Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:19:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: An asbestos story  (Read 1107 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
An asbestos story
« on March 07, 2021, 02:54:50 pm by Filo »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
Re: An asbestos story
« Reply #1 on March 07, 2021, 04:49:29 pm by auckleyflyer »
Read and I do hope there is some recourse against the insurers. There has to be some accountability.
I did a course on asbestos about 7yrs ago, at the airport as there were lots of old RAF buildings we still used.
Learnt from that it's a substance that is still widely used around the world and as in your dad's case at takes decades to develop. Wasn't banned in the UK untill early 90s I believe. UK still had not reached peak deaths either!
I do worry as spent 10yrs down ships engine rooms during the 90's on ships built-in the 70-80s in the Navy.
Sorry for your unnecessary loss x

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 07, 2021, 05:03:32 pm by belton rover »
A tragic story, Filo.
As Auckley says, let’s hope for some accountability, at least.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 07, 2021, 05:22:23 pm by Filo »
That was 2008, we had solicitors on it no win no fee, we had an inquest verdict of Death by Industrial disease, that wasn’t enough for the insurers though, they wanted tissue samples sent to America for a full asbestos fibre count, the cost was something in the region of £10k, we never had that kind of Money at the time, no win no fee wouldn’t take it any further, so we got nothing and lost my Dad at 70 years of age.

After my Dad left the Shipyard, I worked there for 4 years, in the engine rooms alongside laggers, for all I know I may be a ticking time bomb
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 05:24:35 pm by Filo »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 07, 2021, 05:34:45 pm by idler »
There are so many people possibly going to have this problem. I had quite a few mates that worked lagging at power stations in the late 60s.
I also did some in my job as well, plus cutting asbestos flues with a hacksaw. Later I came across asbestos ceiling tiles that we used to cut holes in to fit conduit through. Loads used to clean and change their own car's brake shoes as well. It is frightening that not only does it sometimes take decades to show any symptoms it just takes a small amount of asbestos to prove fatal in the end.
The worst part is that a lot of firms new how dangerous it was but didn't tell their work forces. Turner & Newall took over my old company from AE in the 80s. They have paid a lot of money out over the years for their practices in earlier years.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 07, 2021, 08:33:48 pm by roversdude »
Filo my heart goes out to you, it is a truly horrible disease.
Asbestos was the answer to everything years ago.
It’s unfortunate that although asbestos industry is legislated it is such a corrupt industry

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 07, 2021, 08:44:19 pm by Filo »
Filo my heart goes out to you, it is a truly horrible disease.
Asbestos was the answer to everything years ago.
It’s unfortunate that although asbestos industry is legislated it is such a corrupt industry

It was 13 years ago on 1st April he died, one of the last things he said to me was at least I’ll get a decent amount of money, that was his main concern, he knew he was dying, we got nothing, but a funeral to pay for

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 07, 2021, 09:13:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Shocking story Filo. My wife's step-dad died from asbestosis after years working as a gas fitter. Awful, awful way to go and the way companies and insurers treated some people is a disgrace. My heart goes out to you.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 07, 2021, 09:23:56 pm by Filo »
Shocking story Filo. My wife's step-dad died from asbestosis after years working as a gas fitter. Awful, awful way to go and the way companies and insurers treated some people is a disgrace. My heart goes out to you.
he went from a cough in November 2007 to dying in April 2008. One asbestos fibre is all it takes. They day he died was a Tuesday we played Leeds that evening, on the Monday I said to him I’ll come and see you tomorrow afternoon straight after work because we’ve got Leeds at home tomorrow night, that was the last time I saw him alive, I got a call at 9am in the morning at work, telling me to get to the hospital, I worked at Pilkington Glass Kirk Sandall, 5 mins from the hospital, by the time I got there he was dead

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 07, 2021, 10:03:20 pm by SydneyRover »
It's a terrible story Filo my sympathies to you, Sydney.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 07, 2021, 10:43:25 pm by RobTheRover »
That's terrible, Dave.

One of my old bosses died from it. He went in 18 months from going to the docs with what he thought was a pulled muscle under his arm. He was 44 when he died.  Lovely chap and a rovers fan too. He worked at the Plant when he was 18 for a year, and that was his only exposure to asbestos.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 08, 2021, 03:06:12 pm by Ldr »
That's shocking Filo mate, my Grandad died OF enphasymia (can't spell) after years working as a boilermaker at the plant

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 08, 2021, 03:12:23 pm by Filo »
I have mates to this day working on power stations stripping asbestos, on massive money, I had the chance to do the same, but I value my life more

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 08, 2021, 08:56:20 pm by roversdude »
I used to have an asbestos removal business and as dangerous as asbestos is, it is the most morally corrupt industry in the world.
I know it won’t bring your Dad back but I would try writing to your MP and look to see if they are now accepting claims under a scheme rather than individual, with these it is usually more a question of proving employment rather than exposure

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 09, 2021, 12:49:53 am by SydneyRover »
Unfortunately asbestos is a scary story for many, anyone that has worked in old industrial premises or offices or with old equipment or even new equipment from China.

''Britain’s death toll from asbestos at crisis level, figures reveal
 This article is more than 1 year old
Deaths from ‘industrial disease''

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jul/07/britains-death-toll-from-asbestos-at-crisis-level-figures-reveal

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 10, 2021, 10:01:11 pm by Draytonian III »
I have mates to this day working on power stations stripping asbestos, on massive money, I had the chance to do the same, but I value my life more

Someone offered me doing the same years, I only turned it down because I suffer from vertigo, I’m glad I do now. He spent years working on the power stations on the Trent Valley, he didn’t live much past 65

TinyPortal © 2005-2012