Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 06:31:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: European super League  (Read 13793 times)

rich1471

• Forum Member
Re: European super League
« Reply #120 on April 19, 2021, 01:32:17 pm by rich1471 »
According to reports, Spurs fired Jose Mourinho after an explosive morning where he refused to take players onto the training ground over the club’s proposed European Super League admission.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on April 19, 2021, 01:32:23 pm by redwine »
I know this may sound naive but if no one buys the sports packages from the TV companies that will reduce the income stream significantly together with the knock on effect of reduced advertising revenue.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on April 19, 2021, 01:33:14 pm by wilts rover »
UK fan power is nothing to these clubs, they are global outfits. Let them go create a league, but do not allow them back.

I think the tv bubble may be about to burst anyway, if you look at things like IFollow. Its more functional than the polished SKY/BT/Amazon....but who wants meaningless faces spouting rubbish, an hour before and after. I just want to watch the game, then get on with my life.

You are only looking at the tv/online market in this country. There is a massive, and growing tv/online audience for PL & CL football in China, South-East Asia and India. Which is what this is all about - exploiting the revenue of those places.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on April 19, 2021, 01:35:44 pm by wilts rover »
I know this may sound naive but if no one buys the sports packages from the TV companies that will reduce the income stream significantly together with the knock on effect of reduced advertising revenue.

It's what I mentioned earlier. If the government wishes to stop this all they have to do is refuse to allow DAZN a broadcasting licence in this country - and the rest of Europe do the same.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on April 19, 2021, 01:37:35 pm by normal rules »
Gary Neville has tweeted the suggestion that Leeds stand on the touch line tonight and let Liverpool score as they clearly don’t want competition in the future.
Lol.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on April 19, 2021, 01:39:19 pm by rich1471 »
Gary Neville has tweeted the suggestion that Leeds stand on the touch line tonight and let Liverpool score as they clearly don’t want competition in the future.
Lol.
Would be even better if they refused to kickoff that would make a stand

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on April 19, 2021, 01:47:11 pm by River Don »
Interestingly Liverpool and manure and shitty have not splashed this all over their Facebook pages, unlike chelski Spurs  and Arsenal.

Intersting.

Apparently Chelsea and Man City were most reticent but were fearful of being left out.

I'd have thought Man Utd would be the most keen on it, given the size of their debt burden.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on April 19, 2021, 01:54:43 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Lol.

It'd be better for Leeds to give Liverpool a good stuffing, just to show who's 'super'.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on April 19, 2021, 02:13:49 pm by normal rules »
AC Milan:
No league title since 2011.

Inter:
No league title since 2010.

Juventus:
4th in Serie A.

Atletico:
No league title since 2014.

Arsenal:
No league title since 2004.

Chelsea:
5th in the PL.

Man Utd:
No league title since 2013.

Spurs:
Face with tears of joy

Super League? Embarrassing.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on April 19, 2021, 02:15:51 pm by normal rules »
Still, I look forward to watching Burnley v Real Valladolid in the 2024 UEFA Champions League Final.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on April 19, 2021, 02:22:01 pm by River Don »
President of UEFA giving a presser now.

Confirms their intention to ban all superleague players from their competitions and the World Cup.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on April 19, 2021, 02:26:24 pm by normal rules »

Confirms their intention to ban all superleague players from their competitions and the World Cup.

I’ve counted 11 of the current England squad who this would currently affect. Club or country has been talked about a lot in recent years. This topic is about to hot up even more.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on April 19, 2021, 02:41:45 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Can UEFA rule on the World Cup? It's not their competition. Mind you, I'd expect FIFA to make the same decision anyway.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on April 19, 2021, 02:45:29 pm by River Don »

Can UEFA rule on the World Cup? It's not their competition. Mind you, I'd expect FIFA to make the same decision anyway.

No UEFA can't rule on the World Cup but they have the full backing of FIFA in this.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on April 19, 2021, 02:49:47 pm by River Don »
An anonymous board member for one the English Super League clubs has spoken to Sky Sports to describe the proposals not as "civil war [but] it's a nuclear war."

In an extremely inflammatory statement, the anonymous exec said: “Our job is to maximise our revenues. The wider good of the game is a secondary concern. The clubs don’t care about the backlash and opinions of the fans."

That's a straight forward "f**k you" then.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on April 19, 2021, 02:51:14 pm by normal rules »
While I’ve little time for the beurocrats at the highest level of world and European football, you can’t help but raise an eyebrow when the UEFA president gets personal about the conduct of those he once trusted.

Still more from Ceferin

Sean Ingle again: “Čeferin admits that he was blindsided by the European Super League. “I’ve seen many things in my life, I was a criminal lawyer for 24 years, so I’ve seen different people, but I’ve never ever seen people like that,” he says. “If I start with Ed Woodward,” he adds.” I didn’t have much contact with him but he called me last Thursday in the evening, saying that he’s very satisfied with the reforms, that he fully supports the reforms, and that the only thing he would like to speak about is financial fair play. And obviously he already signed something else.”

And the full line on Agnelli: “He’s probably the biggest disappointment of all, I don’t want to be too personal. But the fact is I’ve never seen a person lie so many times, so persistently. That he did was unbelievable. I spoke with him on Saturday afternoon. He says, ‘These are only rumours. Don’t worry, nothing is going on.’ And then he said, ‘I’ll call you in one hour. And he turned off the phone. Next day, we get the announcement.’ I’ve seen many things in my life but not a situation like that. Obviously, greediness is so strong that all the human values evaporate.”

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on April 19, 2021, 02:55:13 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
An anonymous board member for one the English Super League clubs has spoken to Sky Sports to describe the proposals not as "civil war [but] it's a nuclear war."

In an extremely inflammatory statement, the anonymous exec said: “Our job is to maximise our revenues. The wider good of the game is a secondary concern. The clubs don’t care about the backlash and opinions of the fans."

That's a straight forward "f**k you" then.

It's nice of them to be honest for once, though.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on April 19, 2021, 03:00:57 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Woodwards home got attacked because of how Uniteds Revenue was being used. He'll be homeless and in hospital over this if that's anything to go by.

Spurs have played a blinder mind.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on April 19, 2021, 03:38:10 pm by normal rules »
PL heads to meet with 14 other clubs tomorrow minus the big 6.
Now I’d love to be a fly on the wall for that meeting.
As has been muted on talk sport this afternoon, The football leagues as we know them will be knackered from now on with or without the big 6, if the ESL goes ahead.

The boards and owners of the other 14 will no doubt have the casting votes on expelling the big 6.

And no matter what, those 6 teams reputations and respect in this country is now damaged forever.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on April 19, 2021, 03:39:19 pm by wilts rover »
Shares in Juventus up 17% today, Man U up 9% - looks as though the money men think this is a good idea - and thats what counts in international business:

https://twitter.com/BBCSimonJack/status/1384143881525075979

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on April 19, 2021, 03:47:52 pm by normal rules »
But that’s what this is all about. The American business men behind all this don’t like risk and being relegated, or not making it to a big final, is a financial risk they will avoid at all costs. ESL removes all this risk by creating huge guaranteed wealth every week, every month every year. With no risk.
I just hope and pray the games are played in front of empty grounds.
Football fans are fickle though. And they happily pay £100 per match at Old traffford. I dread to think what this will cost. And let’s be fair, it will get boring watching the same games week in week out. At least the big 6 get a bit of variety with big and small clubs to play. No game will be special anymore.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on April 19, 2021, 03:48:02 pm by wilts rover »

FIFA - the people who thought it was OK to have a World Cup in Quatar.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on April 19, 2021, 03:50:29 pm by normal rules »
Crikey, there’s even a website now set up. The super league.com

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on April 19, 2021, 03:57:35 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Crikey, there’s even a website now set up. The super league.com

I wonder how long that's been sat waiting to go live...

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on April 19, 2021, 04:22:01 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
The fan outrage is wide spread and across all clubs especially those involved which is good to see. If it does go through people need to put the money where their mouth is. Don't pay for any streaming service that shows the games don't go etc etc that's the only way to change things.

Having purchased a listed property and tried doing work to it i find it amazing the owners of such integral parts of huge communities can do whatever they want. I'm told what windows i can and can't have yet there's no checks on what happens to football clubs! So strange. I think the biggest hope is that it's caused such outrage that government may be forced to intervene and regulate the game so it stays to it's roots.

If a property in some little village is worth protecting to maintain history and local culture (it's not even anything special!) then football clubs must be.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #145 on April 19, 2021, 04:25:34 pm by PDX_Rover »
f**k ‘em.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on April 19, 2021, 04:26:30 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Proper English football fans boycotting it won't make a difference. Outside of Europe is where all the money will come from with even more of them wanting to pay to watch this.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on April 19, 2021, 04:35:06 pm by normal rules »
Proper English football fans boycotting it won't make a difference. Outside of Europe is where all the money will come from with even more of them wanting to pay to watch this.

It’s interesting. I’ve spent some time researching other clubs forums. There is a feeling amongst some Liverpool supporters for instance that they consider themselves more respected in places like Milan than anywhere in the uk. They quite simply think they are so special that they can just happily cut themselves off from the very country they live in.

For me the future of this league will lay with people who are willing to pay for it and the players, without which there is no league.

Take Mason Greenwood for example. A young and upcoming star with a probable regular future place in the England squad. As a super league player he could be looking at 1 million pounds per week as a player. But, he cannot play for his national side. Then there is his agent who will be on a pretty penny.
The alternative, a place in the Burnley squad perhaps, or Leicester, on considerably less money. What would you do?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on April 19, 2021, 04:36:17 pm by River Don »
Apparently local authorities can prevent a local club from using their name.

I wonder what would happen to their brand recognition if these clubs were forced to adopt Pro Evo Soccer style names? Mersey Reds, Red Devils, Blue City.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on April 19, 2021, 04:47:14 pm by normal rules »
Forest have more right to be in this jumped up lge than the likes of Arsenal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012