Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:55:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Time for blunt and Baldwin to take their heads out of the sand.  (Read 3732 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Slide without investment? We’re doing pretty well at sliding with it!

Root and branch overall of the entire ethos at the Club is required, if we’re going to learn anything from this catastrophic melt-down.

Someone made the choice to go with AB and that someone has yet to admit that it’s been a complete disaster. Take some responsibility for goodness sake.

The last 3 managers have not stayed long enough to make an impression, but all 3 have showed their capabilities during their time with us. We simply can’t seem to hang onto anyone, decent players or managers. I wonder why that is, because it’s becoming a bit of a trend!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

eastender

• VSC Member
Re: Time for blunt and Baldwin to take their heads out of the sand.
« Reply #31 on April 05, 2021, 10:02:07 pm by eastender »
Before the start of the season Gavin tried to sell us the idea that plenty of loan deals was the way to go , and that he had done his home work and that most clubs that get out of this division had 5 loanees.
Well i've done my Home Work (3 mins) and as it stands right now the top 4 in L1 have a total of 10 loans between them , The top 2 only have 4 between them, with second place Peterborough  only having 1 and he's from Huddersfield.
So IMHO it looks like he's placed to much faith in the high quality loan market and it's back fired massively. Let's see if gets his fingers burnt again next season.
I hope who ever is the new Manager makes a stand and limits the Loans to 3.

The club want to run a squad on loan signings and short term contracts for players we sign.

Can anyone give me any examples of other clubs where this model has been successful?
Blackpool got into the prem doing this..   Only the oywstons greed destroyed it.
Blackpool did do that but the quality of there loans were far better than we have got, they also signed Charlie Adam that year, loans are a good thing used correctly

Among our loans we have:

A curent full International
A player signed by a PL club in 2019 for £2.5 million
A player from a PL club reputedly for sale at Christmas for £1.6million who has been our best player (when fit)
An England International at 3 Youth Levels

We could sign better than those for a fee could we?

No , but i never said ditch the loans ,i said stick to 3 loans ,and i'd take the top 3 you mentioned no problem.

just like to had Bristol Rovers only have 3 loanees , of which only 1 played and guess what , he scored both goals today.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 05, 2021, 10:03:18 pm by GazLaz »
One thing I’ve learnt from betting on football to a pretty serious level for 20 years is that teams that end seasons like we are currently end up in serious trouble the following season. The club may think this is an inconvenience that can be sorted in the summer and start a fresh, it doesn’t work like that I can assure you. That’s what Bristol Rovers thought in the summer and look at their league position. They brought in some pretty decent players but the rot had set in last season and it’s been like turning around an oil tanker for them.

Finding a way of at least attempting to turn this around in the short term is vital. I get a feeling that we will sleep walk to the summer, have to replace Butler, spend a month recruiting and be well behind the curve sorting out our summer business.

It’s not in anyone’s interest for the club to be flirting with L2 next season, not the fans, owners or the staff who’s jobs may be on the line.

Expecting just to be able to bring in 6 more loans, shuffle the players that are out of contract and likely to leave, rebuild the confidence of players that have had a torrid end to the season and build a new team to hit the ground running at the start of next season is a massive ask. The next 6 weeks are vital to next season, let’s hope Gavin realises that.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
It was a gamble to appoint Butler, presumably on the grounds of continuity and some semblance of having a Plan B at short notice. It hasn’t worked out but the board did move quickly and you have to maybe cut them some slack.

However, what cannot be forgiven is fannying around now. We have a massive job on our hands this summer but we have time to start this process now and probably a decent degree of certainty that we are not going to be troubling the play offs. The preparation needs to start now in early April so we have a solution lined up even if not announced, come the end of the season.

Given all the upheaval this summer will bring, we cannot be starting this process next month and concluding in June. That really would be unforgivable.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Yep thats why double relegations happen and Sheff Utd were nailed on for relegation the way they finished last season. Momentum and confidence is everything in football.

silent majority

• VSC Member
I think it would be short sighted of our supporters to think that the club are not aware of their current options.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Again, looking on the brighter side, we are in control of the timetable here. Both Ferguson and McCann walked away in June, which was disastrous timing. We can get the right guy in now during early to mid May if we want. This is going to be essential for tying down any of the out of contract players we want to retain. Nobody is going to be signing a new deal until they know who they are playing for.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
I think it would be short sighted of our supporters to think that the club are not aware of their current options.

I am sure they are and I still have some faith. I can absolutely see why fans are asking some questions right now though.  It's been a turbulent through seasons, the strategy of the number of loan and short term signings is questionable. Players have been sold, managers left and there isn't much really said about the current position.  So it is very much understanding that a touch of apathy has set in. 

I am not sure it's fair to stick the boot in like.some have, equally I can see why questions are being posed as it's not a good position right now.  If you looked at drfc from.an external point you'd be questioning what the hell is going on.with much uncertainty.  A very big 6 weeks ahead I feel.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
We don’t need to change much at all, but we do need to change.

Loan players are great, but let’s have a smaller number and have them regularly involved adding value, rather than padding out the squad. The ‘try before you buy’ model isn’t working. Only John has signed. We have missed out on the vast majority of those we have loaned.

We could probably push the boat out with at least a a few long term deals for consistently high performers, not least so we get value in a Whiteman sale situation. An example is I think we gave Anderson a two year extension. Why not three? Nothing massive but that added layer of security.

The loans cannot be keepers. This serves no purpose at all. They have been good but not great and any benefit is outweighed by the disruption. Our new defence needs to have a good solid keeper investment.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member

Loan players are great, but let’s have a smaller number and have them regularly involved adding value, rather than padding out the squad. The ‘try before you buy’ model isn’t working. Only John has signed. We have missed out on the vast majority of those we have loaned.

We could probably push the boat out with at least a a few long term deals for consistently high performers, not least so we get value in a Whiteman sale situation. An example is I think we gave Anderson a two year extension. Why not three? Nothing massive but that added layer of security.

The loans cannot be keepers. This serves no purpose at all. They have been good but not great and any benefit is outweighed by the disruption. Our new defence needs to have a good solid keeper investment.
what about signing the likes of Sharp, Whiteman, Anderson, Rowe, Alcock, Lokilo probably others aswell.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on April 06, 2021, 01:26:36 pm by ravenrover »
My guess is that AB will be invited to apply for the job for next season when it is advertised. Who actually gets the job will be down to which other applicants put themselves forward. The Board have seen how things have developed, they are not stupid. My guess is we will have a new man at the helm for pre-season whether man is AB we need to wait and see

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member

what about signing the likes of Sharp, Whiteman, Anderson, Rowe, Alcock, Lokilo probably others aswell.

Sharp had played over 150 league games when we signed him. Alcock 200. Anderson was 25 and had been on loan eight times. Rowe was 28 and had played nearly 300 league games. Our current model is to 'try before you buy' with very young and unproven players from the Premier League. Very different.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 08, 2021, 01:22:15 pm by redarmy82 »

Sharp had played over 150 league games when we signed him. Alcock 200. Anderson was 25 and had been on loan eight times. Rowe was 28 and had played nearly 300 league games. Our current model is to 'try before you buy' with very young and unproven players from the Premier League. Very different.

Exactly this.

About time we went back to the previous model.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012