Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:44:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Whiteman to Preston ?  (Read 41282 times)

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
Re: Whiteman to Preston ?
« Reply #390 on January 13, 2021, 10:37:23 am by EasyforDennis »
There's a couple of things to consider for those who think DM will feel let down by this.

Since DM arrived at the club I'm sure he's attended many regular meetings where recruitment has been on the agenda. Given Ben has been subject to transfer gossip for 18 months or more, it's inconceivable that DM wasn't fully prepared for this eventuality.
Indeed eversince it was perceived that McCann would poach Ben for Hull from day one. A number of bids have been received and rejected since then therefore DM will have been aware of his value.

It should not surprise us if DM has already put the back up plan into action after months of pre planning, keeping tabs on his targets.

Footnote. A year ago, some of the same naysayers were saying we'd let him go for a million being a soft touch, yet here we are possibly making double that and also pushing for promotion. How does that possibly happen if the board doesn't have a clue how to run a football club?

Spot on Baz.

As I've mentioned elsewhere this is the 3rd transfer window where Ben has been subject to bids, and there's only so much loyalty you can accept from a player who is clearly ambitious to play at the highest level he can.

AH has a good list of replacements, we should trust in the process, its worked exceptionally well for us in recent seasons and there's no reason to suggest it won't work now.

Not sure Williams could be classed as an exceptional signing though

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #391 on January 13, 2021, 10:54:38 am by Plumbster »
We also seem to have a propensity for skilful youngsters who are clearly struggling to make a consistent impact yet at this level- hopefully Ben’s replacement/s will be a bit more proven

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #392 on January 13, 2021, 11:42:40 am by silent majority »
There's a couple of things to consider for those who think DM will feel let down by this.

Since DM arrived at the club I'm sure he's attended many regular meetings where recruitment has been on the agenda. Given Ben has been subject to transfer gossip for 18 months or more, it's inconceivable that DM wasn't fully prepared for this eventuality.
Indeed eversince it was perceived that McCann would poach Ben for Hull from day one. A number of bids have been received and rejected since then therefore DM will have been aware of his value.

It should not surprise us if DM has already put the back up plan into action after months of pre planning, keeping tabs on his targets.

Footnote. A year ago, some of the same naysayers were saying we'd let him go for a million being a soft touch, yet here we are possibly making double that and also pushing for promotion. How does that possibly happen if the board doesn't have a clue how to run a football club?

Spot on Baz.

As I've mentioned elsewhere this is the 3rd transfer window where Ben has been subject to bids, and there's only so much loyalty you can accept from a player who is clearly ambitious to play at the highest level he can.

AH has a good list of replacements, we should trust in the process, its worked exceptionally well for us in recent seasons and there's no reason to suggest it won't work now.

Not sure Williams could be classed as an exceptional signing though

I wasn't referring to individuals, more that the process has been working well.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #393 on January 13, 2021, 01:17:56 pm by dickos1 »
I agree we have to trust that they will replace him adequately but the only worry is, what we’re hearing now is what we heard in the days before Marquis left.
We will have a replacement lined up
We’ve had a long time to prepare for his departure
They know what they’re doing etc etc

But when it happened we were drastically short in replacing him, and even now 18 months on we still haven’t replaced him with anyone of the calibre we thought we were going to.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #394 on January 13, 2021, 01:29:04 pm by silent majority »
I agree we have to trust that they will replace him adequately but the only worry is, what we’re hearing now is what we heard in the days before Marquis left.

But when it happened we were drastically short in replacing him, and even now 18 months on we still haven’t replaced him with anyone of the calibre we thought we were going to.

I'm not sure where you're drawing the comparison from. At no point, when discussing replacing BW, has anybody said that we will be replacing with the same calibre of player. On the contrary, I've suggested that AH has a list of players who he is currently looking at and talking to. There's every possibility that the money will be used to bring in more than one player.

Marquis was different, he decided to opt out right at the death of the transfer window and left us with little time to react. I do think that DM got it wrong by saying we would be replacing with somebody of equal or better calibre, but when you're a new manager you want to give out positive messages.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #395 on January 13, 2021, 02:47:39 pm by Campsall rover »
I agree we have to trust that they will replace him adequately but the only worry is, what we% hearing now is what we heard in the days before Marquis left.
We%u2019ve had a long time to prepare for his departure
They know what they%u2019re doing etc etc

But when it happened we were drastically short in replacing him, and even now 18 months on we still haven%u2019t replaced him with anyone of the calibre we thought we were going to.
And we are 4th in the league with games in hand which IF we won we would be top.  Problem, no i do not think so. We have scored 2nd most goals in the league without Marquis.
In fact with games played we have scored the most.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 02:52:29 pm by Campsall rover »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #396 on January 13, 2021, 06:37:32 pm by dickos1 »

I'm not sure where you're drawing the comparison from. At no point, when discussing replacing BW, has anybody said that we will be replacing with the same calibre of player. On the contrary, I've suggested that AH has a list of players who he is currently looking at and talking to. There's every possibility that the money will be used to bring in more than one player.

Marquis was different, he decided to opt out right at the death of the transfer window and left us with little time to react. I do think that DM got it wrong by saying we would be replacing with somebody of equal or better calibre, but when you're a new manager you want to give out positive messages.

Thanks martin,
I didn’t suggest we would be signing someone of the same calibre as whiteman.
I suggested we heard back then that we would have a replacement lined up and we wouldn’t sell without being prepared but we started the season with sadlier up front and he was our only option for a while.
I’m just worried getting a replacement is going to drag on and ruin our season

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #397 on January 13, 2021, 06:51:12 pm by ravenrover »
Sadlier up front? Not this season

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #398 on January 13, 2021, 06:58:06 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Thanks martin,
I didn’t suggest we would be signing someone of the same calibre as whiteman.
I suggested we heard back then that we would have a replacement lined up and we wouldn’t sell without being prepared but we started the season with sadlier up front and he was our only option for a while.
I’m just worried getting a replacement is going to drag on and ruin our season

That's everyone's concern.

Once again, I'm speculating here but the DFP inferred there was a possibility of someone coming in this week, possibly in time for the weekend.

I also note on the PNE site, one of their posters claiming to have some inside insight, says announcement will be held back to give Doncaster time to announce their replacement.

Could be something or nothing but if there's a possibity of this then I'm sure the club will do their level best to make it happen.

I also wonder whether Butlers announcement was brought forward a day to give us something positive and make room for something tomorrow.

All speculation on my part of course!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #399 on January 13, 2021, 07:02:42 pm by dickos1 »

When Marquis left

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #400 on January 13, 2021, 07:14:00 pm by auckleyflyer »
It's a quandary? As football always is! Never been more important at our level to be in the championship, and we've got the makings of achieving that.
However this and next season, (there will be knock on effects) it's absolutely necessary to stay afloat. Can't enact plan A,B or C if your dead.
I wouldn't bat an eyelid if we spent nowt and still think we're playoff bound.
Ideally we'd replace Ben even if it's a loan. Or squad numbers.(we have been effected by injuries) and you could argue its uneconomic or not available in this window. In that case address the depleted squad number that has effected us?
Not the immediate problem (no Ben) but nonetheless a problem removed?
If we spend the next 5months having daily budget threads im done!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #401 on January 13, 2021, 07:25:43 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Left outside more like! Until his injury of course.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #402 on January 13, 2021, 09:09:06 pm by ravenrover »

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #403 on January 14, 2021, 07:37:16 pm by Drover »
And his agent should be named and shamed.

For all we know,that could be the same agent who after an initial loan,advised him to sign for us?,the same agent who advised him to stay for the last three transfer windows?the agent who advised him to sign a 3 year contract with us?maybe he doesn't deserve to be shamed?

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #404 on January 14, 2021, 07:45:29 pm by turnbull for england »
Jesus , just had a look on twitter comments, most reactions to the news that a player that wanted to leave has left, and there's no plan to sign iniesta ant time soon make Donald Trump look considered

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #405 on January 14, 2021, 08:33:20 pm by Janso »
Jesus , just had a look on twitter comments, most reactions to the news that a player that wanted to leave has left, and there's no plan to sign iniesta ant time soon make Donald Trump look considered

Our fans on twitter honestly make me want to scrape my retinas out with a cocktail stick. Horrendously embarrassing, most of them.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #406 on January 14, 2021, 08:47:21 pm by dickos1 »
After listening to ben it’s obvious it was his decision not his agents

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #407 on January 14, 2021, 08:49:51 pm by Filo »

Our fans on twitter honestly make me want to scrape my retinas out with a cocktail stick. Horrendously embarrassing, most of them.

Twitter and facebook provide a platform for the idiots to showcase their lack of brain cells

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #408 on January 14, 2021, 09:33:38 pm by PDX_Rover »
And his agent should be named and shamed.

For all we know,that could be the same agent who after an initial loan,advised him to sign for us?,the same agent who advised him to stay for the last three transfer windows?the agent who advised him to sign a 3 year contract with us?maybe he doesn't deserve to be shamed?

Oh, ok.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #409 on January 14, 2021, 09:37:34 pm by Janso »

Twitter and facebook provide a platform for the idiots to showcase their lack of brain cells

I remember the Facebook group, one highlight was when a group of people were congratulating the then drummer on squaring up to what turned out to be an autistic 9 year old because he thought his singing voice was annoying.

Honestly, looking at our social media is enough to shove your IQ right into negative digits.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #410 on January 14, 2021, 09:42:08 pm by Filo »

I remember the Facebook group, one highlight was when a group of people were congratulating the then drummer on squaring up to what turned out to be an autistic 9 year old because he thought his singing voice was annoying.

Honestly, looking at our social media is enough to shove your IQ right into negative digits.

Is the FB group still around, I think I was blocked from accessing there along time ago, for what reason I don’t know because I never made a post on it

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #411 on January 14, 2021, 10:04:54 pm by Janso »

Is the FB group still around, I think I was blocked from accessing there along time ago, for what reason I don’t know because I never made a post on it

Not sure to be honest, not been on Facebook in years - I do remember hearing it got removed but just hearsay really.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #412 on January 14, 2021, 10:28:41 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Think it got banned as someone streamed a game but someone's created a new one since that.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #413 on January 14, 2021, 10:36:18 pm by drfchound »

People take far too much notice of stuff on both of those outlets.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #414 on January 14, 2021, 10:57:15 pm by Alan Southstand »
Lack of brain cells, or not, these alienated people have paid money to watch their Club. For how much longer?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #415 on January 14, 2021, 11:18:15 pm by sha66y »
Lack of brain cells, or not, these alienated people have paid money to watch their Club. For how much longer?

“ alienated” ......ya mean freakin aliens surely?
They should all bugger off and find something else to do !

TinyPortal © 2005-2012