Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 01:25:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Shrewsbury Town game  (Read 10613 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Shrewsbury Town game
« Reply #90 on December 23, 2020, 01:18:17 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I don't think we were out thought at all really. We created enough good positions but didn't capitalise. I can't recall Lumley having to do that much in the game either.

They defended well, we defended well. The difference in the end was the execution of the free kick. They delivered a meaningful ball with pace right into the danger zone. We had a free kick in the first half from an identical position and floated a ball in giving the keeper ample time to catch the ball.

We do seem to miss someone who can whip a dead ball in with pace and accuracy, although I think James can do it. Whiteman can do it but he takes up a central position normally for second balls coming out. Then again he scored one earlier v Ipswich from a wider area. Amos can do it but is rarely on the pitch.

It's something we need to improve on, particularly for games like tonight when scoring from open play is proving difficult.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on December 23, 2020, 03:50:50 am by Janso »
Part of me wonders if it's part of the instructions to "fanny about" with the ball rather than cross it. I know we like to play in a way that forces the opposition to come onto you, maybe that's part of it and then the ball gets moved elsewhere where there's now space.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on December 23, 2020, 06:29:15 am by Donnywolf »
Did Lumley have the most completed passes as it seemed last night everything went through him ?

Free kick or in some cases Corner. Ball knock short player closed down - knocks it back - and back again to Brad H who has no option than to go back to Lumley

I'll stop there as we all know what happens next - and a promising position 15 seconds ago is reduced to "building from the back" again

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on December 23, 2020, 06:32:33 am by Donnywolf »
Just had a lok at the L1 table.
The only team in the top eleven not to have lost in their last five matches is Crewe.
We were always going to lose a game sooner or later and it probably hurts more as we would have gone top with a win.
Someone aked the other day when we were last on top of our division at Christmas but i dont recall seeing a reply anywhere.
Does anyone know?

Yes there was a reply - top 4 times at Christmas and I am sure it ended Promoted Champions Champions Champions

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on December 23, 2020, 07:45:56 am by The Beast »
I thought first half we played some really good stuff, without really having the quality or the rub of the green in the final third. I thought Fej was really trying but John-Jules and Taylor weren’t really at it. We missed Sims and in my opinion we missed John’s physicality in defence and going forward.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on December 23, 2020, 08:11:57 am by Filo »
good luck picking a motm out of that performance

Whiteman.

You are joking, lost the ball numerous times and put us on the back foot, his passing was off as well

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on December 23, 2020, 08:15:17 am by Donnywolf »
I thought first half we played some really good stuff, without really having the quality or the rub of the green in the final third. I thought Fej was really trying but John-Jules and Taylor weren’t really at it. We missed Sims and in my opinion we missed John’s physicality in defence and going forward.

Agree with all that - pity VAR not in use as I would like to have seen the "Goal" that was chalked off. If that counted we may have been looking at the rest of the Division being below us

We deffo DID miss Sims - and seemed to want to play 6 passes where 3 would have done

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on December 23, 2020, 08:21:26 am by EasyforDennis »

Whiteman.

You are joking, lost the ball numerous times and put us on the back foot, his passing was off as well

When we are facing teams like Shrewsbury who want to pack their defence Ben has to not think every pass has to be a "Hollywood" pass.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on December 23, 2020, 08:28:15 am by SydneyRover »
One of the post-goal highlights was Lokilo, I thought played well for the 15 minutes that he was on and should give Moore confidence to give him another run.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on December 23, 2020, 08:40:34 am by DonnyOsmond »
Did Lumley have the most completed passes as it seemed last night everything went through him ?

Free kick or in some cases Corner. Ball knock short player closed down - knocks it back - and back again to Brad H who has no option than to go back to Lumley

I'll stop there as we all know what happens next - and a promising position 15 seconds ago is reduced to "building from the back" again

Halliday completed the most with 84. Whiteman next on 79.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on December 23, 2020, 08:44:50 am by drfchound »

After looking at some of those extensive passing moves from the SoD teams and the one at Leeds leading to the Sharp goal, the thing that was very different to today’s team was the movement by the players and speed of movement of the ball.
Too often our current side is laboured and slow in the build up.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on December 23, 2020, 08:46:10 am by drfchound »
Just had a lok at the L1 table.
The only team in the top eleven not to have lost in their last five matches is Crewe.
We were always going to lose a game sooner or later and it probably hurts more as we would have gone top with a win.
Someone aked the other day when we were last on top of our division at Christmas but i dont recall seeing a reply anywhere.
Does anyone know?

Yes there was a reply - top 4 times at Christmas and I am sure it ended Promoted Champions Champions Champions

Cheers for that Wolfie.
I don’t read all the stuff on here anymore so must have missed that post.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on December 23, 2020, 09:00:16 am by DonnyOsmond »
Is it just me that finds it odd. Fej out wide JJ central? I'd have them other way around.

The idea is they're interchangeable and flexible.

On the subject of crossing, an area that has been our weakness, had been showing signs of improvement recently.

As said, only really one cross from Faj and poss one from James that posed any threat. Oh and another from James when keeper made the save from JJ header in 2nd half.

Taylor took an age to get one in, in the first half and was a floaty one which was meat and drink for the keeper. There is absolutely no point in a floated cross to a crowded penalty area while the forwards are waiting with a cup of tea for the ball to come in!

You don't necessarily have to beat your man to get a cross in, as long as you put it in before the defender gets set to make a block and you have enough space. The forwards also have to anticipate that and make the runs. But when the likes of Taylor, and Copps, and Lokilo fanny about with it, then defenders and keeper can prepare.

But yes, there are times when players should get past their man, then we need better than an aimless cross to nobody. There's 3 choices for the ball carrier. Near post, far post or cut back. So ideally you need 3 players attacking those spaces. Just as Fej did wonderfully well for his goal v Burton.

Fun fact, we've attempted the lowest amount of crosses in League One.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on December 23, 2020, 09:06:11 am by Campsall rover »
For me we don’t need to be top to soon 4th is ok for now just before Easter make our move

Tell that to the players.
they will be so dissappointed not to be top.
They will hound but sometimes a setback is no bad thing and may re focus the players into making another run of positive results.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on December 23, 2020, 09:12:20 am by SydneyRover »
some one posted how many games we had played compared to them, I think it showed in the second half.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on December 23, 2020, 09:31:17 am by Filo »
some one posted how many games we had played compared to them, I think it showed in the second half.

The subs came too late in my opinion, it was clear after we conceded we needed to change things, I think Richards is a great prospect, but he does blow hot and cold during games and give needless fouls away

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on December 23, 2020, 09:52:54 am by phil o sophical »

Agree with all that and personally I would have fetched John on instead of Copps. He's a direct player who's not frightened running at people and putting his foot thru the ball
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 09:58:55 am by phil o sophical »

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on December 23, 2020, 10:28:20 am by EasyforDennis »

Yes but 70 of Halliday's were to Lumley

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on December 23, 2020, 10:50:04 am by DonnyOsmond »

Yes but 70 of Halliday's were to Lumley

I was just answering the question.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on December 23, 2020, 12:31:24 pm by Donnywolf »
Yes thanks for that - and my question was a bit tongue in cheek - just trying to say do we really neeed to go back even from corners and free kicks in dangerous positions.

Is there a stat for Lumleys passes on that list btw as he was on my screen every few seconds lol ?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on December 23, 2020, 12:43:11 pm by selby »
  I find it inconceivable that some supporters thought that the game would pan out any differently, if I went away for twenty five years and came back to a game v Shrewsbury managed by Cotterill I think I could write the majority of a game report ten years previously.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on December 23, 2020, 01:03:32 pm by RoversAlias »

Whiteman.

When we are facing teams like Shrewsbury who want to pack their defence Ben has to not think every pass has to be a "Hollywood" pass.

The thing is though, it's those "Hollywood passes" that unlock teams who pack their defence like Shrewsbury did. So, Whiteman has the best capability in the team to create openings and to be fair, it nearly came off a couple of times. When it does, it can win you games like his through ball to James in the win over Swindon did.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on December 23, 2020, 01:18:56 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Whiteman.

The thing is though, it's those "Hollywood passes" that unlock teams who pack their defence like Shrewsbury did. So, Whiteman has the best capability in the team to create openings and to be fair, it nearly came off a couple of times. When it does, it can win you games like his through ball to James in the win over Swindon did.

Aye. If we just did short passes they'd love it as they'd be able to easily adjust their shape.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on December 23, 2020, 04:22:22 pm by RugbyRover »
I think we played ok last night but their defence was better than our attack.

Very disappointed in Jon Taylor. Started off ok then messed up a couple of crosses and all the confidence drained out of him. Not once did he try to beat his fullback. Does he not have a trick to get past people? Lokilo did more in 5 mins than Taylor did in 60.

Very disappointed in TJJ. He spent 89 minutes shackled by the two centrehalfs. He had virtually no impact on the game. I have zero confidence in either him or FO being consistently effective enough for us to get promoted.

With Sims and hopefully Tulloch freeing up wages I'd like us to go and get a seasoned, knarly old pro to play up top. Is Danny Hylton available?............

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on December 23, 2020, 04:36:20 pm by EasyforDennis »
We really missed Simms last night.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on December 23, 2020, 05:05:13 pm by Padge_DRFC »

After looking at some of those extensive passing moves from the SoD teams and the one at Leeds leading to the Sharp goal, the thing that was very different to today’s team was the movement by the players and speed of movement of the ball.

Those players in those teams were much better even the league 1 Odriscoll team. Probably James, Whiteman and Anderson get anywhere near that side.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on December 23, 2020, 10:44:20 pm by drfchound »

Those players in those teams were much better even the league 1 Odriscoll team. Probably James, Whiteman and Anderson get anywhere near that side.

Yeah, I would agree with that.
I was just making the point that we need to move the ball more quickly, especially when going from the back line into the midfield players.
To his credit, Butler plays more passes forwards into midfield than across to Anderson.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012