Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:45:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Which players would you retain?  (Read 4831 times)

nortikorner

• Forum Member
Re: Which players would you retain?
« Reply #30 on May 09, 2021, 02:29:43 pm by nortikorner »
DonnyOsmond
You have selected 12 players you would have not season we have finished 14th with them

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 09, 2021, 02:31:06 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Definitely keep
Jones
Wright
Anderson
Amos
Blythe
Horton
Greaves
Lokilo
Taylor
Hasani
Ravenhill
Seaman

Maybe keep
Bostock
Okenabirhie
John
Gomes
Butler
Bottomley

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 09, 2021, 02:34:20 pm by mjg »
It only takes a couple a bad apples to spoil a team , I’m sure the powers that be will know who they are

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 09, 2021, 02:55:27 pm by DonnyOsmond »
DonnyOsmond
You have selected 12 players you would have not season we have finished 14th with them

A lot of those players were part of a team that was challenging for the title till mid-Feb.
We're also bringing in a new manager.
Potentially a new style of play that could suit some players better e.g. Bostock.
And I would still sign at least 7 first teamers to add to that.

That's a lot more drastic a change then what happened between 17-18 and 18-19. We finished the season with 4 wins from 21, McCann came in and didn't change many faces and he got us into the play offs. Just because this teams done shit since Feb doesn't mean they'll do shit next season under someone else.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 09, 2021, 05:32:32 pm by andy didcott »
Could count how many on one finger.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 09, 2021, 06:06:31 pm by Danmckay456 »
Lokilo no chance potential is one thing effort and application is another he’s done well last couple of games granted but we show too much loyalty at times - clean the decks and get rid of the deadwood

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 09, 2021, 06:27:12 pm by mrfrostsdad »
None of the defence (including Anderson) because defensively we have been awful for the last 20 or more games.
None of the midfield, which has been none-existent for months.
Strikers? Fej is our top scorer with 11, so maybe he's worth another go, but the rest? Nope.
And Jones, who has played well recently.
It won't happen because 1) we probably can't afford it (which I totally understand) and 2) it would be entirely unrealistic to put together a completely brand new squad in the closed season

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 09, 2021, 06:30:11 pm by Chris Black come back »
I do wonder whether we do have to completely rebuild the defence. It has been abject and such a soft touch that even just one or two new faces might not be able to cover the cracks that are there. It is not just ability it is a mindset weakness that seems to be there. Loss of concentration, poor organisation especially at set pieces, seeming acceptance that conceding anything is somehow an occupational hazard.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 09, 2021, 06:47:22 pm by Prez »
Jones as number 2
Anderson
James
Taylor
Fej

along with the kids who have already signed.

The rest can go.

Id have Taylor Richards back but very much doubt that will happen.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 09, 2021, 06:47:45 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Keep

Jones
Horton
Greaves
Taylor
Anderson
Fej

Other than that I’m struggling. Not saying these should be 1st choice either

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 09, 2021, 07:03:48 pm by RoversAlias »
Based on this thread, the consensus just about seems to be:

Jones
Anderson
John
Horton
Greaves
Taylor
Okenabirhie

And very little else. I wouldn't disagree too much, we need a massive clear-out.

It seems that, bar the new manager wielding the axe on contracted players, we will start next season with this lot:

Jones
Seaman
Butler
Anderson
John
Horton
Bostock
Greaves
Taylor
Williams
Okenabirhie
Bogle

That's a dozen players...although I would be kicking Bogle out the door immediately, and I don't really care to see Bostock or Williams stay either. Butler I'd like to see involved but not as a first choice player.

We need an awful lot of new blood. Fresh faces to fit a fresh style and set-up, and with a wholly new attitude because this squad is mentally as weak as is possible. We are lucky not to be getting relegated the way this season has panned out in the end.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 09, 2021, 07:05:34 pm by StocksArmy »
Thought Blythe on the ball was a breathe of fresh air. Saw his passes early and made them with conviction. Should have started him a few weeks ago imo. Couldnt have done any worse than the rest. Just saw Cameron John posted a bit of cryptic message on Instagram as well. Really hope thats not a dig at the club in an attempt at saying he wish he hadnt joined because my message to him wouldnt be so cryptic...... f**king sh!te.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 09, 2021, 07:18:18 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Thought Blythe on the ball was a breathe of fresh air. Saw his passes early and made them with conviction. Should have started him a few weeks ago imo. Couldnt have done any worse than the rest. Just saw Cameron John posted a bit of cryptic message on Instagram as well. Really hope thats not a dig at the club in an attempt at saying he wish he hadnt joined because my message to him wouldnt be so cryptic...... f**king sh!te.

"Live and learn. Onto next season"?

Seems like a standard end of season thing to say.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 09, 2021, 07:23:56 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I’m on the fence with John. We know there’s a good player there wouldn’t be too fussed if he left but a new manager could turn him into a top player.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on May 09, 2021, 07:33:53 pm by StocksArmy »

Live and learn to me usually means you have made a mistake. If hes criticizing his own season then you would think he would say a bit more than live and learn. But thats just me.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 09, 2021, 07:36:00 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Live and learn to me usually means you have made a mistake. If hes criticizing his own season then you would think he would say a bit more than live and learn. But thats just me.

You're reading too far into it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 09, 2021, 07:56:53 pm by Campsall rover »
No body has even mentioned Halliday.

Are we keeping him or not.
I would definitely keep him but may well be in a minority on this forum with that view.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 09, 2021, 07:59:17 pm by Rovers91 »
I’m on the fence with John. We know there’s a good player there wouldn’t be too fussed if he left but a new manager could turn him into a top player.

It killed his confidence in and out the team and when he was playing he was out of position. Hopefully the new manager to come in will play him regular at centre half as there is a player there.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 09, 2021, 08:20:25 pm by Jonathan »

I would definitely keep him but may well be in a minority on this forum with that view.

In that case you’re in a minority of at least two as I would keep him.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 09, 2021, 08:24:16 pm by MachoMadness »
I don't think Anderson is the same player since he got knocked out. Whether it's a mental thing or he physically isn't the same player it's impossible to know. He's no stranger to head injuries and a few concussions can seriously affect you.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 09, 2021, 08:28:23 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Agree just hope a break over summer and a fresh start can get him back to where he was before. Certainly need at least 1 new centre half next season. Assume Wright is leaving and I’m not fussed about that he’s been pathetic since DM left

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 09, 2021, 08:28:37 pm by NickDRFC »
I’d keep Halliday as well although it would be good to see another RB to challenge for the spot (who knows, maybe Seaman is up to it?)

Even if he does leave, hopefully the fact that he played today puts to bed the nonsense that he wasn’t willing to play and making up an injury. Halliday’s always been one of the more committed players in the team and I think some of the comments about him missing over the past month have been pretty disrespectful and look to have been unfair.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 09, 2021, 08:57:20 pm by Campsall rover »
I’d keep Halliday as well although it would be good to see another RB to challenge for the spot (who knows, maybe Seaman is up to it?)

Even if he does leave, hopefully the fact that he played today puts to bed the nonsense that he wasn’t willing to play and making up an injury. Halliday’s always been one of the more committed players in the team and I think some of the comments about him missing over the past month have been pretty disrespectful and look to have been unfair.
100% with you Nick with that post.

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on May 09, 2021, 09:44:25 pm by Tiddysdad »
Bostock's absence speaks volumes.

Does it? We'll have a different manager next week so everyone has a clean slate.

You're right, the manager will allow them a clean slate, but a lot of fans will not allow some of the players such a luxury - some of them have been a disgrace.

Why was Bostock missing?
Everyone should get a clean sheet.
What as Bostock done more than others to warrant so much calling by people on here?

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on May 09, 2021, 09:52:29 pm by VivaRovers »
Something from the latest issue of the fanzine that could offer a general guide on this. We asked 62* Rovers fans, regardless of contract or loan status, which players would you like to see retained at the club for 2021-22

(Well, I asked more, but only 62 responded in time for the print deadline)

The players are listed below by the percentage of fans surveyed who wished to see them kept on (Butler is included as a player not a manager).

100%   Tom Anderson
95.2%   James Coppinger
95.2%    Reece James
95.2%   Louis Jones
95.2%   Matt Smith
95.2%   Jon Taylor
93.6%   Tyreece John-Jules
90.3%   Fejiri Okenabirhie
87.1%   Liam Ravenhill
83.9%   AJ Greaves
83.9%   Joe Wright
82.3%   Brandon Horton
82.3%   Josh Sims
79%           Andy Butler
77.4%   Lirak Hasani
75.8%   Cameron John
74.2%   Brad Halliday
71%           Danny Amos
69.4%   Ben Bottomley
62.9%   John Bostock
48.4%   Taylor Richards
41.9%   Omar Bogle
29%           Jason Lokilo
22.6%   Scott Robertson
22.6%   Ed Williams
17.8%   Madger Gomes
6.5%   Ellery Balcombe
4.8%   Elliot Simoes

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on May 09, 2021, 11:03:51 pm by drfchound »

In that case you’re in a minority of at least two as I would keep him.

You can add me to the same list as well.
I think he is overly criticised.
Of course he gets done by clever wingers sometimes but tell me a fullback he doesn’t.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on May 10, 2021, 01:36:31 pm by sha66y »
Bostock is a shoe in, he was mis-employed but does have quality and the new manager might hearth his skill set to maximum ..
Seamon needs bedding in
Anderson should be the weakest defender after recruitments start....high benchmark!
Fej can score just needs a hug

Personally I would like to see all the young ones playing regularly and add experienced heads when needed....not the other way around!

That.....didn’t work....let’s try something different and closer to home..

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on May 10, 2021, 01:42:02 pm by since-1969 »
Definitely keep
Jones
Wright
Anderson
Amos
Blythe
Horton
Greaves
Lokilo
Taylor
Hasani
Ravenhill
Seaman

Maybe keep
Bostock
Okenabirhie
John
Gomes
Butler
Bottomley
. So we would keep almost everyone that got us in the mess we found our season in.
Don’t run for manager any time soon !!

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on May 10, 2021, 01:45:26 pm by Retdon1 »
Not including the young lads the only first team players I would keep would be

Jones
Anderson
James
Bostock
Taylor
Okinbiri

The rest I would get rid of and have a total rebuild. I could see Bostock being a key play under Wellens

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on May 10, 2021, 01:49:58 pm by wing commander »
Well out of the above lists out of the senior players Greaves,Anderson,Jones and Taylor are worth keeping.. If Bostock,Halliday,Wright,Amos,lokilo,Butler,John,Gomes and Okenarbirhie left tomorrow i wouldn't lose a blink of sleep over any of them

TinyPortal © 2005-2012