Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:26:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Controversial  (Read 2158 times)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Controversial
« on February 25, 2021, 11:25:48 pm by RobTheRover »
No, not that other thing. This thing.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/supercomputer-predicts-final-2020-21-league-one-table/

I think it was done on a ZX81

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Drover

• Forum Member
Re: Controversial
« Reply #1 on February 25, 2021, 11:44:25 pm by Drover »
Commodore VIC 20 or even an abacus?
If a super computer was accurate,the bookies would be out of business LOL
Then again I'm biased  :)

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 25, 2021, 11:54:03 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Think it needs turning off and on again. The things bloody b*llocksed.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 26, 2021, 12:23:47 am by godlike1 »
Im sure I'll be knocked down for being negative but other than Ipswich I'd say that table top 6 does seem highly plausible. We need to get back to our best ASAP. Admittedly plenty of time to get 10 or 11 wins in the last 20 games but as we saw when relegated last time, the games disappeared very quickly. To get in the top 2 I'd suggest we need 13 or 14 wins to get past the 90 point mark. A bloody tough ask

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 26, 2021, 02:09:24 am by PDX_Rover »
Lincoln will not finish top.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 26, 2021, 09:43:53 am by idler »
How can you have Hull currently as 1st with 53 points and then directly above have Lincoln 1st on 57 points?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 26, 2021, 09:59:03 am by DRNaith »
No, not that other thing. This thing.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/supercomputer-predicts-final-2020-21-league-one-table/

I think it was done on a ZX81

At least this is more plausible!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 26, 2021, 10:21:53 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Doncaster "currently sit 6th in the League One standings, gaining just 49 points with 27 games played."

They reckon our run-in results will be
P19 W6 D8 L5

1.37 PPG compared to our season to date record of 1.81PPG.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 26, 2021, 10:31:12 am by Filo »
When I was a kid, and there were only 3 channels on TV and my parents watched the shite on them, I used to get the team tabs that you got with Shoot magazine for the league tables, put them in a dish and then draw them out FA Cup style, then used a dice to create the results, until I got to a winner. I think that prediction has come from a similar method

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 26, 2021, 10:35:03 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Supercomputer my arse!

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 26, 2021, 11:04:01 am by Dutch Uncle »
I think the prediction is one of those based on lower teams almost never 'surprising' higher teams, and this leads to higher numbers of points for top teams and lower than normal for lower teams.

It is most noticeable at the bottom end where Swindon are predicted to finish 18th position with 38 points. Since 3 points per win were adopted, for Tier 3 the lowest number of points ever to survive relegation is 45, and that was of course in 20th place. 

At the top the highest number of points not to reach 6th place is 80, and Oxford in 7th have been given 79. The average number of points for 6th position is 74 and Accrington are predicted to finish 10th place with 74.

Also there is a totally non credible gap of 17 points between 18th Swindon (38 points) and 17th place Gillingham with 55. This just shows how few points the bottom 7 are predicted to take from anyone except themselves.

I give little credibility to the thought processes behind the computer algorithms and program. Not stochastic at all.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 26, 2021, 11:13:54 am by Bentley Bullet »
A computer can only base forecasts on the past and present, it can't predict luck, form, opposition form, injuries, suspensions, incompetent officials, etc.

It's based on pure conjecture and would be worth millions to punters if it had any credibility.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 26, 2021, 12:04:23 pm by idler »
They would have been better borrowing your crystal ball BB.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 26, 2021, 02:12:46 pm by RoversAlias »
That photo of the Keepmoat they've used looks awfully familiar...almost as if "Fan Banter" have just nicked it straight off ITEN's website...

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 26, 2021, 03:09:04 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
That photo of the Keepmoat they've used looks awfully familiar...almost as if "Fan Banter" have just nicked it straight off ITEN's website...

Report them for plagiarism. Thieving bas**rds.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 26, 2021, 04:51:21 pm by RoversAlias »

Report them for plagiarism. Thieving bas**rds.

They have been sent notification to take it down. Websites have to be very careful what they use for photos due to various copyright laws, which is why I use images entirely belonging to myself or my partner (who is our primary photographer) and many sites use stock photos that are made available for free use.

No doubt they just take photos off Google Images which is lazy, but is something many people don't realise isn't strictly legal. For a website professing to have over a million monthly visitors though, you'd think they'd be more on the ball with this stuff.

Back to the topic at hand, if computers could tell us who was going to win every season I don't suppose there'd be much point in us all playing! Thousands of variables go into every single football match outcome which to me is one of the great things about it as a sport.

TheDonnyPop

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 26, 2021, 05:32:56 pm by TheDonnyPop »
Why didnt you just ask to link to your blog. Could increase traffic.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 26, 2021, 06:37:42 pm by scawsby steve »
Genuine question. I've done quite a lot of grounds throughout the country, but have never done either of the Bristol grounds. The photo on here of the Bristol Rovers ground( MEM) clearly shows some floodlights near by. Is this Ashton Gate, or the Gloustershire cricket ground?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 26, 2021, 07:18:44 pm by RoversAlias »

We have a set-out content plan and marketing strategy to drive traffic that involves a lot of networking with similar sites and like-minded content creators. Any site that just nicks photos off Google or other sites is not one that I'd like to work with, it isn't like we're desperate for views and the EFL fan community is not generally like that. One of the key selling points of ITEN is that it isn't full of adverts or clickbait and doesn't just churn stuff out for the sake of getting attention.

Anyway, this aside has taken up far too much space in a thread about something else already so I'll leave it there.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 26, 2021, 07:50:12 pm by EasyforDennis »

We have a set-out content plan and marketing strategy to drive traffic that involves a lot of networking with similar sites and like-minded content creators. Any site that just nicks photos off Google or other sites is not one that I'd like to work with, it isn't like we're desperate for views and the EFL fan community is not generally like that. One of the key selling points of ITEN is that it isn't full of adverts or clickbait and doesn't just churn stuff out for the sake of getting attention.

Anyway, this aside has taken up far too much space in a thread about something else already so I'll leave it there.

not like some fans forums then  :chair: :chair:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012