Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:23:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Promotion Hopes.  (Read 5776 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Promotion Hopes.
« Reply #30 on January 14, 2021, 07:45:12 pm by selby »
  The teams we loaned players from at the beginning of the season would be disappointed with us and them if they were not showing improvement on what sort of players they were when they arrived in August with near twenty league games under their belt.
  One is that much better he is said to have championship sides chasing him.
  So yes with even more experience the side can get better if we avoid injuries and we Get Smith back in the side or another player who can play in Bens position, will he be as good as Ben? probably not, but does that mean that as a side we will be weaker? not if the players here to improve carry on doing so as quickly as they have up to this juncture in the season.
  And our own players Anderson, Wright, Halliday , James, Butler and John are playing as well if not better than at any time since signing for us, Feg and Lokilo are now looking settled and pushing on, Copps and Taylor are a known standard that on their day can take a game by the scruff of the neck.
  I don't think Ben leaving, although a very very good player above the standard of League 1 and better than the majority in the Championship is any reason for anyone to be suicidal.
   The financial cap in our division will stop most or all the so called big clubs in our division doing a lot in the transfer market, most of them could do with ditching a few players as they will be way over the cap.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:50:48 pm by selby »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 14, 2021, 07:51:41 pm by scawsby steve »
  The teams we loaned players from at the beginning of the season would be disappointed with us and them if they were not showing improvement on what sort of players they were when they arrived in August with near twenty league games under their belt.
  One is that much better he is said to have championship sides chasing him.
  So yes with even more experience the side can get better if we avoid injuries and we Get Smith back in the side or another player who can play in Bens position, will he be as good as Ben? probably not, but does that mean that as a side we will be weaker? not if the players here to improve carry on doing so as quickly as they have up to this juncture in the season.
  And our own players Anderson, Wright, Halliday , James, Butler and John are playing as well if not better than at any time since signing for us, Feg and Lokilo are now looking settled and pushing on, Copps and Taylor are a known standard that on their day can take a game by the scruff of the neck.
  I don't think Ben leaving, although a very very good player above the standard of League 1 and better than the majority in the Championship is any reason for anyone to be suicidal.

What about Sims Brian? Do you see us replacing him with someone as good?

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 14, 2021, 07:57:03 pm by redarmy82 »
I know loanees were mentioned in the article and we had six loanees before Christmas because of injuries it was never a problem. But DM said he’s looking at other avenues before loanees. I am disappointed that we are not going to pay a fee for a player. But DM has to work with the finances he has. What is a bit confusing we’ve lost Ben and Copps is injured yet we have two of our young players out on loan. Maybe they would not get in the first team but they would be part of the match day squad. Let’s see what type of magic DM can pull out of the hat to get players we need.

What is it with the obsession with paying a fee for a player???  Do you not see that all it does is strengthen the finances of an opposing club?

Why the obsession with loans, frees and short term contracts?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 14, 2021, 08:04:49 pm by scawsby steve »
I know loanees were mentioned in the article and we had six loanees before Christmas because of injuries it was never a problem. But DM said he’s looking at other avenues before loanees. I am disappointed that we are not going to pay a fee for a player. But DM has to work with the finances he has. What is a bit confusing we’ve lost Ben and Copps is injured yet we have two of our young players out on loan. Maybe they would not get in the first team but they would be part of the match day squad. Let’s see what type of magic DM can pull out of the hat to get players we need.

What is it with the obsession with paying a fee for a player???  Do you not see that all it does is strengthen the finances of an opposing club?

Because we're a third tier Covid affected club.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 14, 2021, 08:08:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Because its more financially prudent than paying a transfer fee when you don't have to.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 14, 2021, 08:26:47 pm by selby »
  Like most on here Steve I would like to see him back but I think it depends on two things, if Southampton increase the cost of a loan? whether a team were impressed with his form for us before injury and are willing to pay a transfer fee and match his wages at Southampton to take him off their hands?
  In our favour is wage cap introduction, a lot of Championship sides will struggle to meet it and don't have a lot of money to slosh around and are stuck with high wage players they don't really want.
  I think I would try to have patience if I was a manager in this window even with a little money, there will be bargains to be had near the end as teams will be more aware of having to pay supporters back season ticket payments and clubs become more aware of the cap coming in and possible fines for not adhering to it.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 14, 2021, 08:28:59 pm by Michael Shaw »
For the first time in several years we are within a hair's breath of promotion to the Championship and the financial bounty that comes from it. Many of must feel we have thrown away that chance by selling Whiteman. By the end of next month we will have a much better idea.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 14, 2021, 09:14:45 pm by Donnybax »
Of course we’re weaker without Whiteman. We’ve lost our captain and one of the best centre midfielders in the league

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 14, 2021, 09:18:04 pm by Spilsby Red »
Blah blah blah. Omg as usual. There are some idiots

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 14, 2021, 09:31:27 pm by ravenrover »
Oh so Donny Rovers are interested iin signing our midfielder, haven't they just sold someone for a million or two? Stick another 100k on his price

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 14, 2021, 11:24:11 pm by sha66y »
It's hard to see how the team can not be weaker if we have lost our 2 best players in Simms and BW.

Neither Sims or Ben are any good in goal, neither are very good centre backs or r/l backs..
Neither are good out n out strikers so not sure who you are comparing them to.......oh you mean we’ve lost 2 good midfield players, im sure Smith ,James,Copps, Gomez, Richards and the other couple or three can be coaxed to add something to the team .....it might be different, but it won’t be worse

Take away the goals and assists from Ben and Sims this season, and see how many goals we're left with.

Take away the other 9 players and see how many goals them 2 would’ve conceded.....very silly analogy...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 14, 2021, 11:25:33 pm by drfchound »
  Godlike 1, don't you realise that the reason the club are not going to splash out the transfer money is the fact as time moves on to the end of March the club are going to be hit by supporters wanting recompensing for unused season tickets.
  At least now we will have the majority of the money to do so, if it comes to it which is more likely than not, it will be interesting to see how many other clubs find the funds to refund money if it comes to that, some have already said they will be unwilling or unable to do so.
   As far as the team is  concerned, the young loan players who came to us as green as grass with no or very little league level experience  should be by now better for the experience of the first half of the season and we should be a better side for it.

Is it really likely that in March lots of fans will want refunds for unused Season Tickets?
I would have thought that the people who wanted a refund would have done it by now and those of us who haven’t had a refund will have been and will carry on watching on iFollow.
What might be affected though is the lack of early ST sales for next season.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 14, 2021, 11:29:01 pm by Chris Black come back »
At the risk of dragging the conversation back to football on the actual pitch, it is a difficult role to play but must say we need more from John-Jules or Fejiri when they play up front. Blackburn are a tough Championship club but I didn’t see John-Jules impose himself on them. Maybe still coming back from injury but we desperately need him to play to his full potential.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on January 14, 2021, 11:42:28 pm by BobG »
But how many would their replacements have contributed eh?

You can't scrub their contributions wthout adding in those of the people who would have played in their places...

BobG

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 15, 2021, 01:13:45 am by godlike1 »
  Godlike 1, don't you realise that the reason the club are not going to splash out the transfer money is the fact as time moves on to the end of March the club are going to be hit by supporters wanting recompensing for unused season tickets.
  At least now we will have the majority of the money to do so, if it comes to it which is more likely than not, it will be interesting to see how many other clubs find the funds to refund money if it comes to that, some have already said they will be unwilling or unable to do so.
   As far as the team is  concerned, the young loan players who came to us as green as grass with no or very little league level experience  should be by now better for the experience of the first half of the season and we should be a better side for it. 

Read the message and get out of the clubs backside.

They send out conflicting information constantly either through Gavin, the manager at the time or their actions.

They said we did not need to sell Ben and only for the right fee.

Yet they said the biggest to the club was supporters wanting money back at the end of the season. Sooooooo if we don't have money to cover that risk how come we don't need to sell Ben?

We are told that if we are in the play offs then the club by Christmas will back the manager with what he needs.  We do just that and its reported in the Free Press thats its a one in one out situation. This is exactly what's happened with the loans so no squad strengthening at all at a time when we will need it most.

Ben goes, fair play if the timing seems right. Yet we're now told the money is needed to cover losses at the end of the season and unlikely to be anyone coming in.

Its all cloak and dagger bullsh*t

I will back the club and manager to the hilt over just about everything but not the inconsistencies and crap PR they do over players. Its simply not good enough.

All the amazing work and effort done through the irwt etc is being quickly lost.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on January 15, 2021, 05:51:45 am by roverstillidie91 »

Because that is all we can afford?

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 15, 2021, 06:54:07 am by andyst79 »
Why don't we wait while the end of the transfer Window before we start arguing? We've been blessed with the Loans brought in this season,  Smith a Welsh international, Richards looks the business at times and as for Sims he's absolutely devastating when he's on it and how Moore's managed to pull that Loan off for 6months is beyond me, it's no wonder other teams a higher up are looking at him so we should just be thankful he's helped us out for half a season, if we get him any longer that would be a real blessing.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 15, 2021, 07:38:40 am by dickos1 »
I think part of the problem is Moore puts a negative spin on everything. You can be excited about how we’re playing and where we are in the table and then u listen to one of his interviews and just feel deflated.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 15, 2021, 07:41:20 am by vaya »
I think part of the problem is Moore puts a negative spin on everything. You can be excited about how we’re playing and where we are in the table and then u listen to one of his interviews and just feel deflated.

Then don't listen?

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 15, 2021, 02:14:44 pm by godlike1 »
Why don't we wait while the end of the transfer Window before we start arguing? We've been blessed with the Loans brought in this season,  Smith a Welsh international, Richards looks the business at times and as for Sims he's absolutely devastating when he's on it and how Moore's managed to pull that Loan off for 6months is beyond me, it's no wonder other teams a higher up are looking at him so we should just be thankful he's helped us out for half a season, if we get him any longer that would be a real blessing.

I agree that it is only at the end a full judgement can be made but I'm sure they said somewhere, no more business unless Ben does go.

Yesterday it seemed to be no more business anyway.

I've seen tweets to suggest we are talking to a couple of players. Fingers crossed my frustrations will be damped down by that point.

I can't deny that I struggle to see a long term plan or future with those in charge of the club atm. I really do worry

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 15, 2021, 02:51:15 pm by steve@dcfd »
I don’t believe DM is be negative he’s being realistic. At the moment discounting our young players who have not played regularly in the first team we have 
Seventeen players for squad who are fit with Copps and Gomes. So DM is after numbers to bolster the squad with 28 league still to play plus FaCup. Supporters will want us to continue to be competitive but with a small squad I believe he is worried we will not continue to compete. We need bodies to help out so let’s hope after the recruitment meeting next week we can get some players.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 15, 2021, 02:54:30 pm by Alan Southstand »
Next week?

I thought we were trying to get someone in for Saturday?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on January 15, 2021, 03:10:02 pm by EasyforDennis »
Blah blah blah. Omg as usual. There are some idiots

If you think everyone should be 100% in agreement all the time and nobody should have opposing views on what happens with our club, maybe the forum isn't for you?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on January 15, 2021, 03:49:31 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I remember after we sold Mills and Wellens in the same close season after our first season in the championship. We were all thinking how can we replace them, and have any chance of staying in the Championship.

We replaced them with a loanee (Shackell) and a free transfer (Oster), the latter most definitely not a like for like. The next season we did even better, with another loan signing helping significantly (Sharp)

I personally think DM is as good as SOD in adapting to personnel changes and formations.

Let’s be patient, supportive, and not too pessimistic

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on January 15, 2021, 03:53:29 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

I understand where you're coming from. I think it's hard for any manager to be put on the spot, particularly when asked questions about transfers and finances particularly when you're aware that any false word or phrase could be misinterpreted and put into print.

As we know most managers will try to lkay things with a straight bat and hold cards close to the chest.

Let's be fair, it has been known for former managers to get feisty when asked certain 'silly' questions. I think any of us would find it difficult.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 15, 2021, 04:06:16 pm by Alan Southstand »
Every faith in DM. Unfortunately, that’s where my faith ends.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on January 15, 2021, 04:09:18 pm by Dutch Uncle »

I understand where you're coming from. I think it's hard for any manager to be put on the spot, particularly when asked questions about transfers and finances particularly when you're aware that any false word or phrase could be misinterpreted and put into print.

As we know most managers will try to lkay things with a straight bat and hold cards close to the chest.

Let's be fair, it has been known for former managers to get feisty when asked certain 'silly' questions. I think any of us would find it difficult.

I get the feeling Darren, being admirably principled, is one of thsoe people who very much wants to keep all his promises, and this leads him to want to under-promise and over-deliver.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on January 15, 2021, 05:57:23 pm by scawsby steve »
It's hard to see how the team can not be weaker if we have lost our 2 best players in Simms and BW.

Neither Sims or Ben are any good in goal, neither are very good centre backs or r/l backs..
Neither are good out n out strikers so not sure who you are comparing them to.......oh you mean we’ve lost 2 good midfield players, im sure Smith ,James,Copps, Gomez, Richards and the other couple or three can be coaxed to add something to the team .....it might be different, but it won’t be worse

Take away the goals and assists from Ben and Sims this season, and see how many goals we're left with.

Take away the other 9 players and see how many goals them 2 would’ve conceded.....very silly analogy...

It's not a silly analogy, and I've been watching Rovers a lot longer than you, and so have seen all of this before.

In 1956, we were near the top of the second tier, and hammering the likes of Stoke, West Ham, and Fulham. Then, in the space of 2 seasons, we lost our 3 best players, Alick, Gregg, and Tindill.

The result was 2 successive relegations. The other 8 players did nothing wrong; it was just the impact of losing so much talent.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on January 15, 2021, 05:59:42 pm by dickos1 »

Then don't listen?

I could say the same about you and reading my posts.
If I said something was black you’d argue it was white

Boring

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on January 15, 2021, 06:09:02 pm by Spud »

It's not a silly analogy, and I've been watching Rovers a lot longer than you, and so have seen all of this before.

In 1956, we were near the top of the second tier, and hammering the likes of Stoke, West Ham, and Fulham. Then, in the space of 2 seasons, we lost our 3 best players, Alick, Gregg, and Tindill.

The result was 2 successive relegations. The other 8 players did nothing wrong; it was just the impact of losing so much talent.

Wasn't the same thing said when Marquis was sold? Have we not scored since then or are we fourth in the league?
We're Donny Rovers, we'll always have to sell players for financial reasons or due to them having ambitions to play at a higher level. You can't just deduct their goals & assists & decide we're doomed every time it happens !

TinyPortal © 2005-2012