Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:58:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Promotion Hopes.  (Read 5726 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: Promotion Hopes.
« Reply #60 on January 15, 2021, 07:10:04 pm by scawsby steve »
It's hard to see how the team can not be weaker if we have lost our 2 best players in Simms and BW.

Neither Sims or Ben are any good in goal, neither are very good centre backs or r/l backs..
Neither are good out n out strikers so not sure who you are comparing them to.......oh you mean we’ve lost 2 good midfield players, im sure Smith ,James,Copps, Gomez, Richards and the other couple or three can be coaxed to add something to the team .....it might be different, but it won’t be worse

Take away the goals and assists from Ben and Sims this season, and see how many goals we're left with.

Take away the other 9 players and see how many goals them 2 would’ve conceded.....very silly analogy...

It's not a silly analogy, and I've been watching Rovers a lot longer than you, and so have seen all of this before.

In 1956, we were near the top of the second tier, and hammering the likes of Stoke, West Ham, and Fulham. Then, in the space of 2 seasons, we lost our 3 best players, Alick, Gregg, and Tindill.

The result was 2 successive relegations. The other 8 players did nothing wrong; it was just the impact of losing so much talent.

Wasn't the same thing said when Marquis was sold? Have we not scored since then or are we fourth in the league?
We're Donny Rovers, we'll always have to sell players for financial reasons or due to them having ambitions to play at a higher level. You can't just deduct their goals & assists & decide we're doomed every time it happens !

Nor can you shrug your shoulders and say it won't make any difference.

As I've said in other threads, if we can replace Whiteman and Sims with the same amount of quality, we'll be fine; and I'm not one of those who's against loans.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on January 15, 2021, 07:49:13 pm by selby »
  Steve we lost Jack Teasdale as well playing for an FA representative side in South Africa where he picked up a bad knee injury.

robchester

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on January 15, 2021, 07:55:47 pm by robchester »
I’d rather sell players to allow DRFC to survive. We can build again and go again. The important thing here in these crazy times is we survive. Ben was a great player but we’ve had many of those before and we will again.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on January 16, 2021, 07:16:40 pm by normal rules »
I’d settle for club survival during these odd times. Promotion can wait.
God knows how much the club is being bank rolled at the moment. This will help.
Unless I’m mistaken, rovers are and have always been more of a selling club. We do not have the clout to do anything else.
To buy Whiteman for around 300k and sell for 6 times that (minus sell on clause) is a great bit of business for a small club like rovers. Is this deal not the biggest ever for the club?

As has been eluded to, one man does not make a team.
Today’s result being a good example.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 16, 2021, 07:25:36 pm by Campsall rover »
I’d settle for club survival during these odd times. Promotion can wait.
God knows how much the club is being bank rolled at the moment. This will help.
Unless I’m mistaken, rovers are and have always been more of a selling club. We do not have the clout to do anything else.
To buy Whiteman for around 300k and sell for 6 times that (minus sell on clause) is a great bit of business for a small club like rovers. Is this deal not the biggest ever for the club?

As has been eluded to, one man does not make a team.
Today’s result being a good example.
Think we only paid around £150.000 for Ben.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on January 16, 2021, 07:32:30 pm by Michael Shaw »
I always value the comments on our performance by the opposition fans.

It made me smile to read the Swindon fans' perspective of our team lower down the article. Respect. Long may it last.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/19017220.john-sheridan-reacts-swindon-towns-2-1-defeat-doncaster-rovers/

TinyPortal © 2005-2012