Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:24:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New manager?  (Read 8646 times)

Getridorit

• Forum Member
Re: New manager?
« Reply #90 on April 08, 2021, 07:14:13 pm by Getridorit »
Question for SM, would we ever approach a manger currently in work at another club ?

No, it’s not our style, doesn’t fit with our process.

I realise that answer won’t suit everybody on this forum, but we have our standards and it makes us the club we are, respected in the game.

You could argue that being a “nice respected club” Is part of the reason we’re still a mid table league 1 team... we must be one of the only clubs in the country that adopt this policy. It’s time we became more ruthless on and off the pitch

You could also argue the opposite, that because we're well respected we get manager applications of the highest calibre, get loan players from good clubs, can negotiate good transfer deals and loan requirements. Players want to come here, any vacancy attracts hundreds of applications, we win awards for our approach to the community and fan engagement. We stand out from the crowd in our own way.

Were not really a mid table club though are we? Do you really think that poaching a manager from another club is the answer?

But is it managing to get the club progressed and promoted?

Whilst the community aspect and awards are something I'm proud of as a lifelong fan, the black and white of it all in football is that fans judge success by what happens on the football pitch and results.

Promotion brings more fans, more money, more prosperity to the town etc.

I do think they need to look at themselves as managers clearly see us as a stepping stone, which is fine in one way and understood but also massively damaging on the playing front if they bugger off at a moments notice.

I'd have more respect for the board if they could admit that they need a change of strategy be it approaching a club for a manager. If done in the right way there is no reason why it would harm our clubs reputation and if anything would show that they are still looking to choose the most talented people in the pool they have to go from. Plus is this Burnley strategy working?

They need to be honest with AB and say its clearly not working and start the application/poaching process now

Be proactive, on the front foot and not having to react all the time.

Agree 100% especially with regard to paragraph 4. There is a parallel with managers using us as a stepping stone and having players on loan for them to progress their careers for someone else's benefit.
The best manager we have had in many years did not go through the the long process of having to apply for the job and then various interviews. John Ryan knew who he wanted and went and got him. SOD!!

Equally, the last two managers to be appointed without going through an application process were Butler and Dickov, the latter appointed on the basis of proximity rather than ability.
Dickov was part of a shortlist and a lengthy interview process.

Absolute b*llocks.
Only person talking b*llocks is YOU.

Here ya go, it also mentions the 18point criteria I said earlier

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2013/may/paul-dickov-confirmed-as-manager/

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on April 08, 2021, 07:18:43 pm by dickos1 »
So employing the likes of Howe, Wenger or Wilder etc by a club is setting themselves up for a fall????
By the way we wont be offering either of them the job just to get that out of the way

There’s quite a difference between out of work premier league managers and out of work league one managers.
It’s a policy that all it does is make things more difficult for yourself.
We should be employing the best manager we can get regardless of if they’re in a job or not as we did with sod

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on April 08, 2021, 07:38:34 pm by PDX_Rover »
Question for SM, would we ever approach a manger currently in work at another club ?

I realise that answer won’t suit everybody on this forum, but we have our standards and it makes us the club we are, respected in the game.

You could argue that being a “nice respected club” Is part of the reason we’re still a mid table league 1 team... we must be one of the only clubs in the country that adopt this policy. It’s time we became more ruthless on and off the pitch

You could also argue the opposite, that because we're well respected we get manager applications of the highest calibre, get loan players from good clubs, can negotiate good transfer deals and loan requirements. Players want to come here, any vacancy attracts hundreds of applications, we win awards for our approach to the community and fan engagement. We stand out from the crowd in our own way.

Were not really a mid table club though are we? Do you really think that poaching a manager from another club is the answer?

Whilst the community aspect and awards are something I'm proud of as a lifelong fan, the black and white of it all in football is that fans judge success by what happens on the football pitch and results.

I do think they need to look at themselves as managers clearly see us as a stepping stone, which is fine in one way and understood but also massively damaging on the playing front if they bugger off at a moments notice.

I'd have more respect for the board if they could admit that they need a change of strategy be it approaching a club for a manager. If done in the right way there is no reason why it would harm our clubs reputation and if anything would show that they are still looking to choose the most talented people in the pool they have to go from. Plus is this Burnley strategy working?

They need to be honest with AB and say its clearly not working and start the application/poaching process now

Agree 100% especially with regard to paragraph 4. There is a parallel with managers using us as a stepping stone and having players on loan for them to progress their careers for someone else's benefit.
The best manager we have had in many years did not go through the the long process of having to apply for the job and then various interviews. John Ryan knew who he wanted and went and got him. SOD!!

Equally, the last two managers to be appointed without going through an application process were Butler and Dickov, the latter appointed on the basis of proximity rather than ability.

Absolute b*llocks.

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2013/may/paul-dickov-confirmed-as-manager/

Oh, ok then.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on April 08, 2021, 08:04:37 pm by Retdon1 »
So employing the likes of Howe, Wenger or Wilder etc by a club is setting themselves up for a fall????
By the way we wont be offering either of them the job just to get that out of the way

There’s quite a difference between out of work premier league managers and out of work league one managers.
It’s a policy that all it does is make things more difficult for yourself.
We should be employing the best manager we can get regardless of if they’re in a job or not as we did with sod

100%. Having a policy where you only employ out of work mangers because we want a reputation of being a “nice club” is bonkers. This is why we need more people who understand football at our club

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on April 08, 2021, 08:07:32 pm by EasyforDennis »

Absolute b*llocks.

Oh, ok then.

Oh dear.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on April 08, 2021, 11:52:07 pm by PDX_Rover »

Absolute b*llocks.

Oh, ok then.

Oh dear.

Naive, at best.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012