Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:34:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Graeme Jones  (Read 3411 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Graeme Jones
« on May 25, 2021, 04:38:54 pm by Chris Black come back »
Southgate has appointed him to the England staff for Euro 2021.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DRCraig

• Forum Member
Re: Graeme Jones
« Reply #1 on May 25, 2021, 05:22:42 pm by DRCraig »
He has done really well. Looks like he will always be a coach. Which is good enough. Big clubs and International football.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 25, 2021, 06:39:28 pm by craigdrfc »
Be interesting to see if Martinez tries to take him to Spurs.

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 25, 2021, 07:25:23 pm by RedRover »
Was he not a postman turning out part-time for Bridlington when we signed him? In fact I'm pretty sure he played his last professional home game for Boston United the day we wrapped up the League Two title in the 03/04 season and was moving into teaching at a college up Darlington way. The bloke needs to write a book about his life as he's been on one incredible journey in the last 25 or so years.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 25, 2021, 07:54:37 pm by Branton Rover »
The postman was Alan Redford from memory he too played for Bridlington Town under you know who

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 25, 2021, 07:58:16 pm by selby »
   I have said it for ages, England should get on board John Coleman from Accrington Stanley.  He is the most qualified manager in English football getting the best out of not much.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 26, 2021, 07:32:48 am by dickos1 »
Not much?
I think we’ve got the best squad going this year

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 28, 2021, 01:42:19 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Not much?

And so the endless cycle of hope over experience starts another turn...

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 28, 2021, 09:42:08 am by Padge_DRFC »
Not much?

Defensively we haven't

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 28, 2021, 09:59:17 am by Metalmicky »
I'll state now that we will probably make the quarter finals and then it will all end in tragic defeat.... probably to the Germans.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 28, 2021, 10:08:38 am by DRCraig »
I'll state now that we will probably make the quarter finals and then it will all end in tragic defeat.... probably to the Germans.
you are actually being optimistic there Mr England fan !.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 28, 2021, 11:49:38 am by dickos1 »
Not much?

I’m not speaking about experience though I’m talking about the quality of this current squad

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 28, 2021, 11:50:53 am by dickos1 »
Not much?

Defensively we haven't

The full backs we’ve got are up there with anyone else, and stones has been outstanding this year

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 28, 2021, 12:07:38 pm by NickDRFC »
Not much?

I’m not speaking about experience though I’m talking about the quality of this current squad

I think he means historical experience by the fans. Golden generation etc and expectations not met for years.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 28, 2021, 12:16:25 pm by NickDRFC »
Not much?

Defensively we haven't

The full backs we’ve got are up there with anyone else, and stones has been outstanding this year

Stones has been outstanding alongside the best centre back in the league. Not sure he’s going to be as good alongside old slab head.

Not completely convinced by the full backs either. At right back James has had an average season, TAA isn’t solid enough defensively and Kyle Walker’s got nothing between his ears (would still be my first choice in the trickier games though). At left back Luke Shaw has had a good season but does that really elevate him to international class? I think Chilwell is alright but better suited to wing back (in fact all of them are) which I’m not sure will be the system we play.

I definitely agree that there’s a lot of talent in the squad but even at the relatively young age of 34 I’ve seen enough in my lifetime to not get carried away. Difficult to look past France as the reigning world champions, with a relatively unchanged squad from that WC win and the best player in the tournament.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 28, 2021, 05:15:10 pm by Jonathan »
This is an excellent England squad and Southgate and his staff need to work out a way of getting the best from them.

It’s very easy to be cynical and point to the years of perennial failure. But you can’t ignore the fact that some of the players we have, especially in the attacking positions, are right up there. We ought to be expecting that this team will make it to the semi-finals as a minimum. Anything less would be a failure with the players at our disposal.

To dismiss it as not much to work with is ridiculous. There’s a lot to work with this time around.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 05:32:40 pm by Jonathan »

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 28, 2021, 05:23:58 pm by TheFunk »
I'm guessing he'll play 2 defensive midfielders to protect the defence, meaning some of our attacking players will miss out. No doubt we'll play at walking pace as usual with everyone taking far too many touches to move the ball.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 28, 2021, 07:11:40 pm by drfchound »
I’m expecting Mason Mount to be the stand out player at this tournament.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 28, 2021, 07:37:31 pm by dickos1 »
I'm guessing he'll play 2 defensive midfielders to protect the defence, meaning some of our attacking players will miss out. No doubt we'll play at walking pace as usual with everyone taking far too many touches to move the ball.

You can’t have watched many games under southgate if you think we play at walking pace

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 28, 2021, 08:55:08 pm by TheFunk »

You can’t have watched many games under southgate if you think we play at walking pace

Sadly I have it's like watching us under Moore. I can't remember many decent performances. Just like at the last World Cup where somehow we reached the semis without playing well.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 28, 2021, 09:26:30 pm by PDX_Rover »
55 years.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 29, 2021, 12:23:47 pm by dickos1 »

Sadly I have it's like watching us under Moore. I can't remember many decent performances. Just like at the last World Cup where somehow we reached the semis without playing well.

We’ve played many games at a high tempo where the opposition can’t live with us.
The nations league last year when Spain simply couldn’t live with us.
The World Cup we played well in a few games, the quarter final we were very good and in the semi final we battered them for an hour, if Kane had squares that ball to stirling we would’ve been in the final

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 20, 2021, 11:50:56 am by RedRover »
The postman was Alan Redford from memory he too played for Bridlington Town under you know who

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/geordie-former-postman-who-plotting-14842540

Anyway, the boy done good, he is now manager of his boyhood club Newcastle United albeit on an interim basis.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 20, 2021, 12:33:14 pm by donnievic »
Be interesting to see if Martinez tries to take him to Spurs.
??????

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 20, 2021, 12:58:20 pm by ravenrover »
Look at the date of the post!

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 20, 2021, 01:11:52 pm by donnievic »
Look at the date of the post!
but was never at Spurs