Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 03:58:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Need a new manager  (Read 2539 times)

Getridorit

• Forum Member
Need a new manager
« on March 27, 2021, 05:02:44 pm by Getridorit »
Sorry, but butlers had his chance.

He was the simple and easy choice.

I could have understood it more if we were doing well when Moore left, and wanted continuity. Like when flynn took over from Saunders.

However, we were poor under Moore for weeks before he left, so nothing tells me appointing butler and having continuity there would change anything.
It was clear things needed shaking up, and clearly butler wasn't going to do that.

Stendel or nigel clough for me please.

The latter has worked wonders at Mansfield, they've gone from relegation certainties to solid mid table since he's been appointed.
He'll get them promoted next season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Need a new manager
« Reply #1 on March 27, 2021, 05:03:25 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Couldn't you use one of the other two threads?

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 27, 2021, 05:04:08 pm by vaya »
Less attention that way

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 27, 2021, 05:08:40 pm by Getridorit »
I wanted to highlight a particular point that I think we need a new manager

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 27, 2021, 05:10:17 pm by vaya »
I wanted to highlight a particular point that I think we need a new manager

Hot take you've got there Clem Fandango.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 27, 2021, 05:12:55 pm by anton123 »
 Vaya , donny osmond why don’t u put your point across about the op instead of talking shit

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 27, 2021, 05:14:37 pm by vaya »
Vaya , donny osmond why don’t u put your point across about the op instead of talking shit

If you stop me talking shit I'd have far, far too much time on my hands.

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 27, 2021, 05:15:13 pm by redbrez »
Stendel or wellens please, or Lowe but he will cost

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 27, 2021, 05:17:19 pm by Getridorit »
They get less attention that way

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 27, 2021, 05:18:59 pm by vaya »
They get less attention that way

I can hear you, Clem Fandango

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 27, 2021, 05:21:39 pm by mushRTID »
Nigel Clough for me, good shout

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 27, 2021, 05:24:13 pm by Chris Black come back »
Nigel Clough! I'd sooner dig up Brian Clough.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 27, 2021, 05:29:38 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Stendel or Wellens IMO probably rather stendel. Prefer to get them in sooner to see who they want rid of and who keep in the squad. Letting Butler make those contract decisions now is ridiculous given how we’re playing.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 27, 2021, 05:29:55 pm by River Don »
Of the names being mentioned on this thread, I think I'd plump for Stendel, if they could get him.

Always thought he came across well in his Radio Sheffield interviews, despite his broken English. By all accounts the football was good and the Barnsley support were dismayed to lose him.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 27, 2021, 05:34:14 pm by keith79 »
Pep for me

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 27, 2021, 05:36:26 pm by mushRTID »
Nigel Clough! I'd sooner dig up Brian Clough.

Haha banter course you would.

Always seemed to did well at Burton, we always found them tough games.

Would stay fairly under the radar too and we might actually keep a manager for 2-3 years

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 27, 2021, 09:53:12 pm by StocksArmy »
Other than Wellens being a fantastic servant for us Im not sure why we would want him. If Stendel would take the job then I wouldnt hesitate in appointing him right now.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 29, 2021, 08:16:55 am by Draytonian III »
“Fanatic servant” is stretching it a bit far, he was a very good player, but a bit selfish to say the least

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 29, 2021, 11:22:35 am by godlike1 »

I could have understood it more if we were doing well when Moore left, and wanted continuity. Like when flynn took over from Saunders.

However, we were poor under Moore for weeks before he left, so nothing tells me appointing butler and having continuity there would change anything.
It was clear things needed shaking up, and clearly butler wasn't going to do that.

The latter has worked wonders at Mansfield, they've gone from relegation certainties to solid mid table since he's been appointed.

Isn't there a reason clough has tumbled down the leagues with regards his managerial way? There is a reason those on the merry go round don't get picked for the higher league jobs in the end which is that their ways become dated

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 29, 2021, 12:05:15 pm by redbrez »
Wouldn't expect a new manager to come in and get us up too speed and promoted ect,  but would it give someone like Stendel time to build for next season and give him chance to plan ahead and help to get players over the line , because there will be some rebuilding to do , plus if we wait potentially someone else could come in and get him.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 29, 2021, 12:12:07 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Not sure how it'll pan out. If we mathematically can't get playoffs will a search for manager start only then? Agree would be a great chance to get a manager in to have a look at the players he wants to keep or get rid. Especially important with how many out of contract players in the summer.

If Butler stays on he might be glad there all out of contract because they really aren't doing him any favors

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 29, 2021, 12:16:40 pm by Getridorit »

Isn't there a reason clough has tumbled down the leagues with regards his managerial way? There is a reason those on the merry go round don't get picked for the higher league jobs in the end which is that their ways become dated
Perhaps, I'm not sure.
I was just thinking outside the box with regards to realistic potential candidates.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 29, 2021, 12:22:57 pm by Chris Black come back »
I don’t think we need to smash everything up and start again. We probably just need to nudge the rudder a bit. Trying to keep a manager at the club for more than one season. Maybe relying on a loan or two less in the starting XI. Getting best players on to three year rather than two year deals. Expecting our defenders to turn in a clean sheet now and again, rather than fannying around with the ball at the edge of the box. None of this requires a massive cultural shift but would make us a more stable and credible side.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 29, 2021, 04:50:37 pm by idler »
I would imagine that we have already had some interested parties enquire or register an interest in the position at the Rovers.
We have plenty of positives as a club and a record of giving managers time rather than sacking them after a few bad results.
We also have a board that don't try and interfere in team selection and/or tactics unlike some.

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 30, 2021, 12:11:18 pm by northern soul »
Realistically who do we think would apply. I would have thought it would be very similar to the last couple of appointments plus a few selected others.

Wilder I would suggest no, same as Howe.

McInnes
Wellens
Chris Powell
Nicky Mellon
Stendel
Nicky butt
Callum Davidson
Sol Campbell.

* Apologies in advance for bad spelling.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 30, 2021, 12:29:59 pm by Chris Black come back »
Aside from Moore when he became available, I don't think we have ever gone for either the expected or highest profile choice. Everyone was getting excited about Keegan. Lots of toys thrown out of pram when it turned out to be SOD but he ended up being arguably our best ever manager (or best two). Saunders came from nowhere. Dickov got job through JR. God knows about Ferguson. McCann was way down any list people had. Aside from Dickov and Ferguson, they have all done a good job so am not too worried about who the process will spit out in the end.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 30, 2021, 12:49:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Realistically who do we think would apply. I would have thought it would be very similar to the last couple of appointments plus a few selected others.

Wilder I would suggest no, same as Howe.

McInnes
Wellens
Chris Powell
Nicky Mellon
Stendel
Nicky butt
Callum Davidson
Sol Campbell.

* Apologies in advance for bad spelling.

I'm not pro Butler leaving at the moment but Jody Morris might be a decent shout. Left Chelsea recently and has a good reputation.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012