Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:35:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Blackpool game  (Read 3183 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Blackpool game
« on February 21, 2021, 10:01:53 am by selby »
  Well we stopped the rot yesterday at least, showed fight and bounce back ability, and no little attacking intent in the second half.
  The feeling of everyone at the end was it felt like a win after looking like every time Hull got into our area they would score.
  Lessons learnt 1) at the moment we are far better playing the game in the oppositions half. 2) we have players in the team that can unlock defences and we should be playing the sort of game that suits their ability 3) if Fey or Bogle are on the pitch don't let anyone else near taking a penalty.
  In Blackpool we play a team that has more connection with our own academy set up with players Husband and Yates coming through it when younger and have developed into very good players especially at this level. Other well known players like Embleton, Dougall, Simms, and goalkeeper Maxwell give their squad a solid look and we will have to play well to get anything, which I  think we will do, there putting myself up to be shot at, knowing it will be hard.
  We certainly need to sort out our defensive frailties which have raised their head since the Lincoln Oxford games which proved we have it in our locker to be solid at the back, we need to combine the attacking intent shown yesterday with the defending we have shown in the past.
   I have stated I fancy us to do well in this game, Is it just Hope? or based on our ability?
   A big question, what side would you pick for this game?
   Coppinger is back with a bang, will he take on more of a role in the team to the end of the season now?
   What's your answer to our frailties from set pieces?
   Can we now kick on again?
   How dangerous are Blackpool?
   Many unbeaten runs have started off with one or two draws, can we go on another little run of good results?
   Lot's to discuss about this game' on a field that in the past has not been the best to play free flowing football on and has resembled the beach across the road, Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Blackpool game
« Reply #1 on February 21, 2021, 10:54:12 am by Alan Southstand »
To be honest, confidence is big factor in football and yesterday we showed signs of getting it back, with a tremendous second half showing against Hull. IF we can take that into the Blackpool game and avoid these Mickey Mouse defensive lapses, then we’ve every chance. However, Blackpool are putting together a tidy run themselves and are getting clean sheets as well, so no way is this going to be an easy game.

As usual, I’d take a draw now, but secretly I’d love us to get all 3 points.

So long as Gomes isn’t selected, we’ve half a chance, as I thought he looked totally lost yesterday! And Balcombe needs to calm himself down a bit - I think he was flapping a bit yesterday and nearly gave Hull a fourth, with a silly attempted pass out to James.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 21, 2021, 01:07:52 pm by Campsall rover »
Looking at the Hull goals Balcolmbe was rooted to the goal line when he should have been coming off his line to catch or punch the ball. This is very unlike him as he is usually very positive at dominating his 6 yard box in the air.
Seems the Fleetwood & Sunderland games conceding 7 goals has knocked his confidence.
He has been such a huge part of our previous solid defence so hopefully he can back to his old self pretty quickly. Having a goalkeeper who takes the pressure off his defenders is invaluable.
Team for Blackpool as yesterday except start Bostock instead of Gomes which was my team for yesterday also. But my opinion is not the one that counts. DM will pick the team he thinks is the right one whatever any of us thinks. He is the one who sees them day in day out and knows their fitness levels.
Big game Tuesday and again a point wont be a bad result based on Blackpool’s recent form.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 21, 2021, 03:23:43 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Perhaps it wasn't conceding 7 goals that knocked his confidence to dominate his area but rather knocking one of his team mates out when he last did it.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 21, 2021, 03:34:40 pm by since-1969 »
Perhaps it wasn't conceding 7 goals that knocked his confidence to dominate his area but rather knocking one of his team mates out when he last did it.
Balcolme is starting to show his lack of judgment. He has not helped since knocking Anderson out as a decent goal keeper knows who to hit and how hard and mistakes are getting regular now in games and nearly cost us again yesterday but for the post saving his blushes .    He’s a potential liability if promotion is our aim .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 21, 2021, 04:07:01 pm by drfchound »
Although Balcombe could possibly have done better with the first and third goals I don’t think he was to blame for the second one.
Because of the angle that the cross came in he would have been unwise to attempt to cut it out.
For me, Anderson or James were culpable for not getting a head to the ball.
Sometimes though you just have to say that it was a great ball in and good play by Wilks to get ahead of the defender.
Had we scored that goal we would have been raving about it rather than blaming the opponents defenders.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 04:30:00 pm by drfchound »

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 21, 2021, 04:10:59 pm by anton123 »
I’d swap bostock for Gomes and fej or lokilo who I think is showing great improvement for Taylor who needs a kick up the ass for me just not getting past his man and creating owt at the min

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 21, 2021, 04:26:52 pm by eastender »
At least Blackpool won't have Gnanduillet to head home a last minute winner like he did at the Keepmoat last season.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 21, 2021, 06:20:26 pm by selby »
 Eastender, Yates is just as dangerous and probably a better all round player.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 21, 2021, 07:12:12 pm by scawsby steve »
Looking at the Hull goals Balcolmbe was rooted to the goal line when he should have been coming off his line to catch or punch the ball. This is very unlike him as he is usually very positive at dominating his 6 yard box in the air.
Seems the Fleetwood & Sunderland games conceding 7 goals has knocked his confidence.
He has been such a huge part of our previous solid defence so hopefully he can back to his old self pretty quickly. Having a goalkeeper who takes the pressure off his defenders is invaluable.
Team for Blackpool as yesterday except start Bostock instead of Gomes which was my team for yesterday also. But my opinion is not the one that counts. DM will pick the team he thinks is the right one whatever any of us thinks. He is the one who sees them day in day out and knows their fitness levels.
Big game Tuesday and again a point wont be a bad result based on Blackpool’s recent form.

You'd start with Taylor again? Really?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 21, 2021, 08:40:07 pm by selby »
  The state of the pitch could come into the thinking of the manager when picking his team.
 In recent years it has not been exactly a pitch to be running with the ball on.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 21, 2021, 08:57:43 pm by eastender »
Eastender, Yates is just as dangerous and probably a better all round player.

I don't doubt that for a minute, but i was thinking more about our lack of ability to deal with aerial threats at the moment. Yates at 5' 8" isn't quite the threat Gnanduillet would have been at 6' 4".

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 21, 2021, 09:11:39 pm by selby »
  Good point EE, he was a big unit and not averse to using his arm when he needed that bit extra.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 22, 2021, 11:06:42 am by selby »
  We need to concentrate on our own game which we know when we are on it we are a handful for any team in this division. If we play well we will win more games than we will lose.
  Sims and Bostock are two players who I see getting better with game time as I expect Bogle to do also, three big plus's to the team we were fielding around Christmas.
 Add Fey and Coppinger to come back after injuries  and play a part I see no reason why we should not be a team competing for the top spots and get back on track.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 03:20:43 pm by selby »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 22, 2021, 01:46:21 pm by Campsall rover »

You'd start with Taylor again? Really?
It a difficult one SS. Jon Taylor drives me potty. He has the ability to be a match winner but is not delivering at the present time. I don’t know whether he isn’t 100% fit or his confidence is down or his brain is scrambled. One or two or all of the 3 maybe? 
Why he doesn’t use his pace and take his man on I don’t understand. When on the rare occasions he attempts a cross into the box it is being made to look as though he is wearing a mask over his eyes. More often or not he is taking the easy option and plays the ball backwards to Halliday or whoever is the easy option or pass.
DM needs to have a word and sort him out because if we can get him back to his best Bogle, Fej, etc etc are going to score goals and he may get a few himself.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 22, 2021, 03:26:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Would agree with your comments about Balcombe. Seems more distracted with what's going on in front of him ratherthan concentrating on the flight of the ball and he's put himself in no man's land.

Definitely a confidence thing as his performance at Lincoln in anticipating and gathering the ball  was top notch.

Another observation from the Hull and Sunderland games, he is getting very little protection. Other than our central defenders, the other players are providing little or no defence at all, with the opposition players being allowed the freedom of the box. Wilks for the first and second on Saturday was allowed to get goalside to easily. Same with the third with the scorer getting a free run at the ball.

Collectively we've got to be stronger and put up some resistance by preventing players dictating where they go. It's very basic stuff.

Anderson needs to tell Balcombe anything in the 6 yard box is yours and we'll protect that by blocking the on runners.

The likes of Halliday, James, Richards, Bogle, Gomes, John etc etc, all need to be stronger and prevent players getting goalside.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 22, 2021, 03:34:00 pm by Filo »
A big observation in the Hull game is they never pressed us high, leaving Bostock to run the show second half, the previous two games we were pressed and made mistakes because of that

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 22, 2021, 03:40:54 pm by selby »
  Bostock played well even when pressed by Accrington when he came on in the second half.
  If he has the will and put's in the effort, he could become as important to us as Wellens and Stock, he has the ability to.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 22, 2021, 09:17:00 pm by Alan Southstand »
Another one, like Bogle, who has gradually improved as his fitness levels increased. If anyone bothered to read the Hull version of Lucky Pint, they were going barmy about ‘Bostock running the show’ and no-one getting near him. That was down to McCann, I’m afraid, as he left Wilks to do a Marquis’ second half, and we all know how much Mallik likes hard work! Of course, listening to the arrogant one, he couldn’t understand why the players sat back!! He just simply cannot take responsibility, he’s never, ever wrong! T0sser.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 23, 2021, 11:17:58 am by jmt23 »
Not looking forward to this one, I really do not like Blackpool. Im not sure if they actually are a bogey team, but they feel like one to me. :rtid:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 23, 2021, 12:56:57 pm by Campsall rover »
Not looking forward to this one, I really do not like Blackpool. Im not sure if they actually are a bogey team, but they feel like one to me. :rtid:
A mini bogey team I think we could say.
We have had a couple of wins and a couple of draws at Bloomfield road in the last 16/17 years.
At a guess without checking probably around 11/12 games in that period.
A mixed bag at home with quite a few draws.

We are due an away win and Blackpool are due a home defeat so that’s a draw then tonight.
Would take that to be honest but if we are on it for 90+ mins we can definitely win.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 23, 2021, 05:24:36 pm by scawsby steve »

They're more of a bogey team at the Keepmoat in recent years, despite our victory this season.

Our record at Bloomfield Road over the last few seasons has been pretty good.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 23, 2021, 05:29:40 pm by Alan Southstand »
Apparently, it’s chucking it down in Blackpool.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 23, 2021, 05:45:38 pm by bpoolrover »
The game will probably be off so I would wait to buy I follow

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 23, 2021, 05:52:42 pm by podrover73 »
Apparently touch and go
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:54:45 pm by podrover73 »

swain_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 23, 2021, 05:54:39 pm by swain_drfc »
Blackpool Twitter account says the ref is taking a look at 6. Not looking promising

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 23, 2021, 06:07:52 pm by Alan Southstand »
Off.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012