Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:51:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England/Euros Thread  (Read 37609 times)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: England/Euros Thread
« Reply #120 on June 14, 2021, 09:35:43 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We should be looking to pin them back with possession they’ve no pace so if we keep them deep they shouldn’t offer much. They’ll be up for it though.

Think Grealish would be a decent pick if we’re going to have lots of the ball. He’ll draw a lot of fouls and probably penalties if the Scots are too enthusiastic

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on June 14, 2021, 09:50:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I swear I cannot out into words how much I despise the Spanish form of football.

85% possession. 3 shots on target. Technically refined but utterly sterile.

I'd be tempted to bring in a basketball-type possession law. But f**k it, let's make it really bite. If you have possession of the ball for more than 2 minutes without shooting, your ball-holding midfielder has a toe amputated.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on June 14, 2021, 10:32:00 pm by drfchound »
We should be looking to pin them back with possession they’ve no pace so if we keep them deep they shouldn’t offer much. They’ll be up for it though.

Think Grealish would be a decent pick if we’re going to have lots of the ball. He’ll draw a lot of fouls and probably penalties if the Scots are too enthusiastic

I think that there are going to be lots of players in the Scots penalty area on a regular basis.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on June 14, 2021, 11:18:46 pm by SydneyRover »
The Scots had their chances, fantastic goal from halfway for the Czechs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd_uiYxw47o

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on June 15, 2021, 08:01:24 am by Pancho Regan »
I swear I cannot out into words how much I despise the Spanish form of football.

I'd be tempted to bring in a basketball-type possession law. But f**k it, let's make it really bite. If you have possession of the ball for more than 2 minutes without shooting, your ball-holding midfielder has a toe amputated.

Not sure about the toe-removal plan BST but I agree totally about Spain's style of play last night.

I missed the first half so I can't comment on that, but their second half performance was absolutely boring.
I really couldn't believe it at times, it was as if they had been told to forget that the main aim in a game of football was to score a goal, and had instead invented a whole new version of the game in which the main aim is to see how many passes you can make without actually threatening the opponent's goal.

I was so chuffed that Sweden held out for the point.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on June 15, 2021, 08:36:55 am by drfchound »
Spain have been playing the “see how many passes we can complete” game for years now and in general, yes it is boring.
Too many managers have tried to copy that style but with players who aren’t technically anywhere near as good.
It is killing the excitement in the game.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on June 15, 2021, 08:47:57 am by Alan Southstand »
Scotland had their chances all right, 19 shots, but only 4 on target. Whereas the Czechs had 10 shots but had 7 on target.

I’m afraid Marshall had two failings, for the first goal a failure to command his 6 yard box and for the second goal, go for a walkabout!

Having said that, he made one or two really good saves.

If the Scots run out of steam after 70 mins, like they did against the Czechs, then England could add to their goals for column.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on June 15, 2021, 08:52:40 am by drfchound »
Scotland had their chances all right, 19 shots, but only 4 on target. Whereas the Czechs had 10 shots but had 7 on target.

I’m afraid Marshall had two failings, for the first goal a failure to command his 6 yard box and for the second goal, go for a walkabout!

Having said that, he made one or two really good saves.

If the Scots run out of steam after 70 mins, like they did against the Czechs, then England could add to their goals for column.

Alan, the Scots had far more than four shots on target mate.
Don’t forget that the shots on target stats don’t include ones blocked or deflected over the bar or wide.
They have quite a few of those.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on June 15, 2021, 09:53:20 am by Monkcaster_Rover »

All fart no shit. I'd be confident if we came up against Spain on that viewing.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on June 15, 2021, 10:37:42 am by GazLaz »
The points about a slow tempo possession game not being exciting to watch are valid, the ones about Spain not creating much are nonsense. On another day they score two or three, they missed some great chances and the Swedish keeper made a few decent saves.

They are a team that’s had a horrific lead up to the tournament with the Covid issues so can only improve. They looked a very good team last night with plenty of improvement to come. Judging badly them because they failed to score in one game is nonsense.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on June 15, 2021, 10:39:30 am by pib »

Thought it was just me. The media seem to lap up the way they play but to be honest it's bored me to tears for ages, even when it was producing results in their golden era. I'd much rather see a less refined "up-and-at-em" style personally.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on June 15, 2021, 10:53:51 am by BillyStubbsTears »
So cheats do prosper.

Aaron Ramsdale, who got Marquis sent off two years ago with the most outrageous cheating I have ever seen on a football pitch, has just been called up to the England squad.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on June 15, 2021, 11:31:22 am by idler »
I was there that day. The way that him and the centre half were celebrating as Marquis got sent off was disgusting.
The ref was a complete numpty for buying it as well.
We were garbage for most of that game though.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on June 15, 2021, 12:05:27 pm by RoversAlias »
I mean, Marquis wasn't exactly an innocent player himself in general. More players than not are "cheats" at times now. Ramsdale is a good keeper and to be fair, he's only going to be training and sitting on the bench anyway.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 12:17:51 pm by RoversAlias »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on June 15, 2021, 12:15:43 pm by NickDRFC »
I mean, Marquis wasn't exactly an innocent player himself in general. More players than not are "cheats" at times now. Ramsgate is a good keeper and to be fair, he's only going to be training and sitting on the bench anyway.

I don’t rate Ramsdale at all. The difference between what Henderson brought to Sheff Utd and what he brings is night and day, and I imagine that’s an opinion shared by a lot of Utd fans. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him spend the rest of his career in the Championship.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on June 15, 2021, 12:54:29 pm by Pancho Regan »
The points about a slow tempo possession game not being exciting to watch are valid, the ones about Spain not creating much are nonsense. On another day they score two or three, they missed some great chances and the Swedish keeper made a few decent saves.

They are a team that’s had a horrific lead up to the tournament with the Covid issues so can only improve. They looked a very good team last night with plenty of improvement to come. Judging badly them because they failed to score in one game is nonsense.

But it was turgid, sterile, boring fare Gaz.
OK, they did create a few chances, but nothing like the number their possession should have produced.

And to be fair to Sweden, they missed the best chance of the second half so Spain could easily have lost that game 0-1.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on June 15, 2021, 01:01:01 pm by Draytonian III »
I rate Ramsdale more than Henderson, I can’t believe everyone is being taken in by all this Henderson hype

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on June 15, 2021, 01:16:11 pm by GazLaz »

OK, they did create a few chances, but nothing like the number their possession should have produced.

And to be fair to Sweden, they missed the best chance of the second half so Spain could easily have lost that game 0-1.

Possession is not only a means to creating goal scoring opportunities, controlling the game like they do also potentially limits the number of opportunities the opposition have to create chances. Sweden had a couple of good opportunities I agree, the Spanish defence is poor, the possession is as much about protecting them as it is creating chances I think.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on June 15, 2021, 01:28:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Possession is not only a means to creating goal scoring opportunities, controlling the game like they do also potentially limits the number of opportunities the opposition have to create chances. Sweden had a couple of good opportunities I agree, the Spanish defence is poor, the possession is as much about protecting them as it is creating chances I think.

The problem is that it destroys the concept of football as a visceral experience. It throttles the ebb and flow from the game, which becomes as sterile as a game of chess. The attraction is cerebral, not physical. Admiring the organisation and discipline, rather then the spontaneous and instinctive. Personally, that is not what I want from football.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on June 15, 2021, 01:29:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I mean, Marquis wasn't exactly an innocent player himself in general. More players than not are "cheats" at times now. Ramsdale is a good keeper and to be fair, he's only going to be training and sitting on the bench anyway.

What Ramsdale did that day took cheating to a whole new level. it was disgusting to see a professional footballer do that.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on June 15, 2021, 01:40:33 pm by drfchound »
Even if the ref got duped, WTF was the linesman doing?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #141 on June 15, 2021, 01:50:53 pm by idler »
The ref was nearer than the linesman if I remember rightly. We were at the other end and it didn’t even look like a foul from there. The ref was as bad as our performance that day. The only good thing that day was their social club with real ale on tap.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on June 15, 2021, 02:11:17 pm by NickDRFC »
The ref was nearer than the linesman if I remember rightly. We were at the other end and it didn’t even look like a foul from there. The ref was as bad as our performance that day. The only good thing that day was their social club with real ale on tap.

That’s how I remember it - the ref had a decent view and wasn’t far away.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on June 15, 2021, 02:17:28 pm by GazLaz »

The problem is that it destroys the concept of football as a visceral experience. It throttles the ebb and flow from the game, which becomes as sterile as a game of chess. The attraction is cerebral, not physical. Admiring the organisation and discipline, rather then the spontaneous and instinctive. Personally, that is not what I want from football.

I tend to agree with that.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on June 15, 2021, 02:55:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

That’s how I remember it - the ref had a decent view and wasn’t far away.

Being the nerdy bell end that I am, I screen grabbed the images of the event from the match day video. Attached.

How in the name of God's gonads could that ref be watching that and send off Marquis. He should have given us a penalty.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on June 15, 2021, 03:15:43 pm by RugbyRover »

I tend to agree with that.

so how did you two cope watching Rovers under SOD?

I remember meeting up with a couple of mates to go watch Rovers play Charlton when we were in our pomp.  We never gave them a kick. I was sitting there expecting my mates to be really impressed but all they said was "this is fcuking boring". They only got excited when Charlton lumped it forward and there was a bit of "fight ball"......

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on June 15, 2021, 03:18:47 pm by RugbyRover »

But who was the "turgid, sterile, boring" team?.........Spain who tried to play football, or Sweden who just put 10 men behind the ball and hoped for a bit of luck?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on June 15, 2021, 04:37:26 pm by EasyforDennis »
Changing the subject. Why do footballers always have to answer a question with.... Yeh no. It almost as annoying as... So

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on June 15, 2021, 06:06:55 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

But who was the "turgid, sterile, boring" team?.........Spain who tried to play football, or Sweden who just put 10 men behind the ball and hoped for a bit of luck?

Thats a good point hard to be dynamic when a team just puts 11 behind the ball and defends there box. Most teams will end up passing from side to side a bit.

However overall agree with that others said i used to hate watching Barca/Spain in their glory years, and to an extent Man City. For every moment of quality there were many minutes of sideways and pointless passes. As a neutral i'd watch till they went 1-0 up and then it's game over no point viewing it. There too good for anyone to realistically come back and there's nothing of note going on for a neutral unless you really love the possession stats.

It's a bit akin to a Pulis side playing 6 centre halves and playing for a corner and a clean sheet just unashamedly playing to their strengths even to the detriment of the game for a neutral. And you can't begrudge it really it.

Much preferred Barca under Enrique than Pep with Neymar/Suarez/Messi up top the played so quickly less bothered about possession but were devastating that's the football i'd love donny to emulate (obviously a league 1 version for now!!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on June 15, 2021, 07:14:07 pm by drfchound »
Changing the subject. Why do footballers always have to answer a question with.... Yeh no. It almost as annoying as... So

:that:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012