Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:13:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Blackpool game  (Read 8029 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Blackpool game
« on November 22, 2020, 10:52:13 am by selby »
  After what I think everyone can agree was  a surprisingly poor showing for TV supporters yesterday we have a chance to put on a better display on Tuesday, but against a team that in the past have regularly come to the Keepmoat and have extracted similar turgid displays out of us and cashed in by getting a good result here.
 Obviously the positive was to get a point we hardly deserved v Sunderland on our attacking display, but in our own half some could argue we played very well defensively restricting Sunderland to only a few real chances and the back four and keeper having very good games.
  So it is start again tomorrow night take the positives and try and put right the negatives, and realise we are not great all the time and have highs and lows in a season, and turning the tables on Sunderland who did the same to us a couple of seasons ago with a Gooch goal against the run of play sits nice with me.
 Blackpool after a much needed take over by new owners looked to have recruited very well in preseason and were many peoples fancy to be a team to be reckoned with this season.
  Early on the much changed side had a Topsy turvy start, winning a couple and then some poor results, but lately have dropped into a more consistent form and the win yesterday shows they are now looking like a team in good form and have got it together Gary Madine a formidable striker at this level.
  What team we play is any ones guess, personally if Taylor is not fit I would probably edge towards starting with the same team as we know  they are better than what they showed yesterday.
  Getting players up and around our striker seems to be our biggest problem, exposing him to some rough treatment in every game, lots that has been ignored by match officials, and causing our forward play to break down. Watching Kane for Spurs last night drop deep and leave the central defenders with nobody to mark and other players run into the space if they followed him  could be a solution but needs players of exceptional ability and awareness to pull off, but is it worth trying? we should be at least looking to learn from the best.
  So, What would you do?
  With our injuries is there a lot we can do?
  Are we capable of turning individuel form around for the better in such a short time?
  Would you go with the same side?
  Blackpool like Sunderland have been a thorn in our sides in the past at the Keepmoat, can we stop their little run of better results?
  After yesterday who would you bring into the team if anyone?
  Lots to Discuss about this game, please have your say, any Blackpool supporters reading this you are most welcome to contribute.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Blackpool game
« Reply #1 on November 22, 2020, 11:07:36 am by tyke1962 »
The lad CJ Hamilton is a class act in my opinion and I'm surprised he wasn't picked up by a championship side when he was at Mansfield .

Not entirely certain why he wasn't because I've always been impressed with him whenever I've seen him play .

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 22, 2020, 01:31:16 pm by Alan Southstand »
Certainly, they are the form team at the moment and we’re going to have to be much more ‘at it’ on Tuesday night.

I would make one or two changes, going back to our usual back four and drop Smith back alongside Ben. The front 4 definitely needs a bit of tweaking and both Fej and Lokilo would be benched for me.

JJ back up top and the 3 behind would be Sims, Richards and Gomes (if fit). That gives us the possibility of much more fluidity in the attacking third, the stability in defensive midfield and our usual rocks at the back.

What’s a squad for, if you don’t use them.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 22, 2020, 01:40:22 pm by EasyforDennis »
I think Tuesdays team will very much depend on who is fit.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 22, 2020, 01:48:55 pm by selby »
  Our old friend Husband one of our own products and favourite, Grant Ward, and Yates another one we let slip through local football, are all well known to us as good players, and with five victories on the bounce in all competitions they will be full of confidence and after beating Peterborough will definitely fancy their chances.
  To me fej has done a job Alan being up front as a lone attacker he has done well scored goals and battled. I am not saying I wouldn't like JJ on to share the load Fej playing with another striker took us to pieces at Shrewsbury a couple of seasons ago, but JJ would have struggled to be better in the last six or seven games Fej has played up front by himself.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 22, 2020, 02:17:40 pm by Retdon1 »
I think John Jules and Gomez will both be back on the bench

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 22, 2020, 03:19:16 pm by Chris Black come back »
They have certainly come into form recently. Their away form in the league had otherwise been poor. Their first four away games in the league yielded three defeats and one draw, scoring only a single goal in those four games. Their last two away games have been wins, but both were by only a single goal - in one game the winning goal was a penalty and in the other, a 90+1 min goal. They are definitely beatable.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 22, 2020, 03:43:31 pm by bedale rover »
Same back 4
Whiteman and Smith sitting
Sims Copps and Richards
Fej
Need more going forward and more control and play quicker

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 22, 2020, 06:41:51 pm by tyke1962 »
Could be an interesting battle in midfield between Whiteman and our former player Kenny Dougall who is now at Blackpool , you may remember Dougall broke his leg after a challenge from Whiteman in the Rovers v Barnsley Sky game although there was no intended malice from Whiteman and it was just one of those .

Good league one player is Kenny , a class act at that level but falls just short in the championship .

Could be an interesting battle between those two .

If it wasn't for the fact we play Brentford on the same evening I'd have been tempted to pay a tenner and watch your game on Tuesday night .

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 22, 2020, 08:06:18 pm by steve@dcfd »
Unless things have changed it will to early for Taylor from reports before Saturday.
                    Lumley
Halliday.    Wright.      Anderson.    James

Whiteman
            Smith.             Richards

John-Jules.   Okenabirhie.     Sims

Subs Jones. Butler John. Gomes Williams Coppinger Lokilo

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 22, 2020, 08:13:39 pm by drfchound »
The lad CJ Hamilton is a class act in my opinion and I'm surprised he wasn't picked up by a championship side when he was at Mansfield .

Not entirely certain why he wasn't because I've always been impressed with him whenever I've seen him play .

Maybe Barnsley’s offer was about £10 too little tyke.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 22, 2020, 09:36:36 pm by tyke1962 »

Maybe Barnsley’s offer was about £10 too little tyke.

That's probably true but the two bob merchants over here seem to be doing alright at the moment with some big spending big clubs well below us in the league .

But let's stick to Rovers shall we as it's a Rovers forum after all .

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 22, 2020, 10:26:35 pm by scawsby steve »
  After what I think everyone can agree was  a surprisingly poor showing for TV supporters yesterday we have a chance to put on a better display on Tuesday, but against a team that in the past have regularly come to the Keepmoat and have extracted similar turgid displays out of us and cashed in by getting a good result here.
 Obviously the positive was to get a point we hardly deserved v Sunderland on our attacking display, but in our own half some could argue we played very well defensively restricting Sunderland to only a few real chances and the back four and keeper having very good games.
  So it is start again tomorrow night take the positives and try and put right the negatives, and realise we are not great all the time and have highs and lows in a season, and turning the tables on Sunderland who did the same to us a couple of seasons ago with a Gooch goal against the run of play sits nice with me.
 Blackpool after a much needed take over by new owners looked to have recruited very well in preseason and were many peoples fancy to be a team to be reckoned with this season.
  Early on the much changed side had a Topsy turvy start, winning a couple and then some poor results, but lately have dropped into a more consistent form and the win yesterday shows they are now looking like a team in good form and have got it together Gary Madine a formidable striker at this level.
  What team we play is any ones guess, personally if Taylor is not fit I would probably edge towards starting with the same team as we know  they are better than what they showed yesterday.
  Getting players up and around our striker seems to be our biggest problem, exposing him to some rough treatment in every game, lots that has been ignored by match officials, and causing our forward play to break down. Watching Kane for Spurs last night drop deep and leave the central defenders with nobody to mark and other players run into the space if they followed him  could be a solution but needs players of exceptional ability and awareness to pull off, but is it worth trying? we should be at least looking to learn from the best.
  So, What would you do?
  With our injuries is there a lot we can do?
  Are we capable of turning individuel form around for the better in such a short time?
  Would you go with the same side?
  Blackpool like Sunderland have been a thorn in our sides in the past at the Keepmoat, can we stop their little run of better results?
  After yesterday who would you bring into the team if anyone?
  Lots to Discuss about this game, please have your say, any Blackpool supporters reading this you are most welcome to contribute.

The forum's a bit boring just now Brian, so I thought I'd add a bit of pedantry. The Sunderland goal against the run of play that beat us 2 seasons ago was scored by Chris McGuire.

Gooch did score the 1st against us last season, but again it was McGuire who grabbed the winner.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 22, 2020, 11:28:27 pm by Chris Black come back »
Chris Maguire.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 23, 2020, 10:00:50 am by selby »
  I just remember an unfortunate slip and a favourable bounce that resulted in just as big a robbery of points as ours was on Saturday in that game, and the Sunderland fans quite happy to go away with the points.
  We have been an  unlucky side against Sunderland on more than one occasion, The Butler wrestling saga, the wiping out of Marquis and no free kicks or penalty along with other lets say strange things happening in games makes the late equaliser on Saturday sit easy with me.
  On to the game v Blackpool and I will take another scruffy winner even if we are not the best team, the reverse has happened to us enough over the last few seasons for me not to feel any embarrassment at all.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 23, 2020, 10:04:04 am by Donnywolf »
Chris Maguire.

Correct

Head to Head

Doncaster v Sunderland

HT 0 - 0 FT 0 - 1

Chris Maguire (47)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 23, 2020, 10:07:04 am by Donnywolf »
Just seen Armand Gnanduillet isnt playing for them any more lol - thats great news for me

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 23, 2020, 10:13:36 am by selby »
  Playing for Altay Izmir in Turkey Wolfie, so unlikely to bother us this season at least.
  I watched him in September while over there, the very noisy fans love him or at least did that day as he scored a typical scruffy scrambled goal.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 23, 2020, 12:45:59 pm by Alan Southstand »
To me fej has done a job Alan being up front as a lone attacker he has done well scored goals and battled. I am not saying I wouldn't like JJ on to share the load Fej playing with another striker took us to pieces at Shrewsbury a couple of seasons ago, but JJ would have struggled to be better in the last six or seven games Fej has played up front by himself.

He may have done a job, but he is nowhere near a ‘Marquis’. Many people slagged JM off whilst he was here (latterly) but I’ll bet most of those have now had a re-think on exactly what he did for us, whilst he was here. Yes, I know he’s gone and we’ve moved on, but Fej is just not in the same ball park. I also agree, in part, with your comments re JJ, but JJ offers us a bit more on the anticipation and ‘speed of thought and deed’ front. He’s a different animal to Fej, but I think he will give us more movement and guile, which, in turn, may well free up some space for (such as) Sims to exploit.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 23, 2020, 01:37:50 pm by Chris Black come back »
Not seeking to compare them, but Fej is not hugely behind Marquis in terms of goal return.

In his last League One season with us, Marquis scored 21 in 44 games, at 0.47 per game. This season Fej has 3 in 10 games, at 0.3 per game.

However, Marquis ALWAYS started, whereas most of Fejiri appearances in league this season he has not started.

21 in 44. 0.47 per game.

3 in 10. 0.3 per game. 

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 23, 2020, 01:57:08 pm by selby »
  JJ may be better when he can square up a defender in front of him Alan and go past him but the way we play that will not happen that many times in a season for a  striker, and he didn't  look as good as fej  with his back to goal to me.
  Both are on a hiding to nothing if others don't get around them and run off them, JJ will score the more spectacular goals probably but Fej gets in where the ball is going to go more often from what I have seen.
  As I say I would at some time like to see both as a pair in a team with JJ playing just behind and wider.  If you go back in time you will find I was one of JM's biggest fans  as I thought and still do he is one of the best we have ever had in my time watching and all the time without a partner of substance.
  These two I also rate from the little we have seen of them if they get the service I think they will both score goals, but would edge towards Fej if playing just one up front.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 02:02:51 pm by selby »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 23, 2020, 01:58:22 pm by RoversAlias »
That is fair CBCB, because Fejiri actually has 6 goals from 12 starts at a rate of 1 in 2 this season for us. He only played a combined 33 minutes off the bench in the first three league games so harsh to judge him on those.

He also got two goals in two starts encompassing 162 minutes for us last season, which comes out to less than two full matches worth. So his scoring rate is very good for us so far.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 23, 2020, 02:41:22 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Fejiri is 1st choice for me but we still really need JJ back to come on for the last 20 or start up with Feriji. I'd love to see us go with 2 up top occasionally i'm sure it'd help our goal scoring and free up space for Whiteman in midfield

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 23, 2020, 05:43:52 pm by scawsby steve »
Chris Maguire.

Wow. Caught me out with a rare spelling mistake there Chris. My reading of semantics has been slipping recently too.

Must be the lockdown.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 23, 2020, 06:26:30 pm by steve@dcfd »
According to Liam Hoden none of the players who were not available for Saturday will not be available tomorrow night. Richards is ready to Start though.

So let’s have Whiteman, Smith and Richards in midfield.
Sims and Okenabirhie plus one more from Coppinger or Lokilo

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 23, 2020, 06:38:42 pm by NickDRFC »
According to Liam Hoden none of the players who were not available for Saturday will not be available tomorrow night. Richards is ready to Start though.

Do you mean none of the players who weren’t available will be available? Ie the same players to choose from? If so that’s disappointing, but hopefully John-Jules & Gomes will come into the reckoning for the weekend.

I’d go with:

Lumley
Halliday Wright Anderson James
Smith Whiteman
Coppinger Richards Sims
Okenabirhie

I’d leave Lokilo out to try and fire him up a bit for a sub appearance, and put players in their natural positions.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 23, 2020, 06:41:20 pm by sha66y »
Let’s get that back four looking  solid again,
Halliday down the right and James down the left......anything else will be courting an unnecessary struggle and possible disaster....

I do like John as a CB so he will have to wait his turn until either Anderson or Wright are unavailable....

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 23, 2020, 07:36:26 pm by drfchound »

I totally forgot to mention that I thought Richards added a little something to our attack when he came on.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 23, 2020, 08:19:24 pm by Alan Southstand »
Why, suddenly, are these injuries taking an absolute age to sort? It seems to be taking forever to get players back in the squad!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 23, 2020, 10:38:54 pm by RoversAlias »
Why, suddenly, are these injuries taking an absolute age to sort? It seems to be taking forever to get players back in the squad!

What is sudden about it? Perhaps the fact we are playing every few days is altering the perception. They're missing more games than they usually would for the time they're out.

John-Jules just returned to Rovers at the end of last week so they're probably working him back to match fitness which will take a week or two. Richards is now back, Taylor and Gomes have had issues keeping them out a few weeks, and Tulloch remains at West Brom.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012