Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:20:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Manager search  (Read 25832 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: New Manager search
« Reply #60 on April 12, 2021, 08:43:02 pm by silent majority »
With the system Rovers have in place, open for applications rather then headhunting, it's very difficult to guess just who might be in contention.

And as we approach the end of the season there will be sackings, someone completely unexpected might go for it.

Some turn out to be completely out of our league.

SM , are you saying that we have applications from Managers that are too good for us.
If so i find that bizarre.

Yes I am. I don't know if I'm at liberty to share certain names, but you'd be surprised at some household names who've applied in the past only to be ruled out pretty quickly by their wage demands. 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on April 12, 2021, 08:47:10 pm by ChrisBx »
With the system Rovers have in place, open for applications rather then headhunting, it's very difficult to guess just who might be in contention.

And as we approach the end of the season there will be sackings, someone completely unexpected might go for it.

SM , are you saying that we have applications from Managers that are too good for us.

Yes I am. I don't know if I'm at liberty to share certain names, but you'd be surprised at some household names who've applied in the past only to be ruled out pretty quickly by their wage demands.

For no tangible reason, I immediately thought of Sven after reading this.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on April 12, 2021, 08:49:15 pm by the vicar »
Stendel is very unlikely. Tisdale for me I think.
but Tisdale has done nothing since Exeter has he

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on April 12, 2021, 08:49:24 pm by Filo »

Would they be ruled out on an assumption of their demands, or ruled out because we’ve asked their demands?

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on April 12, 2021, 08:51:19 pm by eastender »

How much do they think they are going to get at a Medium size L1 club. :facepalm:

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on April 12, 2021, 08:55:58 pm by dknward2 »
We do the same at the company I work for people put what they expect to get for the job some are really out of touch expecting 5k to 10k a year more than what we pay so that rules them out straight away

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on April 12, 2021, 08:57:12 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Got MK Dons promoted?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on April 12, 2021, 09:01:04 pm by MachoMadness »

Wenger in!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on April 12, 2021, 09:03:07 pm by GazLaz »

We'll have hundreds of applications, we always do.

Some turn out to be completely out of our league, but the identification process weeds them out.

Do Rovers have a footballing philosophy at all?

Is there a style that the club would prefer that might meet a longer term stratergy or a way of playing and approach that wouldn't be acceptable?

There can’t be a philosophy because there’s no continuity to recruitment of footballing strategy in place. There’s nobody to set that strategy. It’s always down to the individual managers to run the footballing side of things. That’s the tail wagging the dog.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on April 12, 2021, 09:24:19 pm by MachoMadness »
Hoden implying we shouldn't rule wellens out just yet: https://twitter.com/liamhoden/status/1381703008149508096?s=19

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on April 12, 2021, 09:27:31 pm by eastender »
Wellens will get it.

Brave shout, but no chance.

Liam Hoden hasn't ruled him out.

"I said a few weeks ago that I’d be surprised to see Richie Wellens in any sort of coaching role at Rovers. Now I wouldn’t be as surprised. The door certainly is not closed."

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on April 12, 2021, 09:31:33 pm by Chris Black come back »
That means Wellens will have been on the blower to him saying I am applying.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on April 12, 2021, 09:33:43 pm by Chris Black come back »

Got MK Dons promoted?

He’s got a good record but that stint at Bristol Rovers this season was absolutely shocking.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on April 12, 2021, 09:34:24 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Bookies aren't taking punts yet but I'll be chucking a few quid on Stendel.

Basing that on absolutely nothing other than him being my favourite choice.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on April 12, 2021, 09:46:31 pm by eastender »
 What about Garry Monk out of work since last November, only 42 and has plenty of Yorkshire connections.
He has a lot of experience managing in the Championship and might fancy reigniting his career, maybe we could be a good fit for each other.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on April 12, 2021, 09:51:10 pm by MachoMadness »
What about Garry Monk out of work since last November, only 42 and has plenty of Yorkshire connections.
He has a lot of experience managing in the Championship and might fancy reigniting his career, maybe we could be a good fit for each other.
Absolutely not. Man's failed everywhere he's been and comes across as a right plum. He's almost in the Westley/Evans bracket for me.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on April 12, 2021, 09:53:20 pm by silent majority »
Wellens will get it.

Brave shout, but no chance.

Liam Hoden hasn't ruled him out.

"I said a few weeks ago that I’d be surprised to see Richie Wellens in any sort of coaching role at Rovers. Now I wouldn’t be as surprised. The door certainly is not closed."

Not sure that’s relevant as I’ve already said it’s my personal opinion.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on April 12, 2021, 09:54:00 pm by wilts rover »
Whether our chairman gets on with someone shouldn’t be high up in the criteria

It would be pretty high up in the criteria for a senior management role in every other company.

No chairman is going to appoint someone he doesn't like to a position with the responsibility for this level of spending and performance, anywhere, ever.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on April 12, 2021, 09:55:55 pm by silent majority »

Would they be ruled out on an assumption of their demands, or ruled out because we’ve asked their demands?

Is that a serious question?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on April 12, 2021, 09:58:27 pm by Filo »

Is that a serious question?

Yes, I don’t get why managers would apply when they would almost certainly know they would be out of our league, thats why I asked

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on April 12, 2021, 09:59:36 pm by Danmckay456 »
Possible candidates????

Dean Holden
Neil Harris
Alex neill

Up and coming managers ???

Mark bonner - Cambridge
Michael duff - Cheltenham
Michael Flynn - Newport

I’d be delighted if we went for Gareth ainsworth or John Coleman but I can’t see it

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on April 12, 2021, 10:00:16 pm by Jonathan »
Hopefully the chairman won’t let his personal feelings get in the way of the best interests of the club. There will be many candidates for the job I’m sure, but Wellens ought to be amongst them if he applies. Which I expect he will.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on April 12, 2021, 10:03:42 pm by drfchound »
If we are already dismissing the possibility of Wellens then we truly have gone off the rails .

Why? Do you know him personally better than people who have already had to work with him?

Ask Coppinger. He knows him better than you, he’s worked with him, and he seems to like him.

I didn't know Copps was recruiting the next manager.

Neither is graingerover.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on April 12, 2021, 10:08:51 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Possible candidates????

Dean Holden
Neil Harris
Alex neill

Mark bonner - Cambridge
Michael Flynn - Newport

I’d be delighted if we went for Gareth ainsworth or John Coleman but I can’t see it

Do you have a thing for hoofball?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on April 12, 2021, 10:14:19 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Hopefully the chairman won’t let his personal feelings get in the way of the best interests of the club. There will be many candidates for the job I’m sure, but Wellens ought to be amongst them if he applies. Which I expect he will.

Assume then he does, if I was in on the selection process, I'd want to probe Wellens on why his time ended prematurely at Salford.

Not that we should always believe in gossip but there appears to have been a disagreement on principle there. OK, we understand managers may have footballing principles but you wouldn't want a manager throwing his teddies out of the pram if he doesn't agree with the guidelines laid down by his employers. In any form of work you have to have a certain respect and toe the line on many things.

Would not be wise to assume Wellens is the ideal candidate.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on April 12, 2021, 10:28:14 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Assume then he does, if I was in on the selection process, I'd want to probe Wellens on why his time ended prematurely at Salford.

Not that we should always believe in gossip but there appears to have been a disagreement on principle there. OK, we understand managers may have footballing principles but you wouldn't want a manager throwing his teddies out of the pram if he doesn't agree with the guidelines laid down by his employers. In any form of work you have to have a certain respect and toe the line on many things.

Would not be wise to assume Wellens is the ideal candidate.

I wouldn't want our chairman or owner telling our manager how they should be playing. If they wanted to play a different way then they should have hired a manager that was that way inclined.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on April 12, 2021, 10:34:30 pm by Scooter »
Just to throw a different name out there - how about Dino Maamria? He always seems really positive and is helping Burton play decent football

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on April 12, 2021, 10:34:39 pm by Danmckay456 »
Possible candidates????

Dean Holden
Neil Harris
Alex neill

Mark bonner - Cambridge
Michael Flynn - Newport

Do you have a thing for hoofball?

If we get results then I’m not bothered , we’ve hardly had a style since McCann and at least Moore got results which we weren’t complaining about in the current comprehensive lack of form

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on April 12, 2021, 11:08:06 pm by GazLaz »

Got MK Dons promoted?

He’s got a good record but that stint at Bristol Rovers this season was absolutely shocking.

Given time and the right environment he will be class. He’s SoD mk II. Parachuting mid season in to BR with an in balanced squad and a set up behind the scenes hindering any progress was defiantly a pretty impossible job for someone like him. He’s a manager that really does have a philosophy and with a full preseason and the ability to bring in some of his own players, he would do well. He’s not a quick fix merchant.

Listened to his interviews when he was at the Gas, very good.   

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on April 12, 2021, 11:24:44 pm by dickos1 »
Whether our chairman gets on with someone shouldn’t be high up in the criteria

It would be pretty high up in the criteria for a senior management role in every other company.

No chairman is going to appoint someone he doesn't like to a position with the responsibility for this level of spending and performance, anywhere, ever.

Does a chairman of a football club really do that much? Other than chair meetings?
I’d imagine gavin and TB wouldn’t allow blunt to poo poo a manager just because he doesn’t like him.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012