Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:16:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Manager search  (Read 25927 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: New Manager search
« Reply #300 on April 17, 2021, 07:50:47 am by dickos1 »
Absolute curveball here; Guerino Capretti. He manages Verl in the German 3rd division, they had previously been a middling non league team, two seasons as manager, 2 promotions, now they sit 6th, but have scored the most goals.
Apropos of nothing, but it's not the merry go round, and random foreign managers seems to be working out at Oakwell.
  My curve ball would be Temur Ketsbaia. Improved Georgia when he was manager and seems to have done well elsewhere.  My top pick however would be Brian McDermott.

McDermott not managed anywhere for 5 years

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #301 on April 17, 2021, 08:10:21 am by 5minstogo »
I really think we should be banging Stendel’s door down to make it happen. I think he would get the time and love to make something happen.

Vorsprung Durch Technik!

Me too
Question for sm , would the board approach stendel ,even if he hasn't applied,, show some interest in that he would be a good candidate?  Especially if he is without a club?
He sounds like the best match by far and sell the dream that he has time to build a great squad.

If he doesn't apply then surely he isn't interested?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #302 on April 17, 2021, 08:16:35 am by River Don »
I really think we should be banging Stendel’s door down to make it happen. I think he would get the time and love to make something happen.

Vorsprung Durch Technik!

Me too
Question for sm , would the board approach stendel ,even if he hasn't applied,, show some interest in that he would be a good candidate?  Especially if he is without a club?
He sounds like the best match by far and sell the dream that he has time to build a great squad.

That maybe true but then again perhaps he's not aware of how we do things at Rovers? I can't help thinking the setup here would suit him down to the ground.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #303 on April 17, 2021, 08:46:22 am by swintonrover »
Rovers at the minute would be a dream job as a a manager, particularly if you cared more about your CV than money.

Blank canvas squad wise, board that gives you time to do whatever you want, top half league 1 budget, and a fan base(generally) without the entitlement of the ex Prem clubs.

I fully believe that Stendel would buy into that.

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #304 on April 17, 2021, 09:10:40 am by redbrez »

Vorsprung Durch Technik!

Me too

We haven't had much luck in the managers that was interested?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #305 on April 17, 2021, 10:14:10 am by Campsall rover »
Tyke has done a great selling job on me regarding Stendel.

I hope he is on our boards radar and they would be pro active in trying to get him ( or at the very least get him to the interview stage ) if he has not actually applied for the job.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 08:38:37 pm by Campsall rover »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #306 on April 17, 2021, 11:19:13 am by GazLaz »
The w**kfest over Stendel is an odd one. Pretty much zero chance of getting him and people only know him because he did a good job at a local club.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #307 on April 17, 2021, 12:50:56 pm by tyke1962 »
Tyke has done a great selling job on me regarding Stendel.

I hope he is on our boards radar and they would be pro active in trying to get him
( or at least get him to the interview stage ) if he hasn’t actually applied for the job.

I think It's worth pointing out Campsall that whilst I've given Daniel the big drum roll he needs the right players to ensure his style of play works .

The two full backs , midfield and forwards have to be monumentally fit , athletic and dynamic , you cannot carry anyone with this style of play .

It's front foot football ,
play in your opponents half , as soon as the ball is turned over the players hunt in packs to win it back very quickly , there's no place for shirkers .

It can be overcome if your opponents can play through it , there aren't too many in league one who possess that kind of ability .

There was only one team who did that to us and that was Rovers in the 1-1 draw at Oakwell in the entire season .

As I say mate , Daniel Stendel alone is only half the deal because he needs the right players to make it work .

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #308 on April 17, 2021, 01:19:23 pm by tyke1962 »
Just to add that when it was announced Daniel had got the Barnsley HC job we knew what we were getting with his style of play .

The big question was some of the players we had and doubts were expressed whether they'd be capable of playing this way .

On the face of it Cavare , Thiam , PInillos ,  Mowatt and Kieffer Moore didn't seem to us to have the capabilities for this style at all .

Clearly they bought in to it so it is possible that Daniel's methods can be transferred to a group who possibly play a very different way at the moment .

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #309 on April 17, 2021, 03:54:42 pm by DonnyOsmond »
If we get into the play offs who'd be the manager then? A new guy or let Butler finish what he started? :laugh:

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #310 on April 17, 2021, 04:04:14 pm by godlike1 »
Just to add that when it was announced Daniel had got the Barnsley HC job we knew what we were getting with his style of play .

The big question was some of the players we had and doubts were expressed whether they'd be capable of playing this way .

On the face of it Cavare , Thiam , PInillos ,  Mowatt and Kieffer Moore didn't seem to us to have the capabilities for this style at all .

Clearly they bought in to it so it is possible that Daniel's methods can be transferred to a group who possibly play a very different way at the moment .

Is he a long term manager out of interest? If and its a bug if, he did get the job and got rovers up. Does his style suit the championship? I'm not convinced it does

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #311 on April 17, 2021, 04:07:35 pm by River Don »

Is he a long term manager out of interest? If and its a bug if, he did get the job and got rovers up. Does his style suit the championship? I'm not convinced it does

He's from the same school as Klopp. I'd say with the right personnel there is every chance it would work in the Championship.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #312 on April 17, 2021, 07:46:36 pm by tyke1962 »

Even though Daniel , Struber and Val play high press football all three go about it in different ways .

It is a very adaptable style of play and can be adjusted to meet the demands that face you .

Val plays a very high defensive line for instance bordering on insanity  , Daniel and Struber did not but all three have done remarkably well none the less .

As ever in football , recruitment is king to meet the demands .

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #313 on April 17, 2021, 08:07:20 pm by PDX_Rover »
The w**kfest over Stendel is an odd one. Pretty much zero chance of getting him and people only know him because he did a good job at a local club.

And you know this how, exactly?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #314 on April 18, 2021, 09:13:16 am by Metalmicky »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #315 on April 18, 2021, 10:11:08 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Flick off!

Dan Coster

• Forum Member
« Reply #316 on April 18, 2021, 10:14:51 am by Dan Coster »
  Not sure we could afford Herr Flick, But how about his assistant Von smallhausen?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:18:56 am by Dan Coster »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #317 on April 18, 2021, 12:00:59 pm by tyke1962 »
Heard this morning  that Hecky is heavily linked to take the England under 21 job .

Don't know how true it is mind but that's what I've been told .

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #318 on April 18, 2021, 10:10:12 pm by DRNaith »
I'm not saying whether I'd be in favour of this or not, but I've always had the feeling that Warnock would manage us at some point. He's spoken highly of Rovers, in the past, but at 72 and currently at a club, time is running out.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #319 on April 20, 2021, 08:25:40 am by DRNaith »
We'll, that's it, the deadline has passed.

On to the next phase of the process  :bscarf:

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #320 on April 20, 2021, 10:02:05 am by GazLaz »
Think we will start seeing bits of movement in the betting markets now. We should get a bit of an idea of the shortlist.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #321 on April 20, 2021, 10:17:54 am by silent majority »
The weeding out starts today. The interview list will be drawn up on Friday.

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #322 on April 25, 2021, 06:48:00 pm by northern soul »
Can anyone point me in the direction of the latest odds? Would be interested to see.

Nick - link is here
https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/27451623

Updated

Paul Heckingbottom
10/11
Richie Wellens
7/2
George Boateng
7/1
Micky Mellon
10/1
Phil Parkinson
12/1
James Coppinger
16/1
Keith Curle
20/1
Nicky Butt
20/1
Uwe Rosler
20/1
Andy Butler
25/1

Update as of now.
Not much change.

Paul Heckingbottom
10/11
Richie Wellens
7/2
George Boateng
7/1
Micky Mellon
10/1
Phil Parkinson
12/1
Chris Coleman
16/1
James Coppinger
16/1
Uwe Rosler
16/1
Aidy Boothroyd
20/1
Derek McInnes
20/1
Nicky Butt
20/1
Andy Butler
25/1
Daniel Stendel
25/1
Keith Curle
25/1
Paul Tisdale
25/1
Bernard Morley & Anthony Johnson
33/1
Curtis Woodhouse
33/1
Neil Harris
33/1
Neil Lennon
33/1
Roy Keane
33/1
Sean O'Driscoll
33/1
Frank Lampard
40/1
Garry Monk
40/1
Ian Holloway
40/1
John Terry
40/1
Mike Newell
40/1
Phil Brown
40/1

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #323 on April 25, 2021, 08:15:50 pm by jamesrover17 »
Jesus, George Boateng still lurking, hopefully that has just come from some daft betting

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #324 on April 25, 2021, 08:23:29 pm by 5minstogo »
Money has come in on Coleman this week and Rosler over the weekend

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #325 on April 25, 2021, 08:31:44 pm by Jonathan »
Jesus, George Boateng still lurking, hopefully that has just come from some daft betting

Not sure why that would be a disaster? A wildcard for sure, given lack of managerial experience, but a good playing career and he’s been coaching Aston Villa youth - presumably with some success looking at the likes of Ramsey.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #326 on April 25, 2021, 08:58:14 pm by Janso »
McCann was a bit of a random one and he didn't turn out too bad.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #327 on April 25, 2021, 09:12:09 pm by ravenrover »
Coleman?? Listeened to him as a pundit the other night, paint drying seemed more interesting

streathamdave

• Forum Member
« Reply #328 on April 26, 2021, 07:04:41 pm by streathamdave »
Absolute curveball here; Guerino Capretti. He manages Verl in the German 3rd division, they had previously been a middling non league team, two seasons as manager, 2 promotions, now they sit 6th, but have scored the most goals.
Apropos of nothing, but it's not the merry go round, and random foreign managers seems to be working out at Oakwell.
  My curve ball would be Temur Ketsbaia. Improved Georgia when he was manager and seems to have done well elsewhere.  My top pick however would be Brian McDermott.

McDermott not managed anywhere for 5 years
   McDermott has not managed anyone in that time because he was with Arsenal backroom. Always played it the right way and will have more contacts not less because of his time with them.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012