Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:32:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Wednesday in the shit?  (Read 13379 times)

sha66y

• Forum Member
Re: The Wednesday in the shit?
« Reply #90 on June 04, 2021, 04:13:01 pm by sha66y »
We absolutely are in the shit. In fact, the rumour is that this is only the beginning.

What’s frustrating is that you could see this happening and yet could do nothing about it. How many clubs have gone for the big gamble and lost out? Too many to mention and we aren’t the first and won’t be the last.

What’s even more depressing is that the players we had last season were, on the whole, appalling and yet are likely to be replaced by even worse players!

As for us being a ‘big club’ it depends on what you base this. We have a large fan base, but that’s it. We’ve not had any real success for almost 30 years, our ground is falling apart, our owner is ‘eccentric’ to put it mildly and the team is total shit.

At least you got a great manager...........( coat , hat, )

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on June 04, 2021, 08:05:38 pm by les@donr »
I wonder if they'll go the way of Bury? No club is too big to fold.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on June 04, 2021, 08:17:00 pm by sha66y »

Let’s hope so.....little ripples have no effects, waves do!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on June 04, 2021, 08:19:52 pm by scawsby steve »

That might be true the way the game is going, Les, but in the 60 odd years I've watched football, I've never known a club as big as Wednesdays fold.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on June 04, 2021, 08:31:14 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Glasgow Rangers were liquidated.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on June 04, 2021, 08:46:35 pm by tyke1962 »
We absolutely are in the shit. In fact, the rumour is that this is only the beginning.

What’s frustrating is that you could see this happening and yet could do nothing about it. How many clubs have gone for the big gamble and lost out? Too many to mention and we aren’t the first and won’t be the last.

What’s even more depressing is that the players we had last season were, on the whole, appalling and yet are likely to be replaced by even worse players!

As for us being a ‘big club’ it depends on what you base this. We have a large fan base, but that’s it. We’ve not had any real success for almost 30 years, our ground is falling apart, our owner is ‘eccentric’ to put it mildly and the team is total shit.

Well whilst you aren't exactly my cup of char to say the least I wouldn't want you to go out of business either .

We may support different clubs but at the same time we work hard all week to support our local club on a Saturday afternoon so in essence we are the same .

All the best off the field although you can stay in League One for the foreseeable for me .

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on June 04, 2021, 09:03:49 pm by scawsby steve »
Glasgow Rangers were liquidated.

That's true, Glyn, but they didn't have to go right to the bottom of the pyramid to start again, like so many phoenix clubs in England have had to.

They just had to start again in the Scottish League 4th tier.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on June 04, 2021, 10:03:27 pm by drfchound »
Northern Counties East League then.
The question is though,  what division.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on June 05, 2021, 05:03:55 pm by Frankie Rennie »

I think you need to stay positive Owl. You are right though about it possibly getting worse. At Bolton we went from Europe in the PL to L2 and every time we went down we thought we couldn’t drop further but how wrong were we? It doesn’t matter how big the club is, or thinks it is, if you don’t have a good owner and good manager, anything can happen. Donny are a good example of how to do it sustainably and it’s just a shame managers have jumped at supposedly better things. I wish you well, you shouldn’t be down here but I do fear for you under your current ownership. As for your players, you still have a good nucleus and if DM can make a few good acquisitions you’ll be ok but on a personal note, why on earth did you let Kieran Lee go? He was absolutely brilliant for us last year and I can’t believe you had better. Anyway, sorry for being off topic Donny fans, I’ll shut up on neighbours now!!

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on June 05, 2021, 05:25:36 pm by albie »
Wages were 160% of income in 2019.
Don't know what more recent figures show, but that is heading only one way, unless the owner digs deep.

Reading were even worse, spending over 200% of income in wages.

We have a test for people looking to buy into a club, but the outstanding issue is how to regulate those who already own a club, and choose to head for the cliffs lemming like.

Here is the bonkers league table for the Championship;
https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1400746604081168384/photo/2

Is madness a virus?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 05:28:05 pm by albie »

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on June 07, 2021, 11:31:19 am by MachoMadness »
Reports today saying they owe £12m in player wages. Gonna need a big bucket for that whip round.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on June 07, 2021, 11:58:13 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Wages were 160% of income in 2019.
Don't know what more recent figures show, but that is heading only one way, unless the owner digs deep.

Reading were even worse, spending over 200% of income in wages.

We have a test for people looking to buy into a club, but the outstanding issue is how to regulate those who already own a club, and choose to head for the cliffs lemming like.

Here is the bonkers league table for the Championship;
https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1400746604081168384/photo/2

Is madness a virus?

Some horrific numbers there.

I wonder what our numbers look like?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on June 07, 2021, 01:05:31 pm by SydneyRover »
from some of the comments I've read we should've paid them to take him off our hands, no?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on June 08, 2021, 09:40:25 am by selby »
 Will they start next season? and if they do in what sort of shape playing side wise? They were a great club just how has it come to this? along with other clubs they were among the first to help out Manchester United with players after their disaster and were one of the most respected clubs in the country along with the United across the city.
  I have no sympathy at all for the present owners and as a club they represent everything that is wrong with the game now, but I have sympathy for their supporters who must be going through the ringer now.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on June 30, 2021, 04:12:26 pm by vaya »
Maybe a hint of sunshine at Hillsborough....

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/major-financial-breakthrough-at-sheffield-wednesday-as-good-news-filters-through-3291735

Certainly an interesting take from The Star: "Positive news as employer does bare minimum"

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on June 30, 2021, 05:01:36 pm by bedale rover »
Maybe a hint of sunshine at Hillsborough....

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/major-financial-breakthrough-at-sheffield-wednesday-as-good-news-filters-through-3291735

Certainly an interesting take from The Star: "Positive news as employer does bare minimum"

"Previously skinflint owner tossing crumbs to minions"

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on June 30, 2021, 05:17:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on June 30, 2021, 05:37:29 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
If I was players, staff or fans, it would not fill me with any confidence at all.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on June 30, 2021, 06:53:55 pm by MachoMadness »
My first question would be where he's got the money from to pay off £12m in wages.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on June 30, 2021, 10:12:38 pm by GazLaz »
My first question would be where he's got the money from to pay off £12m in wages.

I think the issue there is more him getting money into the club without breaking rules as opposed to actually having no money.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on July 01, 2021, 04:12:23 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Unrelated but probably isn't worth starting a new topic for.

Jack Marriott has gone back to Peterborough today on a free after signing for Derby for 5? Million 3 years ago.

As it stands Derby have 12 players, 2 of which are Goalkeepers & no Centre Halves on their books.

Woops.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on July 01, 2021, 07:03:29 pm by drfchound »
That turned into a good deal for Peterbro then.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on July 06, 2021, 06:16:05 pm by MachoMadness »
Released their accounts today, at last. Lost £23m in the 19/20 season, dread to think what that number will be for the season just gone. Started last season with a £30m wage bill.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on July 06, 2021, 07:07:47 pm by EasyforDennis »
Don't worry the EFL won't let Wensdehs go out of business. They are not a small enough club.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012