Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:13:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New assistant manager  (Read 2765 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
New assistant manager
« on March 26, 2021, 12:58:50 pm by NickDRFC »
What’s happened there then? 3 weeks ago Butler was speaking to people, he was definitely going to appoint someone and we’d get some experience in...and now Butler has said we’ll go with what we have for the rest of the season with Gerrard in a more Assistant Manager role.

We’ve lost a manager and an assistant manager and replaced them with one rookie as the manager. I don’t want to reopen the debate about the merits of appointing Butler, but surely it’s foolish to choose not to have someone with experience to help out?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

vaya

• Forum Member
Re: New assistant manager
« Reply #1 on March 26, 2021, 01:10:12 pm by vaya »
This isn't aimed at shutting the op down, but I thought Butler had come out with this a while ago, the rationale effectively being to not upset the applecart at this point in the season.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 26, 2021, 01:19:27 pm by selby »
  Makes you wonder how Jose Mourinho ever got started doesn't it.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 26, 2021, 01:19:59 pm by NickDRFC »
This isn't aimed at shutting the op down, but I thought Butler had come out with this a while ago, the rationale effectively being to not upset the applecart at this point in the season.

That seems to be his reasoning but it just doesn’t make sense to me - even ignoring the gaping hole in experience it still leaves us a man down in numbers on the coaching staff. When Whiteman left in January we didn’t just leave it to risk not upsetting the apple cart, we went out and signed Bostock.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 26, 2021, 01:23:02 pm by aidanstu »
  Makes you wonder how Jose Mourinho ever got started doesn't it.
Having Tottenham as my second team I wish he hadn’t.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 26, 2021, 01:23:52 pm by DMnumber4 »
When Saunders & Carey left for Wolves, Flynn moved from a DoF role to become manager with the help of Jones who was still playing - and contributing massively.

That didn't go too badly.

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 26, 2021, 01:27:09 pm by Getridorit »
What’s happened there then? 3 weeks ago Butler was speaking to people, he was definitely going to appoint someone and we’d get some experience in...and now Butler has said we’ll go with what we have for the rest of the season with Gerrard in a more Assistant Manager role.

We’ve lost a manager and an assistant manager and replaced them with one rookie as the manager. I don’t want to reopen the debate about the merits of appointing Butler, but surely it’s foolish to choose not to have someone with experience to help out?
Even more puzzling when you think how butler can do as good a job without any help?

It's just like a PE class now. With 1 teacher looking after 30 kids.  :rolleyes:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 26, 2021, 01:42:13 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The point is, we'll never know the rationale behind his thinking, so what's the point of making an issue out of something that may not be?

If he feels comfortable with those he already has around him, who are we to question that!?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 26, 2021, 01:56:33 pm by RoversAlias »
Butler confirmed this a week or two ago, and I see the merits.

He doesn't want to disrupt things with new ideas when we are in a good position, he hasn't got much time to get ideas through the players anyway due to the packed schedule, and a semblance of continuity seems to have helped in the immediate aftermath of Moore upping and leaving.

I don't see the problem personally. It will be addressed in the summer and until then we have Buts, Gerrard and a number of others on the staff committed to taking the club forward towards its goal for the season.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 26, 2021, 02:04:15 pm by since-1969 »

Be careful what you say there are some on hear only want ostrich views and opinions and any criticism of the present circumstances will be treated with hostility! Facts that you point out are just not part of their reality !!

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 26, 2021, 02:15:19 pm by Janso »

Be careful what you say there are some on hear only want ostrich views and opinions and any criticism of the present circumstances will be treated with hostility! Facts that you point out are just not part of their reality !!

It's people talking unfounded b*llocks that's treated with hostility.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 26, 2021, 02:52:31 pm by ravenrover »
Since 1969 and the word facts. Not something you associate with each other

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 26, 2021, 02:52:39 pm by Draytonian III »
When I started watching Rovers Stan Anderson had just taken over and he had Johnny Quigley as coach and that was it, I tend to think clubs have to many “staff” I’ve watched the pre match warm ups and there seems to be about 4 coaching staff on the pitch. Paul Gerrard has been a goalkeeping coach for at least 7 years and if you listen the different players on ifollow commentary they have mentioned he sorts out the marking out at set pieces, including in Darren Moore’s days.
 In any job football included you can have too many chiefs

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 26, 2021, 03:13:42 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
Paul Gerrard is more than a GK coach anyway. He will have plenty of support from his staff anyway.

Not too concerned to be honest.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 26, 2021, 04:04:13 pm by GazLaz »
Aren’t we waiting for his mate to work his notice putting Sky dishes up?

ss1953

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 26, 2021, 04:10:02 pm by ss1953 »
When I started watching Rovers Stan Anderson had just taken over and he had Johnny Quigley as coach and that was it, I tend to think clubs have to many “staff” I’ve watched the pre match warm ups and there seems to be about 4 coaching staff on the pitch. Paul Gerrard has been a goalkeeping coach for at least 7 years and if you listen the different players on ifollow commentary they have mentioned he sorts out the marking out at set pieces, including in Darren Moore’s days.

In the last set of DRFC reports at Companies House, the average number of employees was 244, (in 2018 it was 270)
That was before we let people go when Covid struck

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 26, 2021, 04:14:42 pm by The Beast »
Never been one for criticising the club, been mostly impressed at the way it’s been run but it seems they’re counting every penny at the moment, probably makes sense with Covid. Butler’s earning a pittance comparatively and doesn’t seem to be getting a fair crack without much support around him, yet he’s in charge of contract renewals? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 26, 2021, 04:26:43 pm by Getridorit »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 26, 2021, 04:56:07 pm by sha66y »
Not a lot matters at the moment , everything is undecided until the world of football does a reset.....I personally don’t care if the janitor and his cat are in charge of team affairs, the team by now should have an idea how we are supposed to set up and execute the plan...

Any additions to the team or staff are not necessarily going to change the outcome of this season..... but I’m sure there are those that will bandy around reasons why they should be allowed to spend the owners money with the best intentions in mind...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 26, 2021, 05:01:37 pm by drfchound »
Aren’t we waiting for his mate to work his notice putting Sky dishes up?

Nick was installing Sky dishes when I first got to know him.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 26, 2021, 07:37:26 pm by adamtherover »

In the last set of DRFC reports at Companies House, the average number of employees was 244, (in 2018 it was 270)
let's say 100 players across all ages, 10 managers and coaches, 10 in the ticket office and shop?, where on earth do the rest work?

bigdonnybob

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 26, 2021, 07:44:35 pm by bigdonnybob »
Maybe its me, maybe i read the article wrong, but does it not say that , come the summer, he will see about appointing an assistant, am i reading too much here that he is going to be the manager next season too.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 26, 2021, 07:50:38 pm by BVB »

let's say 100 players across all ages, 10 managers and coaches, 10 in the ticket office and shop?, where on earth do the rest work?

Presumably on earth the rest work in Doncaster.

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 26, 2021, 07:53:30 pm by Michael Gibson »
Nothing against butler etc, but think people like Coleman at Accrington would
Do a better job, they’ve proved it on a shoestring and play football.the people running drfc are chip counters and it’s been proved, yet again a decent guy goes with just a whimper from the do gooders,

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 26, 2021, 08:10:51 pm by DonnyOsmond »

The Comms team, HR, Finance, etc?

CoppsChop

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 26, 2021, 08:21:15 pm by CoppsChop »

Part time staff like stewards will count as staff.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 26, 2021, 09:18:14 pm by BVB »
Nothing against butler etc, but think people like Coleman at Accrington would
Do a better job, they’ve proved it on a shoestring and play football.the people running drfc are chip counters and it’s been proved, yet again a decent guy goes with just a whimper from the do gooders,

The people propping up DRFC are keeping the club you purport to support going - proved.
What’s being a “do-gooder” got to do with anything, and what exactly is a “do-golfer”?

But I if it helps, I will agree with you that the moon landings were faked.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 26, 2021, 09:19:29 pm by BVB »
Sorry do-gooder.
Damned predictive text.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 26, 2021, 10:24:17 pm by the vicar »
Coleman is home but we will have to pay money to get him and we won’t do that as we can’t afford it with no money coming in.  But, Andy is our manager simple

TinyPortal © 2005-2012