Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:11:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Absolute disgrace  (Read 4215 times)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
Re: Absolute disgrace
« Reply #30 on April 10, 2021, 10:51:40 pm by tyke1962 »
I totally respect SM makes a significant contribution to this board and forms a link between club and fan .

There isn't  too many examples of this kind of thing in football today and he should be applauded for popping his head above the parapet at this difficult time for Rovers .

That said from what he says on here I do detect some naivety within Rovers which isn't to say they are complete fools either .

It's a ruthless business .

It's perhaps also worth reminding ourselves of that .

Just saying .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 10, 2021, 10:54:34 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Well I support SM on this one. Let’s just say we “ for once” try to illegally approach a manager. What next, pay ridiculous transfer fees & wages. Let’s get the club into severe financial debt in the forlorn hope of getting to the PL? No, no & no. Of course I’d love to win the vast majority of our games & win the league,but let’s do it right. I’m sure in the background the board will already be thinking ahead to next season & who the manager will be, along with a budget and expectations.
Remember DM ?, he knew his salary, the budget and expectations and he was slaughtered by many ( myself included) for not “ doing things properly”. Our club tries to do things properly & I support that.

Don't think anyone is suggesting that. Approach the club and ask if there as upstanding as we are they won't say no. Then we can talk to the manager.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 10, 2021, 10:59:36 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Sedwardsdrfc point taken. I simply want the club to try and do things properly. It maybe won’t win us trophies, but I’m of an age where I morally support that.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 10, 2021, 11:14:40 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Sedwardsdrfc point taken. I simply want the club to try and do things properly. It maybe won’t win us trophies, but I’m of an age where I morally support that.

Totally agree. If we did what Wednesday have done to us I'd be a bit embarrassed when the club talks about it's values etc

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 10, 2021, 11:17:56 pm by tyke1962 »

The game today isn't something we'd both have voted for back in the day .

However when millions of pounds come in to the game we all want our clubs to be recipients of such revenue .

It is what it is unfortunately .

You can't have Corinthian tentacles in this dog eat dog environment

The success many clubs have is also attributed to putting one foot over that line in one form or another .

To not react to that is debatable .

Personally you do what it takes to be successful .

That's just my opinion and not necessarily a road map .

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on April 11, 2021, 12:07:19 am by idler »
Suppose the club had approached another club and been refused permission to approach the manager.
Would we broadcast the refusal or just quietly go about our business and not rock the boat for another club or manager?
None of us knows what goes off behind closed doors.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on April 11, 2021, 12:19:28 am by dickos1 »
We won’t approach another club though,

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on April 11, 2021, 12:25:41 am by StocksArmy »
This is not about the manager. Pep Guardiloa wouldnt get a tune from this lot. They have well and truly thrown the towel in on the season.

baggie192

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 11, 2021, 02:19:31 pm by baggie192 »
It is time for the owners to stop being nice people.

Who said we're nice?

I dont think anybody's accused DB of being 'nice'.

And I certainly wouldn't want to cross TB.

Martin. i know TB and he is a gentleman.
I was alluding to the fact that we are against approaching managers at other clubs because "we don't do that".
We should be doing it if we think it will improve our circumstances.

It may not be that easy. "we don't do that" says to me it could be "We don't have the funds to do it" it is a balance, what do the fans want larger player budget or pay compo to another club?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 11, 2021, 02:24:22 pm by the vicar »
As the co-commentator said on Ifollow more than once “just not good enough”. No one could argue with that. On fight, no passion clearly the loan players heads have gone since Moore left.
it started before Moor left

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 11, 2021, 03:10:55 pm by Move DRFC »
If we’re so against approaching other clubs to talk to their manager, why do we accept approaches from other clubs when they come knocking?

It’s naive from the board if that’s their stance. I think we’re seeing a real lack of ruthlessness from them at the minute.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 11, 2021, 03:26:06 pm by DonnyOsmond »
If we’re so against approaching other clubs to talk to their manager, why do we accept approaches from other clubs when they come knocking?

It’s naive from the board if that’s their stance. I think we’re seeing a real lack of ruthlessness from them at the minute.

But it's naive keeping someone here who doesn't want to remain here.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 11, 2021, 03:37:30 pm by drfchound »
It is time for the owners to stop being nice people.

Who said we're nice?

I dont think anybody's accused DB of being 'nice'.

And I certainly wouldn't want to cross TB.

Martin. i know TB and he is a gentleman.
I was alluding to the fact that we are against approaching managers at other clubs because "we don't do that".
We should be doing it if we think it will improve our circumstances.

It may not be that easy. "we don't do that" says to me it could be "We don't have the funds to do it" it is a balance, what do the fans want larger player budget or pay compo to another club?

I understand that we received a significant compensation figure from SWFC for Moore so presumably some of that money would be available.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 11, 2021, 03:55:35 pm by the vicar »
I can’t this not going to another club for a manager these days clubs have done it to us, and we have got it wrong all along the lines apart from SOD but I don’t want to go back to him.When I say got it wrong I mean Grunt McCann Furguson Mood walking out on us and even Dickov that was crap. What ever we don’t want to be a stop gap club and we are becoming that

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on April 12, 2021, 10:39:51 am by silent majority »
Some very interesting points being made here.

Maybe I should clarify the exact position and the term 'ruthless' as has been used in this thread.

Do you wish your club owners to be ruthless or shrewd? There's a distinct difference between the two.

Having watched managers come and go at this club over numerous seasons you do learn that you can be one without having to be the other. Going through the front door and announcing your intentions is a noisy way of going about your business, and generally is being done to pacify what you consider is your home support. That's not us.

We have interviewed managers who are employed at other clubs, maybe not always as the team manager but certainly people who are employed within the management team. If a manager wants to come to DRFC that will be made known by either him or his agent, soundings will be made before we get anywhere near an interview stage.

To clarify, what I meant is that we wouldn't be 'stealing managers' away from other clubs. I'm sure any manager who would want to join DRFC would make it known that he wants an interview, its been done that way before. But we certainly wouldn't be approaching anyone who hasn't shown any interest in us, and hope that waving a big fat cheque book will work a minor miracle.

So, no, I don't want us to be ruthless in a dog eat dog world, but I would expect us to be shrewd in achieving what we wish to achieve. And that's a stance I can support.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012