Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:44:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Climate Crisis  (Read 22519 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: The Climate Crisis
« Reply #330 on November 04, 2021, 10:31:43 am by normal rules »
I’m not one to be worried too much by things. My dad, god bless him, is a “I won’t be around for it to bother me type generation”
But I have genuine concerns about the future of life, in the uk as well as the wider world in coming decades.
This sat morning, out of interest, I’m getting up early, about 5-30 am and popping down to the local sea bank , which is only about 3 miles away from my house. Prior to weaving my way along Caistor high st to scunny of course.
I’m taking the dog for a walk, but sat morning around 6-30 am will be one of the higher tides of the year, coinciding with the relevant moon cycle. It’s about a 7.2 m tide. I’m interested to see just how high it is.
House wise, we probably have one more move left in us. Probably to a bungalow. I’m giving serious consideration to how high above sea level that property would be. Which would mean a move from Lincolnshire altogether.
It’s not really a thing currently in the housing market, but I can see it being the top priority for prospective house buyers in years to come.
And yet we still build houses on flood plains.
Beggars belief.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #331 on November 04, 2021, 10:40:00 am by River Don »
Prof Pierre Friedlingstein, at the University of Exeter, UK, said: “To achieve net zero by 2050, we must cut emissions every year by an amount comparable to that seen during Covid.

Just think about that for a minute. Remember how difficult lockdown was? And then think to achieve the goal we would need lockdown levels of cuts, on top of lockdown on top of lockdown for years to come.

There is no pain free way of achieving this.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #332 on November 04, 2021, 10:55:49 am by Axholme Lion »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #333 on November 04, 2021, 11:01:18 am by River Don »
Stop the lunacy and get this signed.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/599602/signatures/new

What's the point?

If we don't try and do this then we're f***ed.

And we aren't really trying anyway, most of the measures are either green wash or put off into the future.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #334 on November 04, 2021, 11:22:01 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
An absolutely ridiculous petition. The sooner we cut emissions, cut plastic and create an environment that's better for our children the better.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #335 on November 04, 2021, 11:25:01 am by normal rules »
The planet is f**ked anyway. We are trying, in vain, to put a sticking plaster on the Hoover dam which has just sprung a big leak.
I watched pt 2 of universe last night.which is pretty mind boggling.
We are f**king our planet yet spending billions on trying to find other planets around the universe that may be capable of sustaining life.
The nearest possible one being 146 light years away.
Which we will never ever be able to get to.
And to put that into perspective, the fastest space probe we have would take millions of our years to get there. But would never have the capacity to store enough fuel. So is literally impossible.
The future of the planet will first be a world with considerably more surface water than
We have currently, leading to mass migration of the populous, leading to ever greater over population. The likes of which we simply cannot comprehend.
The talk of a North Sea wall seems like pie in the sky at the moment.
But I can see this being a reality.
I cannot see any other way to protect the tens of millions in this part of the world from permanent flood.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 11:31:50 am by normal rules »

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #336 on November 04, 2021, 11:27:38 am by Axholme Lion »
Why should i pay what's in it for me?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #337 on November 04, 2021, 11:35:36 am by normal rules »

Assuming you live on the Isle itself, AL, and if you live long enough, you will be able to experience climate change first hand. As your area, like mine, will be in the firing line of rising sea levels.
If you don’t and you have kids, they most certainly will in their lifetime.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #338 on November 04, 2021, 11:38:55 am by normal rules »
I’m lucky enough to be a homeowner.
It’s not happened yet, but it will. Homes will start depreciating as a result of where they are.
You only have to look at the blighted communities whose homes are literally being taken by the sea every year. Yorkshire coast  Norfolk coast. The homes in these communities are worthless.
Insurers will start shying away from this risk too.
Owning a home in a flood risk area has not really hit home yet in the uk. We pay a slight premium for living near a watercourse etc, but nothing too extreme.
But it will. And soon.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #339 on November 04, 2021, 01:13:28 pm by Axholme Lion »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #340 on November 04, 2021, 01:25:40 pm by River Don »

This kind of question makes me think the reason for climate change denial, is simply that some don't like the potential impacts on their lifestyle.

What's in it for me?

I don't like it therefore it cannot be true.

Therefore the scientists have to be wrong.

It is as base as that, isn't it?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #341 on November 04, 2021, 01:39:00 pm by normal rules »
Had a little look on rightmove to prove a point to myself.
There is a very nice 5 bed detached bungalow  in Happisburgh, with wonderful sea views. Sited in a private secluded cul de sac next to the ancient church there.
Idyllic.
 But it’s about 200 m from the ever eroding cliff there.
It’s just been reduced (again) to £300,000.
Now a property like this , in Norfolk should be worth circa three quarters to a million pound.in fact there are plenty just a few miles inland priced at just this.
We don’t think it will affect us if we don’t live on the coast.
In time, it will. And sooner than you think.
I joked a few weeks ago about “Doncaster by the sea.”  The more I think about it, the less funny it is.
If you look at the predicted models and heights above sea levels locally around the Humber South Yorkshire area, it does not take the brains of a scientist to see where the risk is. Most of the moors around Thorne are below sea level for instance.
We had a taste of it recently when areas around fishlake were swamped and east of Lincoln.these were just minor breaches of watercourses.
All the early warning signs are there .
What do we do about it i hear you ask?
Well, I don’t think the shenanigans in Glasgow will help on the grand scheme of things.
So the next best thing is to make sure you are prepared.
My next house  move will be to higher ground.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #342 on November 04, 2021, 01:46:16 pm by normal rules »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prR1UQBMrAw&list=UU876yBInncBfsiknqMdHvuA&index=27

This bloke should be PM.

Short sighted idiot.
I am no eco Kitson. Far from it.
Ask this clown where his spuds will come from when Lincolnshire is under water.
Mind you, he sounds like a city dweller, so probably has no comprehension of where they come from or what they need to grow.
I imagine his life revolves day to day around Going To work, getting home, having his tea cooked for him and then getting his leg over if he is lucky enough.
Mind you, he will be happy when he can catch his own jellied eels in his own back garden.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #343 on November 04, 2021, 01:47:36 pm by River Don »
It's difficult to know what to do about potential flooding. With these extreme heavy rainfall events flash floods can affect anyone. NR

In fact neighbours just down the road from us were flooded out just a few weeks ago. To make it worse they live on a lane where there is a Yorkshire water pump house or something. Anyway it got inundated and it sent a whole load of sewage into three or four properties. They had tankers pumping it out for days.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #344 on November 04, 2021, 01:59:02 pm by normal rules »
I’m not talking about floods from rainwater though. They have always happened. For centuries and longer compounded in recent centuries by what we build and where we build it. Built up areas where every driveway has block paving and tarmac with no where for water to go etc.
No, I’m talking about the sea.
I don’t know if you ever get to stand at the seas edge often. We walk the dog on the beautiful stretch between Skegness and Gibraltar point often. The sea defences are non existent. The sand dunes are slowly being eroded and there is not much left of them.
It won’t be many years before the highest tides will come inland, there is nothing to stop it.
Add to that rising sea levels and there is a recipe for catastrophe.
The only silver lining is the tide itself. It goes out twice a day which would offer respite. But there will be swathes of low lying areas across the uk that will simply have to be given up to account for tides.
Frieston shore near where I live is a good example. It’s an rspb reserve. Not too many years ago they breached the sea wall in three places to allow the sea in. A managed retreat I think they call it.
The sea completely fills it at high tide. Held back only by the existing and old sea bank
There is not enough time, or money to surround every low lying area in the uk with walls and banks. Not going to happen.
So the sea will come. It’s just a matter of time.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #345 on November 04, 2021, 02:05:38 pm by River Don »
I understand that NR. Those glaciers in Greenland are just going to keep melting and keep dumping millions of gallons into the oceans. I'm just making the point you can live up a hill and still not be secure.

With the right climatic conditions we will see a massive storm surge inundating large parts of England and the Netherlands. It happened before and it will happen again but it will be worse next time. and it is only a matter of time.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #346 on November 04, 2021, 02:20:35 pm by normal rules »
Well if the scientists are right, if every drop of ice around the world and both ice caps melted then the sea will rise globally by 68 metres. So that my starting point. Lol
Incidentally, if they ever happened. The uk would end up as an archipelago.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #347 on November 04, 2021, 02:31:22 pm by River Don »
http://flood.firetree.net/

Try this, it maps the potential areas that will flood at different depths.

13m and Donny is gone.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:33:43 pm by River Don »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #348 on November 04, 2021, 03:23:21 pm by normal rules »
Before that is most of the crop growing area in south Lincs. Just 3-4 m would leave a lot of empty supermarket shelves.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #349 on November 04, 2021, 03:24:31 pm by Axholme Lion »
http://flood.firetree.net/

Try this, it maps the potential areas that will flood at different depths.

13m and Donny is gone.

Rather than wasting money on HS2 and scrounging migrants they should build better flood defences.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #350 on November 04, 2021, 03:28:48 pm by normal rules »
That map puts sincil bank and blunder park  under water at 9m too.
No loss there.
I see Hull would be pretty fecked also.
That’s  a lot of displaced people.
Time to invest in a boat.

5 metres puts a lot of east London as a pond too. As well as Bermondsey. Which AL may want to take note of .
Can lions swim ?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #351 on November 04, 2021, 03:30:11 pm by normal rules »
 They will have to redesign parts of the hs2 network in a watertight tube.because rails won’t work under water .

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #352 on November 04, 2021, 03:31:49 pm by River Don »
They will have to redesign parts of the hs2 network in a watertight tube.because rails won’t work under water .

Seaweed on the line.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #353 on November 04, 2021, 03:34:41 pm by Axholme Lion »
That map puts sincil bank and blunder park  under water at 9m too.
No loss there.
I see Hull would be pretty fecked also.
That’s  a lot of displaced people.
Time to invest in a boat.

5 metres puts a lot of east London as a pond too. As well as Bermondsey. Which AL may want to take note of .
Can lions swim ?

Haha, probably not. But we'll have all drowned in the sea of shit which Rowett serves up long before then. In the words of The Clash, 'I live by the river.'

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #354 on November 04, 2021, 03:39:54 pm by normal rules »
That model makes interesting viewing.just two metres and the isle of axholme is pretty much gone. Only good for picking sampher picking perhaps and twitching for sea birds. Plus parts of the M180.
When you get to double figures, the whole area from Brid to Driffield down to spurn point and Hull. All gone. Scunny ends up nearly an island.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #355 on November 04, 2021, 03:57:18 pm by River Don »
Perhaps a bit misleading, that map.

Water wouldn't just rush into all those areas at a couple of meters, some of it would remain dry below sea level. As the sea level rises more significantly though, to like 5m, then there would be no holding it back from large areas.

And 5 meters is by no means an unrealistic prediction.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #356 on November 04, 2021, 03:57:27 pm by Axholme Lion »
That model makes interesting viewing.just two metres and the isle of axholme is pretty much gone. Only good for picking sampher picking perhaps and twitching for sea birds. Plus parts of the M180.
When you get to double figures, the whole area from Brid to Driffield down to spurn point and Hull. All gone. Scunny ends up nearly an island.

The Island of the Damned?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #357 on November 04, 2021, 04:19:51 pm by River Don »
Cleethorpes, in the future.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #358 on November 04, 2021, 04:33:49 pm by selby »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/10/01/south-pole-coldest-winter-record/
   Get wrapped up.
 Just last year the papers were full of a massive sea ice chunk breaking off and heading to the island of South Georgia an old whaling station where they thought it would ground and slowly melt and change the whole eco system in that area and raise sea levels. I have not heard it has happened, could the scientists have been wrong just twelve months ago?
  In the last few years we have been subjected to scientists saying the earth is warming up, the present favourite, a couple of years ago we are heading for a small ice age due to sun spots that determined our weather patterns the then flavour of the year. Take your pick one might just happen.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 04:50:29 pm by selby »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #359 on November 04, 2021, 04:55:18 pm by Filo »
I’m not one to be worried too much by things. My dad, god bless him, is a “I won’t be around for it to bother me type generation”
But I have genuine concerns about the future of life, in the uk as well as the wider world in coming decades.
This sat morning, out of interest, I’m getting up early, about 5-30 am and popping down to the local sea bank , which is only about 3 miles away from my house. Prior to weaving my way along Caistor high st to scunny of course.
I’m taking the dog for a walk, but sat morning around 6-30 am will be one of the higher tides of the year, coinciding with the relevant moon cycle. It’s about a 7.2 m tide. I’m interested to see just how high it is.
House wise, we probably have one more move left in us. Probably to a bungalow. I’m giving serious consideration to how high above sea level that property would be. Which would mean a move from Lincolnshire altogether.
It’s not really a thing currently in the housing market, but I can see it being the top priority for prospective house buyers in years to come.
And yet we still build houses on flood plains.
Beggars belief.

You could stay in Lincolnshire and move to the Lincolnshire Wolds, Caistor is on the Lincolnshire Wolds I think, if it isn’t it’s very close

TinyPortal © 2005-2012