Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:49:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Darren Moore - gone!  (Read 24556 times)

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
Re: Darren Moore - gone!
« Reply #240 on March 01, 2021, 03:00:32 pm by Bessie Red »
Silent Majority stated that this has been a big distraction behind the scenes which by implication suggests it has been going on a while. However reports are stating that they only made their official approach to speak to him on Friday. Is SM able to elaborate as it would be strangely comforting if we could lay our recent poor form squarely at the door of this issue rumbling on behind the scenes!  As that issue has now resolved itself we would hopefully be able to rediscover our mojo you would hope.
The players only found out at training this morning so I doubt it would have been going on before Saturday!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #241 on March 01, 2021, 03:08:00 pm by Bessie Red »
https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2021/march/butler-appointed-manager-until-the-end-of-the-season/

Andy Butler takes over.

Martin - anything else you can tell us at this time?

Well, let me say I'm glad he's gone. It's been a complete distraction.

We have been adequately compensated and AB was always the contingency plan, which shows we were prepared if something like this did happen.

Has this affected recent performances then do you think?
Who knows. It’s possible.
It wont have done as the players only found out today at training & that's from a member of the first team squad.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #242 on March 01, 2021, 03:13:09 pm by MachoMadness »
Wow. Didn’t expect this, although dare I say there were signs beneath the surface. If you read between the lines of the tone of the VSC Twitter account and the tone of certain posters on here over the course of time then you can, in my opinion, draw conclusions around tensions that may be bubbling. Subtle digs / shifting of credit to Adam Henshall for success has been evident for a while.

Don’t want to get drawn into a slanging match but...

Darren Moore and Grant McCann. Two very different characters. Both jumped ship very quickly to a bigger club in turmoil.

If I was on the DRFC Board I’d at least want to have a look inwardly at the reasons why, and what we can learn. Have we just been unlucky? Maybe. Are we getting everything right? Some people will tell you yes, but probably not.

I think you're reading far too much into this. The VSC twitter account is handled by a couple of people, not me I hasten to add, and there is no discussion about what they can tweet about. Absolutely none.

As for the credit that Adam Henshall has been getting from people like me then that's only because he deserves that. He's been the one doing all the hard work on the recruitment front and yet supporters kept praising DM, I was just telling it as it is. When chatting about recruitment with the club it was Adam's name that always cropped up, not Darren's.

I understand if you don't want to answer SM but are you disappointed he has gone? In a playing sense that is.

No I'm not. The trouble with laid back managers is that the players, or maybe I should say certain players, take advantage of that. GM and DM were chalk and cheese in  that respect.

Do you know if he spoke to the players before he effed off Martin?

From what I understand he hasn't spoke to anybody at the club.

Gavin spoke to the players this morning at Cantley park.

Poor.

Just seeing the quotes coming out now in the media from his first interview. It is clear he did not even blink with the decision.

His regard for us seems to be very low indeed.
I agree with this. I've tried not to get too personal about it but this is very poor from him. Can see why there's a lot of bad feeling towards him at the club, which was barely disguised in Blunt's statement.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #243 on March 01, 2021, 03:13:27 pm by wing commander »
   As if by miracle his old mate Paul Williams was at SW6 on the training pitch for his first day today... That was a quick appointment for his backroom staff to say this only happened late yesterday..

Barnie41

• Forum Member
« Reply #244 on March 01, 2021, 03:15:49 pm by Barnie41 »
Well, didn't see that move coming at all. Obviously I watch what happens at S6 and will be watching more closely now.
Hopefully Rovers will kick on again and use this as motivation to drive on to the end of the season.
I think he's really got his work cut out at Hillsborough. Rumours are rife over here as to how bad things are.
I wish him luck, but if you do what you need to (and can) you and our blue and white friends will be swapping leagues come May.

Good luck, let's have SUFC v DRFC derbies next season

⚽️⚔

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #245 on March 01, 2021, 03:15:55 pm by Lesonthewest »
If he signs any of our players out of contract then that’s an utter disgrace

If the club allowed that to happen,  I'd be done.

How exactly do you think they could stop it?

By sorting out new contracts I would have thought.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #246 on March 01, 2021, 03:16:03 pm by Avsuptem »
An extraordinary and appalling turn of events even by the diminished integrity standard of English football. The players have put their faith in DM and now Andy Butler has the daunting task of trying to rebuild team morale.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #247 on March 01, 2021, 03:18:15 pm by ravenrover »
Feel more sorry for the board and owners

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #248 on March 01, 2021, 03:19:21 pm by Superspy »

I thought that might be the implication, but it's not like the club can force a player to sign a new contract. If a player wants to run his contract down and move to SW on a free there's literally nothing "the club" can do about it.

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
« Reply #249 on March 01, 2021, 03:27:37 pm by Michael Gibson »
These rolling contracts are a joke.... it’s obvious we get good managers and lose them as soon as we get going..... sorry but the board carry the can on this, they didn’t learn after McCann and now this....

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #250 on March 01, 2021, 03:29:40 pm by pib »
These rolling contracts are a joke.... it’s obvious we get good managers and lose them as soon as we get going..... sorry but the board carry the can on this, they didn’t learn after McCann and now this....

I don't really understand how it's the rolling contract that is the issue? Surely a contract with a constantly renewing expiration date gives the club more security than one that has a finite end date and allows the manager to run it down?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #251 on March 01, 2021, 03:32:06 pm by Lesonthewest »

I thought that might be the implication, but it's not like the club can force a player to sign a new contract. If a player wants to run his contract down and move to SW on a free there's literally nothing "the club" can do about it.
Yes I know, but they can be proactive & try, & I'm not suggesting for one minute they won't. If then the player refuses then fine.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #252 on March 01, 2021, 03:35:53 pm by Bollinger »

Or we could, Ipswich Town style, hand out a 4 year contract to tie the manager in and then have to get shut 6 months later when the penny drops that you’re drifting sideways with no prospect of the situation changing anytime soon.

I don’t see the rolling contract as being the root of all evil. Dean Saunders was on a three 3 deal and he still sodded off at the earliest opportunity.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #253 on March 01, 2021, 03:38:06 pm by wilts rover »

Why, don't managers on a fixed term contract move then?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #254 on March 01, 2021, 03:41:08 pm by wilts rover »
Very disappointing - but then again to the people who have for the last few weeks been questioning the judgement of a bloke who has jsut taken the managers job at Wednesday - maybe you had a point.

Good luck Butts, hope you acn do enough in the next few weeks to get the job permanently. At least we know you are committed to Rovers.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #255 on March 01, 2021, 03:41:21 pm by Spud »
Thinking from DM's CV point of view; seen to have done a good job for us, in a good position for promotion, no need to actually see the job through. Wednesday can't get much worse, he can only improve them in all probability, & even then they're expected to be relegated anyway. Then they're the biggest fish in league one, shouldn't be out of the question to gain a promotion.
In the meantime, big pay rise.

McCann history repeating, as shocked I am, we should all know better.

Let's hope everyone gets behind Butts, this could be a change we actually needed.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #256 on March 01, 2021, 03:44:16 pm by idler »
There’s no guarantee that they will stick with DM if relegated though judging by previous strategy.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #257 on March 01, 2021, 03:53:07 pm by Metalmicky »
DM has a job on at Wednesday.  Just seen that after Rotherham on Wednesday the play Reading followed by Norwich and then have two derbies against Hudders and Barnsley....  I would love it if we swapped leagues.... would bloody love it.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #258 on March 01, 2021, 04:17:30 pm by jmt23 »
This is way worse than what Mcann did, a least we had some time to adapt - I get people feeling let down, and questioning his moral compass, but why swallow the rhetoric - it is false, and always will be from players to managers. If a bigger job comes form a bigger club, with more money, they go.

Its sad, and it beggars belief the club he has chosen to go too, given what is reported about them and the rediculous manager turnover. I hope he gets everything he deserves, he achieved nothing with us, we are no further forwards nor backwards.
:rtid:

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #259 on March 01, 2021, 04:21:15 pm by Pancho Regan »

It is a massive shame that we can’t be in the ground tomorrow to show AB our support.
I think the atmosphere would have been great.

My thoughts exactly hound.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #260 on March 01, 2021, 04:22:30 pm by Filo »
I’d like to hear Butlers thoughts, theres surely a pre match presser today

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #261 on March 01, 2021, 04:36:27 pm by 5minstogo »
   As if by miracle his old mate Paul Williams was at SW6 on the training pitch for his first day today... That was a quick appointment for his backroom staff to say this only happened late yesterday..

Hardest part is getting them over the line.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #262 on March 01, 2021, 04:39:41 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I’d like to hear Butlers thoughts, theres surely a pre match presser today

He has been doing some press stuff. Just seen he's retired from playing.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #263 on March 01, 2021, 04:40:34 pm by Filo »

Hardest part is getting them over the line.

Sheff Wed didn’t find getting him over the line hard, in fact he was there before they finished asking him

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #264 on March 01, 2021, 04:44:58 pm by Woodhead Passer »
It's written in the stars isn't it?

Doncaster Rovers v Hull City in the Play-off Final at Wembley. Andy Butler vs Grant McCann.

Coppinger scores the winner to take us up on his last ever professional game. Butler gets one over McCann after being shafted by him at the end of the 2018/19 season.

Whilst Darren Moore gets sacked by Sheffield Wednesday as he's unable to avoid relegation.

:thumbsup:

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #265 on March 01, 2021, 04:48:44 pm by Jonathan »
When players and managers leave it seems to spark an initial knee-jerk reaction amongst a club’s fanbase, which is understandable but some of it a little harsh. DM hasn’t suddenly become a bad manager, or a bad person, overnight. I’ll still hold him in high regard for everything he’s done for us on and off the pitch. He was always likely to be courted by a bigger club at some point. Much like McCann, he’s jumped at the first opportunity to go to a club in turmoil. It’s disappointing. I’d like to know why to some degree, but I can also understand it.

From a purely footballing perspective I think I miss Grant McCann more than I’ll miss Darren Moore. For me, the football we played under McCann has been bettered only by the very best times under O’Driscoll and Penney (in my lifetime). DM had us playing some nice stuff and getting some good results (at times) but it never fully took off in my opinion. Sometimes I was a bit bored watching us. I never felt that under McCann.

On the moral principle, I don’t see how we can lambast McCann and Moore for the nature of their departures, but not acknowledge the fact that Butler will immediately leave the Belles managerless. This is simply how the food chain works, isn’t it?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 05:03:43 pm by Jonathan »

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #266 on March 01, 2021, 04:50:38 pm by Fal »
Like others i am shocked and disappointed by the news and can only assume it has impacted our recent poor run of form in some way shape or form.

I think my concern as a fan from the outside it just looks like there is something not right within the club (especially since the comments that Dickov mentioned) that is making these managers want to leave at the first sniff of another job? Now obviously i read all comments from SM and that reassures me but it is definitely concerning regarding the current trend in managers.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #267 on March 01, 2021, 04:50:50 pm by Superspy »

From a purely footballing perspective I think I miss Grant McCann more than I’ll miss Darren Moore. For me, the football we played under McCann has been bettered only by the very best times under O’Driscoll and Penny (in my lifetime). DM had us playing some nice stuff and getting some good results (at times) but it never fully took off in my opinion. Sometimes I was a bit bored watching us. I never felt that under McCann.

I think you've just pretty much nailed why I feel so indifferent about DM leaving. I'm quite excited about the next match now.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #268 on March 01, 2021, 04:55:15 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Could Butler's first job be to beef up the defence by bringing in some of the Belles players?

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #269 on March 01, 2021, 05:03:57 pm by jmt23 »
I would actually play John just behind the midfield, and infant of the defence. Let them go wandering while John holds and break up play Makelele style.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012