Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:10:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Manager selection update  (Read 93414 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Manager selection update
« Reply #90 on April 23, 2021, 09:19:19 pm by GazLaz »
Aren't we hoping for a German next?

Absolutely and I’d be delighted

I'd be very happy with Stendel, but would he be one of those who is requesting too much. For example, can League One Doncaster Rovers offer a similar wage to a Championship Barnsley or SPFL Hearts? All bias aside, would you take a pay cut to manage Doncaster Rovers?

Better to have some money coming in, in a stable environment rather than nothing.
We have in recent years particularly given the manager a decent platform to work in, that being borne out by the last 2 managers being packed by clubs in a higher division, and also not having a reputation as a club for knee jerk sackings. That should count for something too.

I’m pretty sure Stendel played in the Bundersliga, he won’t be skint!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on April 23, 2021, 09:34:31 pm by redandwhitearmy »
I wonder if Danny Rose might have applied. Home town. Not got even Squad number at TH. Contract must be about up. Probably learned lots from some good managers. Maybe he fancies a "Coaches" job.
the man hates the town. Its a no from me

Anything to back this up with? Or is it just made up?

The bloke is a grade A tosspot and anybody who knows him will tell you that.   Nice family though.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on April 23, 2021, 10:13:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
200k at least
I remember it being quoted in the local papers that Cusack was paid £45k as player-manager in 1986. £20k as player and £25k as manager.

That wasn't a wildly outrageous wage at the time.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on April 23, 2021, 10:30:55 pm by roversdude »
It was for him though BST.
Some achievement taking us and Rotherham down

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on April 23, 2021, 11:16:17 pm by tyke1962 »
Aren't we hoping for a German next?

Absolutely and I’d be delighted

I'd be very happy with Stendel, but would he be one of those who is requesting too much. For example, can League One Doncaster Rovers offer a similar wage to a Championship Barnsley or SPFL Hearts? All bias aside, would you take a pay cut to manage Doncaster Rovers?

We weren't in the championship when we hired Daniel , we were in league one .

We'd just taken an £8m hit with relegation from the championship without any players at that time who were attracting the attention of anybody above league one level to sell to other than Tom Bradshaw .

We got £1.2m for Bradshaw and replaced him with Cauley Woodrow for £1.1m .

I don't think Daniel is massively expensive in my opinion and Hearts played in the SPL which isn't exactly brimming with cash .

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on April 23, 2021, 11:18:12 pm by Red wizard »
Yeah but born and bred in England. For me that makes him English.
IF a dog has it pups in a stable does that make it a horse? Morre is Jamaican and will of been brought up that way. My niece was born in Germany, she not German.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on April 24, 2021, 06:53:44 am by NickDRFC »
IF a dog has it pups in a stable does that make it a horse? Morre is Jamaican and will of been brought up that way. My niece was born in Germany, she not German.

I think there’s a bit of a difference - Moore was born in Birmingham and was brought up and educated there. I don’t know about how he qualified for playing for Jamaica but it could just be via a grandparent. There are English players representing countries all around the world who are on no more than nodding terms with that country and in some instances have never even visited that country.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on April 24, 2021, 07:31:02 am by rich1471 »

I think there’s a bit of a difference - Moore was born in Birmingham and was brought up and educated there. I don’t know about how he qualified for playing for Jamaica but it could just be via a grandparent. There are English players representing countries all around the world who are on no more than nodding terms with that country and in some instances have never even visited that country.
just look at Jack Charlton when he managed the republic of Ireland  , some of the players did not know they qualified to play for them

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on April 24, 2021, 08:14:05 am by River Don »
It all gets very confusing these days I have a mate whose two lad are technically eligible to play for England, Scotland, Republic of Ireland or India, having grandparents from Ireland, Scotland, India and England.

They were born and brought up and educated in London, so really I think England is the one they should be eligible for.

they aren't good footballers though.

Edit: just to add to that, their Dad was born and bred in Donny would be very firm they play for England. Their Mum is from Glasgow and I guess might want them to play for Scotland.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 08:43:57 am by River Don »

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on April 24, 2021, 08:46:52 am by southwestexile »

just look at Jack Charlton when he managed the republic of Ireland  , some of the players did not know they qualified to play for them

Tony Cascarino famously has no right to play for them at all

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on April 24, 2021, 09:31:16 am by wilts rover »

'Brought up Jamaican' - is that as in 'devout Christian' - are they/we not Christian in Brimingham/UK any more? Who knew!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on April 24, 2021, 10:43:11 am by River Don »

This is a daft argument. Horses and dogs are different species. Your niece could very easily be discribed as German, since the Angles and Saxons came from NW Germany. Nations are a human construct, lines on a map.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on April 24, 2021, 10:47:41 am by NewDonny »

Some players played for the RI that didn't qualify through family as well, Cascarino comes to mind!

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on April 24, 2021, 10:51:45 am by bedale rover »
Does he have a UK passport?

That is the key question

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on April 24, 2021, 10:53:02 am by DonnyOsmond »

Some players played for the RI that didn't qualify through family as well, Cascarino comes to mind!

His grandfather was Irish, however, he found out later on that he was adopted so that made it a bit more complicated. The initial call up was when he was under the impression that he qualified though.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on April 24, 2021, 11:09:26 am by Filo »

His grandfather was Irish, however, he found out later on that he was adopted so that made it a bit more complicated. The initial call up was when he was under the impression that he qualified though.

Nearly

It was his Mother that was adopted and therefore had no linage to the Irish connection

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on April 24, 2021, 11:15:45 am by DonnyOsmond »

Nearly

It was his Mother that was adopted and therefore had no linage to the Irish connection

But he found out after so he believed he did qualify.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on April 24, 2021, 11:36:21 am by roversdude »
Too late ND lol
Good to see Sadds back starting - with the last couple of sending offs I think everything is aligned against them though

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on April 24, 2021, 12:21:09 pm by ian1980 »
Having googled “Average League 1 manager salary” this is what came back.

Not sure how accurate it is but it looks about right to me.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on April 24, 2021, 03:36:47 pm by Not Now Kato »

Nearly

He did have an Irish Setter though.  ;)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on April 24, 2021, 03:45:55 pm by idler »
Maybe he was good at Limericks.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on April 24, 2021, 03:52:42 pm by Filo »

Nearly

He did have an Irish Setter though.  ;)

Was it called Maurice?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on April 24, 2021, 05:29:25 pm by scawsby steve »
Back on topic, Derek McInnes. I'm not saying I want him, it's just a gut feeling based on absolutely nothing.

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on April 24, 2021, 05:39:53 pm by phil o sophical »
After what we've witnessed today we might be better with either Harry Potter , Dynamo or David Blaine

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on April 24, 2021, 05:50:23 pm by EasyforDennis »
I wonder if one of the requirements for the managers job is. "Must have masochistic tendencies,"  :woohoo:

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on April 24, 2021, 06:38:29 pm by roversdude »
Can we bring the process forward after today’s showing

lee.j09

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on April 24, 2021, 07:39:51 pm by lee.j09 »
I had a chat with Gavin this morning, and despite last nights performance, he did feel upbeat about our search for a new manager.

From that conversation I understood this;

At the end of play on Monday we'd had 120 applicants.

(and, tongue in cheek, nobody had pulled out because of last nights performance!)

The initial work was to whittle that down to about 80.

From there Gavin will need to provide a list of about 16 which will be discussed with the Chairman on Friday and that will then be presented to the board.

That process of elimination begins today and the idea is to get behind the statistics that prospective managers will have included in their CV. From our discussion it was clear that the CV's that applicants provide is they are all polished and professional and will include things like win ratios, possession percentages etc.

The way to get around that is to verify those claims and to get a better understanding of the individual, to carry out due diligence and to see the individual for what he is, style of play and philosophy for example. The way to do that is to speak to others, and that will include managers at the highest level (and I do mean highest level), players, colleagues, back room staff, club owners and even on occasions fans if we have connections with those.

That list of 16 is then graded using the criteria that the club drew up, and each candidate will be scored. The idea is then to present to the board a list of 5 or 6 who will be asked to attend for interview.

There's also the need to make allowances for a 'left field' candidate, one who might not have all the documented data and years of experience but yet has that certain something that makes them stand out from the crowd, a Grant McCann type of candidate for instance!

I hope that's of interest.

I’d love to know what qualifys Gavin to make such decision. What does he know about football management?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on April 24, 2021, 07:43:58 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I had a chat with Gavin this morning, and despite last nights performance, he did feel upbeat about our search for a new manager.

(and, tongue in cheek, nobody had pulled out because of last nights performance!)

From there Gavin will need to provide a list of about 16 which will be discussed with the Chairman on Friday and that will then be presented to the board.

That process of elimination begins today and the idea is to get behind the statistics that prospective managers will have included in their CV. From our discussion it was clear that the CV's that applicants provide is they are all polished and professional and will include things like win ratios, possession percentages etc.

The way to get around that is to verify those claims and to get a better understanding of the individual, to carry out due diligence and to see the individual for what he is, style of play and philosophy for example. The way to do that is to speak to others, and that will include managers at the highest level (and I do mean highest level), players, colleagues, back room staff, club owners and even on occasions fans if we have connections with those.

That list of 16 is then graded using the criteria that the club drew up, and each candidate will be scored. The idea is then to present to the board a list of 5 or 6 who will be asked to attend for interview.

There's also the need to make allowances for a 'left field' candidate, one who might not have all the documented data and years of experience but yet has that certain something that makes them stand out from the crowd, a Grant McCann type of candidate for instance!

I’d love to know what qualifys Gavin to make such decision. What does he know about football management?

What to most business men who become CEO's of football clubs know? He's got a pretty decent record so far.

rabjohns

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on April 24, 2021, 07:46:32 pm by rabjohns »
I wouldn't mind the Rotherham manager if their Chairman decided a change was needed at the end of the season.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on April 24, 2021, 07:47:04 pm by Jonathan »

Being the CEO of a football club probably makes him reasonably placed to make such decisions...

I think if you read the above, it’s pretty clear there’s a due diligence and consultation process. Gavin isn’t making the decisions on a whim, nor should anyone regardless of their supposed footballing background / knowledge.

What does anyone really know about football management? We all talk like we’re experts on here, don’t we. We could put a former manager in charge of the process and he’d still stand there for criticism if he made the wrong choice. Which is why there’s a process.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012