Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:25:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Whiteman to Preston ?  (Read 41604 times)

coventryrover

• Forum Member
Re: Whiteman to Preston ?
« Reply #330 on January 12, 2021, 07:03:52 pm by coventryrover »
This is football.   It is what it is.

I can't understand those who are having a  melt down.   He's done really well for us and deserves his chance.   Shame it not with us but goodook to the lad.

One door closes, another one opens.   This is life for a club like ours.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #331 on January 12, 2021, 07:07:59 pm by Metalmicky »
Mike McGrath - Football reporter at The Daily Telegraph

Ben Whiteman to have medical at #PNE Preston tomorrow ahead of move from Doncaster #DRFC. Will be one of the bigger moves in Championship this window ⚽️⚽️

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #332 on January 12, 2021, 07:08:49 pm by Padge_DRFC »
I think it's about right. Wellens Stock and Mills Sharp all proven at championship level. Went for similar ish

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #333 on January 12, 2021, 07:13:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
When you look at Lundstram for example who made it to the Prem, I think Ben also has the potential to make it to the Prem at some point if he continues to develop all round. I really think he will stand out at PNE and might get a move from there.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #334 on January 12, 2021, 07:18:45 pm by Retdon1 »
So we’re getting about £2 million... let’s hope we use half that to use on signing a couple of replacements. Fair enough if they use the other half to make up for what we’ve lost due to Covid

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #335 on January 12, 2021, 07:23:52 pm by Metalmicky »
So we’re getting about £2 million... let’s hope we use half that to use on signing a couple of replacements. Fair enough if they use the other half to make up for what we’ve lost due to Covid

Personally, I'd be happy if we brought in a youngster with potential and banked the rest of the money...

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #336 on January 12, 2021, 07:25:21 pm by bedale rover »

Matt Smith

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #337 on January 12, 2021, 07:25:37 pm by i_ateallthepies »

Personally, I'd be happy if we brought in a youngster with potential and banked the rest of the money...

I agree, and is pretty much what we did when we brought in Ben.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #338 on January 12, 2021, 07:26:37 pm by anton123 »
Brannigan from Oxford or has some1 already poached him

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #339 on January 12, 2021, 07:29:16 pm by anton123 »
Are people expecting a permanent signing to replace Ben or would you be happy with an ambitious loan ?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #340 on January 12, 2021, 07:33:43 pm by tyke1962 »
Well its a bugga is this , I know the lad wanted to play in the championship but for the sake of seeing this season out he may well have achieved that by remaining at Rovers .

I could have understood this a little more if he'd gone to one of the bigger championship clubs , Forest , Derby or Birmingham even .

Preston whilst established in the championship aren't a big club by any means , we averaged more than they did last season whilst they chased the play offs and we were bottom of the league .

I maybe wrong here but I don't entirely buy the nearer to his roots soundbite , as I say I could be wrong but personally I'm not convinced by that , Preston and Doncaster isn't the other side of the world from each other .

Personally I think and again in my opinion he'd have been better placed to wait until the season ended , see which league Rovers were in and also to see if a bigger club came in for him .

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #341 on January 12, 2021, 07:34:21 pm by bedale rover »
Are people expecting a permanent signing to replace Ben or would you be happy with an ambitious loan ?

If it gets us promotion....either

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #342 on January 12, 2021, 07:35:00 pm by Metalmicky »
Brannigan from Oxford or has some1 already poached him

Nope - in fact he is playing for Oxford right now...

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #343 on January 12, 2021, 07:36:20 pm by Alan Southstand »
One good performance v West Ham and his price could have doubled! Totally agree Tyke.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #344 on January 12, 2021, 07:37:13 pm by MachoMadness »
I'd be happy with a loan of the calibre of Smith or Sims, but I'd really like us to sign the next Ben Whiteman permanently (yes I know Ben started out on loan, you know what I mean). We do need to start building up our own, we haven't done that since DF was here really.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #345 on January 12, 2021, 07:37:59 pm by bedale rover »
I'd be happy with a loan of the calibre of Smith or Sims, but I'd really like us to sign the next Ben Whiteman permanently (yes I know Ben started out on loan, you know what I mean). We do need to start building up our own, we haven't done that since DF was here really.

Ravenhill?

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #346 on January 12, 2021, 07:38:43 pm by jamesrover17 »
Id quite happily take a loan to cover Whiteman and Simms on a permanent

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #347 on January 12, 2021, 07:39:15 pm by dickos1 »
Of course this is all speculation but as we've said previously, as disappointing as it is, we have to be prepared for it to happen sooner or later.

If a club matches the value that in his terms/agreement then you can't change the goalposts and breach that agreement. That is tantamount to standing in a players way. There won't be many League One players with  such a high a release clause I would guess

Some may debate the value that triggers his ability to talk to other clubs but you have to consider, he may not have signed his new contract in the first place and could be walking away for free and/or joining Barnsley for much less than his worth. Had he not signed a new contract, the same folk would be up in arms about that too.

We may have never got Ben, or Cameron John for example, without these sell on clauses in the first place. What min fee would you say would be right for Cameron John??

These matters are never as straightforward as we think.

We were getting offers around this figure before he signed his new contract so I’m pretty sure we didn’t put a release clause in his contract for a figure that we were currently rejecting.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #348 on January 12, 2021, 07:40:23 pm by drfchound »
Of course Ben might go to Preston and excel resulting in an even bigger move, possibly to the PL.
I hope we have a good sell on clause in the deal just in case that does happen.
I have to say by the way, I have had word from a friend who has good connections with the club and he says that our asking price was quite a bit more than £2m.
He did give me a figure.
I know, I know, a friend etc but I am not fibbing, he has given me info before which has been accurate.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #349 on January 12, 2021, 07:41:37 pm by MachoMadness »

Ravenhill?
He could well be in a few years. I don't know if a teenager with 1(?) sub appearance to his name should have that on his shoulders though.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #350 on January 12, 2021, 07:42:59 pm by dickos1 »
Hoden intimating we're getting more than £1.5m for him.

LH also says...

From what I've been told over the past week or so, there is a confidence Rovers will be able to act quickly in bringing at least one player in once the Whiteman deal is fully confirmed. A possibility - and I stress the word possibility - before the weekend

This paragraph could be taken from when we sold Marquis too,

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #351 on January 12, 2021, 07:45:15 pm by the vicar »
we aren’t going to get that as Sheffield United want 25% of it

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #352 on January 12, 2021, 07:50:43 pm by dickos1 »
It is a shame we’ve lost many of our best players now from 2/3 years ago
Marosi
Marquis
Rowe
Whiteman
Sadlier
To name a few
Our back 4 is quality all experienced players with many games at this level.
The rest of the side and we’re struggling to find experience

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #353 on January 12, 2021, 07:59:53 pm by pib »
I think it's about right. Wellens Stock and Mills Sharp all proven at championship level. Went for similar ish

All of those were at least 8 years ago. Wellens and Mills left in 2009! There’s a lot more money swimming around in the Championship these days, Covid aside.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #354 on January 12, 2021, 08:01:56 pm by Padge_DRFC »
We don't really have our own midfield now. Coops retiring. Gomes not gonna get your promoted. Really hope we can get a couple in permanent. Having said that this stinks of the Marquis crap we were fed. Kwame Thomas and Bingham were the answer. Expecting a 17 year old on loan or Herald Goulon to return

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #355 on January 12, 2021, 08:02:29 pm by PDX_Rover »
Say, for example, Whiteman’s agent engineered the move, and Rovers rejected the initial bids, perhaps said agent advised his client that withdrawing his services might force a move, and he did that last weekend... That casts Whiteman in a different light, and not a very good one. Bit of a tw@t really.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #356 on January 12, 2021, 08:02:57 pm by Padge_DRFC »

All of those were at least 8 years ago. Wellens and Mills left in 2009! There’s a lot more money swimming around in the Championship these days, Covid aside.

That's what I mean. So about right these days for a good league 1 player they were good championship players

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #357 on January 12, 2021, 08:03:46 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Say, for example, Whiteman’s agent engineered the move, and Rovers rejected the initial bids, perhaps said agent advised his client that withdrawing his services might force a move, and he did that last weekend... That casts Whiteman in a different light, and not a very good one. Bit of a tw@t really.

He has refused to play. Simple. Darren Moore picks him regardless of offers. You are right t**t

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #358 on January 12, 2021, 08:04:03 pm by PDX_Rover »
P.S. I don’t see Preston as a step up to be honest. Meh.

Juddy

• VSC Member
« Reply #359 on January 12, 2021, 08:04:47 pm by Juddy »
Preston ! Below Blackburn in the Championship table two pence halfpenny club. Good luck to Ben he will need it

TinyPortal © 2005-2012