Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:16:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Writing’s on the Wall?  (Read 2524 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Writing’s on the Wall?
« on June 08, 2021, 12:02:29 pm by Alan Southstand »
Quote from Karl Robinson at Oxford:

"There are teams in our league offering £10,000 a week for defenders and you’re thinking ‘this is ludicrous where this league is going’."

Claiming they have had to up their transfer budget just to keep pace with how the league is going!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Writing’s on the Wall?
« Reply #1 on June 08, 2021, 12:14:55 pm by GazLaz »
You are always going to get big teams with bigger budgets at the top of any division. Is the salary cap still in place?

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 08, 2021, 12:16:47 pm by aidanstu »
He will make his mind up; in February he was pushing for the salary cap to be got rid of.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/19079678.karl-robinson-welcomes-efl-salary-cap-scrap/

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 08, 2021, 12:35:36 pm by roversdude »
He will make his mind up; in February he was pushing for the salary cap to be got rid of.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/19079678.karl-robinson-welcomes-efl-salary-cap-scrap/

Typical moaning scouser same as Paul Jewell

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 08, 2021, 01:03:09 pm by selby »
  It could be interesting if crowds are not let into grounds in numbers again, there will be some big not so big clubs joining the Wendies.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 08, 2021, 01:24:16 pm by jmt23 »
Thing is to clubs like Sunderland and I suppose SWFC to an extent £10,000 a week is viable and easily within their normal budget. No point in moaning about it, they have bigger fan bases and that brings the money - the problem comes from clubs and managers trying to stretch to compete with them - that is clearly a fools game, with one likely result.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 08, 2021, 02:17:56 pm by silent majority »
You are always going to get big teams with bigger budgets at the top of any division. Is the salary cap still in place?

Last seasons salary cap limits were dropped just after Christmas and they returned to SCMP levels, i.e. league 1 is 60% of turnover.

There's still talk that they will try something new for this season but I can't see it happening. The Fan Led review has it as a major point and I'm convinced that that will deliver.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 08, 2021, 02:27:18 pm by PDX_Rover »
What do you think anout parachute payments?

Personally I’m against them. It rewards failure and gives clubs receiving them an unfair advantage.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 08, 2021, 03:01:31 pm by aidanstu »

Personally I’m against them. It rewards failure and gives clubs receiving them an unfair advantage.

They also keep staff in jobs, ensure clubs survive and allow smaller clubs to compete rye at a higher level without going shit or bust.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 08, 2021, 05:40:32 pm by Spud »
Surely player contracts should reflect what division they're in though, parachute payments just seem to fund relegated clubs having the best budgets the following season, why should they?

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 08, 2021, 08:04:26 pm by jmt23 »
I think parachute payments were only brought around to keep the top clubs within the top league. Its a sneaky way of having a closed shop, you go down but have similar resources available to get straight back - doesn't work all the time though, just most of it.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 09, 2021, 05:05:10 pm by DRNaith »

I blame 21st century sports days.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 09, 2021, 05:30:53 pm by Superspy »

I blame 21st century sports days.

Good old participation medals.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012