Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:58:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Musings #19: Banishing a Bad Week  (Read 1091 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Musings #19: Banishing a Bad Week
« on February 14, 2021, 12:31:01 pm by RoversAlias »
Hi folks.

Needless to say that I was not in a very good mood after that game!

Following on from yesterday's shambolic defeat, I've put together an article discussing what's gone wrong for Rovers in the last two games, and looking at how Darren Moore can sort the issues. You can check it out at the link below:

https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/musings-from-the-south-stand-19-banishing-a-bad-week

Many thanks for reading as ever, please let me know your thoughts - do you agree with the sentiments in the piece? Do you think this is just a blip or do we have bigger concerns over our chances this season?

:scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Spud

• VSC Member
Re: Musings #19: Banishing a Bad Week
« Reply #1 on February 14, 2021, 12:45:31 pm by Spud »
Mostly agree, probably time to take Cam out & hope Reece can remember how to play full back, like you say there are plenty of options in midfield now.
Not sure if I'd stick with Omar or bring Fej back, probably be good to give Omar more minutes, we haven't really found much out about him on that showing, but Fej hasn't done too much wrong either. You can always play then both of course, but that means Fej out on the left or changing the system.
I think we've all understandably got a bit carried away with the run of results, when in truth, particularly away from home, we haven't really been playing anyone off the park. Still, we haven't become a terrible side all of a sudden either. We do seem to be a constant work in progress though, do we even know our best 11 yet?
Plenty for Darren & the team to work on, hopefully we can get back on track in the week against Accrington & give a good account of ourselves at home to Hull too.
Enjoy the ride, it could be worse !

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 14, 2021, 01:36:25 pm by steve@dcfd »
If we can’t get the best midfield three right we won’t banish any bad week. Since taking James out of midfield three we have looked poor. I can see the arguments of putting him back to left back. As we appear t be hanging John out to dry by some on here. If the Midfield three was right then we would protect the defence better and spring board attacks better. So down to DM to get the Midfield three right. Not Gomes not good enough passer and too gun ho. So it’s down to Greaves, Robinson or Bostock which one is best defensively. So by putting James back to Left back we might see a better performance there but without the right midfield three I don’t think so. Accrington will cause us problems and they can score.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 14, 2021, 01:43:54 pm by Spud »
Love to see Greaves getting another chance tbh.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 14, 2021, 03:54:19 pm by BobG »
Nice article Alias. Well written as always.

The only thought I could add to what you have written is to wonder whether or not the cohesion of squad and XI who play has been impacted by the many additions to the squad?

I know we needed more bodies. I know what we have brought in look good and worthwhile additions. But there's a helluva lot of 'em. Can the pre existing squad, and they, integrate without impacting anything? Personally, and with no direct evidence at all, I think human nature dictates it cannot be done.

Cheers

BobG

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 14, 2021, 06:49:50 pm by scawsby steve »
Hi folks.

Needless to say that I was not in a very good mood after that game!

Following on from yesterday's shambolic defeat, I've put together an article discussing what's gone wrong for Rovers in the last two games, and looking at how Darren Moore can sort the issues. You can check it out at the link below:

https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/musings-from-the-south-stand-19-banishing-a-bad-week

Many thanks for reading as ever, please let me know your thoughts - do you agree with the sentiments in the piece? Do you think this is just a blip or do we have bigger concerns over our chances this season?

:scarf:

Very good article, Alias. Just a bit of pedantry from me as usual, mate; we're at home to Accrington.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 14, 2021, 09:23:23 pm by drfchound »
If we can’t get the best midfield three right we won’t banish any bad week. Since taking James out of midfield three we have looked poor. I can see the arguments of putting him back to left back. As we appear t be hanging John out to dry by some on here. If the Midfield three was right then we would protect the defence better and spring board attacks better. So down to DM to get the Midfield three right. Not Gomes not good enough passer and too gun ho. So it’s down to Greaves, Robinson or Bostock which one is best defensively. So by putting James back to Left back we might see a better performance there but without the right midfield three I don’t think so. Accrington will cause us problems and they can score.

Steve, it’s Robertson mate, not Robinson.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 16, 2021, 03:23:06 pm by RoversAlias »
Thanks for the feedback folks, it's appreciated.

I do see the argument that James in centre midfield might be the reason we've struggled since moving him but, to me, I think we need to give Bostock the confidence to play that central role now he's here and getting sharper, and James is simply a better left back than Cam John. I think John is the biggest weak link in the side at the moment, not that it was by any means down to him only that we lost in the manner we did against Sunderland.

Bob - Gelling the players together is always a challenge but I like to think the character of this squad and the manager mean it should be easy to integrate new additions so I'd like to think that hasn't been too much of a factor. But it is always worth considering, certainly.

Steve - aye I messed that up, for some reason I thought we were away what with the Hull game at the weekend being a home match!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012