Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:21:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Bid accepted (Ben Whiteman)  (Read 13441 times)

andyst79

• Forum Member
Re: Bid accepted (Ben Whiteman)
« Reply #90 on January 13, 2021, 08:13:18 pm by andyst79 »
I'm going to out my head up over the parapet, is Ben really that good? He has had some cracking games for us, more than less, but he is not Mr Consistent. Good passer of the ball but no pace and not the strongest tackler in the world. When he is off though he is very average and I think we have seen better opposing defensive midfielders in his time with us. I'm going to trust in AH to come up with the goods but I would really like a proper mester to replace him
It's only an opinion nothing more
There's times this season when we've played so called lesser opposition when I've really expected him to boss the midfield and dictate the game and it's not really happened and I've been disappointed. Having said that you can see the quality on show in the final 3rd and he's scoring goals so maybe a step up with better players will bring more consistent performances.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on January 13, 2021, 08:18:03 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm going to out my head up over the parapet, is Ben really that good? He has had some cracking games for us, more than less, but he is not Mr Consistent. Good passer of the ball but no pace and not the strongest tackler in the world. When he is off though he is very average and I think we have seen better opposing defensive midfielders in his time with us. I'm going to trust in AH to come up with the goods but I would really like a proper mester to replace him

One of the highest interception rates in the league and one of the best passers in the league. Football isn't all about pace and sliding tackles.
But pretty good tools for a defensive midfielder, just wonder if he might struggle a bit in Championship, hope not

I wouldn't call him a defensive midfielder. He's more a deep lying playmaker, similar to Jordan Henderson or Ruben Neves. In the right place to win a ball back, can tackle if need be, gets the team going forward through his passes and can easily unlock a defence with his ability to pick out the right pass.
Think that you are in the minority with that description of how Ben played for us

He's certainly not in the minority, Whiteman is not a "defensive" midfielder and we haven't really played with one since Ferguson left and we abandoned the Diamond. Whiteman is a fluid deep-lying playmaker who can move the ball around all areas of the pitch and go with it. Jordan Henderson is a good comparison.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on January 13, 2021, 08:21:29 pm by Chris Black come back »
I note that, presuming there is no last minute hitch, Ben will now become Preston’s record signing. Quiz question - which future Rovers player is their current record signing  for a fee of £1.5M?

Isn’t their record the Coventry lad at £2m? Not sure Ben is being sold at that level is he Dutch? Good if we have got that.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on January 13, 2021, 08:24:34 pm by Dutch Uncle »
According to this season’s sky annual it was David Healy at £1.5M in
2001. Maybe record beaten after publication?..

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on January 13, 2021, 08:25:57 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Was it David Healy for £1.5M in 2001?

Bugger, too late.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on January 13, 2021, 09:14:03 pm by ravenrover »

One of the highest interception rates in the league and one of the best passers in the league. Football isn't all about pace and sliding tackles.
But pretty good tools for a defensive midfielder, just wonder if he might struggle a bit in Championship, hope not

I wouldn't call him a defensive midfielder. He's more a deep lying playmaker, similar to Jordan Henderson or Ruben Neves. In the right place to win a ball back, can tackle if need be, gets the team going forward through his passes and can easily unlock a defence with his ability to pick out the right pass.
Think that you are in the minority with that description of how Ben played for us

I don't think he's in the minority Raven. Some of Ben's defence splitting passes this season have been out of this world.

I'd like to know where they're coming from now he's gone.
It's the description "deep lying playmaker" not his passing ability

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on January 13, 2021, 09:39:44 pm by Donnywolf »
According to this season’s sky annual it was David Healy at £1.5M in
2001. Maybe record beaten after publication?..

When I cheated and looked it up I found 4 Rovers bound players (I think)

David Healy 1.8 million
Richard Chaplow 1.08 million
Iain Hume  900 thou
Chris Brown 540 th

There may be others

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/preston-north-end/transferrekorde/verein/466

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on January 13, 2021, 09:56:09 pm by Chris Black come back »
Obviously undisclosed but the media coverage at Bayliss signing from Coventry was “believed to be £2m”. Plenty of sources attribute him as the record signing.

Hope this is not a foretaste for Ben. The lad signed in July 2019 and has only started a single game in the league for them since signing.

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on January 14, 2021, 08:38:47 am by Guernsey Exile »
Done Deal.

On DROS.  Undisclosed fee

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on January 14, 2021, 08:44:50 am by wing commander »
  Bens put out the standard statement on twitter thanking everyone at Rovers and he's buzzing to be at PNE

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on January 14, 2021, 09:07:52 am by SydneyRover »
I hope he is as good for them as he was for us.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on January 14, 2021, 09:10:34 am by Filo »
A pre 9am announcement is unusual, could we have a replacement lined up for today?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on January 14, 2021, 09:18:13 am by DonnyOsmond »
Cheers Ben! You've been brilliant for us!

He could have gone last season and we may not have got as much money as he's developed since then. He could have gone in the summer but no one was prepared to stump up. He's gone now and it's a good move for him being local and a step up in his career to challenge himself and it also gives us some funds during a tough time for the whole of football. Hopefully we've added a sell-on clause in there too just in case he does well.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on January 14, 2021, 09:20:25 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Leaves PNE plenty of time to release their announcement, interview and photo session etc.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on January 14, 2021, 09:23:13 am by Filo »
Leaves PNE plenty of time to release their announcement, interview and photo session etc.

Already done

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on January 14, 2021, 09:25:21 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Good. We can move on now.

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on January 14, 2021, 09:28:00 am by jm291 »
Fair play to Ben, has been a class act in the way he has gone about it all. Good luck to him at Preston, cant bemoan that move at all. Excited to see who we may bring in and fingers crossed some of that money is used to tie down some new contracts for the likes of Anderson, James etc too.

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on January 14, 2021, 09:34:06 am by ian1980 »
I think we all knew this day was coming at some point. Still bloody annoying though.

That said, I wish Ben the best of luck in the future and we now have to move on, bring in a replacement and hopefully carry on our push for promotion.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on January 14, 2021, 09:41:49 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Good to hear him being Frank about the move.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/exclusive-ben-whiteman-difficult-decision-leave-doncaster-rovers-3100038

Those who look to criticise the club need to understand why that is unfair and unnecessary!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on January 14, 2021, 09:47:35 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Quite happy with him being honest and he's right. It's a chance he wants to take, a fee that seems sensible and why should he wait around. At least he's honest I don't think that's something footballers are enough.

I liked it with wellens who was also honest when he moved to a bigger club for more money and I now agree with it for Ben. Good luck to him, I now hope we get someone who will grow to be better and grow the club out of it.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on January 14, 2021, 09:47:43 am by Filo »
We’ve made a handsome profit from him, in my opinion it should have been more, but it is what it is. The key thing now is how we replace him, how quickly and with who? The outcome of our season could well depend on what happens next

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on January 14, 2021, 09:55:09 am by roverstillidie91 »
We’ve made a handsome profit from him, in my opinion it should have been more, but it is what it is. The key thing now is how we replace him, how quickly and with who? The outcome of our season could well depend on what happens next
I would assume that we have prepared for this happening as the Club will have been anticipating this could happen especially as we have had bids in the previous transfer windows.

It just depends whether the right players come along and if we can get them over the line.

No point just signing players for the sake of it especially permanent.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on January 14, 2021, 09:57:30 am by Spud »
Class act, cheers Ben & good luck.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on January 14, 2021, 10:18:28 am by graingrover »
That is far  the standard goodbye .He displays genuine feelings about the club and particularly Gavin Baldwin who will have been the chief negotiator for the club in this deal .He has been sincere and clearly appreciates the way the club has dealt with all this .Well done Ben .You are professional and genuine on and off the pitch .

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on January 14, 2021, 10:41:44 am by mushRTID »
Confirmed then he signed his contract to help us get a fee.

We should be grateful for that.

All the best captain your on track for a great career.

I hope we’ve got our own sell on clause in there.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on January 14, 2021, 10:43:00 am by idler »
I agree Brian. This seems a well thought out statement and not the usual homage paying standard effort.
I'm sure that he will always remember his time here with happy memories and continue to always follow our club and it's progress.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on January 14, 2021, 10:50:48 am by redarmy82 »
Do we have two replacements lined up with records better than Ben's, which we won't be able to get over the line?

I wonder.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on January 14, 2021, 10:55:05 am by sha66y »
As I have no affinity with any single player I am actually excited about Ben’s departure...
We get to see what the manager will do ( exciting)
We get to see how the team shapes up ( exciting)
We get to occasionally check on Ben to see what Preston fans think ( exciting)

So all of n all we have some excitement heading our way !

I know some will dwell on the past and feel sad n deflated, some will even turn against the board and the manager ...... but not me, this is good business, very good business indeed...

Like I’ve said previously, I’ve seen quite a few strong physical talented midfielders in this league who just happen to be at the wrong club....

Good luck to Ben .... I feel he will need to add a fair bit to his game to receive the accolades he received here.....

DINGLE

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on January 14, 2021, 11:51:24 am by DINGLE »
No ambition, he should have stayed at Doncaster, they’ll be swapping places with Preston in the summer. Should’ve waited for a bigger club

TinyPortal © 2005-2012