Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:27:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Royal Yacht  (Read 2034 times)

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
Re: New Royal Yacht
« Reply #30 on May 31, 2021, 02:21:59 pm by Redandwhite »
R&W. I don't think you're getting my point. What we have desperately lacked for decades is a sensible economic strategy that supports long-term investment in our industries, instead of incentivising the bas**rds in the City of London who rip the guts out of companies to make a quick buck then leave them to rot. This  yacht stunt is a sticking plaster over a gaping wound. It might impress a few successful foreign equivalents of Del Boy, and make a few people at home feel grand to be British, but it is not ever going to make a real difference to the structural failings of our system.
OK fair enough, I respect your point of view .
I agree with what you say regarding the banker arseholes .
But I still think the new royal yacht will be an asset, and think I'll be proved correct .
Thanks .

R&W, I’m with you on the business about the yacht.
There are too many people wanting to rubbish anything English/British.
The government, the football team etc often get slated for not being as good as Germany, Italy, Spain or even San Marino if it fits the agenda.

However, only hindsight (as is often the case) will prove whether the last statement in your above post or the last sentence in the post by BST will turn out to be correct.
100% agree hound

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 31, 2021, 02:30:06 pm by Redandwhite »
BST, the new royal yacht could loosely be classed as investing in the national infrastructure? Maybe
If of course it drums up the business I'm sure it will .

From lurking on this forum over the years, I would have been under the impression you would advocate big investment in national infrastructure/assets .
Granted we're not building the hoover dam here, but I'd not dismiss it as "a bit of bling"
First thing it does is hugely benefit British ship building, I'm sure they need something to do now the new aircraft carriers are finished!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 08:24:53 pm by Redandwhite »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 31, 2021, 03:27:13 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
From what I remember, BST has advocated national investment in fixed Capital assets, not current Capital assets.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on May 31, 2021, 07:35:52 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It's only an asset if it generates more new income than it costs to run.

Well not necessarily. I'd argue it would sell for more than it's cost even after a few years once used by many famous people, royal families etc.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 31, 2021, 09:12:49 pm by Dagenham Rover »

As far as I'm aware the Royal Yacht Britannia did generate more income than cost (i could be wrong) so there no reason to suggest any different. It isn't just another mode of transport for the Royals its similar to tourists coming to London  Changing of the Guard, Handing over of the keys at the Tower, Beefeaters, West End shows, Museums  all generate more than they cost then start going down the list hotels, restaurants to burger stalls and back up to business delegates  hiring the numerous Worshipful Company Halls who then hire waitering staff, musicians, disco's Taxi's mini cabs etc etc  and that is the same for whatever port the Royal Yacht is berthed. In my previous life as a professional musician in London and the surrounds you really could see the knock on effect

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 31, 2021, 09:14:51 pm by drfchound »

As far as I'm aware the Royal Yacht Britannia did generate more income than cost (i could be wrong) so there no reason to suggest any different. It isn't just another mode of transport for the Royals its similar to tourists coming to London  Changing of the Guard, Handing over of the keys at the Tower, Beefeaters, West End shows, Museums  all generate more than they cost then start going down the list hotels, restaurants to burger stalls and back up to business delegates  hiring the numerous Worshipful Company Halls who then hire waitering staff, musicians, disco's Taxi's mini cabs etc etc  and that is the same for whatever port the Royal Yacht is berthed. In my previous life as a professional musician in London and the surrounds you really could see the knock on effect

Yeah, but what did the yacht (Romans) do for us.......

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 31, 2021, 09:45:42 pm by Dagenham Rover »

They provided half the exhibits in the museums that the taxi, uber, minicab that the tourist use to go to to see who provide the guides. the overpriced cheeseburgers ...............................:) :)   Yeh I know :) :)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 31, 2021, 09:57:13 pm by drfchound »

They provided half the exhibits in the museums that the taxi, uber, minicab that the tourist use to go to to see who provide the guides. the overpriced cheeseburgers ...............................:) :)   Yeh I know :) :)

LoL.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 31, 2021, 10:20:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

How does that earn us money if folk flock to see it when it is docked in Dubai, or Sydney, or Cape Town?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 31, 2021, 11:06:07 pm by SydneyRover »

Well not necessarily. I'd argue it would sell for more than it's cost even after a few years once used by many famous people, royal families etc.

If you could name any boat at all that has been resold for more than it's build cost it would support your argument pud, refits cost the earth. Boats are holes into to which money is continually shovelled.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012