Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:35:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 2020 - the year Boris Johnson destroyed public trust  (Read 8813 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: 2020 - the year Boris Johnson destroyed public trust
« Reply #120 on January 11, 2021, 09:28:29 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Let's all drive to Barnard Castle! Last one there's a wet teabag!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on January 11, 2021, 09:55:02 pm by bpoolrover »
So now the police have clarified that there is no rules how far you can travel for exercise has anyone changed there mind?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on January 11, 2021, 10:11:07 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
So now the police have clarified that there is no rules how far you can travel for exercise has anyone changed there mind?

Well, have you changed your mind about those rules you told us all about in the first place?

PS I never mentioned any milage, you kept doing that.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on January 12, 2021, 06:38:10 am by Donnywolf »
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-derbyshire-55625062

Sensible (see my Post #66)

Without a definition of "local" being a fixed mileage then they should never have been done. Johnson also in the clear because it says I am sure you can go out once a day for excercise

I remember in previous Lockdown(s) you could drive (an unspecified distance) - to excercise as long as the exercise was at least as long as the drive itself. So drive to Cleethorpes under those rules. 70 mph = 40 minutes and then an hour or even 2 walking but way beyond the spirit they are trying to "invoke"

Im not saying the rules are right but while ever you have unspecified "guidelines" they will be ignored by some - whereas if you have clearly specified rules i.e do not park on Yellow Lines they are still ignored by some.

So we cant wn either way. Personally I try to think everyone else "has it" and look at ways that they could get me. Staying at home as much as possible - going to shops once. Sanitise the Trolley (but why do you have to touch the Trolley to wheel it to the sanitiser ?). Wear a Mask - I know I havnt got it so I see it as a layer of protection (literally) and a win win , if I have picked it up then I am protecting others. I avoid take aways now having an odd Coffee only because I dont know the status of those in (insert your fav takeaway here) & so I stay away from them

I am closing in on a big birthday and Mrs DW is disappointed we cant "do something" and I can see that but in truth I dont care. I am alive and my goal is to stay that way and how stupid would it be to go to (say) Fuerteventura to celebrate - catch "it" and then die as a result of going rather than not going not catching "it" BUT being able to go for many more times afterwards on any day of any month in any year

She is right about one thing though I DO go on too LONG

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on January 12, 2021, 09:24:26 am by River Don »
It was odd how you could fine a couple of ladies for drinking their own 'picnic' cofffee and yet they could perfectly legitimitly go and buy takeaway coffee.

Particularly since the homemade coffee from a flask is actually safer.

One thing they could do, if they want to clamp down harder is close takeaways. As Wolf says, you don't know the status of the people working in them. You could quite easily be handling infected packaging.

Then there is the staff themselves, who are open to infection from colleagues or even customers. My mate managed to inadvertently infect all the staff at a fish and chip shop takeaway. It must be easily done. God knows how many customers might then have been exposed, and then I imagine those staff all took it home with them. And on it goes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:33:50 am by River Don »

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on January 12, 2021, 10:05:30 am by i_ateallthepies »
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-derbyshire-55625062

Sensible (see my Post #66)

Without a definition of "local" being a fixed mileage then they should never have been done. Johnson also in the clear because it says I am sure you can go out once a day for excercise

I remember in previous Lockdown(s) you could drive (an unspecified distance) - to excercise as long as the exercise was at least as long as the drive itself. So drive to Cleethorpes under those rules. 70 mph = 40 minutes and then an hour or even 2 walking but way beyond the spirit they are trying to "invoke"

Im not saying the rules are right but while ever you have unspecified "guidelines" they will be ignored by some - whereas if you have clearly specified rules i.e do not park on Yellow Lines they are still ignored by some.

So we cant wn either way. Personally I try to think everyone else "has it" and look at ways that they could get me. Staying at home as much as possible - going to shops once. Sanitise the Trolley (but why do you have to touch the Trolley to wheel it to the sanitiser ?). Wear a Mask - I know I havnt got it so I see it as a layer of protection (literally) and a win win , if I have picked it up then I am protecting others. I avoid take aways now having an odd Coffee only because I dont know the status of those in (insert your fav takeaway here) & so I stay away from them

I am closing in on a big birthday and Mrs DW is disappointed we cant "do something" and I can see that but in truth I dont care. I am alive and my goal is to stay that way and how stupid would it be to go to (say) Fuerteventura to celebrate - catch "it" and then die as a result of going rather than not going not catching "it" BUT being able to go for many more times afterwards on any day of any month in any year

She is right about one thing though I DO go on too LONG

Interesting isn't it that seemingly nobody in public life is willing to make a straight admission that they got it wrong.  Derbyshire police were quick to make a statement following the initial reporting of the case saying the officers were right and now "it is right that we have taken this action."  So, they were right to fine the women and they were right to rescind the fines.  Pathetic!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on January 12, 2021, 10:12:22 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
They should never have fined the women. 5 miles from home is nothing and it was just a stupid interpretation. Equally neither has the pm done anything wrong, he's not at all far from home and much safer in an open park space. Let's just use common sense.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on January 12, 2021, 10:16:24 am by Not Now Kato »
They should never have fined the women. 5 miles from home is nothing and it was just a stupid interpretation. Equally neither has the pm done anything wrong, he's not at all far from home and much safer in an open park space. Let's just use common sense.

So, how far would he have to go for it to be too far BFYP?  What is the boundary of 'Local'?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on January 12, 2021, 10:20:18 am by Filo »

I agree in principle with that, the issue though is what has been said and the timings of what was said and the actions. Hancock first said it was right to fine them, then he said the PM has done nothing wrong and thats why they deliberately didn’t put a limit on how far people could travel to exercise, then after the PM’s story broke all of a sudden the Derbyshire Police cancel the fines. The ducking and diving in these two incidents alone is breathtaking

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on January 12, 2021, 12:08:56 pm by ravenrover »
Much as I despise the man and what he stands for,  for me he's done nothing wrong. Nothing to say you can't drive anywhere for exercise and 7 miles on a bike is nothing compared to the distances many cyclists ride for exercise. We are surrounded by farmland so drive 2 miles to our "local" woods for our and our pups execise otherwise we would be walking around the streets of our village we have no parks other than childrens play parks and they are all locked.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on January 12, 2021, 12:29:09 pm by bpoolrover »
Unfortunately Raven some people think that’s just tough, it was clear that he had done nothing wrong people have seen the 2 ladies get fined and then on here they have jumped on the bandwagon rather than take it on face value that he has gone on a bike ride, but saying that I posted what you and another poster did and got abused for doing it, seems strange how there not doing that to everyone who disagrees, but each to there own

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on January 12, 2021, 02:05:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Much as I despise the man and what he stands for,  for me he's done nothing wrong. Nothing to say you can't drive anywhere for exercise and 7 miles on a bike is nothing compared to the distances many cyclists ride for exercise. We are surrounded by farmland so drive 2 miles to our "local" woods for our and our pups execise otherwise we would be walking around the streets of our village we have no parks other than childrens play parks and they are all locked.

There is according to what bpoolrover told us.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on January 12, 2021, 02:14:24 pm by bpoolrover »
Lol you just can’t accept your wrong you sad little man, I said he had done nothing wrong 2
Other posters have said the same thing but you won’t say anything to them, yes they write it better than I do but what they have said amounts to he same thing, I can’t understand what your issue is glyn and the fact that you won’t give in had now cost me a pint to so thanks for nothing!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on January 12, 2021, 03:53:34 pm by wilts rover »
Matt Hancock was on two major tv shows on Sunday morning asking people not to 'bend the rules' and stay at home as much as possible.

Johnson took that advice to mean he could go cycling around the Olympic Park, 7 miles from home, when it was busy, mostly likely being driven there and back, with at least 5 other people he doesn't live with.

He has done nothing legally wrong - but as the leader of our country, what sort of moral and practical leadership was his action on Sunday setting?

PS - can't help but be fascinated by how Glyn cost you a pint bpool - did you throw it over in disgust or something!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on January 12, 2021, 04:31:06 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Lol you just can’t accept your wrong you sad little man, I said he had done nothing wrong 2
Other posters have said the same thing but you won’t say anything to them, yes they write it better than I do but what they have said amounts to he same thing, I can’t understand what your issue is glyn and the fact that you won’t give in had now cost me a pint to so thanks for nothing!

Nobody else posted what the official definition of 'local' is - you did. And you then ignored it from the moment you posted it and continue to ignore it now. Nobody else did that so quit the whataboutery.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on January 12, 2021, 04:37:06 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Matt Hancock was on two major tv shows on Sunday morning asking people not to 'bend the rules' and stay at home as much as possible.

Johnson took that advice to mean he could go cycling around the Olympic Park, 7 miles from home, when it was busy, mostly likely being driven there and back, with at least 5 other people he doesn't live with.

He has done nothing legally wrong - but as the leader of our country, what sort of moral and practical leadership was his action on Sunday setting?

PS - can't help but be fascinated by how Glyn cost you a pint bpool - did you throw it over in disgust or something!

Bpoolrover posted the definition of 'local'. ie:

The guidance says this is 'your village, town or the part of a city where you live'.

And ever since he posted that he has maintained that Boris has stayed within the official rules of locality he posted despite Boris not only not staying within the part of the city in which he lives, but not even staying within the same city!

I get the distinct impression that bpoolrover doesn't bother reading the stuff that he quotes.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on January 12, 2021, 06:07:41 pm by Janso »

Nobody else posted what the official definition of 'local' is - you did. And you then ignored it from the moment you posted it and continue to ignore it now. Nobody else did that so quit the whataboutery.

Good luck, whataboutery is all he knows.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on January 12, 2021, 07:05:24 pm by bpoolrover »
 I said all along 7 miles was local and if you lived in certain villages you would only be able to walk about 400 yards and you said tough lol anyway I’ll leave you and red to it

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on January 12, 2021, 07:14:40 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I said all along 7 miles was local

The guidance says this is 'your village, town or the part of a city where you live'.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on January 12, 2021, 09:28:38 pm by SydneyRover »
I said all along 7 miles was local and if you lived in certain villages you would only be able to walk about 400 yards and you said tough lol anyway I’ll leave you and red to it

What would be the result if everyone within 7 miles of where johnson lives, within 7 miles of his destination or 7 miles at any point along the way went out with 5 other people bp? the 'lockdown' may as well be called off.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on January 12, 2021, 09:43:57 pm by bpoolrover »
Your not allowed out with 5 other people so that wouldn’t happen, if he had 5 and I don’t know I would think there security or someone, anyway I’m leaving this thread now, there are other people on this thread that think he has done nothing wrong so will leave it others

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #141 on January 12, 2021, 09:48:57 pm by SydneyRover »
and the other bit about everyone moving about? remember it doesn't have to be 7 miles it could be more.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on January 12, 2021, 09:58:41 pm by bpoolrover »
The police in Derbyshire rescinded the 2 ladies fines and said sorry because they had a right to travel there, that was 5 miles so please tell me the difference in 2 miles, where has it come from that 7 miles suddenly is not local? People are just making things up to suit

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on January 12, 2021, 10:07:33 pm by SydneyRover »
I'm just going on what has been reported and suggesting that if everyone chose to determine themselves where and how far they went for exercise the lockdown would be history is all bp, same as in your own home I would think, if you and your partner did as you pleased it would encourage your kids to do the same and so on.

There is also the covering up shit, johnson by refusing to answer a simple question surrounding how he arrived at his destination is encouraging others to do the same I would have thought, is  this your standard bp?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on January 12, 2021, 10:11:59 pm by bpoolrover »
The rules don’t state you can’t travel 7 miles by car, as I’ve said on a previous post the rules should possibly be changed to say how many miles you can or can’t travel but as the 2 ladies travelled 5 miles by car you would think it’s ok anyway do you not think?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #145 on January 12, 2021, 10:21:56 pm by SydneyRover »
you'd make a good understudy for the PMs job bp

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on January 12, 2021, 10:46:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bp
Do you not see the point about the Govt setting an example when they are blaming people (as Hancock did explicitly at the weekend) of not sticking to the SPIRIT of the guidance?

Given that you never criticised Cummings last year, I guess not?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on January 12, 2021, 11:48:06 pm by bpoolrover »
Bst he has travelled 7 miles to me that is local to most people I would think that is local, look on other social media sites where it’s not all labour voters and you will find most people agree he has done nothing wrong

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on January 13, 2021, 12:02:11 am by River Don »
The police in Derbyshire rescinded the 2 ladies fines and said sorry because they had a right to travel there, that was 5 miles so please tell me the difference in 2 miles, where has it come from that 7 miles suddenly is not local? People are just making things up to suit

The Derby Police rescinded that fine quite hastily, could it have been because the PMs jaunt had come to light?

It's still not clear if Boris cycled the 7 miles to East London or took the car. The chief of Police seems to think excercise should start and finish at your front door.

The government are asking us to abide by the spirit of the rules. Shouldn't they be leading by example?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 12:18:57 am by River Don »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on January 13, 2021, 12:18:00 am by BillyStubbsTears »
So in fewer words BP, you don't think he has a responsibility to set an example.

Can we move on now?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012