Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 04:57:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: MPs shagging flags  (Read 7948 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
MPs shagging flags
« on March 23, 2021, 11:57:40 am by DonnyOsmond »
What's everyone's thoughts on the matter?

I've no issue with the Union Jack flag being on display at a building, people hanging it up for events like the Olympics, VE Day or the St George's flag being flown during World Cups or Euros.
However, recently it's all just turned cringey with MPs making sure a flag is in shot then if anyone interviewing them makes a light hearted joke about it then they all jump on them. Two of our local Tory MPs, Don Valley and Bassetlaw, even wrote to the head of the BBC asking for Charlie Start and Naga Munchetty to be reprimanded and made to apologise. Surely this is people being snowflakes and cancel culture at its finest?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: MPs shagging flags
« Reply #1 on March 23, 2021, 12:37:15 pm by idler »
Like everything in life is something becomes overused or overexposed it gradually loses it's value until it is nothing out of the ordinary and undervalued.
That's my opinion, I also think that some of the main flag wavers are also hypocrites. Wave the flag and then do something for yourself rather than the country as a whole.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 23, 2021, 12:47:25 pm by MachoMadness »
The interesting thing about that whole furore was how it was Naga Munchetty who bore the brunt of it and had to apologise, even though it was Charlie Stayt who made the quip. Wonder white's going on there.

There's nothing inherently wrong with waving the flag but using the flag as a prop to rile people up because you have nothing of substance to say is the problem. Like does anyone really think these politicians have massive 10 by 6 ft f**koff Union flags just lying around their offices, taking up room? It's just patronising.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 23, 2021, 12:50:24 pm by selby »
  Idler, I go along with that there is a lot of hypocrites waving and dressing themselves up in the flag of the EU, especially outside the Houses of Parliament for the BBC cameras.
  They make a noise too.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 23, 2021, 12:57:26 pm by Janso »
I'll just sum up what no doubt the majority of the thread will be then clear off.

"Grrrrr lefties"

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 23, 2021, 01:05:40 pm by drfchound »
No leftie jibes from me Janos..
How can anyone do so when all Party’s  do it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:27:04 pm by drfchound »

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 23, 2021, 01:14:01 pm by MachoMadness »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 23, 2021, 01:53:02 pm by ravenrover »
Credit To Hancockup he doesn't have a flag in the background when he is interviewed from home

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 23, 2021, 01:55:46 pm by belton rover »
Credit To Hancockup he doesn't have a flag in the background when he is interviewed from home
Not even a white one?

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 23, 2021, 02:23:28 pm by Axholme Lion »
Very sad attitude displayed by some on here.
We should be proud of our flag. What's wrong with the Government promoting Britain?
Even the liberals now running the US still have pride in their nation's flag.
If those two making fun of the flag that many gave their lives to defend were in the US their careers would be over now.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 23, 2021, 02:37:18 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We should be proud of our flag. What's wrong with the Government promoting Britain?
If those two making fun of the flag that many gave their lives to defend were in the US their careers would be over now.

Yes because the US are worse than anywhere. We aren't and hopefully won't ever be like the US. All a flag is is a piece of cloth and it isn't something to get emotional about when someone else jokes about it.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 23, 2021, 03:36:02 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It's getting as bad as poppy shaming.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 23, 2021, 03:50:33 pm by Axholme Lion »

Yes because the US are worse than anywhere. We aren't and hopefully won't ever be like the US. All a flag is is a piece of cloth and it isn't something to get emotional about when someone else jokes about it.

Totally disagree. It is not just a piece of cloth, it is a representation of our nation, history and people which many gave their lives to defend and as such should be treated with the respect it deserves by anyone who has the benefit and honour of being a British citizen.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 23, 2021, 04:02:02 pm by wilts rover »
Have you noticed how it as always the intolerant and authoritarian countries that are the most visible in promoting symbols as a means of control. Tolerant countries have no need of that - they take pride in their country as a country.

If you listen or read to the people who actually fough for this country, people like Harry Patch and Tom Moore, they tell you they fought for freedom and the desire not to live under an authoritarian regime.

All this snowflake cancel culture - you can't say anything in this country anymore...

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 23, 2021, 04:07:56 pm by Axholme Lion »
Have you noticed how it as always the intolerant and authoritarian countries that are the most visible in promoting symbols as a means of control. Tolerant countries have no need of that - they take pride in their country as a country.

If you listen or read to the people who actually fough for this country, people like Harry Patch and Tom Moore, they tell you they fought for freedom and the desire not to live under an authoritarian regime.

All this snowflake cancel culture - you can't say anything in this country anymore...

There's always some disrespectful lowlife ready to trample the flag. If it was a statue of Nelson Mandela being ridiculed the woke left would be up in arms, stamping their feet as usual. They are so predictably boring.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 23, 2021, 04:13:48 pm by drfchound »
The ex army people that I know certainly still have pride in the flag.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 23, 2021, 04:25:02 pm by Axholme Lion »
The ex army people that I know certainly still have pride in the flag.

As i do in them. For me the flag is a representation of there courage and efforts.
The title of this thread tells you all you need to know about the mentality of some on here.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 23, 2021, 04:33:32 pm by MachoMadness »
The thing about flagshaggers is they only give a shit about the flag when they can use it to shout down others. That's what deserves mockery. The flag is just a piece of cloth but it's one you can project your values onto. It can be a symbol of good, or it can be a nasty, spiteful thing that little people use to shame others. Just displaying a flag has no value. It gets the knuckle draggers riled up like the fascist eugenics lover in this thread though, which is why vapid politicians use it as a prop.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 23, 2021, 04:54:12 pm by Axholme Lion »
The thing about flagshaggers is they only give a shit about the flag when they can use it to shout down others. That's what deserves mockery. The flag is just a piece of cloth but it's one you can project your values onto. It can be a symbol of good, or it can be a nasty, spiteful thing that little people use to shame others. Just displaying a flag has no value. It gets the knuckle draggers riled up like the fascist eugenics lover in this thread though, which is why vapid politicians use it as a prop.

Thanks for the fascist slur, you really ought to be careful what you write on a public forum, it could get you into trouble.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 23, 2021, 04:59:30 pm by DonnyOsmond »
The army is different to politicians adopting it over the last 6 months or so. We've even got one politician demanding the BBC put flags on their annual report as he believes his constituents would like that. I doubt his constituents have ever even read that report, nor care how many pictures of a flag are in it!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 23, 2021, 05:20:59 pm by idler »
I love my country and I love the flags of St. George and the Union Jack.
What I don't like is when people ram them down your throat for their own ends as I said earlier. That applies to any party or political group.
Waving a flag doesn't make a repugnant group attractive or empty promises any more valuable.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 10:04:26 am by idler »

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 23, 2021, 05:51:49 pm by MachoMadness »

Thanks for the fascist slur, you really ought to be careful what you write on a public forum, it could get you into trouble.
You're a fascist. Or it's a massive coincidence that you're not a fascist who just so happens to be obsessed with far-right authoritarian politics, loves fascist politicians like Orban, and advocates for fascist ideas like eugenics. Thought you were into free speech and plain speaking, now you're nudge-wink implying legal action (lol good luck with that given your posting history) because someone accurately described you on the internet.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 24, 2021, 08:15:54 am by Axholme Lion »

You're a fascist. Or it's a massive coincidence that you're not a fascist who just so happens to be obsessed with far-right authoritarian politics, loves fascist politicians like Orban, and advocates for fascist ideas like eugenics. Thought you were into free speech and plain speaking, now you're nudge-wink implying legal action (lol good luck with that given your posting history) because someone accurately described you on the internet.

Fine, as long as you can take it as well as give it. I'm happy to take insults as long as you are big enough to do the same, although i doubt it as the woke left are all the same. Any point of view is ok as long as it's yours. I would have been equally as happy to listen to a speech by either Enoch Powell or Tony Benn as they were both men of intelligence and honour with valid views and opinions, such a shame this is no longer possible with people with your blinkered mindset.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 24, 2021, 12:05:17 pm by selby »
   It's popular to call people a fascist when you basically are a commy the union flag used to stand against both, including the red one with the hammer and Sycle on which you might quite like Macho. 

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 24, 2021, 12:15:35 pm by Axholme Lion »
   It's popular to call people a fascist when you basically are a commy the union flag used to stand against both, including the red one with the hammer and Sycle on which you might quite like Macho.

Godwin's law, short for Godwin's law (or rule) of Nazi analogies, is an Internet adage asserting that "as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler becomes more likely. That is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Adolf Hitler or his deeds, the point at which usually dampens discussion.

I think the gist of this is when you begin comparing people with Nazis you have lost your argument.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 24, 2021, 12:34:01 pm by MachoMadness »
The brass neck of saying you're proud of our military while describing the evil thousands of them died to prevent as "valid".

This is the sinister side of flagshagging. It can cover up some truly abhorrent views. Unfortunately idler, waving a flag CAN make repugnant groups, who hate this country and most of the people in it, attractive to certain people. As this thread is evidence of.

Here's Selby defending fascism again. Remember when actual fascists wearing Camp Auschwitz t shirts tried to overthrow the US government and you thought that was cool and implied it should've happened here? And you never responded when called out because you're a cowardly little WUM who realised he'd gone too far? Not sure where communism comes in, I imagine it sounded clever in that perfectly smooth brain of yours.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 24, 2021, 12:44:12 pm by MachoMadness »

Godwin's law, short for Godwin's law (or rule) of Nazi analogies, is an Internet adage asserting that "as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler becomes more likely. That is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Adolf Hitler or his deeds, the point at which usually dampens discussion.

I think the gist of this is when you begin comparing people with Nazis you have lost your argument.
If you don't want to be compared to the Nazis you should probably stop sharing so many of their views. Here is a quote from another thread.

Kids shouldn't suffer because they have wasters for parents

We are breeding another generation on the benefits gravy train, when will it end?
We are massively over populated and there must be a solution. IMO Eugenics is the answer.

This is what Axholme thinks should happen in this country. He claims to love the country, but is happy to wipe out the "feral underclass" (another direct quote from that thread), ie millions of people who live here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_eugenics

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 24, 2021, 01:37:28 pm by Axholme Lion »

If you don't want to be compared to the Nazis you should probably stop sharing so many of their views. Here is a quote from another thread.

We are breeding another generation on the benefits gravy train, when will it end?
We are massively over populated and there must be a solution. IMO Eugenics is the answer.

This is what Axholme thinks should happen in this country. He claims to love the country, but is happy to wipe out the "feral underclass" (another direct quote from that thread), ie millions of people who live here.

I take you are happy for the streets to be full of effing and blinding, spitting, workshy loafers who prevent decent from going about thier business because they are scared of them? If so let's carry on breeding them. why can there be no safe place for normal people without having to come into contact with them?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 24, 2021, 02:21:38 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
The Nazis are all fascists. Not all Fascists are Nazis.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 24, 2021, 03:01:00 pm by Axholme Lion »

Or alternatively for a balanced reasoned viewpoint.

Eugenics is the practice or advocacy of improving the human species by selectively mating people with specific desirable hereditary traits. It aims to reduce human suffering by “breeding out” disease, disabilities and so-called undesirable characteristics from the human population.

If that is one way of improving life for all i do not see a problem.
If it was possible to stop people being born to be murderers or sex offenders why would that not be a good thing?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012