Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:52:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Defender #2 Announced at 12 - Ro-Shaun Williams  (Read 4617 times)

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
Re: Defender #2 Announced at 12 - Ro-Shaun Williams
« Reply #30 on June 18, 2021, 02:06:15 pm by jamesrover17 »
Cameron John?  Also rapid and looked really good in his loan spell at Centre Half.  We could play a really high line without fear of being caught out.  Exciting times

CJ, the second fastest player at DRFC after John Taylor.

3rd fastest I would imagine now!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 18, 2021, 02:08:23 pm by Alan Southstand »
3rd fastest I would imagine now!

Depends who the left back is? He might end up 4th fastest!

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 18, 2021, 02:17:34 pm by 5minstogo »
Could the contracted player leaving be John?

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 18, 2021, 02:30:51 pm by RugbyRover »
I'm a bit underwhelmed by this signing tbh  :unsure:

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on June 18, 2021, 02:33:05 pm by roversdude »
Contracted player leaving ? Missed that

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 18, 2021, 02:41:22 pm by jm291 »

Have to admit I am too (without trying to sound massively negative) but hope Richie sees a real player in him. Worries me that's a Donervan Daniels MK2

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 18, 2021, 02:43:28 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Have to admit I am too (without trying to sound massively negative) but hope Richie sees a real player in him. Worries me that's a Donervan Daniels MK2

Hope he doesn't become known as No-Shaun!

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 18, 2021, 02:48:16 pm by Donnybax »

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 18, 2021, 03:20:02 pm by jmt23 »
I think its a good signing, tall and very athletic. It certainly looks like he will not be out paced by anyone at this level. At the age the last two players are they have plenty of potential to fill.

I slowly getting excited about the season ahead, 3 good signings, and loads more to come.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 18, 2021, 03:50:03 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'd still like to see Cameron John given another crack at CB. He has great all round ability in that position including pace, and has chipped in with goals too.

He lost his way last season so somebody needs to get hold of him as we can’t afford to be wasting talent like his.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on June 18, 2021, 03:52:22 pm by roversdude »
I agree just hope our former managers insistence on playing him out of position has not knocked his confidence too much. Still a big talent

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 18, 2021, 03:59:54 pm by steve@dcfd »
Richie says he sees Williams improving playing alongside experienced defenders.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on June 18, 2021, 04:03:22 pm by Jonathan »
Delighted with this and all our signings to date.

There’s still a big task on to complete the rebuild, but nobody can knock the club for showing any lack of ambition so far. We’ve brought in a really promising manager and we’re backing him to get the players he wants. Hopefully we can keep this up and get the basis of the team in place for pre-season. Excellent work by all at the club.

Also, hopefully this puts an end to people saying that we can’t sign players before July 1st (like they say on here every year while other clubs are busy doing their business!). Obviously you can and this year we’ve joined them and shown some aggression in the market. It’s great to see.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 18, 2021, 04:08:31 pm by DRCraig »
Yes. Happy with this one. Good luck to him.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 18, 2021, 04:28:20 pm by Janso »
Could the contracted player leaving be John?

Could be Williams, if there is a contracted player leaving.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 18, 2021, 05:17:01 pm by jmt23 »
I would also like CJ to be given his chance at his normal position, he looked shell shocked last season - probably wondering why we signed him, and why he came. He was outstanding when he came on loan at centre back, he is a big goal threat and has a never give up attitude.

I hate players being moved out of their position - it takes years of building up awareness of your game, and surroundings. There are examples of players who can and have done this - but not many who are really successful for any length of time.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on June 18, 2021, 05:24:17 pm by scawsby steve »
I fully trust in Richie this season, and he clearly has seen some potential in this kid, so let's hope he's right.

However, this for me is by far the least impressive of the 3 signings, but then again the bar was set very high with the first 2, which were really exciting signings.

Let's not forget how atrocious our defence was last season. It's going to have to be much better in this campaign.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on June 18, 2021, 05:26:39 pm by ravenrover »
My thoughts are leaning towards a back 3 of Williams, Anderson and John

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on June 18, 2021, 05:36:49 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I reckon in midfield we'll have Bostock/Close then AJ/New DM. Then in defence we'll have a pacy one so CJ or Williams then a more experienced, better in the air, so Anderson or Butler.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on June 18, 2021, 05:43:23 pm by NickDRFC »
Whisper it quietly but is Anderson a stitched on starter for us these days? He didn’t seem like the same player after Balcombe knocked him out, perhaps John & RS-W are the future. Anderson has a huge amount of credit in the bank obviously, and you can’t really judge on the back end of the season, but right now I don’t think he’s the force we all thought he was a year ago.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on June 18, 2021, 05:43:45 pm by RoversAlias »
It looks to me like this signing is a bit of a project for Wellens, he wants to develop Williams as a football player and help him unlock his potential.

I've spoken to a Shrewsbury supporting friend and he's given me some good insights (which will likely be on the website in a week or two) of which the bottom line seems to be that he is extremely athletic, quick and strong, but that his ability on the ball is lacking and he has gone backwards or stagnated in his development a bit this last season. But we have options in that position if he isn't up to speed straight away with Anderson, John, Butler and Blythe. Horton can play there too.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on June 18, 2021, 05:49:31 pm by andyst79 »
Whisper it quietly but is Anderson a stitched on starter for us these days? He didn’t seem like the same player after Balcombe knocked him out, perhaps John & RS-W are the future. Anderson has a huge amount of credit in the bank obviously, and you can’t really judge on the back end of the season, but right now I don’t think he’s the force we all thought he was a year ago.
Anderson will be amain CB, think Williams will complement him superbly, I like to see a good old fashioned CB line Anderson who attacks the ball paired with another who's got pace who can sweep up behind if needed

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 18, 2021, 05:56:39 pm by mjg »
Always need a bit of pace at the back so although not that excited about this one I can see him getting us out of a few scrapes with his pace

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on June 18, 2021, 06:28:48 pm by Jonathan »
Re: the comments about him being shocking on the ball, I refuse to believe any pro footballer can’t play with the ball. Especially one that’s come through at a top club. He cannot be useless on the ball or he’d never have got near the MUFC system.  He just needs some trust and confidence and a system that works. Anderson was supposed to be useless with the ball and he’s not.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on June 18, 2021, 08:02:37 pm by jmt23 »
I don’t think he will be as bad as mentioned, however, Ive known lads with rapid pace and height, and very little skill - they get signed up virtually straight away.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 19, 2021, 02:30:29 pm by Drover »
Several Shrews fans believe him playing out of position contributed to a dip in his form last season.

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on June 19, 2021, 03:01:06 pm by POD »
It’s too early for Richie to start picking a starting line up as some seem to be doing on here.  He needs first of all to build a complete squad and that involves having 7/8 defenders with several of them being interchangeable between full back and centre back.  He’s not far off now with available defenders and RSW looks a good addition to the overall squad.   

TinyPortal © 2005-2012