Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:06:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Fergie-esque run  (Read 4071 times)

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
Re: Fergie-esque run
« Reply #30 on February 27, 2021, 09:33:14 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Does start to feel like we'll be finishing around where we were last season (probably a bit of an overreaction still lots to play for) which makes me think maybe we've hit the limit of what relying on loans can achieve. In McCann's season we had two exceptional loanees which we can't hope to get every season.
we did have 2 great loanees in Wilks and Kane but then we also had others that weren’t great (Lewis, Smith and downing although he was decent that season but wouldn’t get in this side atm). The player we miss most from that side I think is Tommy Rowe cos he was a leader in the middle which worked well next to Kane. That’s not to mention he liked the odd screamer.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 27, 2021, 09:37:56 pm by NickDRFC »
Does start to feel like we'll be finishing around where we were last season (probably a bit of an overreaction still lots to play for) which makes me think maybe we've hit the limit of what relying on loans can achieve. In McCann's season we had two exceptional loanees which we can't hope to get every season.
we did have 2 great loanees in Wilks and Kane but then we also had others that weren’t great (Lewis, Smith and downing although he was decent that season but wouldn’t get in this side atm). The player we miss most from that side I think is Tommy Rowe cos he was a leader in the middle which worked well next to Kane. That’s not to mention he liked the odd screamer.

Unless my memory is completely playing tricks with me, Tommy Rowe was really in and out of the team that year. Can’t really remember if it was injury, form or that McCann didn’t really fancy him but I reckon he started less than half the league games, and I don’t really remember him having a partnership with Kane.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 27, 2021, 09:53:28 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

Unless my memory is completely playing tricks with me, Tommy Rowe was really in and out of the team that year. Can’t really remember if it was injury, form or that McCann didn’t really fancy him but I reckon he started less than half the league games, and I don’t really remember him having a partnership with Kane.
he started off the season well with him then got injured for a couple of months I think but most of the time he was fit he played alongside kane and whiteman

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 27, 2021, 09:59:45 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
If we’re going to pick one player we miss from that side it’s Marquis. Rowe wasn’t 1st choice a lot of the time.

Agree on the less good loanees we had which really is the point I was making I.e. ones as good as Kane/Wilks will be very rare

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 27, 2021, 10:07:23 pm by scawsby steve »

he started off the season well with him then got injured for a couple of months I think but most of the time he was fit he played alongside kane and whiteman

What a goal he scored at Charlton from Kane's flick, and what a bloody good team that was.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on February 27, 2021, 10:15:06 pm by dickos1 »
Swap Wilks for okenabirhie and this side is better than that one

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 27, 2021, 10:15:24 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
If we’re going to pick one player we miss from that side it’s Marquis. Rowe wasn’t 1st choice a lot of the time.

Agree on the less good loanees we had which really is the point I was making I.e. ones as good as Kane/Wilks will be very rare
I agree Marquis is a big miss because of his work rate as well as his finishing but atm even Marquis would struggle to score goals with us because we aren’t creating enough for him 

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 27, 2021, 10:16:40 pm by dickos1 »
Other than the fleetwood game I think we’ve created plenty during this poor run

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 27, 2021, 10:23:22 pm by scawsby steve »

If we finish above 6th, or get to Wembley, I'll agree with you. At the moment, it's a big no from me.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 27, 2021, 11:08:11 pm by Draytonian III »
Compared to recent games I thought we were much improved today. Frustrating that we didn't get a result but Ipswich are no mugs.

Totally agree mate

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on February 27, 2021, 11:58:42 pm by dickos1 »

If we finish above 6th, or get to Wembley, I'll agree with you. At the moment, it's a big no from me.
So if we move up one place in the table you’ll go from saying it’s a big no to agreeing? Just because we’ve moved up one place in the table?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 28, 2021, 01:16:44 am by BobG »
It's the boards fault. We were doing just fine until Jan transfer window. They just had to make funds available didn't they for new players. Disgraceful

Well I liked it Padge. Very clever. Made me giggle.

BobG

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 28, 2021, 09:10:52 am by colincramb »
I think a few of us had our doubts about the team during the winning run we went on. If we’re being honest, we got away with it more than a few times in those 9 odd games. We are now playing better sides who are more clinical than the Swindon’s and burtons that we played in our run.

Is it any coincidence that our form has nose dived now we are playing the teams in and around us? I don’t think it is.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on February 28, 2021, 09:56:56 am by Filo »
I think a few of us had our doubts about the team during the winning run we went on. If we’re being honest, we got away with it more than a few times in those 9 odd games. We are now playing better sides who are more clinical than the Swindon’s and burtons that we played in our run.

Is it any coincidence that our form has nose dived now we are playing the teams in and around us? I don’t think it is.

We beat Ipswich earlier in the season, we got a draw with Sunderland, and we lost to hull, all teams that were above us at the time

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on February 28, 2021, 11:01:31 am by dickos1 »
We’ve also beat Lincoln twice, Portsmouth away, charlton away, Blackpool at home,
Our record against teams in the top ten is better than most if not all in the division

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 28, 2021, 11:12:27 am by RedRover »
It's the boards fault. We were doing just fine until Jan transfer window. They just had to make funds available didn't they for new players. Disgraceful

f**k sake. Shut up.

I think that may well be a whoosh moment.

Probably doesn't get that either...

Maybe but what would you prefer a reply like that or someone agreeing with what you've put?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 06:45:08 pm by RedRover »

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 28, 2021, 12:20:04 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Whiteman and Kane most that season. Best pairing since Stock and Wellens.

Coppinger playing every game and influencing them and as you say Marquis and Wilks.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 28, 2021, 12:43:54 pm by Barmby Rover »
Ok let's see how this was a terrible performance. Possession Donny 74% Ipswich 26% ("we can't hold on to the ball") Shots 17 to Rovers 10 to Ipswich, on target 7 to Rovers 5 to Ipswich ("our forwards can't shoot") It appears that our forwards put quite a few shots on target (and hit a post which doesn't count), our midfield dominated with the ball as the home side struggled to hold on to it. We had one goal from a very good quality free kick from a seasoned professional (deja vu from last week) and another from a goal scramble. Had just a bit of luck gone our way then we would have got at least a draw. To quote the BBC "However, despite concerted pressure from Doncaster in the closing stages, the visitors could not find a second goal as Ipswich held on to their slim lead." Holding on to a slim lead doesn't sound like a team that has been thrashed, but our nay-sayers would have you believe that the team is completely outclassed in this league. Give it time, Portsmouth could be in for a rough time on Tuesday, no doubt if we win that then the same folks will be putting us in with a chance of qualifying for Europe. Hey ho.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 28, 2021, 02:18:47 pm by EasyforDennis »
I dont think anyone is saying we have been either outclassed or terrible.

The teams in the automatic and play off places all have a goal scoring striker. We don't!!

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on February 28, 2021, 05:28:28 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I don’t think we should be panicking anymore than we should’ve got carried away a month ago.
There’s 18 games left to play, and we’re 8 points of the autos with 2 games in hand.
We’ve had a few bad results and performances but the 2nd half against hull and for most of today we were good and could’ve easily scored 2 or 3 more than we did.

When we saw the fixtures of these ten games people were saying they would be happy with 12 points, so far we have 7 with 3 games to go so those 12 points are still very achievable
I like that  :thumbsup: Amazing what a positive attitude can achieve.
Crikey it’s all doom and gloom on here. 

I really don't understand your comment, Campsall.  Apart from putting a smile on your face, what exactly did Dickos' positive attitude actually achieve?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 28, 2021, 07:52:02 pm by Campsall rover »
I don’t think we should be panicking anymore than we should’ve got carried away a month ago.
There’s 18 games left to play, and we’re 8 points of the autos with 2 games in hand.
We’ve had a few bad results and performances but the 2nd half against hull and for most of today we were good and could’ve easily scored 2 or 3 more than we did.

When we saw the fixtures of these ten games people were saying they would be happy with 12 points, so far we have 7 with 3 games to go so those 12 points are still very achievable
I like that  :thumbsup: Amazing what a positive attitude can achieve.
Crikey it’s all doom and gloom on here. 

I really don't understand your comment, Campsall.  Apart from putting a smile on your face, what exactly did Dickos' positive attitude actually achieve?
Sorry what do you mean “what did it achieve”
It’s surprising what positivity achieves. It achieves success more often than not.

Let’s all be miserable then shall we and just look at the negatives. Recipe for failure 100%

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 28, 2021, 08:18:50 pm by Campsall rover »
Ok let's see how this was a terrible performance. Possession Donny 74% Ipswich 26% ("we can't hold on to the ball") Shots 17 to Rovers 10 to Ipswich, on target 7 to Rovers 5 to Ipswich ("our forwards can't shoot") It appears that our forwards put quite a few shots on target (and hit a post which doesn't count), our midfield dominated with the ball as the home side struggled to hold on to it. We had one goal from a very good quality free kick from a seasoned professional (deja vu from last week) and another from a goal scramble. Had just a bit of luck gone our way then we would have got at least a draw. To quote the BBC "However, despite concerted pressure from Doncaster in the closing stages, the visitors could not find a second goal as Ipswich held on to their slim lead." Holding on to a slim lead doesn't sound like a team that has been thrashed, but our nay-sayers would have you believe that the team is completely outclassed in this league. Give it time, Portsmouth could be in for a rough time on Tuesday, no doubt if we win that then the same folks will be putting us in with a chance of qualifying for Europe. Hey ho.
We were way superior to Ipswich for 75% of the game. The only thing that counts unfortunately is the score line. If we and played rubbish yesterday and won we would be world beaters. That’s football supporters.
The blinkers are on.

You are quite right though if that was a rubbish performance from us I would be worried if I was an Ipswich fan because they were very poor.
We were simply too narrow and didn’t use our wide players and full backs effectively. In that respect we were poor yes. We could and should have won that game comfortably as we did in the home game.

We move on. Beware Pompey if we get out A game going you are in for a hell of a beating.

It’ll come we have the talent and ability we just now need the positive mind set, the belief and who knows what we can achieve this season. I suspect a great deal. But it’ll be what it’ll be.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 28, 2021, 09:21:00 pm by scawsby steve »

So if we move up one place in the table you’ll go from saying it’s a big no to agreeing? Just because we’ve moved up one place in the table?

Of course, because it's a results business, and I'd have no grounds to argue. As it is at the moment, I just don't think we've got the big players in the side that we had then, the players that I mentioned in the OP.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on March 01, 2021, 09:44:27 am by Barmby Rover »

The teams in the automatic and play off places all have a goal scoring striker. We don't!!
We have scored 4 goals in the last 2 games. Not too bad.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on March 01, 2021, 09:58:56 am by vaya »

We have scored 4 goals in the last 2 games. Not too bad.

We've the same number of goals as second-placed Lincoln, having played fewer games.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012