Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:20:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What We Learned from West Ham Loss  (Read 1564 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
What We Learned from West Ham Loss
« on January 25, 2021, 11:25:10 pm by RoversAlias »
Hi folks,

A slightly different format for this one, but the same analysis and thoughts from myself on Saturday's FA Cup defeat. I touch on the negative reaction to the game and look into what we could have done differently as a team, among other things. You can check it out at the link below:

https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/what-we-learned-west-ham-4-0-doncaster-rovers

Many thanks for reading as ever, please let me know your thoughts - where do you fall on the disappointment scale after this one? What else can we take from the game as we move forward and try to be successful this season?

:scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: What We Learned from West Ham Loss
« Reply #1 on January 26, 2021, 12:06:00 am by drfchound »
Well written with good sentiment RA.
I’m not sure that Butler shanked the ball into his own net though.
I think that the ball unexpectedly came to him at such a height that was impossible to clear and it just hit him and went in.
Although we did get hammered I sat through the whole game without feeling too upset. From the moment the draw was made I never expected us to do anything other than lose and that first minute goal appeared to knock the stuffing out of any belief the side may have had.
I hope that John Bostock is as good as he is being pumped up to be.
I had never heard of him before this week so have no opinions about him myself.
It is important to win against Wimbledon when considering the tough run of fixtures that follow.
I think that the team will be looking to get back on track and I don’t think they will be too down on their confidence after Saturdays result.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 26, 2021, 09:37:43 am by Campsall rover »
Very good summing up of the match on Saturday Alias.

Onwards & upwards.  :bbscarf:

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 26, 2021, 09:57:43 am by jmt23 »
irrelevant now I know but, I think Butts was looking to hoof it, but Tom dived in the way to try and get rid, and left Butts nowhere to go.

Onwards and hopefully upwards tonight. Come on you reds!

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 26, 2021, 11:54:50 am by since-1969 »
What have we learned from the west ham loss . Only the we forensically  examine every bad ball and poor tactic against a team we stood not hells chance in beating , So for the purists we were out of our depth !

welloffside

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 26, 2021, 02:03:41 pm by welloffside »
Alias,

Much, if not all, of your comments I pretty much agree with. As I do with the replies.

Question.     Why did we not wear the Home Kit?    Is there a contractual agreement to have a FA Cup away kit.?

I personally think the dark kit is awful. I remember in my playing days, both as a player, and running Sunday sides, that you chose a kit you could see in a flash.   Why not have a second kit of, say, all yellow.

It would be interesting to hear what players think of the dark kit.  Remember when Man. U  changed their grey kit at half time ''because the players couldn't see each other against the crowd' (Fergie rule)

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 26, 2021, 02:55:02 pm by i_ateallthepies »
On the away kit, welloffsid, I totally agree.  We lost possession in a recent game when one of our players passed the ball to the dugouts when there was none of our players anywhere near.  Everyone on the touchline - coaches and the 4th official were wearing black.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 26, 2021, 03:00:43 pm by ravenrover »
And on Saturday when that stupid Vitality adert came on with that black dachsund, or is that dachsund of colour, trotting around

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 26, 2021, 03:05:32 pm by jmt23 »
Each to their own, but I think the black kit is one of the best I have seen in my 35 years supporting. I understand the points raised though.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 26, 2021, 06:34:28 pm by scawsby steve »
Great write-up as usual, Alias. Personally, I think Andy's mistake for the second goal was worse than his own goal; absolute Sunday League pass, and so unlike him.

I personally think the occasion got to them.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 26, 2021, 09:56:04 pm by RoversAlias »
Thanks for the feedback so far folks, have to say I think Butts will not be best pleased with some of the goals but he was far from the only one - collectively just a step too far for them on the day unfortunately.

As for the kit, I don't think it's an issue really although I much prefer a different colour. It is a smart kit though and I think our home kit would have clashed a bit with West Ham's due to the claret/red contrast. We'll never know I suppose!

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 26, 2021, 10:01:17 pm by Al4475 »
What did we learn?

Sadly West Ham are currently significantly better than us.

We didn't help ourselves by letting that real early goal in and, imo, letting the occasion get the better of us.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012