Single Market Freedoms? F**k all as far as I can see. Still, if in your mind it means that we have no post-Brexit trade deals whatsoever - with anybody, because they're always a compromise - as long as you're happy for the entire economy to go tits up as a result, who cares?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 22, 2020, 02:52:52 pm by tyke1962 »

WTF has a post-Brexit trade deal got to do with the Single Market Freedoms? F**k all as far as I can see. Still, if in your mind it means that we have no post-Brexit trade deals whatsoever - with anybody, because they're always a compromise - as long as you're happy for the entire economy to go tits up as a result, who cares?

So why do the French believe they have the same access to our waters as they did whilst we were members of the EU ? .

The economy going tits up is another interesting one , the economy goes tits up at regular intervals , did in the 80's , the 90's , 2008 and will do multiple times again .

Membership of the EU doesn't shield you from anything as far as I can see .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 22, 2020, 03:14:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Tyke.

Of course economies slump at times.

But it is unprecedented for a country to wilfully CHOOSE to cut 5-10% off its GDP as a matter of freely chosen policy.

It's bordering on the insane.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 22, 2020, 04:23:54 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

So why do the French believe they have the same access to our waters as they did whilst we were members of the EU ? .

The economy going tits up is another interesting one , the economy goes tits up at regular intervals , did in the 80's , the 90's , 2008 and will do multiple times again .

What the French believe is irrelevant, so I don't care why they think it. It's nothing to do with a trade deal whatsoever, so how about sticking to the subject?

As for economic slumps, yes, economies go in cycles. Up and down. Damaging your own economy on a permanent basis isn't part of an economic cycle.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 22, 2020, 04:32:49 pm by wilts rover »

Presumably for the same reason we believe we can 'have our cake and eat it' and thus have the same access rights to the EU SM as a non-member that we did as a member.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 22, 2020, 05:01:12 pm by BigH »
What an empty vessel Brexit has become. A sort of ghost ship bobbing along on the sea.

No one seems to give a stuff anymore, certainly not in Government. It's become a bit of a millstone hasn't it, like sh*t that they can't get off their shoe.

My take is that it could go either way; no deal or a sh*ite deal. Irrespective, after 1 Jan we'll have to start kissing ass with the EU again to try and tap into its markets. It'll take ten years to get back to where we are now. If we're lucky.

Of course, there are those who seem to believe that we have a team of government negotiators just chomping at the bit to go out and land some incredible deals with a whole raft of non-EU countries.

That'd be our 'worldbeating' team of government negotiators, many of whom have never had a proper job let alone negotiated anything.

It's a bit like the little, fat, balding bloke who leaves his wife after 30 years in the belief that he'll now be free to go after some supermodel half his age.

Sad. Deluded.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 22, 2020, 05:40:10 pm by wilts rover »
Back onto the subject topic this is pretty much what I think, Cummings 'departure' and Biden's victory have made a deal more likely - but by no means certain because (from Peter Oborne):

Cummings’ Vote Leave group has long argued that Britain must threaten a ‘no deal’ Brexit – with all the risks that involves in terms of economic consequences. In contrast, most Cabinet ministers are now arguing with great force that Johnson must strike a deal. It looks like Cummings has lost the argument.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/11/20/how-brexit-and-biden-fuelled-chaos-inside-downing-street/

I expect a deal to be struck very soon. When this happens, we can expect a major explosion inside the Conservative Party – above all from Cummings’ Vote Leave faction.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 22, 2020, 05:57:59 pm by tyke1962 »

What the French believe is irrelevant, so I don't care why they think it. It's nothing to do with a trade deal whatsoever, so how about sticking to the subject?

As for economic slumps, yes, economies go in cycles. Up and down. Damaging your own economy on a permanent basis isn't part of an economic cycle.

How on earth can what the french believe be irrelevant in trade negotiations when we will shortly have control over our waters as to who fishes here and more to the point where that fish is sold .

It's also relevant because the UK exports the fish it catches and imports the fish we eat .

That's called trade I believe .

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 22, 2020, 06:11:51 pm by tyke1962 »

Many people who voted leave aren't bothered about economics , it's the one thing remainers have never got .

They are more concerned about their culture and communities and democracy getting upheld .

In other words economics is a bystander by comparison to their culture and communities .

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 22, 2020, 06:17:13 pm by River Don »
That's a very pertinent observation Tyke. The remain side continually emphasised the economic impacts of Brexit but it never really gained any traction with Brexit supporters.

Michael Caine summed up the attitude with the "I'd rather be a poor master than a wealthy servant" quote.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 22, 2020, 06:33:06 pm by selby »
  The footsie is tipped to hit 9000

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 22, 2020, 06:40:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Easy for Michael Caine to say that, when he's never going to be a poor servant.

I humbly suggest that those who say this is about principle rather than wealth have not internalised what a 10% loss in GDP over an extended period will mean to their day to day lives.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 22, 2020, 07:05:35 pm by tyke1962 »
Easy for Michael Caine to say that, when he's never going to be a poor servant.

I humbly suggest that those who say this is about principle rather than wealth have not internalised what a 10% loss in GDP over an extended period will mean to their day to day lives.

Aye , that's what Thatcher always said when she was asking you to sell your soul for 20 BT shares .
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 07:08:30 pm by tyke1962 »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 22, 2020, 08:13:16 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

How on earth can what the french believe be irrelevant in trade negotiations when we will shortly have control over our waters as to who fishes here and more to the point where that fish is sold .

It's also relevant because the UK exports the fish it catches and imports the fish we eat .

We're talking about deals, not negotiations.

PS We've already sold control of our waters so, no, we won't get it back like you think we will. It certainly isn't up for any negotiations.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 22, 2020, 08:18:01 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Many people who voted leave aren't bothered about economics , it's the one thing remainers have never got .

They are more concerned about their culture and communities and democracy getting upheld .

In other words economics is a bystander by comparison to their culture and communities .

The Four Freedoms that YOU said were they reasons people voted they way they did are all economic freedoms...yet you now say economics wasn't why they voted at all! You can't even keep your own story straight.

If people are more concerned about their culture, they should take their televisions and their DVD and music collections and BURN them. British culture is most under attack from American culture than any other country's culture on Earth. And they aren't even living in this country.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 22, 2020, 08:38:18 pm by tyke1962 »

The Four Freedoms that YOU said were they reasons people voted they way they did are all economic freedoms...yet you now say economics wasn't why they voted at all! You can't even keep your own story straight.

If people are more concerned about their culture, they should take their televisions and their DVD and music collections and BURN them. British culture is most under attack from American culture than any other country's culture on Earth. And they aren't even living in this country.

So you are saying that the free movement of goods , capital , services and people across the EU zone has no affect on communities or culture and only brings economic prosperity ? .

If that's what you believe then no wonder you lost the referendum .

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 22, 2020, 08:40:22 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

So you are saying that the free movement of goods , capital , services and people across the EU zone has no affect on communities or culture and only brings economic prosperity ? .

If that's what you believe then no wonder you lost the referendum .

Goods - no.

Capital - no.

Services - no.

People - slightly.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on November 22, 2020, 08:43:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Tyke.

What don't you like about foreign workers coming to our communities?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 22, 2020, 08:44:24 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Perhaps we should permanently shut down Indian, Chinese and Italian restaurants and protect our culture!

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 22, 2020, 08:46:48 pm by tyke1962 »

We're talking about deals, not negotiations.

PS We've already sold control of our waters so, no, we won't get it back like you think we will. It certainly isn't up for any negotiations.

The argument is about where foreign boats land their catch .

Clearly if they are forced by UK regulation to land their catch in the UK then clearly we gain the economic benefit .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012