Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:11:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lincoln City Commentator  (Read 4268 times)

Donnybob

• Forum Member
Lincoln City Commentator
« on November 30, 2020, 05:24:35 pm by Donnybob »
Suspended till next year by the BBC for using the terms 'drama queen' and 'handbags during the commentary of their away win at Swindon. He is to undergo reprogramming into a woke bloke.

Micky had best resign now!

Am I a dinosaur or has the world gone completely mad?

Those terms gave been used in radio commentary for decades. With sound only and no pictures there's not a listener in the country who would not understand what the commentator was describing.

It does beg the question, who actually took offence and complained?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
Re: Lincoln City Commentator
« Reply #1 on November 30, 2020, 05:33:56 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
It's beyond a joke now, stuff like this.

It wouldn't surprise me if nobody had complained, it'll be the BBC trying to make amends for their support of Jimmy Saville.

I'm actually really surprised that Black Friday is still allowed to be called that!

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 30, 2020, 05:35:03 pm by jmt23 »
Its hard to be a relative oldie in todays world - I'm 45 and you have to be constantly mindful of what you say in front of people nowadays.
People seem instantly ready to be offended at the drop of a hat, for no good reason. The world has to get real at some point, it can't carry on like this.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 30, 2020, 05:44:37 pm by Campsall rover »

It wouldn't surprise me if nobody had complained, it'll be the BBC trying to make amends for their support of Jimmy Saville.

I'm actually really surprised that Black Friday is still allowed to be called that!
Black is ok. Apparently we can’t say coloured. How things change. No wonder people are confused.com !!!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 30, 2020, 05:56:44 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm not getting into it or adding anything other than that he actually said two other things than the OP has mentioned, one of which is absolutely grounds for not having him working for them again. He said "the referee's wife is in" and actually followed up the drama queen line by saying "he'd have been better off wearing a skirt".

It's that last one that is the problem to me, purely sexist and unnecessary. Handbags, drama queen are much more contestable I'd say.

He had also been given a written warning in 2018 for his language so it isn't like this is the first time.

The world has moved on from these sexist tropes. Time people came along with it.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 30, 2020, 06:06:04 pm by Donnywolf »
Its hard to be a relative oldie in todays world - I'm 45 and you have to be constantly mindful of what you say in front of people nowadays.
People seem instantly ready to be offended at the drop of a hat, for no good reason. The world has to get real at some point, it can't carry on like this.

Who you cant say "drop of a hat" for several reasons

a) it came about because it was used to start horse racing (so is exploitative of animals"

b) it also was used to start Boxing Matches - so we cant be condoning violence either

c) I think the hat might be a Beret so you could be throwing "Chuck Berry" so someone would take offence lol

I take your point though - it is a minefield and the older you are the more "offensive " ammunition you have stowed away in your language - and have to question whether you can or dare use them !

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 30, 2020, 06:08:25 pm by Branton Rover »
When when when is they’re going to be backlash against this stupidity? It’s total b*llocks nobody knows why’s they can and can’t say anymore - handbags is a well known dictionary phrase pertaining to the situation he was describing - Christ I’m glad I’m 48 and not 7 and being taught this nonsense in school

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 30, 2020, 06:19:40 pm by the vicar »

Black is ok. Apparently we can’t say coloured. How things change. No wonder people are confused.com !!!
do you remember campsall about stopping singing ba ba black sheep and we were going to have to sing ba ba rainbow

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 30, 2020, 06:26:08 pm by rich1471 »
Never forget the Bristol derby when the commentator got sacked , for saying on comes junior bent I wonder if he is

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 30, 2020, 06:28:14 pm by adamtherover »

do you remember campsall about stopping singing ba ba black sheep and we were going to have to sing ba ba rainbow
haven't they changed it to green sheep?  Wtf, we have a chalk board instead of a black board, But still Have a white board?.  Somebody somewhere has decided the word black in 99% of sentences is bizarelly offensive?  It's moronic... Or is that offensive to morons?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 30, 2020, 06:36:03 pm by Chris Black come back »
It doesn’t exist though, does it? There is no central edict to ban black sheep, black board or black pudding. It is a confection, a fantasy.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 30, 2020, 06:38:06 pm by Campsall rover »

Yes Vicar. Could not say the ba ba black sheep, but don’t remember the rainbow one replacing it.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 30, 2020, 06:44:45 pm by NickDRFC »
It doesn’t exist though, does it? There is no central edict to ban black sheep, black board or black pudding. It is a confection, a fantasy.

Pretty sure there was a thread about this recently. Baa baa rainbow sheep was used in a handful of nurseries in Oxford, but it’s used as a “political correctness gone mad” stick to beat the “PC brigade” with. It never gained any traction but still the myth is perpetuated as this thread perfectly illustrates.

I could be wrong but doubt the commentator would have been suspended for saying “handbags” or “drama queen”. It’s the extra comments mentioned by RoversAlias above, and the fact he’d been previously warned, that have led to the suspension.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 30, 2020, 06:46:12 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I work in an education environment and I can’t tell you how difficult it is especially as I’m in my 50’s so certain phrases which are ingrained and once we’re not offensive are now deemed to be.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 30, 2020, 06:46:56 pm by idler »
I know that you find his post hard to swallow but I think your predictive text changed concoction to confection.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 30, 2020, 06:50:39 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Careful Idler, using words like swallow, you could be put on the naughty step by the PC police for some imagined offence.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 30, 2020, 06:59:03 pm by idler »
A few months ago I made the mistake of deciding not to use the term black and used the word coloured so nobody would take offence at black.  I was soon corrected and asked if we had gone back to the 70s.
I never intended to cause offence and never used it in a derogatory way but now just keep quiet as at 72 years old the world is changing far too fast ever to be sure that you aren't offending someone.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 30, 2020, 07:00:43 pm by scawsby steve »
Suspended till next year by the BBC for using the terms 'drama queen' and 'handbags during the commentary of their away win at Swindon. He is to undergo reprogramming into a woke bloke.

Those terms gave been used in radio commentary for decades. With sound only and no pictures there's not a listener in the country who would not understand what the commentator was describing.

No Bob, you're not a dinosaur, and yes, the world has gone completely mad.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 30, 2020, 07:06:03 pm by adamtherover »
A few months ago I made the mistake of deciding not to use the term black and used the word coloured so nobody would take offence at black.  I was soon corrected and asked if we had gone back to the 70s.
I never intended to cause offence and never used it in a derogatory way but now just keep quiet as at 72 years old the world is changing far too fast ever to be sure that you aren't offending someone.
you can have a person of colour, but not coloured...   I know...   I know... Bottom line, if you go out looking to be offended, you will be..

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 30, 2020, 07:13:21 pm by Draytonian III »
The commentator is Steve Thompson, ex player who also managed them for a while, I played cricket against him a couple of times, he used to play for Collingham (Newark) along side David Coote Snr who’s son is the Premiership referee

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 30, 2020, 07:36:34 pm by drfchound »

Pretty sure there was a thread about this recently. Baa baa rainbow sheep was used in a handful of nurseries in Oxford, but it’s used as a “political correctness gone mad” stick to beat the “PC brigade” with. It never gained any traction but still the myth is perpetuated as this thread perfectly illustrates.

I could be wrong but doubt the commentator would have been suspended for saying “handbags” or “drama queen”. It’s the extra comments mentioned by RoversAlias above, and the fact he’d been previously warned, that have led to the suspension.

Surely ba ba sean the sheep would have been a good alternative.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 30, 2020, 08:19:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

It's pointless. It doesn't matter how often the facts are set out, there's a well if anger that explodes every time this issue is raised. I've no idea how we are ever going to deal with it. Because time after time, it turns out that the actual facts of the matter are nothing like the "PC gone mad" trope.

But people ignore those facts and the anger explodes again the next time.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 30, 2020, 08:21:33 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
you can have a person of colour, but not coloured...   I know...   I know... Bottom line, if you go out looking to be offended, you will be..

Equally, if you go out looking for "PC gone mad", you'll find it. Even where it frequently doesn't actually exist.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 30, 2020, 09:11:50 pm by PDX_Rover »
Frankly, I'm surprised the term PC doesn't offend Police Constables...

As an insomniac, I find woke particularly tasteless...

I joke. Nurse, more laudanum please...

Southboy

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 30, 2020, 10:14:16 pm by Southboy »
I remember that bah bah black sheep thing. The Mail ran a story on it that was completely made up. Nursery workers then stopped using the nursery rhyme as they had read it in the paper, so it became true so-to-speak. But it was never a policy of Islington Council.... just Daily Mail nonsense..... 

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 30, 2020, 11:02:37 pm by wilts rover »
Half a story again eh. According to this:

As a freelancer he cannot be suspended by the BBC.

He will be returning on the New Year.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bbc-football-pundit-steve-thompson-23082063

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 01, 2020, 10:55:51 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
I wonder what the average age of this thread is.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 01, 2020, 12:14:01 pm by Axholme Lion »

No Bob, you're not a dinosaur, and yes, the world has gone completely mad.

I just say it as I see it, If people don't like it, tough. One day we'll all be dead so why worry? It's only the left wing mafia on the off topic section of the forum who get the hump on. Most people have the common sense to see things how they are.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 01, 2020, 01:31:22 pm by jmt23 »
It would be very easy to blame this on the middle class tofu eating snowflakes, but I work for a huge global company and I see it every day, with people of all ages, you really have to think about the conversation you are having.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012