Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:37:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Facebook gripe -  (Read 2653 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Facebook gripe -
« on February 26, 2021, 06:46:33 am by Donnywolf »
I am plagued by "Suggested for you" posts and I am sick of "permanently delete ...(whoever it is) " time and again
I search and have followed Google and Facebook and other advice on how to stop "suggested for you" pages and none have worked.

Just wondered if anyone has / had the same trouble and whether they have  fix that works and will stay active.
Cheers DW

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Facebook gripe -
« Reply #1 on February 26, 2021, 07:26:25 am by SydneyRover »
Never used it myself wolfie but every electronic device I own I try to give the least amount of my information as possible.

Here's a guide for fb not if if it will reduce the amount of pestering or not.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17140422/facebook-personal-data-deletion-how-to-cambridge-analytica-privacy-scandal-trump-campaign

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 26, 2021, 07:37:23 am by Donnywolf »
Thanks SR I will read that and try it if I find a useful tip / hint on there

I think I have almost nothing on there - and only in fact 1 friend who somehow managed to get through my defences. I refuse all Friend requests and use it just for "news" and topics I am interested in - and in fact dont even use the names everyone calls me in my quest for anonimity

Will let you know if your article works - cheers DW
ps - I have followed most of that and tbf I had most stuff set "in my favour". I have opted out of a few things and even "unfriended" a random bloke who I have to say takes brilliant photos of Birds and the Milky Way which I will still see as he is in a Group I watch
Cheers for that. If it doesnt work I will either just have to ignore the incessant "suggestions for you" or simply delete my Account entirely (no great loss)
Cheers again
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 08:07:24 am by Donnywolf »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 26, 2021, 08:04:21 am by pib »
Is it ads you’re seeing DW? I presume it is.

If so, no way to avoid them really (unless there is some kind of ad blocking programme out there)

Companies pay to put ads on there and it’s how Facebook makes its revenue and provides a “free” platform.

Taking all your personal info off there won’t reduce how many ads you get, but will make them less targeted and less “relevant” to you.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 26, 2021, 08:10:37 am by Donnywolf »
Hi PIB - No its things in my Timeline called "Suggested for you" and are usually videos of Foxes or bears with buckets on their heads or heads in stuck in fences

Also get "suggested for you" from BBC West Country or Swansea FC or Millwall FC etc - and I click on the 3 dots and press "Block - whoever it is" permanently

None of the supposed fixes to date have worked

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 26, 2021, 08:12:13 am by SydneyRover »
what no wolves?

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 26, 2021, 08:30:31 am by keyser_soze »
Its because you're not doing Facebook properly, it is designed for you to share content with as many people as possible = social media.

The system is going into overdrive trying to get you to use it properly, add your friends (and even people who aren't your friends) and share content with them, more clicks, longer on the site/app = $$$

Have you tried Twitter DonnyWolf? That might be more your bag and suit your purposes? Its a bit more of an anonymous tailored news feed.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 26, 2021, 08:55:39 am by Donnywolf »
Yes good point - I suppose they would want me to interact but I have hung in under the radar - using a name nobody ever calls me - just to use is it as a newspaper

Over on Twitter I use my normal name and have been there years - and it is slightly different to Facebook and I enjoy using it. Again I initially used it as a Newspaper especially for local news but spread my wings a bit and have 63 followers (whoooooo - game show noise)

Most of my posts are political or Rovers and I sometimes get enraged at something and thump the keys for a minute of so then go back to make it short enough to post and let it go before realising hardly any people will ever see it LOL

I almost always open Twitter before Facebook lately and probably Facebook has dad its day (for me at least)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 26, 2021, 09:57:11 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Had a gut feeling that something wasn't right about FB from the off and I've never used it. It is evolving into an existential threat to humanity. Like KS says, it's one and only purpose is to get you to engage with it. That is the business model and their algorithms will move heaven and earth to entice people in and keep them there. At best that then becomes a drug. At worst (because the algorithms have no moral filter) it acts to turbocharge hate groups because the algorithms just keep feeding them what they want to hear, unfiltered. So you get FB groups feeding on rapidly propagated disinformation, leading directly to social fractures and violence like in Ethiopia and Myanmar.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-50276603

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-46105934

This is an enabler of evil and FB has basically no interest in sorting it out because its business model relies on it. A perfect example of how little Zuckerberg cares is that the person he has installed as the front of house man to tell the world how serious FB is about doing the right thing is none other than Nick f**king Clegg, who wouldn't know a principle if it kicked him in the knackers.

Sooner or later, governments worldwide are going to have to break up FB and bring it under some sort of democratic control. Meantime, it is a menace.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 26, 2021, 10:07:07 am by Bentley Bullet »
 Twitter is also being used to manipulate public opinion.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 26, 2021, 10:13:06 am by idler »
Being an exile I'm a member of the Oswin Ave. tribute group, Memories of Doncaster and Looking back at Doncaster. I find them very useful and interesting putting me back in contact with one or two old friends. I don't like how they are always trying to match you with people that you might know etc. and it's amazing how many bots there are on some of the more political threads, especially on the Twitter links. I have had two friends with accounts hacked over the last week or so though.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 26, 2021, 10:28:06 am by Bentley Bullet »
The thing is, you don't have to use Facebook or Twitter to read their propaganda. Other media outlets including forums such as this one often show links from them in order to spread it.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 26, 2021, 10:36:39 am by Filo »
The thing is, you don't have to use Facebook or Twitter to read their propaganda. Other media outlets including forums such as this one often show links from them in order to spread it.

I see your last two posts on this thread are you casting the bait out hoping for a bite, probably from a certain poster, and you claim not to be a WUM?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 26, 2021, 10:38:23 am by Bentley Bullet »
And that certain poster wasn't doing EXACTLY the same thing?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 26, 2021, 10:39:39 am by Donnywolf »
Being an exile I'm a member of the Oswin Ave. tribute group, Memories of Doncaster and Looking back at Doncaster. I find them very useful and interesting putting me back in contact with one or two old friends. I don't like how they are always trying to match you with people that you might know etc. and it's amazing how many bots there are on some of the more political threads, especially on the Twitter links. I have had two friends with accounts hacked over the last week or so though.

Is that the one that has Alonzo as one of its "main men" or should that be main person these days lol

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 26, 2021, 10:45:05 am by Bentley Bullet »
I'm not sure that suggesting people you might know is anything sinister. It not as though they're recruiting people because they are already members.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 26, 2021, 10:46:48 am by Filo »
And that certain poster wasn't doing EXACTLY the same thing?

It’s good to see you admitting to being a WUM in respect of a certain poster

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 26, 2021, 10:53:52 am by Bentley Bullet »
The only thing there is to see clearly here is that you are trying to shit stir.

BST and I will probably never see eye to eye on most things, but I replied to the content of the post, not because of who wrote it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 26, 2021, 11:00:59 am by Bentley Bullet »
Was/is Oswin Avenue in Balby, Idler? Are you a Balbarian?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 26, 2021, 11:08:16 am by Filo »
The only thing there is to see clearly here is that you are trying to shit stir.

BST and I will probably never see eye to eye on most things, but I replied to the content of the post, not because of who wrote it.

It’s good that you acknowledge the poster you are trying to bait by naming the poster, how on earth did you come to the conclusion that was the poster in question?

Has your account been hacked?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 26, 2021, 11:08:45 am by SydneyRover »

You're a funny guy bb  :)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 26, 2021, 11:18:12 am by Bentley Bullet »

It’s good that you acknowledge the poster you are trying to bait by naming the poster, how on earth did you come to the conclusion that was the poster in question?

A big giveaway is the fact that you spend most of your life on here in worship of him!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 26, 2021, 11:38:48 am by Filo »

A big giveaway is the fact that you spend most of your life on here in worship of him!

I’m not sure I’ve ever professed to worshipping him, in fact we disagree on many things, it would appear you have an unhealthy obsession with him, especially after naming him without any prompting to do so, have non of the members of your clique opened their internal PM’s to come and pile in yet? It happens, I’ve Pm from one of them wanting back up when having a hard time, pathetic really

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 26, 2021, 12:21:52 pm by idler »
I think that Tom is Memories of Doncaster. The other is  Doncaster back in time. Both brilliant for photos. There is a Hexthorpe one as well that I joined as well. That has photos of the plant and trains fairly regular too.

Is that the one that has Alonzo as one of its "main men" or should that be main person these days lol

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 26, 2021, 12:25:50 pm by idler »
Yes BB, Balby from birth 1948 until I got married and moved to Sprotborough in 1972. Left Donny and moved over here in 1978.
Oswin Ave. later Balby High School was near the Windsor Cinema. A great school when I was there 1960-64.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 26, 2021, 01:36:13 pm by albie »
If you must use Facebook, understand that it is a spying network that gathers personal information to sell on.

Never give any personal information to FB, and always use identity protection.
Tor browser does not allow geolocation, and is based upon a security hardened version of Firefox (ESR version).

Because geolocation is disabled, do not use Tor for banking or the like because it could cause their security to alert.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 26, 2021, 02:10:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Yes BB, Balby from birth 1948 until I got married and moved to Sprotborough in 1972. Left Donny and moved over here in 1978.
Oswin Ave. later Balby High School was near the Windsor Cinema. A great school when I was there 1960-64.

I was at St Francis junior school, Roberts Road, on Balby Bridge around that time. I followed Kevin Keegan there. He left the year I joined.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 26, 2021, 02:12:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I was at St Francis junior school, Roberts Road, on Balby Bridge around that time. I followed Kevin Keegan there. He left the year I joined.
I don't blame him.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 26, 2021, 02:16:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »
He didn't like not being the best Footballer!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 26, 2021, 02:17:00 pm by Bentley Bullet »

I’m not sure I’ve ever professed to worshipping him, in fact we disagree on many things, it would appear you have an unhealthy obsession with him, especially after naming him without any prompting to do so, have non of the members of your clique opened their internal PM’s to come and pile in yet? It happens, I’ve Pm from one of them wanting back up when having a hard time, pathetic really
You're professing worship now, sadly at the expense of another thread. No matter who had written that post, I'd have responded exactly the same way. I was merely stating a fact. Inevitably, as soon as I saw your name on the post below I knew it would be to defend your lord and master before even reading it, and of course, it was! It's getting so regular of late that I actually think you're stalking my posts in the hope that I'm blaspheming your leader, in order to be the first to defend him. Is it in an attempt to become top disciple?  In fact, it's worse than that, your saying I am blaspheming him even when I'm not!

I asked you the other day to do some research and find out who exactly is the one with the unhealthy obsession before jumping to a conclusion that supports your leader, but you didn't did you?

I don't receive PM's regarding threads, probably because I don't belong to a clique. Do you find belonging to one helpful? Perhaps I ought to start one.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012