Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:09:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Bid accepted (Ben Whiteman)  (Read 13437 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Bid accepted (Ben Whiteman)
« Reply #60 on January 13, 2021, 04:32:33 pm by selby »
 Charlie Brown Chelsea to MK Dons is the only EFL transfer completed up to press today according to the BBC.
  It's taking some sorting out.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on January 13, 2021, 04:33:39 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Should be a great opportunity for us to now pick from the carcasses of struggling clubs and get some real bargains.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on January 13, 2021, 04:37:10 pm by ravenrover »
I'm going to out my head up over the parapet, is Ben really that good? He has had some cracking games for us, more than less, but he is not Mr Consistent. Good passer of the ball but no pace and not the strongest tackler in the world. When he is off though he is very average and I think we have seen better opposing defensive midfielders in his time with us. I'm going to trust in AH to come up with the goods but I would really like a proper mester to replace him
It's only an opinion nothing more

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on January 13, 2021, 04:40:28 pm by since-1969 »
Has there been a statement from the club or CEO with regards to loosing another top goal score ( Again) and how this will be taken onboard or if further support will be offered to DM.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on January 13, 2021, 04:51:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
No.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on January 13, 2021, 04:51:43 pm by roversdude »
Do you ever give it a rest 1969

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on January 13, 2021, 04:52:45 pm by BradwellRover »
  BradwellRover, nobody has said he was useless at spotting a player, just the way he used them, as has been highlighted by the way the next two managers have used them in much more exciting teams to watch.
  His teams matched his personality boring with a nasty side.

Eh?  Did you actually read what I wrote and what I was responding to (provided again below)?

Lifelong supporter:
That 'useless' manager Fergie didn't do bad for the club financially did he signing Marquis and Whiteman?
Not to mention Anderson etc...

My response:
Could spot a player, but a terrible man manager with some. Dodgy tactician and a bottler as well.

I was saying the same thing as you.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on January 13, 2021, 04:56:24 pm by MachoMadness »
Has there been a statement from the club or CEO with regards to loosing another top goal score ( Again) and how this will be taken onboard or if further support will be offered to DM.
It's not confirmed yet, why would they make a statement until it's signed and sealed?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on January 13, 2021, 05:00:21 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Thursdays are generally press days and what with Ben having a medical etc, I would imagine they'll agree a rough time to make their respective announcements.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on January 13, 2021, 05:17:32 pm by silent majority »

I think you should wait for the medicals to be completed, the contracts to be signed and lodged with the EFL before expecting any official confirmation.

At the moment its only reported that he's been sold and those are the reasons why.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 05:28:25 pm by silent majority »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on January 13, 2021, 05:25:49 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I'm going to out my head up over the parapet, is Ben really that good? He has had some cracking games for us, more than less, but he is not Mr Consistent. Good passer of the ball but no pace and not the strongest tackler in the world. When he is off though he is very average and I think we have seen better opposing defensive midfielders in his time with us. I'm going to trust in AH to come up with the goods but I would really like a proper mester to replace him

One of the highest interception rates in the league and one of the best passers in the league. Football isn't all about pace and sliding tackles.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on January 13, 2021, 05:27:13 pm by Janso »

One of the highest interception rates in the league and one of the best passers in the league. Football isn't all about pace and sliding tackles.

If you can't megs six players then score from 40 yards you're not welcome here!

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on January 13, 2021, 05:28:26 pm by karldew »
Charlie Brown Chelsea to MK Dons is the only EFL transfer completed up to press today according to the BBC.

Bet they’re paying him peanuts!

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on January 13, 2021, 05:33:30 pm by roverstillidie91 »
For anyone who criticises our loan policy.

Sometime it does pay dividends.

If this transfer could strengthen our team by 2/3 or 4 players it could address any weaknesses we do have and progress stronger going forwards.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on January 13, 2021, 05:37:26 pm by ravenrover »

But pretty good tools for a defensive midfielder, just wonder if he might struggle a bit in Championship, hope not

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on January 13, 2021, 05:43:06 pm by roverstillidie91 »

But pretty good tools for a defensive midfielder, just wonder if he might struggle a bit in Championship, hope not

Is he even a guaranteed first choice starter? I would imagine there are players on part with his ability and strengths I don't know.

Inevitably he will play against better players and he won't be the main star player like he is for us.

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 13, 2021, 05:58:40 pm by BradwellRover »
I’d argue the opposite, that better players around you raise your game and your levels.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 06:58:29 pm by BradwellRover »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on January 13, 2021, 06:05:40 pm by DonnyOsmond »

I wouldn't call him a defensive midfielder. He's more a deep lying playmaker, similar to Jordan Henderson or Ruben Neves. In the right place to win a ball back, can tackle if need be, gets the team going forward through his passes and can easily unlock a defence with his ability to pick out the right pass.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on January 13, 2021, 06:15:00 pm by Spud »

Is he even a guaranteed first choice starter? I would imagine there are players on part with his ability and strengths I don't know.

Inevitably he will play against better players and he won't be the main star player like he is for us.

Another reason that the timing of this surprises me, I would have thought moving in the close season is much easier for a player transition than trying to hit the ground running in a new team in a higher league. I guess he just thinks the move is right for him & didn't want to pass the opportunity up.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on January 13, 2021, 06:24:15 pm by since-1969 »
Do you ever give it a rest 1969
. I asked a question as I’d not heard anything official or how this would effect the club and selections going forward . I pay my season ticket and watch every game on tv or iPad so I thought it should have been addressed sooner rather than the usual “ they can wait” in this not so normal times . So get off your little donkey .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on January 13, 2021, 06:31:42 pm by dickos1 »
For anyone who criticises our loan policy.

Sometime it does pay dividends.

If this transfer could strengthen our team by 2/3 or 4 players it could address any weaknesses we do have and progress stronger going forwards.

Our loan policy was very different when we signed whiteman than it is today

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on January 13, 2021, 06:38:19 pm by Chris Black come back »
We had also just been promoted from the bottom tier and finished 15 points off the play offs and 40 points off automatic promotion.

Today we are in a far better position altogether, whatever the loan policy.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on January 13, 2021, 06:39:41 pm by scawsby steve »
If this was just Ben leaving, I wouldn't be as pessimistic as I am about our promotion prospects today. It's the fact that we've probably lost Sims as well.

Those two have been our most productive and creative players this season by a country mile.

I've no doubt that DM and AH have targets in the pipeline, but to replace both Whiteman and Sims and still achieve promotion is a herculean task IMO.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on January 13, 2021, 06:41:46 pm by since-1969 »
We use the loans to benefit the club as never before and help it sustain by bolstering what would be small under strength squad . Well done to DM for his farsighted vision of how to get ours and his club further up the food chain .

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on January 13, 2021, 06:49:52 pm by the vicar »
Rovers are always the last to report these things on our website.  We always know days before it’s on there.  But there is nothing to report till it’s done and dusted
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 06:57:14 pm by the vicar »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on January 13, 2021, 06:54:27 pm by ravenrover »

I wouldn't call him a defensive midfielder. He's more a deep lying playmaker, similar to Jordan Henderson or Ruben Neves. In the right place to win a ball back, can tackle if need be, gets the team going forward through his passes and can easily unlock a defence with his ability to pick out the right pass.
Think that you are in the minority with that description of how Ben played for us

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on January 13, 2021, 07:38:00 pm by scawsby steve »

Think that you are in the minority with that description of how Ben played for us

I don't think he's in the minority Raven. Some of Ben's defence splitting passes this season have been out of this world.

I'd like to know where they're coming from now he's gone.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on January 13, 2021, 07:53:28 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I note that, presuming there is no last minute hitch, Ben will now become Preston’s record signing. Quiz question - which future Rovers player is their current record signing  for a fee of £1.5M?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on January 13, 2021, 08:03:54 pm by Metalmicky »
I note that, presuming there is no last minute hitch, Ben will now become Preston’s record signing. Quiz question - which future Rovers player is their current record signing  for a fee of £1.5M?

Future Rovers player referring to Doncaster?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on January 13, 2021, 08:08:51 pm by Donnywolf »

Bet they’re paying him peanuts!

I had a pec-an they are not paying him peanuts !
If its cash-ew are wanting you have come to the right place (Chelsea said)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012