Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:46:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New manager?  (Read 8644 times)

Maps

• Forum Member
Re: New manager?
« Reply #60 on April 07, 2021, 10:54:06 pm by Maps »
I doubt it would have made any real difference. It's same as when a politician is told to get new advisers because their decisions are shit. You appoint a manager to do the job, not his assistant. Granted it would make his life a bit easier to have an assistant, but the decisions are still being made by the main man. It's not really that relevant.

Of course the final decision is always the Managers, but the right Assistant offers much needed support, a fresh pair of eyes perhaps, a different take and alternative ideas, they can complement the Manager's skills, act as a sounding board, offer advice, approach personnel issues from a different angle perhaps? Useful for any Manager, especially one who is new to the job and the pressures it brings.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on April 07, 2021, 11:00:43 pm by silent majority »
Question for SM, would we ever approach a manger currently in work at another club ?

No, it’s not our style, doesn’t fit with our process.

I realise that answer won’t suit everybody on this forum, but we have our standards and it makes us the club we are, respected in the game.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on April 07, 2021, 11:22:16 pm by BobG »
I doubt it would have made any real difference. It's same as when a politician is told to get new advisers because their decisions are shit. You appoint a manager to do the job, not his assistant. Granted it would make his life a bit easier to have an assistant, but the decisions are still being made by the main man. It's not really that relevant.

Of course the final decision is always the Managers, but the right Assistant offers much needed support, a fresh pair of eyes perhaps, a different take and alternative ideas, they can complement the Manager's skills, act as a sounding board, offer advice, approach personnel issues from a different angle perhaps? Useful for any Manager, especially one who is new to the job and the pressures it brings.

I thought that was what Copps, and indeed other senior players, were doing?

BobG

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on April 07, 2021, 11:30:44 pm by Retdon1 »
Question for SM, would we ever approach a manger currently in work at another club ?

I realise that answer won’t suit everybody on this forum, but we have our standards and it makes us the club we are, respected in the game.

You could argue that being a “nice respected club” Is part of the reason we’re still a mid table league 1 team... we must be one of the only clubs in the country that adopt this policy. It’s time we became more ruthless on and off the pitch

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on April 07, 2021, 11:44:40 pm by silent majority »

You could argue that being a “nice respected club” Is part of the reason we’re still a mid table league 1 team... we must be one of the only clubs in the country that adopt this policy. It’s time we became more ruthless on and off the pitch

You could also argue the opposite, that because we're well respected we get manager applications of the highest calibre, get loan players from good clubs, can negotiate good transfer deals and loan requirements. Players want to come here, any vacancy attracts hundreds of applications, we win awards for our approach to the community and fan engagement. We stand out from the crowd in our own way.

Were not really a mid table club though are we? Do you really think that poaching a manager from another club is the answer?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on April 08, 2021, 06:58:19 am by Chris Black come back »
It could be though, that a manager currently in a job could apply to our process, and we could in that scenario if he was the best candidate, still employ him? ie we don’t only accept applications from out of work managers.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on April 08, 2021, 07:55:20 am by godlike1 »

You could also argue the opposite, that because we're well respected we get manager applications of the highest calibre, get loan players from good clubs, can negotiate good transfer deals and loan requirements. Players want to come here, any vacancy attracts hundreds of applications, we win awards for our approach to the community and fan engagement. We stand out from the crowd in our own way.

Were not really a mid table club though are we? Do you really think that poaching a manager from another club is the answer?

But is it managing to get the club progressed and promoted?

Whilst the community aspect and awards are something I'm proud of as a lifelong fan, the black and white of it all in football is that fans judge success by what happens on the football pitch and results.

Promotion brings more fans, more money, more prosperity to the town etc.

I do think they need to look at themselves as managers clearly see us as a stepping stone, which is fine in one way and understood but also massively damaging on the playing front if they bugger off at a moments notice.

I'd have more respect for the board if they could admit that they need a change of strategy be it approaching a club for a manager. If done in the right way there is no reason why it would harm our clubs reputation and if anything would show that they are still looking to choose the most talented people in the pool they have to go from. Plus is this Burnley strategy working?

They need to be honest with AB and say its clearly not working and start the application/poaching process now

Be proactive, on the front foot and not having to react all the time.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on April 08, 2021, 08:12:23 am by vaya »

Whilst the community aspect and awards are something I'm proud of as a lifelong fan, the black and white of it all in football is that fans judge success by what happens on the football pitch and results.

I do think they need to look at themselves as managers clearly see us as a stepping stone, which is fine in one way and understood but also massively damaging on the playing front if they bugger off at a moments notice.

I'd have more respect for the board if they could admit that they need a change of strategy be it approaching a club for a manager. If done in the right way there is no reason why it would harm our clubs reputation and if anything would show that they are still looking to choose the most talented people in the pool they have to go from. Plus is this Burnley strategy working?

They need to be honest with AB and say its clearly not working and start the application/poaching process now

They were proactive in immediately appointing Butler.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on April 08, 2021, 08:13:58 am by vaya »
It could be though, that a manager currently in a job could apply to our process, and we could in that scenario if he was the best candidate, still employ him? ie we don’t only accept applications from out of work managers.

I'm sure that anyone currently in a job and attracted to the Rovers position would have the wherewithal to find a way of applying for the position.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on April 08, 2021, 08:21:23 am by EasyforDennis »

Agree 100% especially with regard to paragraph 4. There is a parallel with managers using us as a stepping stone and having players on loan for them to progress their careers for someone else's benefit.
The best manager we have had in many years did not go through the the long process of having to apply for the job and then various interviews. John Ryan knew who he wanted and went and got him. SOD!!

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on April 08, 2021, 08:53:02 am by vaya »

Agree 100% especially with regard to paragraph 4. There is a parallel with managers using us as a stepping stone and having players on loan for them to progress their careers for someone else's benefit.
The best manager we have had in many years did not go through the the long process of having to apply for the job and then various interviews. John Ryan knew who he wanted and went and got him. SOD!!

Equally, the last two managers to be appointed without going through an application process were Butler and Dickov, the latter appointed on the basis of proximity rather than ability.

Maps

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on April 08, 2021, 08:58:08 am by Maps »

BobG

Not the same. For me, the assistant needs to be outwith the first team playing personnel. Especially as Butler came straight out of the squad. Needs that detachment, in my opinion.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on April 08, 2021, 09:44:13 am by EasyforDennis »

Equally, the last two managers to be appointed without going through an application process were Butler and Dickov, the latter appointed on the basis of proximity rather than ability.

I would say Butler is more of a stand in manager as he only been given the job until the end of the season.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on April 08, 2021, 10:22:12 am by eastender »

I agree with all of that , it's just a shame that we can't get 11 player's that want to play as a team at present.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on April 08, 2021, 10:29:31 am by idler »
We accused Grant McCann and Darren Moore of treachery and then try to use the same means to attract a manager ourselves? That is hypocrisy unless it is done in the right way.
I would imagine we would them expect undying loyalty from the man we have poached.
Managers moving upwards like players do is a way of life. I have no issue about McCann or Moore improving their lot but it’s the way they left the club that hurts and maybe reflects on their characters somewhat.
I think that our three options for a new manager are, one that might have managed at a higher level but is out of work, a manager from a lower placed team that sees us as a step up or a rookie manager starting out after a long playing career with the relevant coaching qualifications.
What we can offer any new manager as a club is stability, no interference from the board and great ground and training ground facilities.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on April 08, 2021, 10:37:08 am by normal rules »
We accused Grant McCann and Darren Moore of treachery and then try to use the same means to attract a manager ourselves? That is hypocrisy unless it is done in the right way.
I would imagine we would them expect undying loyalty from the man we have poached.
Managers moving upwards like players do is a way of life. I have no issue about McCann or Moore improving their lot but it’s the way they left the club that hurts and maybe reflects on their characters somewhat.
I think that our three options for a new manager are, one that might have managed at a higher level but is out of work, a manager from a lower placed team that sees us as a step up or a rookie manager starting out after a long playing career with the relevant coaching qualifications.
What we can offer any new manager as a club is stability, no interference from the board and great ground and training ground facilities.

The manner in which DM left the club reflects not only on him, but his agent also. Don’t forget, agents are a very integral, and often driving force behind these moves.

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on April 08, 2021, 10:47:41 am by Getridorit »

Dickov was part of a shortlist and a lengthy interview process.

CoppsChop

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on April 08, 2021, 10:52:28 am by CoppsChop »
Dickov was mates with John Ryan.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on April 08, 2021, 11:13:31 am by Metalmicky »

I agree with your point on McCann & Moore - we weren't given the same degree of respect by this two - but we shouldn't lower ourselves.  Fair enough that they left to 'better' themselves - but it's the manner that irks most folk.
I think our new manager options will be many and varied - there are always managers on the conveyor belt and I am sure we will find a new man (or woman... that would shock a few on here.. :ohmy: :lol:!!)  who meets the criteria set out by the board.... let's be honest, they have a pretty good track record.  We shouldn't forget that the reason we have been left manager-less twice in recent times was because the manager's were doing well.

Getridorit

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on April 08, 2021, 11:22:57 am by Getridorit »
Allegedly. More like neighbours.

He was still part of a shortlist and lengthy interview process.
There was a lengthy list of attributes published on dros that the candidate should have possessed.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on April 08, 2021, 01:23:27 pm by the vicar »
The man must have had a silver tongue to get the job

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on April 08, 2021, 01:58:51 pm by BobG »

BobG

Not the same. For me, the assistant needs to be outwith the first team playing personnel. Especially as Butler came straight out of the squad. Needs that detachment, in my opinion.

Thanks Maps. There is an argument for 'independance' though in the context of a team squad I'm not sure how independant an assistant manager can be from either his boss or his squad - with both of whom he lives cheek by jowel on a daily basis. But if you don't agree that Copps and the senior players can offer, and I quote "much needed support, a fresh pair of eyes perhaps, a different take and alternative ideas, they can complement the Manager's skills, act as a sounding board, offer advice, approach personnel issues from a different angle perhaps more specifically", then what is their role in th current set up supposed to be please?

Cheers

BobG

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on April 08, 2021, 04:53:06 pm by NickDRFC »
Bob, if it’s that unnecessary why does any club have an assistant manager? Why doesn’t every club just use their senior players for that?

I’d rather our players concentrated on playing and our coaches concentrated on coaching.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on April 08, 2021, 05:14:05 pm by Bessie Red »
Wasnt he is next door neighbour also, or have I imagined that?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on April 08, 2021, 05:22:48 pm by PDX_Rover »

Dickov was part of a shortlist and a lengthy interview process.

Absolute b*llocks.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on April 08, 2021, 05:28:38 pm by BobG »
Bob, if it’s that unnecessary why does any club have an assistant manager? Why doesn’t every club just use their senior players for that?

I’d rather our players concentrated on playing and our coaches concentrated on coaching.

Nick. I'm in favour of an Assistant Manager too. But the information that was released was that the senior players would handle things. What got me curious was just what Maps thinks they are doing if it is not "much needed support, a fresh pair of eyes perhaps, a different take and alternative ideas, they can complement the Manager's skills, act as a sounding board, offer advice, approach personnel issues from a different angle perhaps more specifically".

Cheers

BobG

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on April 08, 2021, 06:12:19 pm by Janso »
Allegedly. More like neighbours.

He was still part of a shortlist and lengthy interview process.
There was a lengthy list of attributes published on dros that the candidate should have possessed.

If Brian Flynn's to be believed, he was basically told Dickov was getting it with a few games to go regardless of how the season ended.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on April 08, 2021, 06:18:10 pm by selby »
  The main thing we need is a team of players who want to play for the shirt and club and have some pride in their own performances, and I want Butler although limited in numbers to be ruthless and sort some of them out, if they don't want to play for us don't play them I can stick a team of tryers like Greaves, Horton and Amos a lot more than players who think they are too good to perform for me and our club.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 06:25:54 pm by selby »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on April 08, 2021, 06:39:50 pm by dickos1 »
Making an official approach for a manager isn’t the same as poaching a manager.
It’s how football works and it’s how you get good managers, if you only ever appoint out of work managers then you’re setting yourself up for a fall.
The most successful period in recent times was all down to making an official approach for a manager

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on April 08, 2021, 06:53:48 pm by ravenrover »
So employing the likes of Howe, Wenger or Wilder etc by a club is setting themselves up for a fall????
By the way we wont be offering either of them the job just to get that out of the way

TinyPortal © 2005-2012