Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 12:16:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: So much for respecting the Ref  (Read 2543 times)

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
So much for respecting the Ref
« on March 11, 2021, 07:02:00 pm by RugbyRover »
Just seen this and proves Refs are their own worst enemies.

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/drysdale-given-suspension-as-he-reveals-foul-mouthed-rant-that-prompted-bizarre-incident-in-cobblers-game-3163065

Seems like you can call a ref a "furkin cheat" and its not dissent. Games gone bonkers.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
Re: So much for respecting the Ref
« Reply #1 on March 11, 2021, 07:08:37 pm by EasyforDennis »
We see the lack of respect towards referees every week and what does the FA do about it? Absolutely nothing.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 11, 2021, 07:09:08 pm by Filo »
Highlights the case for putting a mic on the ref, it seems Judge has not been punished at all and let the ref take the rapp

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 11, 2021, 07:36:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Judge stuck his finger in Drysdale's face. He's lucky Drysdale didn't clock him one. It's ridiculous that we expect refs to be paragons of virtue when they have to deal with obnoxious shites like him.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 07:51:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 11, 2021, 07:51:17 pm by Chris the Rover »
Why wasn’t he shown a second yellow card, followed swiftly by a red? Surely the ref would had been fully justified in doing that? Football is light years behind both codes of rugby when it comes to respecting referees.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 11, 2021, 07:54:44 pm by Superspy »
Judge stuck his finger in Drysdale's face. He's lucky Drysdale didn't clock him one. It's ridiculous that we expect refs to be paragons of virtue when they have to deal with obnoxious shites like him.

"How am I supposed to soar like an eagle when I'm surrounded by f**king turkeys?"

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 11, 2021, 09:39:30 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 11, 2021, 09:42:13 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Football is light years behind both codes of rugby when it comes to respecting referees.

Completely agree, C t R; I’ve been going on about this subject for years!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 11, 2021, 10:05:01 pm by BobG »
Once again the corruption of money underlies the lack of grace and sportsmanship in football. it won';t change though - until the revenues start to dry up.

BobG

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 12, 2021, 12:15:09 am by PDX_Rover »
Once again a judicial farce.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 12, 2021, 01:33:39 am by BobG »
If I was Darren Drysdale I would be sorely tempted to tell the FA where they can shove their whistles. Trouble is it'll be his only job so he'd be talking himself into unemployment. Like most other things about football, this is nasty, brutish and driven by money. Even most of the bloody TV comentators these days do nowt but spout the bleeding obvious. That's nasty and brutish too. I dont need telling what I can see on the tv screen in front of me FFS. I'd like some intelligence, some wit and some silence to be applied. Even if he was another sport altogether, come back Dan Maskell.

As for the typical TV commentator interview questions of 'How much did you enjoy ....?' and 'How good was...?'  I ask you. I can think of several wonderful answers to idiocy like that

BobG

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 12, 2021, 01:44:24 am by Bentley Bullet »
Bob, isn't everything driven by money?

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 12, 2021, 04:16:47 am by knockers »
I don’t think cars are  :whistle:

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 12, 2021, 06:05:54 am by turnbull for england »
Reading report Alan Judge has come out this as quite the cheating Kitson

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 12, 2021, 06:45:39 am by Donnywolf »
We see the lack of respect towards referees every week and what does the FA do about it? Absolutely nothing.
They should read Rate the Ref for a start and they would know 99.9 pc of Refs are not cheats but 50 of that 99.9 pc are not very good
Cheating players cause a lot of the Refs woes
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 06:49:59 am by Donnywolf »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 12, 2021, 06:55:38 am by Donnywolf »

For some opinions going back years just search Drysdale in Rate the Ref

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 06:57:54 am by Donnywolf »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 12, 2021, 07:07:57 am by roversdude »
Can’t believe Judge has not been charged retrospectively

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 12, 2021, 08:03:32 am by Pancho Regan »
This is appalling! I sympathise with the ref on this one, there is no way a player should get away with such verbal abuse to a ref.

Judge should have been given another yellow for the verbal abuse on top of the yellow for diving, resulting in a red card. Arguably he could have got a straight red.

How come Judge hasn't been charged with anything?

At the very least it was baldism...

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 12, 2021, 08:18:15 am by rich1471 »
Think judge needs to careful, as his next outburst  the ref will just send him off for foul and abusive language

WhitstabubbleKen

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 12, 2021, 08:20:48 am by WhitstabubbleKen »
Can you imagine the outcry if the referee had been black.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 12, 2021, 09:26:53 am by BillyStubbsTears »
"Match officials are entitled to, and should, be treated with respect by all participants. The
incessant abuse and haranguing of match officials is unacceptable. It besmirches the sport
and is inexcusable. Behaviour of this kind seems generally to be tolerated in football,
often by match officials themselves. In our judgement, it should not be.
3. It is a breach of law 12 of the Laws of the Game 2020/21 meriting a red."

Right. So the authorities are going to stand by refs who send off six players in a game for verbal abuse, are they?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 12, 2021, 09:37:45 am by BillyStubbsTears »

I'd have been furious to be honest. Given that there hasn't been black ref on the professional list since 2009, I'd have wondered who the f**k had let him ref the game.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 10:08:52 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 12, 2021, 10:25:50 am by Pancho Regan »
"Match officials are entitled to, and should, be treated with respect by all participants. The
incessant abuse and haranguing of match officials is unacceptable. It besmirches the sport
and is inexcusable. Behaviour of this kind seems generally to be tolerated in football,

Right. So the authorities are going to stand by refs who send off six players in a game for verbal abuse, are they?

As with most things, it's not black and white (no pun intended) and there is a line to be drawn somewhere. There has to be some room for the referee's discretion, taking into account the heat of the moment, the severity of the abuse etc.

So for example, a player being frustrated at a decision, throwing his arms in the air and saying "Oh, FFS Ref!" is very different to Judge's "You are a f**king cheat you bald c**t".

One would warrant a ticking off and being told to calm down, the second is a red card to me. It is way over any line in my opinion.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 12, 2021, 10:49:28 am by idler »
Years ago you could see Wayne Rooney berating refs and linesmen on match of the day. You didn't have to be much of a lip reader to know exactly hat he was saying. A few red cards then and Fergie would have stopped him and setting an example for others. I'm sure that would have filtered through the game.
The same in tennis, if Nastase had been dealt with severely in then70s it would have curbed some of the later outbursts of McEnroe etc.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 12, 2021, 10:58:01 am by Colin C No.3 »
After showing Judge (you couldn't choose a more inappropriate name in this instance!) the yellow card, Drysdale should have called Judge to one side & said 'If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? So this is for you, you cheating foul mouthed dwarf', then showed him the red card.

In fairness Darren Drysdale did say at the inquisition, I mean hearing, that in hindsight he should have shown Alan Judge a red card for foul & abusive language towards an official, I think it speaks volumes about the FA Regulatory Commission that retrospective punishment, i.e. a one match suspension & a £1000 fine as laid down in their own rules for abuse of match officials, was not even considered. No wonder Alan Judge wanted to distance himself from the incident as much as possible, as did his club clearly when approached a second time about the incident said that Judge couldn't be contacted but his initial response & that of the clubs remained the same.

I don't want to make a ballad out of this but someone deserves their pound of flesh here surely?

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 12, 2021, 12:27:53 pm by turnbull for england »

I'd have been furious to be honest. Given that there hasn't been black ref on the professional list since 2009, I'd have wondered who the f**k had let him ref the game.

Uriah Rennie?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 12, 2021, 01:02:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Uriah Rennie?

Yep. He retired in 2009.

He would have known how to deal with a little scrote like Judge. I once saw him ref a pre-season friendly between us and Bradford City at Guiseley. Gary Brabib and Chris Kamara were kicking lumps out of each other and complaining to Rennie. He pulled them both overstuck his finger in both their faces and shouted, "You two! I don't NEED it!" They looked like two schoolkids being ticked off.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 12, 2021, 01:12:33 pm by eastender »
If I was Darren Drysdale I would be sorely tempted to tell the FA where they can shove their whistles. Trouble is it'll be his only job so he'd be talking himself into unemployment.

BobG

He's a sergeant in the RAF , and could probably eat Judge for breakfast ,then spit him out and sh#t on him.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 12, 2021, 01:23:33 pm by Drover »
I don’t think cars are  :whistle:

But how do you get the fuel?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 12, 2021, 01:45:52 pm by drfchound »

As with most things, it's not black and white (no pun intended) and there is a line to be drawn somewhere. There has to be some room for the referee's discretion, taking into account the heat of the moment, the severity of the abuse etc.

So for example, a player being frustrated at a decision, throwing his arms in the air and saying "Oh, FFS Ref!" is very different to Judge's "You are a f**king cheat you bald c**t".

One would warrant a ticking off and being told to calm down, the second is a red card to me. It is way over any line in my opinion.
After showing Judge (you couldn't choose a more inappropriate name in this instance!) the yellow card, Drysdale should have called Judge to one side & said 'If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? So this is for you, you cheating foul mouthed dwarf', then showed him the red card.

In fairness Darren Drysdale did say at the inquisition, I mean hearing, that in hindsight he should have shown Alan Judge a red card for foul & abusive language towards an official, I think it speaks volumes about the FA Regulatory Commission that retrospective punishment, i.e. a one match suspension & a £1000 fine as laid down in their own rules for abuse of match officials, was not even considered. No wonder Alan Judge wanted to distance himself from the incident as much as possible, as did his club clearly when approached a second time about the incident said that Judge couldn't be contacted but his initial response & that of the clubs remained the same.

I don't want to make a ballad out of this but someone deserves their pound of flesh here surely?

Far too sensible chaps.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012