Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:29:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Great sporting scandals  (Read 1260 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Great sporting scandals
« on January 04, 2021, 11:59:04 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I still think that disgrace in the 1982 WC when Austria let West Germany win so they could both qualify at the expense of Algeria takes the biscuit.

But last night there was one that might have been worse.

At least in the Austria-WG case, both sides gained. Look at what happened last night in the NFL.

As of yesterday morning, Washington, Dallas and NY Giants could all win the NFC East division and qualify for the playoffs.

Dallas-NY was an early kick off. Whoever won would win the division if and only if Washington then lost later on Vs Philadelphia Eagles.

NY Giants won the early match.

But here's the thing. Philadelphia Eagles and NY Giants hate each other, like Man Utd and Liverpool.

So Philadelphia threw the match. They played at 80% and when they were still in the game late on, took off their star quarterback and replaced him with someone who had barely ever played and who proceeded to f**k up at every possibility.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anything quite like it. A professional team going out to lose just out of spite for another side.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Great sporting scandals
« Reply #1 on January 04, 2021, 04:45:14 pm by Donnywolf »
Shows a complete contempt for their fans

They should have listened to Brain Makepeace that time on Pitch at Keepmoat. Rovers had been panned in a previous game and during an interview he was asked about it and said "no Pofessional footballer goes on a field NOT to try - sometimes it just happens"

Tell that to Eagles fans

Usually teams try ANYTHING to win .... anyone remember John Smith the English kicker for NewEngland Patriots

Snow all over almost unplayable - and with 4 minutes left it was 0-0 when Patriots went for a Field Goal and they sent on a Snow Plough to make it easier for him to run and kick on the Astroturf

Hers the Youtube of the game (cheating g**s) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LqckfI8yg8

... and cant believe they have a Hall of Fame in the museum for the SNOW PLOUGH - check this out .... and they are PROUD of themselves

https://www.patriotshalloffame.com/exhibit-patriots-memories-weather-clear-a-path/

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 04, 2021, 05:01:33 pm by MachoMadness »
Mick Russell, Doncaster Rovers vs Portsmouth.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 04, 2021, 05:10:27 pm by wilts rover »
Sorry doesn't beat this

The first 4 finishers in the 1904 Tour de France were all disqualified after being found to have caught a lift either on a train or by car.

The race was also disrupted by supporters of some of the riders attempting to stop their rivals by throwing down tacks, throwing rocks or beating them up.

Now thats proper cheating

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1904_Tour_de_France

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 04, 2021, 05:43:12 pm by Bentley Bullet »
On a fishing trip in Bridlington many years ago one of the lads was caught cheating when he reeled in a fish he'd brought from home and put on the hook himself after hiding it in his bag. He'd have gotten away with it too if it wasn't suspiciously already battered when he landed it.

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 04, 2021, 06:55:34 pm by Highland Rover »

In the early 1970's there was a huge bribery scandal in the Bundesliga , Arminia Bielefeld needed to win their last match of the season in order to avoid relegation . They played Hertha Berlin who hadn't lost  a home game in any competition for a couple of seasons and won 1-0 . Subsequently  at least 10 Hertha players were banned for accepting bribes
I was at the game and thought that Hertha just had a bad day...what did I know !!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 04, 2021, 07:01:05 pm by drfchound »
There must be lots of cases from South American and Italian football.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 04, 2021, 07:46:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My point is, I've never seen a major club do this just out of pure spite for a rival.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 04, 2021, 09:50:16 pm by RobTheRover »
There must be lots of cases from South American and Italian football.

Oh there's tons from Italy. Remember Paolo Rossi (RIP) 2 years before he bacame the country's sweetheart? No, neither can I because he was banned for match fixing.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 04, 2021, 09:57:25 pm by SydneyRover »
There's a whole lot of cheating in online chess and gaming too

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 04, 2021, 10:37:06 pm by Draytonian III »
What about Coventry vs Sunderland late 70’s they both needed a point to be safe if Bristol City lost, and surprisingly their game had a delayed kick off. Bristol City lost and the other two played out 15 mins or so without trying. The Red Baron will have more details with him being a resident of Warwickshire

TinyPortal © 2005-2012