Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:48:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Fleetwood game  (Read 7012 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Fleetwood game
« on February 06, 2021, 07:40:44 pm by selby »
  Now for another big test against a team that historically can think back to pleasant memories in past games against us in games at Fleetwood, our record being we have never won on their ground, and have very rarely avoided defeat, many times going there with high hopes and coming away too often well beaten.
  Can we at last get a winning result and come away with the three points we need to keep the pressure on teams above and around us.
   To do so we have to do it against a team full of players and a manager who we seem to have been playing against for ages, Simon Grayson is the new man in charge with a team containing goalkeeper Cairns a Donny lad, our ex left back Andrew, plus Paddy Madden, Vassell, and Morris who we have come up against on a regular basis for different clubs over the last few seasons, and who we know on their day can be a thorn in our side.
  Missing this trip will be the company of Joey Barton the ex manager and Ched Evans of  whom I will not miss their company at all.
  It is the first year that Fleetwood themselves  have  not been pushing for a playoff place themselves since getting promotion to division1, and of late have fallen away, with from the outside looking in for the first time since coming into the league things not going as well as they have in the past as a collective, but with the collection of players mentioned plus others are on paper a dangerous outfit well capable of causing an upset, and we will have to be at our best to overcome a dangerous opponent.
  After a great win over Oxford it will be a matter of seeing how we are as a team fitness wise, Taylor Richards who I predicted would be on the end of a kicking the obvious worry, and because of the intensity and Physicality of the game others will have picked up knocks, Oxford being adept at off the ball gamesmanship especially in midfield.
  We do however go into the game in high spirits, having had a wonderful run of results that has given us all hope of it being a memorable season for reasons other than the fact we have not been able to attend matches, the strangest football season of all time.
  Can we at last tick Highbury off as a stadium we have won a game at?
  Do you like me think that Fleetwood are a better side than their league position and are a dangerous opponent?
  Have we now got the strength in depth to cover a couple of players and rotate the squad a little?
   Were you impressed by the cameo performances of the couple of new players getting on the field v Oxford?
   Would you be going to this game in normal circumstances?
   Would you be having fish and chips for tea?
  Lots to discuss about this game, lots of people including myself hoping at last for a win in this fixture, Pease have your say, Fleetwood fans welcome to contribute.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Fleetwood game
« Reply #1 on February 06, 2021, 08:26:27 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Keeping this run going will be a task but I think we can do that. The weather may add a factor.

It's a ground we've never won at. The best are 2 0-0 draws and then a 2-1 defeat, and then 3-1 and 3-0 defeats. Quite simply, it's our turn for a win.

I expect Bostock to make a good 30 mins appearance if not starting.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 06, 2021, 08:52:40 pm by rich1471 »
The midfield we have is scary , bostock , Sims, Smith, Gomez, coops, Taylor, Richards  , Robertson , lokilo and AJ greaves plus add halliday and James how would you choose , Darren has a hard Job

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 06, 2021, 08:54:32 pm by scawsby steve »
The only thing I enjoyed about that 2-1 defeat there last season, was the day out with Jimmydee.

The ground is bloody awful.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 06, 2021, 09:25:46 pm by Alan Southstand »
Looking at he weather forecast, it could be off.

If it’s on, I see a few changes on the cards for Tuesday, as I think one or two are showing signs of wear and tear. Of the team that played today, I’m not sure putting Gomes in the defensive 2 worked and it certainly diminished James input to the match. There’s certainly going to be a question mark over Taylor Richards fitness (and Gomes also picked up a knock). Fej simply needs a break - he looked exhausted in the first half, then he pops in another goal early in the second half. However, he’d be ‘rested’ on Tuesday and that is if Bogle is in contention. The only other injury doubt is Cameron John, but he seemed to have run off an injury he got in the first half.

Lots to consider for DM, going into Tuesday and it will depend what condition the lads are in, come Monday morning.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 07, 2021, 07:10:51 am by IDM »
Whoever plays I think we should try to get off to a flier and hit them hard from the start, hopefully get an early lead and then we can manage the game as Fleetwood would have to come at us..

Team.?  No idea.!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 07, 2021, 08:20:57 am by sha66y »
They will fear us, from now until we get comprehensively beaten we are the Form team, the team on a roll, the team that keeps winning....

Teams will want to take a point off us, stop us, even try to outthink us...but they can’t,
we are unfathomably adaptable, we nullify and overcome, we penetrate and maim, then raise our shields draw our swords and hold the line.

We have individuals who look clumsy and disjointed like wooden poles at a lamppost party....but together they are like a pontoon bridge that is helping us cross those rough waters

Rtid

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 07, 2021, 11:58:15 am by selby »
  I can't for the life of me understand the fascination of resting Fej while he is putting the ball in the net on a regular basis.
  I have never known a striker who is in the form he is in in front of goal ever not wanting to play the next game Alan, they have always been the most self centred players in every team who lived to score goals.
   Marquis was one of the best at showing how much he wanted to play, always looking distinctly arsy when not doing so.
  I don't think Fej would thank anyone for not playing.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 07, 2021, 12:04:29 pm by the vicar »
Another bogey side that we need to beat

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 07, 2021, 01:12:12 pm by i_ateallthepies »
They will fear us, from now until we get comprehensively beaten we are the Form team, the team on a roll, the team that keeps winning....

Teams will want to take a point off us, stop us, even try to outthink us...but they can’t,
we are unfathomably adaptable, we nullify and overcome, we penetrate and maim, then raise our shields draw our swords and hold the line.

We have individuals who look clumsy and disjointed like wooden poles at a lamppost party....but together they are like a pontoon bridge that is helping us cross those rough waters

Rtid

Been reading too much Bernard Cornwell sha66y  :)

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 07, 2021, 01:31:33 pm by since-1969 »
They are not the same performances that battered and intimidated teams at home since Barton and Evans left , they seem to have lost that side of their game , none the less  I wouldn’t want to concede first , as I think their previous incarnation could just return !

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 07, 2021, 02:23:41 pm by IDM »
I’m beginning to think the only winner is going to be the weather, not just our game too..

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 07, 2021, 02:35:59 pm by RugbyRover »
next to bottom of the form table. 3 points from 6 games. would be a shock if we didn't win this one.

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 07, 2021, 03:18:53 pm by redandwhitearmy »
next to bottom of the form table. 3 points from 6 games. would be a shock if we didn't win this one.

15/8 at the bookies which is a huge price.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 07, 2021, 03:45:03 pm by MachoMadness »
That's a 1-0 defeat nailed on now, cheers RR!

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 07, 2021, 04:42:04 pm by RugbyRover »

I should know better shouldn't I ?

hopefully the rain will get me out of jail

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 07, 2021, 05:02:33 pm by selby »
 Yes you should.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 07, 2021, 09:28:43 pm by drfchound »

Tempting fate doesn’t make any difference to results.
.apparently.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 07, 2021, 10:13:43 pm by the vicar »
Same back division Smith and Baldock holding.  If fit from his knee, I think Richards on the bench to give him a bit of a rest

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 07, 2021, 10:34:22 pm by Janso »

.apparently.

I can assure you that what we say about a game of football before it happens will have no bearing on the outcome. What on earth could words on a fans messageboard actually do to influence events?  :ermm:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 08, 2021, 11:19:36 am by selby »
  Janso, we are probably the older mob who live in hope rather than expectation, our experience tells us Doncaster Rovers don't do easy.

Big Fey

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 08, 2021, 11:30:04 am by Big Fey »

.apparently.
sounds like you actually believe that they do?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 08, 2021, 12:08:13 pm by selby »
  Hound probably does like me seeing it happen all too often over many years.
  Anyway I have just looked at the weather forecast by the BBC and it doesn't look anywhere as bad as we can look forward to over here and if the forecast is true the game should go ahead.
  At least we will not have to travel in the bad weather or sit in the cold to watch it with ifollow.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 08, 2021, 12:19:41 pm by turnbull for england »
Rovers have historically proven that confidence is the noise made just before you fall on your arse. Also see 'spursing it '

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 08, 2021, 01:06:32 pm by EasyforDennis »
There is one little shit who can beat us tomorrow. Andy Haines!! Now he is a crap referee.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 08, 2021, 01:16:12 pm by Chris Black come back »
Same back division Smith and Baldock holding.  If fit from his knee, I think Richards on the bench to give him a bit of a rest

Not sure he will start Bostock yet but I expect him to get more than the 10 mins he got on Saturday. Madger seemed to struggle in second half.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 08, 2021, 02:06:59 pm by Alan Southstand »
Selby:

I have never known a striker who is in the form he is in in front of goal ever not wanting to play the next game Alan, they have always been the most self centred players in every team who lived to score goals.

I’m certainly not questioning Fej’s desire to play regularly and I’m not questioning his overall game. If there’s one small part of his game that can be improved, it’s his hold-up play. He looks, and is, far more threatening when he’s facing the opposition’s box.

Trouble is, DM wants him/needs him to do the hold-up role as well. There’s been nobody worked harder than Fej over the last few weeks and he’s simply not had any respite from it; and there are my 2 reasons why I think DM may be swayed to try a relatively fresh body up there, doing the thankless job of taking the knocks and defending from the front.

Imho, when JJ did the hold-up and Fej played out on the left, Fej played like he’d had the shackles taken off. This must be in the back of DM’s mind and there will be some games where he’ll try it. Maybe not yet, but I can see it happening.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 08, 2021, 04:16:33 pm by Campsall rover »

Rtid
And there’s me thinking we were a football team.  ;)   

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 08, 2021, 05:58:29 pm by Janso »
  Janso, we are probably the older mob who live in hope rather than expectation, our experience tells us Doncaster Rovers don't do easy.

I don't disagree with that, and I don't like to count my chickens before they're strolling around the basket whinging for some scran, but I just don't understand the concept of some mystical force deciding that because we've said on an internet messageboard we think we're going to win, it's going to mess with us and make us lose.

Surely every game in the country would be a draw if that was the case because people on both sides will say they're going to win.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 08, 2021, 06:23:53 pm by Campsall rover »

I don't disagree with that, and I don't like to count my chickens before they're strolling around the basket whinging for some scran, but I just don't understand the concept of some mystical force deciding that because we've said on an internet messageboard we think we're going to win, it's going to mess with us and make us lose.

Surely every game in the country would be a draw if that was the case because people on both sides will say they're going to win.
It’s an expression Janso.
Just like getting manager of month award is usually the kiss of death.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012