Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:22:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Remind me again why we left the EU  (Read 31894 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Remind me again why we left the EU
« Reply #390 on April 09, 2021, 11:17:53 pm by SydneyRover »
I was sure the subjugation of Ireland started around the 12th century

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #391 on April 09, 2021, 11:45:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Some of the posters on here should really have a good look inside the mind of your average Mr Joe Loyalist in NI before they start throwing accusations around at people who voted leave in a democratic referendum

Give this set of lunatics one inch and they will drive every Catholic out of Ulster within the day and that's just the DUP never mind the meat heads in the Shankhill .

The power share broke down in Storemont years ago .

It's gone on for over 300 years .

What stage of grief is denial?

The Leave approach to Northern Ireland seems to have gone through the following stages:

1) Dismiss any predicted problems as "Project Fear".
2) Claim there will be some technological solution to the border issue.
3) Get really mad that as trivial a problem as the Irish border could be holding up Brexit.
4) Insist that no British Prime Minister would ever sign an agreement that put a border between GB and NI.
5) Sign an agreement that puts a border between GB and NI.
6) Insist that the agreement does not require a border between GB and NI.
7) On Brexit Day, impose a border between GB and NI.
8) Scream at the EU for the disgraceful way they have handled the Irish border problem.
9) Agree with the Unionists that the fact there is a border between GB and NI is a major problem that needs to be rectified.

And now, Tyke has
10) Blame it all on the Northern Irish for always fighting anyway.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #392 on April 10, 2021, 07:48:22 am by wilts rover »
Some of the posters on here should really have a good look inside the mind of your average Mr Joe Loyalist in NI before they start throwing accusations around at people who voted leave in a democratic referendum

Give this set of lunatics one inch and they will drive every Catholic out of Ulster within the day and that's just the DUP never mind the meat heads in the Shankhill .

Project Fear. You won, get over it.

Some other people ought to read up on their Irish history before hitting send.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #393 on April 10, 2021, 08:02:58 am by wilts rover »
Statement from the Loyalist Communities Council (LCC) an umberella organisation of loyalist paramilitary groups:

“The LCC can confirm that none of their associated groups have been involved either directly or indirectly in the violence witnessed in recent days,” it said.

But the LCC said there had been a “spectacular collective failure” to understand their anger over Brexit and other issues, and the border protocol must be renegotiated. Critics of the departure deal’s Northern Ireland protocol say a border is in effect in the Irish Sea, leaving unionists feeling betrayed.

“We have repeatedly urged HM Government, political leaders and Institutions to take seriously our warnings of the dangerous consequences of imposing this hard border on us and the need for earnest dialogue to resolve matters. We reiterate that message now.”

Sorry but this is directly the consequence of the deal Johnson negotiated, signed, stood in a General Election on and rushed through Parliament withought proper scrutiny. If you don't beiieve me - read the above again

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/09/northern-ireland-police-say-paramilitaries-not-behind-recent-violence

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #394 on April 10, 2021, 08:21:34 am by drfchound »

Project Fear. You won, get over it.

Some other people ought to read up on their Irish history before hitting send.

Agreed wilts.
It is all on google.
Easy enough to find.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #395 on April 10, 2021, 08:31:58 am by Dutch Uncle »
I would start with a search ‘Plantations of Ireland’

And ‘Ireland, a History’ by Robert Kee is a brilliant book
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 08:34:54 am by Dutch Uncle »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #396 on April 10, 2021, 08:47:39 am by wilts rover »
And the good news for those Brexiteers who wanted to reduce the UK economy keeps on coming...

J.P. Morgan, one of the world's largest banks, looking to relocate all European business out of London:

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1380156842307899392

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #397 on April 10, 2021, 08:43:14 pm by scawsby steve »
We're all getting vaccinated.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #398 on April 10, 2021, 11:15:08 pm by SydneyRover »
We're all getting vaccinated.

27000+ are not

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #399 on April 11, 2021, 09:52:33 am by ravenrover »
Who are they then Syd?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #401 on April 11, 2021, 12:40:47 pm by ravenrover »
So your + was just another 100,000 who aren't getting the jab! You need to do better go and stand in the corner
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 05:49:23 pm by ravenrover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #402 on April 11, 2021, 02:34:14 pm by selby »
  The 40% drop in Business with the EU in January looks as though it was a temporary blip due maimly to stocking up before the event, with Business back roughly to normal pre Brexit levels, and Britain booming with the highest job vacancy levels since 2015 according to reports.
 What we need to do now is squeeze the pips and keep the imports up but the public buy alternative hopefully local or alternatively produce from non member countries and leave the EU stuff on the shelves, and keep a ban on holidays to the main continental popular holiday spots such as Spain, Greece and Italy etc.
  We have found at least five products in our weekly shop that are EU produce we normally bought  that we have replaced with produce from either the UK or other countries often better quality and in some cases far cheaper.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 02:42:49 pm by selby »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #403 on April 11, 2021, 02:59:21 pm by wilts rover »
  The 40% drop in Business with the EU in January looks as though it was a temporary blip due maimly to stocking up before the event, with Business back roughly to normal pre Brexit levels, and Britain booming with the highest job vacancy levels since 2015 according to reports.
 What we need to do now is squeeze the pips and keep the imports up but the public buy alternative hopefully local or alternatively produce from non member countries and leave the EU stuff on the shelves, and keep a ban on holidays to the main continental popular holiday spots such as Spain, Greece and Italy etc.
  We have found at least five products in our weekly shop that are EU produce we normally bought  that we have replaced with produce from either the UK or other countries often better quality and in some cases far cheaper.

Where did you hear that, Rupert Murdoch Radio?

Because its not shown here, tracked to 31st March:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/03/uk-economic-recovery-tracker-effects-brexit-and-covid-19-jobs-house-prices-trade

If you are banning 750 mill potential tourists from entering this country you aren't going to be very popular among business that rely on them. Where do you suggest you make up their shortfall, China and Russia?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #404 on April 11, 2021, 03:31:49 pm by selby »
 Talk Radio Wilts, the fastest growing Radio Station in the world Wilts, because the news isnt buried like other radio stations if it doesn't dish the UK like the BBC.
 I am not bothered about being popular, and if tested  and on their passport coming into the country they had had the vaccine and that would be a minimum requirement. I would not stop tourists, but would keep the red light system and ban those from countries where the infection rates were considered too high.
  I would also use our tourist industry to be selective as to where our own tourists could go and spend their money as well, and again would ban holidays to countries where the infection rate were considered too high, which at the moment rules out most continental popular tourist destinations, people would have to find alternative destinations.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 04:06:38 pm by selby »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #405 on April 11, 2021, 04:10:20 pm by wilts rover »
Thought so - you keep listening to Rupert Murdochs' radio station - it appears to be as truthful as his newspapers.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #406 on April 11, 2021, 07:47:29 pm by selby »
  So in your world Wilts the figures are right when they show the UK in a bad light, and when they are decent they are wrong, well yeh buddy right enjoy  your bitter world this evening.
   Just a tip for you Wilts if you can read the words with more than three letters, Read the Telegraph.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:11:52 pm by selby »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #407 on April 11, 2021, 09:21:18 pm by wilts rover »
  So in your world Wilts the figures are right when they show the UK in a bad light, and when they are decent they are wrong, well yeh buddy right enjoy  your bitter world this evening.

Well if you can show me where these decent figures are I will believe them! In my world real things exist.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #408 on April 11, 2021, 09:28:40 pm by scawsby steve »

Well if you can show me where these decent figures are I will believe them! In my world real things exist.

Over 32 million vaccinated.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #410 on April 11, 2021, 09:44:35 pm by BVB »
Great effort - shows what can be done when the professionals are supported, trusted and left to get on it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #411 on April 11, 2021, 09:48:29 pm by drfchound »
Great effort indeed.
Although if it hadn’t gone well no doubt it would have been the fault of the government eh.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #412 on April 11, 2021, 09:48:43 pm by normal rules »
And the good news for those Brexiteers who wanted to reduce the UK economy keeps on coming...

J.P. Morgan, one of the world's largest banks, looking to relocate all European business out of London:

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1380156842307899392

The headline you post is impactive. The reality not so.

JP Morgan may one day move all of its EU-focused business out of London and into Europe, the investment bank's boss has said.

Jamie Dimon said any such move would be "many years out" but warned that London will need to “adapt and reinvent itself” after Brexit.

JPMorgan's chairman and chief executive opined that “few winners are likely to emerge” from the UK's decision to leave the EU which will make financial services fragment across multiple cities including Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris and Dublin.

In his annual letter to shareholders, Mr Dimon wrote: "In the short run (ie, the next few years), this cannot possibly be a positive for the United Kingdom’s GDP – the effect after that will be completely based upon whether the United Kingdom has a comprehensive and well executed strategic plan that is acceptable to Europe." (Source: independent)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #413 on April 11, 2021, 09:56:57 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Yep, it's great that the government chose not to participate in the joint EU vaccine purchasing scheme earlier this year, saying that it could secure doses more quickly itself.

Labour’s policy and Keir Starmer's own personal choice was to participate in the joint EU vaccine purchasing scheme, claiming that Brexit will actually make the rollout of the UK’s vaccination programme more difficult.

Great decision by the government.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #414 on April 11, 2021, 10:00:17 pm by SydneyRover »
It was a great decision and the vaccine roll out is being done well,

team UK scores goal after 10 years.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #415 on April 12, 2021, 12:18:42 am by BVB »
Great effort indeed.
Although if it hadn’t gone well no doubt it would have been the fault of the government eh.
Er, not necessarily.
If despite all the support etc the professionals messed it up then we’d have to question them why.
If on the other hand it didn’t go well due to government lack of support, trust and faith in the professionals, then of course the government - any government - should be held to account.

Fairly straight forward really.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #416 on April 12, 2021, 12:01:20 pm by drfchound »
Great effort indeed.
Er, not necessarily.
If despite all the support etc the professionals messed it up then we’d have to question them why.
If on the other hand it didn’t go well due to government lack of support, trust and faith in the professionals, then of course the government - any government - should be held to account.

Fairly straight forward really.

With respect sir, I think that our Labour supporters in the main, would have gone to town on the government whatever had caused the vaccine roll out to fail.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #417 on April 12, 2021, 10:38:12 pm by SydneyRover »
Neutrals don't appear to have to commit just ask questions, but don't take my word for it look at the lack of answers ...... any time ......... how does one vote neutral?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #418 on April 13, 2021, 12:36:34 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Neutrals don't appear to have to commit just ask questions, but don't take my word for it look at the lack of answers ...... any time ......... how does one vote neutral?

Sydney – strange as it may seem I actually did in a real and positive selective sense vote ‘neutral’ in the last General Election!

It is of course in the tangled web of Northern Ireland politics that I cast my vote, and maybe that gives me a chance to give a brief overview given the recent violence here.

All political parties here are expected to make clear their stance on the biggest issue of all, namely Unionism (i.e wishing to remain part of the UK or Nationalism/Republicanism (wishing to become part of the Republic of Ireland).  Parties may take a ‘neutral’ stance. On the Unionist Side there are the DUP (Democratic Unionist Party) and UUP (Ulster Unionist Party) and smaller parties like the PUP (Progressive Unionist Party) and TUV (Traditional Unionist Voice). On the Republican side are Sinn Fein and SDLP (Social Democratic and Labour Party). The two main parties that are ‘neutral’ are the Alliance Party and the Greens.

The Labour Party does not field candidates in NI, and the Conservatives do very little and with no real prospect of an MP over here.

I decided as a non-indigenous recent arrival here, that for the time at least I would vote for a ‘neutral’ party (Alliance as they are the largest neutral party).

When the Good Friday Agreement (GFA) was signed in 1998 it was as a result of the so called Hume-Adams talks, although great credit must also go to David Trimble as well. The great John Hume was the leader of the SDLP, the moderate republican party who always condemn all violence out of hand. Sinn Fein on the other hand are of course highly tied to the republican paramilitaries. David Trimble was the leader of the moderate UUP, the Unionist moderates who also condemn all violence while the DUP have links to the Unionist paramilitaries. In the initial post GFA NI Assembly in Stormont it was the moderate UUP and SDLP who were by far the largest parties. However with the need to keep paramilitaries within the process this has shifted over time, and the centre moderates have been marginalised by the NI voters with power shifting to Sinn Fein and DUP. The political centre is now a very sparsely populated place here in NI, with the Alliance Party now having an increased role compared with 1998. IMHO this is a symptom of the volatility here, and explains (but not justifies) the strong reactions.

Also IMHO it was a colossal blunder by the DUP to back Brexit, presumably preferring to be allied with the Conservative party, rather than thinking through the obvious and all too clear consequences for Northern Ireland.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:39:43 pm by Dutch Uncle »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #419 on April 13, 2021, 01:01:17 pm by SydneyRover »
I tip my hat to your knowledge Dutch, you have certainly added to mine. Your last para IMHO says it all .............. for everyone in the UK.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012