Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:37:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Travel / holidays abroad this year.  (Read 4462 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Travel / holidays abroad this year.
« Reply #30 on March 21, 2021, 03:59:22 pm by drfchound »
We joined the caravan club in 1979 and have been members ever since.
It is quite some time since we last went on a club site, we prefer the five van CLs.
Much quieter and more individual pitch space.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 07:13:15 pm by drfchound »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on March 22, 2021, 03:58:30 pm by Axholme Lion »
Foreign travel should be a total no IMO. Let's get the situation under control here rather than import more virus strains. Very selfish for anyone to even consider going abroad when so many have had to give up so much already. One year without a foreign holiday is not going to kill anyone and the extra bonus is spending more money at home.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on March 22, 2021, 04:20:51 pm by idler »
Foreign travel should be a total no IMO. Let's get the situation under control here rather than import more virus strains. Very selfish for anyone to even consider going abroad when so many have had to give up so much already. One year without a foreign holiday is not going to kill anyone and the extra bonus is spending more money at home.
I agree to an extent AL. I am expecting not to be allowed to travel in May on a family holiday that I booked 18 months ago. The problem is I’ve £6,000 to lose if I refuse to go rather than the government stop me. I won’t be booking another one if I get a refund though.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 22, 2021, 04:41:03 pm by Axholme Lion »
I agree to an extent AL. I am expecting not to be allowed to travel in May on a family holiday that I booked 18 months ago. The problem is I’ve £6,000 to lose if I refuse to go rather than the government stop me. I won’t be booking another one if I get a refund though.

I hope you get your cash back. Would it not worry you to still be going?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on March 22, 2021, 07:08:08 pm by ravenrover »
Well, we've got 7 members of the Doncaster Roamers Touring Club already! I wonder if we can all camp in Knockers' back garden as a warm-up to summer?
Another Eriba owner here, member of both clubs but rarely use Camping and Caravan Club sites

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 22, 2021, 09:11:14 pm by scawsby steve »
I used to go to Cleethorpes on the club trip every year.

Does that count as being well travelled?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on March 22, 2021, 09:12:54 pm by idler »

No, we have been very careful although four of the family members going with us have had the virus. We have been told the hotel insists on masks and meals are served. No buffets. There will be areas for sitting and possibly a timetable and booking for sunbeds and the pool. What's not to like? :(
I don't expect for a minute that we will go but I can't afford to throw that much away for nothing as it was my family treat.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on March 22, 2021, 09:20:38 pm by Janso »
There's always a timetable for booking the pool - "before the Germans get up".

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on March 22, 2021, 09:26:43 pm by idler »
There's always a timetable for booking the pool - "before the Germans get up".
I'll just give up and go throw the towel in then.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on March 22, 2021, 10:12:26 pm by tommy toes »

That was the highlight of the year when I worra lad.
Buses as far as the eye could see along Skellow Road.
Onto the bus, free pop and crisps and 30 bob to spend in Wonderland.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on March 22, 2021, 10:36:30 pm by scawsby steve »

Onto the bus, free pop and crisps and 30 bob to spend in Wonderland.

Yes, Tommy. From the top of the Big Dipper you could see Blundell Park.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on March 23, 2021, 08:23:42 am by ravenrover »
Scawthorpe Club trip, my only holiday as a nipper. Scarboro Brid or Cleggie, 30bob to spend? It was a tanner for me. Kids and the women on the beach Dads and Grandads in the pub, and it always rained

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on March 23, 2021, 08:42:02 am by Not Now Kato »

No, we have been very careful although four of the family members going with us have had the virus. We have been told the hotel insists on masks and meals are served. No buffets. There will be areas for sitting and possibly a timetable and booking for sunbeds and the pool. What's not to like? :(
I don't expect for a minute that we will go but I can't afford to throw that much away for nothing as it was my family treat.

We were in a similar position at the start of this pandemic. We'd paid a deposit of £400 for a cruise and they sent us an email requesting the ballance of £4,000. They hadn't cancelled the cruise at the time so we had a choice to make, pay the ballance and hope they cancel before the cruise date so we could get our money back, or cancel there and then and lose the deposit. As there was no way two vulnerable people would get on a ship in a pandemic  and there was no indication that they would cancel,  (all they would say is that the plan was currently for the cruise to go ahead), we chose the safe option, cancelled and lost the deposit.

Sorry to see you're in a far wrose position than we were, having paid the lot! Hope it works out for you. I hear the government are looking to ban all foreign travel other than for specific reasons, (which don't include holidays), so I hope it works out for you and you can get all your money back.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on March 23, 2021, 09:03:29 am by ravenrover »
My balance last year for our family holiday was due on 15th March, which I paid. Then came the lockdown announcement. Exactly as promised Jet2 got in touch to ask what I wanted to do and given options
1 move the holiday
2 take a voucher for next year
At this point refund wasn't mentioned, after I explained that our grand daughter would be starting full time school in Sept making it impossible to take a family holiday outside of school holidays they immediately said full refund then. 3 days later it was back in my account

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on March 23, 2021, 10:14:58 am by redarmy82 »
I'm possibly in the unique situation of being in the aviation industry and going to have a bumper year. Work at Newquay airport so it's going to be rammed this year. +We've got the G7 conference in Cornwall and there's works going on right now for the horizontal launch space port that's coming in 2022. I do however have to cope with half the country jamming up the bearly capable roads down here.!!!
Do have massive amounts of sympathy for old colleagues in DSA though it's a bucket and spade airport and will suffer.
Once again like the last recision wizz air and the poles will keep the place going!?
See you all head on on a single track road soon :)

I'm guessing Eastern European travel won't be what it was.

As long as Wizz stay committed to the new base at Doncaster and TUI don't leave, then it should be okay.

A shame there are no longer flights from Doncaster to Newquay.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on March 23, 2021, 10:16:35 am by redarmy82 »

Most airlines and holiday companies won't survive another year of no income. That's a fact. You'd be pretty much starting an industry from scratch next year if they are all allowed to fail.

New variants aren't going to go away. You could say the same next year.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on March 23, 2021, 02:35:04 pm by Axholme Lion »

Most airlines and holiday companies won't survive another year of no income. That's a fact. You'd be pretty much starting an industry from scratch next year if they are all allowed to fail.

If that's the price to pay for leading a normal life then it's worth paying IMO. I can't afford foreign holidays so i don't see why i shouldn't be able to take my Mrs to a tea room or the theatre or for me be able to watch football just to enable people to go abroad for a jolly up. I've gone without my passtimes for a year so i don't see the hardship of no foreign holidays for a while. Plus there a many nice places in our own country to visit and boost our own economy.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 23, 2021, 03:59:30 pm by redarmy82 »

If that's the price to pay for leading a normal life then it's worth paying IMO. I can't afford foreign holidays so i don't see why i shouldn't be able to take my Mrs to a tea room or the theatre or for me be able to watch football just to enable people to go abroad for a jolly up. I've gone without my passtimes for a year so i don't see the hardship of no foreign holidays for a while. Plus there a many nice places in our own country to visit and boost our own economy.

Tell that to the tens of thousands of people who work in that industry.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on March 23, 2021, 04:04:25 pm by Axholme Lion »

Plenty other industries/businesses have suffered. Protecting our people and nation is more important. More people taking their holidays in Britain surely equates to more employment here. we can't carry on like this forever. Lock the doors.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on March 23, 2021, 04:59:55 pm by redarmy82 »

Plenty other industries/businesses have suffered. Protecting our people and nation is more important. More people taking their holidays in Britain surely equates to more employment here. we can't carry on like this forever. Lock the doors.

Jesus. You do realise international travel is essential. Many other industries rely on it not just travel and tourism.

Like I said, you will have new variants pop up every year. We cannot close the borders indefinitely.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on March 23, 2021, 06:00:32 pm by ravenrover »
Well all you foreign home owners are quids in. You and Johnson snr can all book your summer hols with no problems as long as you are preparing your property for sale or rental.
Thats Stanleys 4 weeks in Greece sorted then

winegums

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on March 30, 2021, 08:55:29 am by winegums »
Have any of you ever stopped at Muston Grange near Filey? If so what's it like?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on March 30, 2021, 09:18:41 am by ravenrover »
No but I'll be in Filey in 4 weeks today

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on March 30, 2021, 09:28:22 am by selby »
  It's all about flattening the EU economy and making them realise they do need the Brits, one or even two summers without us should do the trick.

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on March 30, 2021, 11:56:07 am by Hounslowrover »
Selby, Brits could always holiday here, but chose to holiday abroad, even Brexiteers. I assume once the virus is under control, Brits will again choose to holiday abroad. It’s to do with guaranteed sun and lower prices.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on March 30, 2021, 01:21:10 pm by Donnywolf »

Onto the bus, free pop and crisps and 30 bob to spend in Wonderland

... best thing for me is it seemed to take forever to get to Clee - probably did - and there was always a stop en route Brigg maybe

Similarly Stainy to Brid the coaches called at Holme-on Spalding Moor which seemed to take ages to get to but 30 ish minutes these days lol

In fact I rarely pass there without smiling at the thought
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:19:27 pm by Donnywolf »

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on March 30, 2021, 01:38:55 pm by knockers »

Centenary Way is a nice site at Filey. They’ve not quite moved with the times though and still take cheques!

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 30, 2021, 02:11:45 pm by Petche »

Similarly Stainy to Brid the coaches called at Holme-on Spalding Moor which seemed to take ages to get to but 30 ish minutes there days lol

[/quote]

Ha ha, same!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on March 30, 2021, 05:02:40 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Centenary Way is a nice site at Filey. They’ve not quite moved with the times though and still take cheques!
My mate from Prague goes there often.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on March 30, 2021, 05:12:24 pm by Filo »

Onto the bus, free pop and crisps and 30 bob to spend in Wonderland

... best thing for me is it seemed to take forever to get to Clee - probably did - and there was always a stop en route Brigg maybe

Similarly Stainy to Brid the coaches called at Holme-on Spalding Moor which seemed to take ages to get to but 30 ish minutes these days lol

Used to stop at the Pub on the bend, just after the roundabout at Holme Upon Spalding Moor, it’s a saddle makers now I think, or a stop at the pub that is now a house on the long straight road between Howden and Holme Upon Spalding Moor. If it was the Cleethorpes trip it was a stop at  The Jolly Sailor at Gunness

TinyPortal © 2005-2012