Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:52:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Darren Moore - gone!  (Read 24529 times)

RedRover

• Forum Member
Re: Darren Moore - gone!
« Reply #300 on March 01, 2021, 07:29:22 pm by RedRover »
Looks like we completely misjudged his character then.

Whats all this "we" business, I questioned it and his man management way back.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #301 on March 01, 2021, 07:35:35 pm by Jonathan »
Pib.
If you're saying that McCann was a big improvement on Ferguson, I've no argument with you. My point was that he inherited an excellent group of players and was supported to add significantly to that (Wilks, Kane, Sadlier, Downing and others) but by the end of the season we were performing like a mid-table side.

When you talk about the considerable resource given to McCann, I can’t help but think you’re judging Kane and Wilks as the players they became rather than the ones that arrived. Kane had never played a game in senior football and was hardly a huge signing. Wilks was nowhere near the Leeds team and had just had a fairly inauspicious season at Accrington Stanley. Sadlier arrived from Ireland on a speculative 18 month deal. Downing, I’ll give you that he won’t have come cheap. But give McCann some credit. He got more out of the team and the individuals and did a fantastic job over the season, culminating in one of the best performances (and atmospheres) I’ve seen live at Charlton. By the end of the season we were performing like a play off team - that’s indisputable as that’s where we finished by the end of the season.

Even ahead of his departure he’d brought in Halliday and James who have turned out to be great signings. And Gomes has potential too. 

McCann did a top job here. Sadly Hull City and Sheffield Wednesday are far bigger clubs than us. Ask 100 established managers if they would rather manage Hull / SWFC or Doncaster then >90 would pick Hull / SWFC. The remaining 10% would be lacking confidence in their ability and not up to the job. The chance to have a go at a big club is bound to be tempting. The Belles’ manager has just walked out to take a short term chance at a bigger club. That’s football.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #302 on March 01, 2021, 07:36:13 pm by SydneyRover »
Getridorit - McCann went to Hull & Moore has gone to Wednesday. Both clubs struggling at the wrong end of the table and owned by fruitcakes but they are (were) both Championship clubs, much bigger than Rovers and potential to go far with a bit of stability, not to mention a huge uplift in salary. If they had both left to go to a Swindon or a Northampton I’d be concerned but both moves have been up a division football-wise and probably two or three divisions financially.

I would have thought you'd have to be a bit mad to own a football club in the first place, we are lucky we some of them looking after us.

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #303 on March 01, 2021, 07:41:28 pm by phil o sophical »
Shocked by this but not completely surprised by it. Darren’s done a super job with your club but it was probably obvious that a “bigger” club would come calling at some point and now one has. I don’t blame any manager for taking the opportunity to wake a sleeping giant and I believe Wednesday to be one of those and though it’s a sickener for fans it’s just what happens these days. Hopefully it won’t damage your promotion push and I can only wish you the best of luck.

I think when DM scratches the surface rather than a sleeping giant he'll find the giant is in a coma and has been for a while

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #304 on March 01, 2021, 07:49:33 pm by redandwhitearmy »
Massive mistake this I think, I’m almost desperate for us to pass them on the way up now.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #305 on March 01, 2021, 08:05:33 pm by pib »
Pib.
If you're saying that McCann was a big improvement on Ferguson, I've no argument with you. My point was that he inherited an excellent group of players and was supported to add significantly to that (Wilks, Kane, Sadlier, Downing and others) but by the end of the season we were performing like a mid-table side.

I’m saying that McCann did a really good job here, with (by all accounts) very similar resources to both his predecessor and his successor. That’s exactly what I said in my post so I’m not quite sure why it needs any further clarification.

If you don’t agree, then fair enough. In my view, each of the last three managers we’ve had have all had similar resources on paper, and McCann is the only one that has delivered a top 6 finish, and I believe that to be down to getting the best out of the players he had, using his highly driven personality to push them further, and by using his resources better.

I’m not sure why the backing he had should somehow detract from that, as I think each of the last 3 managers we’ve had (including Moore) have received similar support. What... because he used his resources better than the others he should be marked down? Ferguson used his resources to bring in Rodney Kongolo whereas McCann used his to bring in Kane, for example. Isn’t that part of what management is about? Not quite sure why, in your logic, that is a reason why McCann WASN’T a success.

Our form over the last 20 games might have been mid-table form, but he got us to the playoffs and the 5th round of the cup over the course of a season. I’m not sure what your point is there because seasons aren’t 20 games long.

I’m not trying to hail McCann as the greatest
Manager ever to grace the Rovers dugout, but I believe that his drive and will to win was a significant factor in what we achieved that season, and for me that was an ingredient Moore seemed to be missing as our manager. If you disagree with that, no problem. If it’s that easy to get Rovers into the play offs, I look forward to it happening again year after year.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #306 on March 01, 2021, 08:10:36 pm by Janso »
"Intelligent" isn't a word I would use to describe him. A good footballing mind yes but intelligent - definitely not. Just listen to his interviews!

I always felt like he used bigger words to try and make himself sound dead intelligent in interviews but he often came across as though he was waffling.

Do you mean in terms of the way he tried to be fluent in terms of the way he put his interviews across, in terms of the content of his comments or in terms of the way he tried to get across his philosophy in terms of the way the game should be played?
The first one.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #307 on March 01, 2021, 08:11:39 pm by pib »
The more I think about it, the more bat shit crazy this seems.
Why on earth would he go there?

Especially when it looks like its only til the end of the season.

Whats going on at Rovers?

Why does it have to be something wrong at Rovers? Wednesday are a massive club, in the doldrums but I’ve no doubt Moore is doubling/trebling his money with the promise of a big kitty if he keeps them up. I reckon most managers would struggle to believe that and see through Chansiri, but Moore doesn’t come across as the smartest tool so maybe he’s accepted it and been a bit shortsighted with it.
Because of the pattern of how the last 3 managers have left, and also the comments made by dickov.

Add them together, and concerns arise.

We can attract the managers, but why don't they stay?

Biggest shock of the day for me is that anybody on here holds any regard for what Paul Dickov has to say.

Absolute gobshite of the highest order, and should never have been anywhere near the Rovers job in the first place.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #308 on March 01, 2021, 08:13:57 pm by Colin C No.3 »
We've given our last 3 managers a lifeline back into football when no one else was interested in them.

Fergie. In his 2nd spell at Peterborough he joined them in November 2011. He was sacked in February 2015 after they finished 15th in Lg1. We gave him an opportunity at Rovers in October 2015, a club he described on his appointment as 'A no brainer. A club held in high esteem in the footballing world & a board who are determined to bring the club & it's supporters success with all the backing that requires'. He pi**ed off leaving us high & dry & having finished the season 15th in Lg1 in late June 2018. He's currently in his 3rd term at P/boro & they're 'flying'. But we all know how quickly things spiral out of control with him as the 'finish line' draws close, so let's see where he trips up & misses out this time....as I'm in no doubt he will.

McCann. Became a first time manager at Peterborough after finishing his playing days with them in May 2016 on a 4 year contract! He was sacked in February 2018 after P/boro finished the season 15th in Lg1 (spooky I know!). We gave him an opportunity (when his c.v. must have looked as though someone had torn pages from it) in June 2018. He pi**ed off to Hull in June 2019 after having decimated the Rovers squad. Hull were relegated from the Championship that season under his tenure ship. They, along with Sunderland, have the largest budget in Lg1. They're blowing hot & cold & the supporters want him out. He could have tried & failed at Rovers with regards promotion to the Championship because he had the support of the board & the supporters. £££ + ego = Hull. Let's see if he takes them back to the 'promised land' of the Championship. I am just as sure he will fail as I am with Fergie & his lot.

Moore. Sacked by WBA after being in fourth place in the Championship in March 2019. Many in the footballing world thought that harsh. We (the supporters), the board the players were delighted when he was appointed manager in July 2019. But again, no other club was willing to take a chance on him. Oh how he 'bought into Club Doncaster' he espoused at his very first interview (He's shy with the media, he'll get better & if not surely as long as he get's his message across to the players is all that counts?). His interviews continued in the same vain. But, his 'little black book' would have top teams battering the doors down to send their players to us! And to some extent they did. But did he get the best out of them? Did we have a Wilks or Kane? We're suddenly on a sticky run where he now shows us he has what it takes to not only manage the team but the situation we find ourselves in. Does he stay with 'Club Doncaster'...no he pi**es off to The Owls who will be relegated this season, for sure.

So what have we/the board learned since Fergie & the other two joined then 'abandoned' us?

Dave Penney played for us during our Conference years & went on to bring us Trophy's & promotions & teams & winning nights as a manager we only dare dreamed of. Let's hope Andy Butler can grasp the mantle, surprise us all & give us a team, performances & success we again can only dare dream of. Like Penney (& unlike Ferguson, McCann & Moore), Butts is Rovers through& through. That's what the board see, let's get behind him & the team...full on!

RTID

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #309 on March 01, 2021, 08:42:00 pm by Draytonian III »
Getridorit - McCann went to Hull & Moore has gone to Wednesday. Both clubs struggling at the wrong end of the table and owned by fruitcakes but they are (were) both Championship clubs, much bigger than Rovers and potential to go far with a bit of stability, not to mention a huge uplift in salary. If they had both left to go to a Swindon or a Northampton I’d be concerned but both moves have been up a division football-wise and probably two or three divisions financially.

That’s the best post of the day on any thread, it totally sums up today’s events

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #310 on March 01, 2021, 08:43:38 pm by Cramby10 »

Why does it have to be something wrong at Rovers? Wednesday are a massive club, in the doldrums but I’ve no doubt Moore is doubling/trebling his money with the promise of a big kitty if he keeps them up. I reckon most managers would struggle to believe that and see through Chansiri, but Moore doesn’t come across as the smartest tool so maybe he’s accepted it and been a bit shortsighted with it.
Because of the pattern of how the last 3 managers have left, and also the comments made by dickov.

Biggest shock of the day for me is that anybody on here holds any regard for what Paul Dickov has to say.

Absolute gobshite of the highest order, and should never have been anywhere near the Rovers job in the first place.
ha ha ha. Beautiful job. Made me proper smile did that. Couldn’t have put it better myself!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #311 on March 01, 2021, 08:49:14 pm by MachoMadness »
Hopefully Butler is a bit less keen on the boozy team nights out than Penney was though!

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #312 on March 01, 2021, 09:06:35 pm by StocksArmy »
Its exciting times for this club in my opinion. From what SM has said in terms of the manager being laid back had shone through in the teams performances since he walked through the door. I go back to how many first halves of football we have wasted? I think as time ticks on you will see DM go back into coaching then management. I think hes been extremely lucky to have had the backing he has from the club and the work from who seems to be a mastermind in recruitment. Its almost as though the work was done for him and his job was to use these tools out on the pitch. To me he didnt do that on a number of occasions. In a good position yes we are but I feel the team is still underperforming. Its very capable of reaching those automatics. I just hope the players who signed for the Moorefactor pull in the right direction for AB.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:28:11 pm by StocksArmy »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #313 on March 01, 2021, 09:07:13 pm by Campsall rover »
We've given our last 3 managers a lifeline back into football when no one else was interested in them.

Fergie. In his 2nd spell at Peterborough he joined them in November 2011. He was sacked in February 2015 after they finished 15th in Lg1. We gave him an opportunity at Rovers in October 2015, a club he described on his appointment as 'A no brainer. A club held in high esteem in the footballing world & a board who are determined to bring the club & it's supporters success with all the backing that requires'. He pi**ed off leaving us high & dry & having finished the season 15th in Lg1 in late June 2018. He's currently in his 3rd term at P/boro & they're 'flying'. But we all know how quickly things spiral out of control with him as the 'finish line' draws close, so let's see where he trips up & misses out this time....as I'm in no doubt he will.

McCann. Became a first time manager at Peterborough after finishing his playing days with them in May 2016 on a 4 year contract! He was sacked in February 2018 after P/boro finished the season 15th in Lg1 (spooky I know!). We gave him an opportunity (when his c.v. must have looked as though someone had torn pages from it) in June 2018. He pi**ed off to Hull in June 2019 after having decimated the Rovers squad. Hull were relegated from the Championship that season under his tenure ship. They, along with Sunderland, have the largest budget in Lg1. They're blowing hot & cold & the supporters want him out. He could have tried & failed at Rovers with regards promotion to the Championship because he had the support of the board & the supporters. £££ + ego = Hull. Let's see if he takes them back to the 'promised land' of the Championship. I am just as sure he will fail as I am with Fergie & his lot.

Moore. Sacked by WBA after being in fourth place in the Championship in March 2019. Many in the footballing world thought that harsh. We (the supporters), the board the players were delighted when he was appointed manager in July 2019. But again, no other club was willing to take a chance on him. Oh how he 'bought into Club Doncaster' he espoused at his very first interview (He's shy with the media, he'll get better & if not surely as long as he get's his message across to the players is all that counts?). His interviews continued in the same vain. But, his 'little black book' would have top teams battering the doors down to send their players to us! And to some extent they did. But did he get the best out of them? Did we have a Wilks or Kane? We're suddenly on a sticky run where he now shows us he has what it takes to not only manage the team but the situation we find ourselves in. Does he stay with 'Club Doncaster'...no he pi**es off to The Owls who will be relegated this season, for sure.

So what have we/the board learned since Fergie & the other two joined then 'abandoned' us?

Dave Penney played for us during our Conference years & went on to bring us Trophy's & promotions & teams & winning nights as a manager we only dare dreamed of. Let's hope Andy Butler can grasp the mantle, surprise us all & give us a team, performances & success we again can only dare dream of. Like Penney (& unlike Ferguson, McCann & Moore), Butts is Rovers through& through. That's what the board see, let's get behind him & the team...full on!

RTID
Great post Colin C

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #314 on March 01, 2021, 10:03:24 pm by Getridorit »

That’s the best post of the day on any thread, it totally sums up today’s events
Think hes massively oversimplyfing it there, and probably not aware of all the details.

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #315 on March 01, 2021, 10:05:42 pm by Getridorit »

Aye, mature contribution to an important discussion.
Think of dickov what you want, his comments added to how the last 3 managers left makes cause for concern.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #316 on March 01, 2021, 10:06:59 pm by BobG »
What you think, Getridorit, has as much or as little merit as the thinking of anyone else. But given human nature Nick's point has far more to commend it than your vapour ware. Just what "details" are you aware of that make Nick's point "over simplified"?  If you would care to share them, your assertions might attract significantly more credibility.

Cheers

BobG
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:10:38 pm by BobG »

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #317 on March 01, 2021, 10:08:49 pm by Janso »

Think hes massively oversimplyfing it there, and probably not aware of all the details.

Very few of us are aware of all the details but it always seems to be the ones spouting shite that think they know it all.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #318 on March 01, 2021, 10:12:12 pm by pib »

Think of dickov what you want, his comments added to how the last 3 managers left makes cause for concern.

If you say so.

I'll rephrase it in a more "mature" way for you if you like - I don't hold Paul Dickov's comments in particularly high esteem, and do not regard him as a trustworthy source of information on the club. Partly due to the tumultuous nature of the club during his time here (very little, if any of which was the fault of the current board), and also for Dickov's tendency, in my view, to be something of a self-promotion expert and a purveyor of questionable "truths".

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #319 on March 01, 2021, 10:33:30 pm by idler »
How many managers accept blame for relegation, missing out on promotion or losing a cup final?
Have you heard one say well I bought the players and pick the team so ultimately I am to blame. It's regularly excuses or innuendo about board interference, lack of investment or ambition. That's the way they keep getting back on the managerial merry go round.

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #320 on March 01, 2021, 10:49:42 pm by Getridorit »

If you say so.

I'll rephrase it in a more "mature" way for you if you like - I don't hold Paul Dickov's comments in particularly high esteem, and do not regard him as a trustworthy source of information on the club. Partly due to the tumultuous nature of the club during his time here (very little, if any of which was the fault of the current board), and also for Dickov's tendency, in my view, to be something of a self-promotion expert and a purveyor of questionable "truths".
Your calling him a liar, based on what?

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #321 on March 01, 2021, 10:55:05 pm by Getridorit »
What you think, Getridorit, has as much or as little merit as the thinking of anyone else. But given human nature Nick's point has far more to commend it than your vapour ware. Just what "details" are you aware of that make Nick's point "over simplified"?  If you would care to share them, your assertions might attract significantly more credibility.

Cheers

BobG
If your not aware, then I guess you haven't followed the club as closely as I have over the last 20 years.

If you think it wasn't oversimplified, then I can't help you with that.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #322 on March 01, 2021, 10:59:31 pm by BobG »
I note, in common with conmen everywhere, despite being offered oppotunity, you refuse to say anything other than smoke. Your word is as worthless as the orifice it presumably comes out of. You claim lots. And know nothing.

regards

BobG

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #323 on March 01, 2021, 11:07:21 pm by NewDonny »
Pib.

When you talk about the considerable resource given to McCann, I can’t help but think you’re judging Kane and Wilks as the players they became rather than the ones that arrived. Kane had never played a game in senior football and was hardly a huge signing. Wilks was nowhere near the Leeds team and had just had a fairly inauspicious season at Accrington Stanley. Sadlier arrived from Ireland on a speculative 18 month deal. Downing, I’ll give you that he won’t have come cheap. But give McCann some credit. He got more out of the team and the individuals and did a fantastic job over the season, culminating in one of the best performances (and atmospheres) I’ve seen live at Charlton. By the end of the season we were performing like a play off team - that’s indisputable as that’s where we finished by the end of the season.

Even ahead of his departure he’d brought in Halliday and James who have turned out to be great signings. And Gomes has potential too. 

McCann did a top job here. Sadly Hull City and Sheffield Wednesday are far bigger clubs than us. Ask 100 established managers if they would rather manage Hull / SWFC or Doncaster then >90 would pick Hull / SWFC. The remaining 10% would be lacking confidence in their ability and not up to the job. The chance to have a go at a big club is bound to be tempting. The Belles’ manager has just walked out to take a short term chance at a bigger club. That’s football.

He had also lined up Ben Sheaf on loan as well who is now a regular in the Championship with Coventry & he had also lined up Washington, now at Charlton and Taylor who did come in from Rotherham.

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #324 on March 01, 2021, 11:08:33 pm by Getridorit »
I note, in common with conmen everywhere, despite being offered oppotunity, you refuse to say anything other than smoke. Your word is as worthless as the orifice it presumably comes out of. You claim lots. And know nothing.

regards

BobG

Aye, that's right. Lose the argument and shout liar!

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #325 on March 01, 2021, 11:20:41 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
One particular bug bear for me was the keeper situation. They are by and large a talented group and the latest guy has been great. But they are all young and often create as many problems as they solve. Lincoln away a case in point. For this position at least, can we have our own guy in goal in future?
Last season Lawlor was first choice at the start (our keeper) but didn’t have the best of starts and then Dieng came on against Grimsby and made a few good saves and kept Lawlor out the side.

This season we’ve had loans but the reason for that was because Jones is the backup and they wanted him to get experience in the cup games to then hopefully go on to become first choice next season.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #326 on March 01, 2021, 11:32:42 pm by SydneyRover »
How many managers accept blame for relegation, missing out on promotion or losing a cup final?
Have you heard one say well I bought the players and pick the team so ultimately I am to blame. It's regularly excuses or innuendo about board interference, lack of investment or ambition. That's the way they keep getting back on the managerial merry go round.

It's certainly a high pressure job that few could do, with criticism and advice from anywhere and everywhere and it all boils down to the simplest formula ............ adored if they win and bagged if they don't. I am greatly disappointed that DM has left and we are unlikely to know all the reasons ever. Butts won't be with us forever either all we can do is support who we have and when we have them.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #327 on March 01, 2021, 11:41:20 pm by BobG »

regards

BobG

Aye, that's right. Lose the argument and shout liar!
[/quote

That is just about the best post I have ever seen Getridorit!  I will leave it to the many on here with both more brain, and, more wisdom than you to enjoy it.

Best wishes Getridorit. That has quite made my evening!

BobG

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #328 on March 02, 2021, 07:28:11 am by roversdude »
Getridorit
Think you’re on a loser there, BobG has probably forgot more than what most of us will ever know

baggie192

• Forum Member
« Reply #329 on March 02, 2021, 12:27:01 pm by baggie192 »
I've always had massive respect for Darren Moore and the job he did for us at centre back that kept us in the championship over  a decade ago .

I thought he was hard done by at WBA too when he got the sack with Albion still very much in the championship promotion race .

But I have to say he's gone down in my estimations today .

Shytehouse trick and gone to a shytehouse club .

Maybe they deserve one another .

I got slammed on here when he left WBA. It was partly Dave doing though, as He'd has been secure if he hadn't turned the Jones sacking into he goes I go situation. For those who don't know. Things were going well but the club wanted him to have an asisstant manager. He Graeme Jones at the time No.2 for Belgium. It cost us £2m and was a HUGE mistake. As soon as he came he was chasing the luton job. He made non sensical tactics changes during matches overriding Moore. Quickly hated by fans, management and players. As soon as he contacted  Luton to enquire about the manager job he was sacked. When Moore found out it seems it was if he goes I go. Hence sacked when we were fourth. I don't get the wednesday move, though, could understand it if he had a window. But when he took over here he had Premier league players.   

TinyPortal © 2005-2012