Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:35:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Leave the Belles alone  (Read 2152 times)

BVB

• VSC Member
Leave the Belles alone
« on April 10, 2021, 11:38:01 pm by BVB »
In looking to highlight AB’s lack of managerial experience,  some posters have used derogatory terms towards the Belles in order to try and reinforce their argument.

For example, the Belles have been described as “the girls team”, “Sunday League womens’ team”, or even “womens’ Sunday School team”.

By all means point out that managing Rovers is a world away from managing the Belles, but there’s no need to insult the Belles at the same time, be it unintentional or even intentional.

It just demonstrates a gender bias and a gross ignorance of the Belles and womens’ football in general on the part of those posters.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Leave the Belles alone
« Reply #1 on April 11, 2021, 12:03:00 am by silent majority »
Agreed!!

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 11, 2021, 12:11:54 am by Draytonian III »
Well said

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 11, 2021, 12:21:29 am by RoversAlias »
Spot on BVB. All Rovers fans should want to see the Belles succeed.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 11, 2021, 07:23:28 am by roverstillidie91 »
Couldn't have written it any better myself.

Just shows some of the misogynistic attitude that clearly exists.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 07:26:27 am by roverstillidie91 »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 11, 2021, 09:03:53 am by the vicar »
In looking to highlight AB’s lack of managerial experience,  some posters have used derogatory terms towards the Belles in order to try and reinforce their argument.

For example, the Belles have been described as “the girls team”, “Sunday League womens’ team”, or even “womens’ Sunday School team”.

By all means point out that managing Rovers is a world away from managing the Belles, but there’s no need to insult the Belles at the same time, be it unintentional or even intentional.

It just demonstrates a gender bias and a gross ignorance of the Belles and womens’ football in general on the part of those posters.

well what are they they aren’t a dots team or am I wrong

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 11, 2021, 09:32:03 am by idler »
Anyone proud of their home town of Doncaster should want all teams and bodies associated with the town to do well.
In the past I was always happy to see the Dons,Knights,Panthers and Hockey teams doing well at various times. I always checked their progress even if I never followed them at their home venues apart from the Rovers regularly and the very odd Dons game. It's a no brainier for me.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 11, 2021, 09:45:11 am by GazLaz »
Am I right in thinking the Belles are in the 4th tier of women’s football now? That seems a shame. I know the funds needed to even be allowed to compete in the WSL are out of our range but the 4th tier seems low to me.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 11, 2021, 09:50:45 am by Michael Shaw »
I wasn't intending to post anymore on this site because I have no longer have any interest in Rovers this season, but well done, BVB, you are spot on. The ladies team were once outstanding and might be again.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 11, 2021, 09:57:00 am by Filo »
I don’t think anyone is having a go at the Belles, it’s more a comparison of the standard of Football between Womens Tier 4 football and Mens Tier 3 football, linked to AB’s experience, they are a million miles apart

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 11, 2021, 10:30:11 am by Jonathan »
I don’t think anyone is having a go at the Belles, it’s more a comparison of the standard of Football between Womens Tier 4 football and Mens Tier 3 football, linked to AB’s experience, they are a million miles apart

There have been some very disrespectful comments as alluded to in the opening post. Either you haven’t seen them, or you don’t recognise how insulting they come across.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 11, 2021, 10:34:58 am by Muttley »

well what are they they aren’t a dots team or am I wrong

Well done for proving the last sentence in the original post.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 11, 2021, 10:57:09 am by NickDRFC »

There have been some very disrespectful comments as alluded to in the opening post. Either you haven’t seen them, or you don’t recognise how insulting they come across.

Exactly this, there’s a difference between commenting on the difference between managing the two teams and the way a lot of the comments have been derisory or dismissive.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 11, 2021, 10:58:28 am by the vicar »
And have you never gone to work and said to the lady’s at work, good morning girls I think most have to be truthful it is not having a pop at them

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 11, 2021, 11:27:17 am by MachoMadness »
Well said BVB. Spot on.

Strangely enough I seem to remember that when Neil Redfearn was doing well with the Belles his name came up here more than once...

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 11, 2021, 11:35:54 am by dickos1 »
Redfearn had plenty of experience coaching and managing football teams in the football league

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 11, 2021, 11:55:15 am by SydneyRover »
well said BVB, totally unnecessary

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 11, 2021, 02:07:03 pm by RoversAlias »
And have you never gone to work and said to the lady’s at work, good morning girls I think most have to be truthful it is not having a pop at them

What are you on about? Seriously?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 11, 2021, 02:55:43 pm by the vicar »
Saying girls and not lady’s or women what is wrong with that

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 11, 2021, 09:00:57 pm by BVB »
Right then Vicar, just for you:

It’s all about context. If I’m out for a night with the girls, that’s fine in context. We are all girls together having a good time “come on girls” etc.
If I make a comment about a (well-respected and historic) womens’ football club in a way that slurs those women in order to show my displeasure at Rovers appointing their inexperienced manager by calling them e.g “the girls team”, or the other examples I provided earlier such as “Sunday School” team, then that is well out of context, factually incorrect and grossly unfair on the women in question- I am demeaning the Belles in order to try and prove my point. Even though I have absolutely no idea about the Belles, who they are, never met any of them, don’t know what they look like, how they play etc,  I am still using them for my argument in order to get at Rovers/ Butler.
And that, Vicar, (and you too Mr Gibson) is what is not acceptable.

Unless of course I was referring to the Belles U16, U14 or U10 squads, as they are actually girls.

I hope this helps you understand better, but having read your comment today on another thread telling a poster to “calm down is it that time of the month”, I’m not expecting much from you in return.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 11, 2021, 09:19:00 pm by the vicar »
I totally understand.  I have spoken to my neighbours ether side, my wife, my daughter in law and other women today, but not one can see a problem with what I have put and they can not understand the problem that has been put so I’m sorry if it upset you, but it was not meant in anyway a derogatory turn by me

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 11, 2021, 11:29:21 pm by BVB »
Without labouring this thread  I actually agree with you - you weren’t trying to be derogatory, just in your own way trying to understand what the problem caused by some other ignorant posters was.

So I’ll leave you with this last attempt, which you can try on your neighbours etc:

“I think the board and Butler aren’t good enough because they have appointed a bloke who has only managed a club who - by the way  I know absolutely nothing about so I’m hardly in a position to make a comment about them but f@@k it I will anyway because I’m
angry who cares - Butler has only managed this joke club, and to make it even worse, the players at this joke club, all I do know is.....
THEY’RE NOT EVEN MEN!”

Now pretend to be a Belle - or even a rational human being of whatever persuasion  - and tell me you wouldn’t be a little pi$$ed off by that attitude. Just not needed is it?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 12, 2021, 08:13:16 am by the vicar »
We all say things that don’t sound right to others, but there you are over and done. I don’t blame Butts cos he can only do his best for the blue, the fans, and the board and I think he has tried to do that, I blame the board for giving him the job till f the end of the season, so it is them to blame.  I can’t see why people on here and Facebook shooting Butts down ant all the things that they are saying about him. To me he is one of our own and he is a legend to me anyway.  He is trying to do a Job to the best he can

TinyPortal © 2005-2012