Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:56:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game  (Read 6777 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game
« on January 23, 2021, 07:39:37 pm by selby »
  Back to the main aim of the season doing well and trying to get promotion from Division 1 now the cup run is ended.
 Standing in our way is on Tuesday night are Wimbledon led by who I think is one of the division's top strikers in Joe Pigott, who always gives our back four a hard time of it.
  The last few times we have lost a game we have hit straight back to go on a mini run of victories that have kept us in the hunt in the promotion race, it would be nice to start off another in this game on Tuesday, but will be far from easy.
  Partnered by Longman and with wide players like Alexander they are a team that always seem to stretch us in defence and are physical with it.
  They have recently had a run of games against the top sides in the division who mostly have taken the points, prior to the point at Crewe they have lost 4-0 and 3-0 to Portsmouth and Sunderland something we need to try and emulate so as not to lose ground, at least now it is the only thing we have to concentrate on.
  Against Crewe they only had 39% possession but still had more shots at goal than Crewe 14 to 12  so when they attack they are direct and dangerous.
  Our big question is will we have any new reinforcements in the form of new signings, or players returning from injury? the former exciting and probably more likely.
  Can we return to winning ways once again quickly which has been a feature of our season so far?
  If we do have some incoming new blood, what positions would you prefer them to be in?
  Are you Happy we have made a few bob from the cup exploits this season, but can now concentrate on the main job in hand? I am.
  What team would you pick for this game?
  Again lots to discuss, lots of excitement and games to watch to the end of the season if it is allowed to continue, and despite our disappointment this afternoon  lots to look forward to, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Big Fey

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game
« Reply #1 on January 23, 2021, 07:44:51 pm by Big Fey »
Wimbledon are bottom of the 10 game form table,  which when it comes to drfc usually means one thing... We are masters of reversing the fortunes of struggling teams..

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 23, 2021, 08:01:12 pm by since-1969 »
I wonder if we’ll have any new faces for Tuesday or at least know who they are !!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 23, 2021, 08:25:05 pm by Campsall rover »
Balcombe in goal.
Maybe give Butts a rest and play Joe Wright at centre back with Anderson.
Halliday at right back. John at left back.
Midfield 3 of Smith, James and TJ  with TJ in the advanced position.
Front 3 of Jon Taylor, Simoes and Fej.

Subs,
Jones, Butler, Horton, Amos, Greaves, Williams and Lokilo

Could make a case for starting Greaves as his physicality in the midfield could be very useful against a physical team. Just a bit concerned he could get himself sent off with some of the refs we are getting.
Today though i thought the ref was excellent, not one yellow card.

That team Assuming Copps and Gomes are not fit yet.
We desperately need 2 new bodies ASAP with Sims and JJ out injured.

Think DM knows best and he will pick the team for the job allowing for injuries.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 08:57:25 pm by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 23, 2021, 08:34:32 pm by Campsall rover »
Wimbledon are bottom of the 10 game form table,  which when it comes to drfc usually means one thing... We are masters of reversing the fortunes of struggling teams..
Sshh please.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 23, 2021, 08:51:16 pm by selby »
  I would not be surprised if there is a couple of new faces in the squad Tuesday and if things repeat themselves with the manager and his recruitment team could have been training with us for a couple of weeks, which is something I know nothing about just going on how the first game of the season the team contained players who nobody knew anything about but had been here prior to the game.
  Other than that I see no need to panic, especially with the defence which at our level has been outstanding and will not come up against the quality they have today.
  The three wide men all offer something again at our level as does Fey, Smith and Taylor Richards have played well in league games, and Greaves deserves to be in the squad  so any additions, if they are even better will be good players, and with the likes of Gomes and Coppinger nearing return and a little later JJ I think we have enough with a couple to stage a decent challenge.
   Even the likes of Hull and Lincoln are way off the standard of team we came up against today.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 23, 2021, 09:08:11 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Moore liked to try and nullify the opposition with our selection so I wouldn’t be suprised if we have the same back 4 again.

I’d like to have James and Halliday back at full back it’ll help us no end going forward. Then bring in Greaves and TR In midfield who should both have plenty in the tank. Toss up between Lokilo and Simones for the left winger role

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 23, 2021, 09:17:50 pm by Campsall rover »
Moore liked to try and nullify the opposition with our selection so I wouldn’t be suprised if we have the same back 4 again.

I’d like to have James and Halliday back at full back it’ll help us no end going forward. Then bring in Greaves and TR In midfield who should both have plenty in the tank. Toss up between Lokilo and Simones for the left winger role
Think Simoes is in a different class to Lokilo. Just my opinion.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 23, 2021, 09:20:50 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Worry with him is working back but we should be looking to attack so I’d agree he’s the better choice tbf

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 23, 2021, 09:37:47 pm by Retdon1 »

Lokilo is bang average for me. Offers very little going forward and very lightweight in possession. Apart from that 20 minute cameo when he came on for his debut last season, I’ve not seen him have any impact on a game

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 23, 2021, 09:52:38 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Back to business. Hope they learned from WHU about movement and working off the ball. Personnel aside, we weren't on the ball today with some poor touches in possession. Only when Richards came on did we show anything like our normal selves.

We've got to dust ourselves down, take the smelling salts and work our socks off.

Reinforcements will be welcome however, there's no reason we can't do well with the players DM has available now, it's just about getting a more balanced team than today.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 23, 2021, 10:01:49 pm by albie »
I thought Lokilo came off concussed today.

If so, he will not be considered for Tuesday.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 23, 2021, 10:08:40 pm by drfchound »

Lokilo is bang average for me. Offers very little going forward and very lightweight in possession. Apart from that 20 minute cameo when he came on for his debut last season, I’ve not seen him have any impact on a game

I have not been his greatest fan but TBF I have complemented him on his last two appearances for us and suggested that he seemed to have a new found confidence.
He seemed to have lost it again today but TBF he was up against a better team than we usually play against.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 23, 2021, 11:07:17 pm by steve@dcfd »
If we have two players in time for Tuesday and they have been training with us will DM start them if not they will be on the bench.

Balcombe in goal
Halliday Wright Anderson John ( give Andy a rest but the defence has been better with him in so I’m not sure)
Three of Smith James Richards.  (There is a shout for Greaves.)
Three of Taylor Okenabirhie Simoes

Jones Butler Amos Greaves Another Williams Another ( Lokilo will be out if concussed if not he will be there. The Another’s could be the two new players.) It was said Friday that Copps and Gomes won’t be available till end of the month.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 11:10:26 pm by steve@dcfd »

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 24, 2021, 12:50:11 am by StocksArmy »
It just baffles me that fans feel Butler should be dropped on todays showing. It is literally just on todays showing as well. The guy hasnt put a foot wrong before today. Benrahma blasted it in his nuts and nearly folded him in half (I think it was 3-0 at the time) and he still made sure he was back in position for the 2nd and 3rd phase of play. Hes a starter for me until he starts to underperform in the league where it matters. If you want poor performers over the whole season and somehow keep their shirts i give you Jon Taylor and Jason Lokilo. Cameron John is still to convince me he can play in League One also.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:18:36 am by StocksArmy »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 24, 2021, 05:54:53 am by Alan Southstand »
Yesterday was a one-off game and a bit of perspective is required. Why on Earth drop Butler, when he has been the catalyst for a rock of a defence. The difference yesterday was in midfield, where we were absolutely exposed, for our lack of know-how and movement. Smith looked totally out of his depth yesterday, but he was one of many, against that level of opposition. Don’t let’s go grabbing at this, that and the other and making changes for the sake of it (I’m sure the manager will not).

The underlying problem with us is the lack of any depth and the desperate need for reinforcements (which I have banged on about for weeks, now). We simply have to get these 2 new lads in ASAP, as we did look to be playing on a ploughed field yesterday. We’re getting very close to the whole team suffering ‘burn out’ and it needs correcting. Also, what a difference, in the final third, would Simms have made, yesterday and going forward. It’s that level of quality that makes the difference in tight games and when backs are against the wall.

The only trouble with Tuesday’s game is it comes too quickly for any recovery, so we have to roll our sleeves up and get back to it.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 24, 2021, 09:25:17 am by roversdude »
I don’t get this panic, we lost to the form team in the Prem.
Butler has been immense for us and should continue

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 24, 2021, 09:35:26 am by NickDRFC »

Point of order - a few people have mentioned that West Ham are “the form team” in the Premier League. Over the last 6 games, they’ve won 3, drawn 2 and lost 1; Man City have won all 6, Everton have won 5, Leicester, Man Utd & Arsenal have all won 4. West Ham have had a few good results but they’re not “the” form team.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 24, 2021, 09:47:57 am by Janso »
It's not the result that bothers most people, it's the way we shat the bed in slow motion.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 24, 2021, 09:55:03 am by selby »
  Butler made an uncharacteristic poor pass that cost us a goal yesterday and people want to drop him, but I trust him in possession much more than Cameron John who is prone to be untidy in possession and miss places passes nearly every game.
  John has other attributes that give us something in games pace and strength being two things he gives us, but is learning the game on the hoof compared with positional and experience compared with Butler.
  John and Butler have been brilliant as a unit with the other defenders, and will have learnt a lot about defending at the top level as a unit yesterday, how anyone can be critical of the team and doubt their ability to play at our level well just because of the difference in class shown yesterday shocks me, we needed at least four or five of the West Ham side to be off their game to have a chance, as it was they had 9 or 10 outfield players on their game looking for a first team start, and wanted a good result from the first minute.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 24, 2021, 10:02:00 am by idler »
Any pressure was off West Ham as soon as they scored. They could knock it about as they wished leaving us to chase. 1-0 at HT and we have a bit of a chance to change things but we just had too much to do.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 24, 2021, 10:42:06 am by godlike1 »
I think the way the BBC reported the west ham game doesn't help either. They seem to have expected us to compete in a game where really we didn't stand a chance and so that's where people take their views from.

I'm hoping that game was the blip in our current run to help us refocus and start a new run. Teams around us are making it difficult to keep up. We need to be ruthless on Tuesday so that we don't become that win that Wimbledon are probably due

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 24, 2021, 12:13:01 pm by normal rules »
I hope the defeat last night was the blip in the current run of form.

Big Fey

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 24, 2021, 01:20:02 pm by Big Fey »
Sshh please.
I'll let you into a little Secret..  Words on a Web forum have no baring on events in the real world..  If they did, we would all try some sort of reverse psychology... 

CantleyRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 24, 2021, 03:16:40 pm by CantleyRed »
Sshh please.
I'll let you into a little Secret..  Words on a Web forum have no baring on events in the real world..  If they did, we would all try some sort of reverse psychology... 

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 24, 2021, 03:57:49 pm by Chris Black come back »
AFC Wimbledon are on an absolutely appalling run of form. Last ten games in league have delivered 7 defeats, 2 draws and a single win (this was ten games ago, amusingly against Peterborough). Their last five away games in the league have seen 3 defeats and 2 draws.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 24, 2021, 05:00:28 pm by roversdude »
Just noticed that Peter Wright is the ref on Tuesday, from what I remember he is another of the inconsistent officials

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 24, 2021, 05:34:52 pm by idler »
Just noticed that Peter Wright is the ref on Tuesday, from what I remember he is another of the inconsistent officials
You mean Peter Wright is sometimes Pete Tong?

Big Fey

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 24, 2021, 05:41:02 pm by Big Fey »
forget the results on the last 2 league games, overall the performance has been really poor in midfield and attack, we have been woefully lacking options.  And needed the solid defence to secure the points.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 24, 2021, 06:07:59 pm by roversdude »
You mean Peter Wright is sometimes Pete Tong?

Nice one idler

TinyPortal © 2005-2012