Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:27:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Democratic question  (Read 822 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Democratic question
« on February 23, 2021, 04:51:04 pm by Donnywolf »
43% of those who Voted in GE in December chose Tory Party
57% of those who opposed them chose Labour Liberal Greens etc etc
So what would people think if all those Parties with Votes of 57% joined in a Pact before next GE and agreed to put only 1 Candidate in every Constituency v 1 Tory ?
Manifesto is a simple one. a) If we win we will treat it as a Mandate for Proportional Representation and introduce it immediately and b) once it is introduced we will dissolve Parliament / and dissolve the Pact with each Party returning to their own "identities" and will fight the next GE on PR basis (leaving only Belarus with a FPTP system)
Should produce a fairer result with any party getting say 43% getting 43% of the Seats etc
Lib Dems getting 11% of the Vote would get 11% of the Seats (66 Seats as against 7 is it ?)
It would take organising its true and the 57% might fight like cats in a sack but what would all those preaching democracy on here and elsewhere think. After all the "people" would have voted for it based totally on those 2 points only
Just asking for a friend

If the voting remained close to that above the Pact Party would form the next Government
So far so goodTidied up below
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 07:59:41 am by Donnywolf »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Democratic question
« Reply #1 on February 23, 2021, 04:52:11 pm by Donnywolf »
43% of those who Voted in GE in December chose Tory Party
57% of those who opposed them chose Labour Liberal Greens etc etc

So what would people think if all those Parties with Votes of 57% joined in a Pact before next GE and agreed to put only 1 Candidate in every Constituency v 1 Tory ?

Manifesto is a simple one. a) If we win we will treat it as a Mandate for Proportional Representation and introduce it immediately and b) once it is introduced we will dissolve Parliament / and dissolve the Pact with each Party returning to their own identities & will fight the next GE on PR basis (leaving only Belarus with a FPTP system)

Should produce a fairer result with any party getting say 43% getting 43% of the Seats etc

Lib Dems getting 11% of the Vote would get 11% of the Seats (66 Seats as against 7 is it ?) . Might tempt people to vote for them if they can see them getting a fairer share of the Seats - and stop people in Seats that never change hads saying no point voting - my chosen Party never wins here OR no point in Voting cos my chosen Party always wins here so I have no need to vote

It would take organising its true and the 57% Pact members might fight like cats in a sack but what would all those preaching democracy on here and elsewhere think. After all the people would have voted for it based totally on those 2 points only

Govt of the people by the people and FOR the people

Just asking for a friend

If the voting remained close to that above the Pact Party would (probably) form the next Government

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:02:29 pm by Donnywolf »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 23, 2021, 05:04:20 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I'm not sure the snp would agree...

How would this encourage local representation? It just doesn't work does it?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 23, 2021, 06:14:59 pm by Donnywolf »
SNP imo would join forces and expect a Referendum on Independence as a reward. Its what has happened through time (horse trading - think DUP when Teresa May gave them pots of money for their 10 votes)

People are genuinely talking about this as a way of getting PR done and local interests would not matter in the very short term - as the Pact Party would make it clear that they would dissolve themselves back into their "real selves" at the earliest opportunity' Once they did that MPs would represent the 4 or 5 Parties as they always have

I only asked though to see what potential voters thought of all the other Parties winning power through what would imo be a democratic way ?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:03:25 am by Donnywolf »

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 24, 2021, 08:34:57 am by Hounslowrover »
I don’t think the SNP would want a pact for PR, it serves their interests to have a Conservative government as it provides them with an easy target for all Scotland’s problems.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 24, 2021, 11:28:39 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Absolutely Hounslow.

There is a blind spot among many on the Left on this issue. They think the SNP can be part of some lovely left wing "we all want the same thing" agreement. When as you say, it is in the SNP's interests always to have a Tory Govt in Westminster because Scotland is so anti-Tory.

Think back to 2015. Cameron and Sturgeon tag-teamed Miliband. Cameron kept on with the mantra that if you didn't vote for him, you'd have a Miliband-Sturgeon Govt. Then Sturgeon would immediately jump up and say "Yes, we are open to that." Polling shows that hammered Labour's support in many English seats and paved the way for Cameron's win. Which suited both Cameron and Sturgeon.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 24, 2021, 01:22:56 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Absolutely Hounslow.

There is a blind spot among many on the Left on this issue. They think the SNP can be part of some lovely left wing "we all want the same thing" agreement. When as you say, it is in the SNP's interests always to have a Tory Govt in Westminster because Scotland is so anti-Tory.

Think back to 2015. Cameron and Sturgeon tag-teamed Miliband. Cameron kept on with the mantra that if you didn't vote for him, you'd have a Miliband-Sturgeon Govt. Then Sturgeon would immediately jump up and say "Yes, we are open to that." Polling shows that hammered Labour's support in many English seats and paved the way for Cameron's win. Which suited both Cameron and Sturgeon.

It's interesting that the SNP in Scotland though has almost become cult like.  Could you imagine the outcry in England on here if it was our government acting as they are right now?  Yet still many back them whatever up there.  THey've built a narrative to create a divide against England so much that they can actually do whatever they want on other issues.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 24, 2021, 01:46:49 pm by selby »
  They have failed on health, the economy, and education, they can only talk about one thing to attract support and there is no credible opposition.
  The Tories have always been cast as the bogey men up there, and the Liberals and Labour parties are 10 years further down the track of obscurity than they are in England, although they are both doing a good job of catching up in England.
  Add the changes in the South East of England to the constituency boundaries that will favour the Tories by up to another 20 seats before the next general election and I would say you have more chance of seeing rocking horse s**t in our lifetimes than seeing a PR voting system.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:54:39 pm by selby »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 24, 2021, 02:40:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
"Could you imagine the outcry in England on here if it was our government acting as they are right now?  Yet still many back them"

Ahem...

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 25, 2021, 05:27:46 am by Donnywolf »
To answer myself

I would think it would be morally ok for all opposition parties to get together and introduce PR for one thing and take charge of the Country

It would be democratic in my opinion - as the people would be lobbied - put in the picture (call it what you will)

They would know before casting votes what the outcome of a win for a Party of National Opposition would produce

It would be done without force or bloodshed as used to happen in lots of Countries and as we have seen lately still does in some

As a Serf I would vote for such a Party

TinyPortal © 2005-2012